Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Defiance Industries posted:

If there's going to be a goon group on Landroval now I might actually play this again. I bought this when it first came out but quit after the guild I was in back in the day broke up. Keep trying to come back but there's way too much stuff to sort through coming in blind. Thanks for the OP, it's helping me figure out poo poo in the game now (as opposed to seven years ago)

It's more of a goon group mostly still on Silverlode who have alts and take peaks at Landroval. I had a 50 something runekeeper on Riddermark and just transferred it to Landroval. Process took about 40 minutes, everything went smoothly, mail to other characters all works as though nothing happened. Brought over 250 mithril coins I won in a lottery or something, or maybe something I owned was converted to mithril coins when they added them five or so years ago? Not sure, all I know is a free transfer just got me like 20 bucks worth of mithril coins on Landroval, and I really am impressed with the system used for character transfers.

The only downside to it being so well done is that two servers of people went to Landroval very quickly today. It's up to you if you want to start there or start on Silverlode,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Not starting, getting back in. My Captain has been on Landroval since really early on so I'm not going anywhere.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I just hit 45, do I need to buy Moria if I'm a subscriber?

Yep. Don't bother buying it with points, though, just buy the four pack with all the expansions except Helms Deep with cash. Costs $40.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also I'm thinking of doing Hytbold. Would it be easier to do it on level (though I don't intend to do every quest in East Rohan), or would it be best to do it with my 100 who has done everything already in East Rohan but that?

I went back and did it last after doing everything else in Rohan, and I regret it. It's soooo tedious and there's very little progress you can make each day. It would have made much more sense to start it as soon as I got the quest, and do the dailies before I did more interesting stuff.

I also didn't get anything good for doing it because I was so over-leveled by the time I finished.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also I'm thinking of doing Hytbold. Would it be easier to do it on level (though I don't intend to do every quest in East Rohan), or would it be best to do it with my 100 who has done everything already in East Rohan but that?

Always easier to overgear things. The problem with Hytbold won't be the content though, it will be not killing yourself before you finish.

I ended up doing about 60-70% during a big play period, then leaving the game for several months, coming back, catching up to current content, then finally finishing it for no real reason. Terrible decision on their part to not really close out the main storyline until you finish that terrible grind.

I just hit 45, do I need to buy Moria if I'm a subscriber?

Yes, it is an expansion.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And if I buy the four pack, i can basically stay F2P from Moria until cap then?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
You can always be F2P, so I'm not sure what you mean. You never have to go VIP. I've always been F2P (beyond the first month VIP for a few account permanent perks), but just buy points when they do a double bonus points sale and use those for quest packs / expansions as needed (combined with ones the game gives you for doing things and working on some deeds).

But check out this to see where gaps are: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Zones_by_level . I'm not sure which expansions are in the four pack. But odds are you'll need to buy a zone here and there - especially since after Helm's Deep, they're not doing expansions anymore. If you do every quest in a zone though, you'll come out higher than the range, which should help if you're trying to spend as little as possible. After the server merge, you should also be able to spend a lot of time leveling in group content (like Big Battles) if needed, I'd hope.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

As in, right now if I want to level I either have to buy a zone or sub since I haven't really unlocked anything. If I buy the expansions that content is open to me regardless of status and I don't need to buy a quest pack or anything?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Not starting, getting back in. My Captain has been on Landroval since really early on so I'm not going anywhere.

I'm bad at reading words sorry, we'll probably have 20 or so level 100s coming to Landroval once our server gets it's turn so I'd make some friends on Landroval or even just solo up to as close as 100 as you can before we get there if you feel like running goon groups.

Honestly Landroval is so friendly you'll probably end up with any many new friends as you do people from Nazgun.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

alucinor posted:

I went back and did it last after doing everything else in Rohan, and I regret it. It's soooo tedious and there's very little progress you can make each day. It would have made much more sense to start it as soon as I got the quest, and do the dailies before I did more interesting stuff.

I also didn't get anything good for doing it because I was so over-leveled by the time I finished.

xZAOx posted:

Always easier to overgear things. The problem with Hytbold won't be the content though, it will be not killing yourself before you finish.

I ended up doing about 60-70% during a big play period, then leaving the game for several months, coming back, catching up to current content, then finally finishing it for no real reason. Terrible decision on their part to not really close out the main storyline until you finish that terrible grind.

Completionism is a big reason for me to want to do it. The reason I want to do it with my 100 is only because I've already done everything in East Rohan with that character, and seeing that reputation somehow plays a part, I feel it'd be easier to just give myself that headstart. I didn't care for Rohan much the first time around so I don't think my patience would last long were I to re-do that whole process on the on level character.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

As in, right now if I want to level I either have to buy a zone or sub since I haven't really unlocked anything. If I buy the expansions that content is open to me regardless of status and I don't need to buy a quest pack or anything?

If you buy the expansion, you get all the goodies in it forever, yes, VIP or not. Quests, dungeons, etc.

That doesn't mean you won't have a level gap somewhere though where you might want to buy a quest pack to get you through (check the zones by level link I posted). I can't remember exactly what lines up where. If nothing else, once you get past Helm's Deep (ends at 95 I think?) you'll need to buy some Gondor stuff if you want to do quests in that part of the world (they'd take you to 100).

But, you can also fill any gaps, and even post-HD, with Big Battles and what not if you're dead set on never buying a quest pack. You'll just have trouble finding non-max-level groups on Silverlode right now. I think that's a terribly unfun way to play though, hah.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Completionism is a big reason for me to want to do it. The reason I want to do it with my 100 is only because I've already done everything in East Rohan with that character, and seeing that reputation somehow plays a part, I feel it'd be easier to just give myself that headstart. I didn't care for Rohan much the first time around so I don't think my patience would last long were I to re-do that whole process on the on level character.

Of course, completion-ism is the only reason any of us are stupid enough to suffer that grind hah. Remember that you're talking to the guy who started when The Hobbit came out and did every solo-able quest and a lot of the group ones on the same character :)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

xZAOx posted:

You'll just have trouble finding non-max-level groups on Silverlode right now. I think that's a terribly unfun way to play though, hah.

God this is the worst problem with this game. I can't wait for the server transfer, as I'm hoping that alleviates it. Finding groups for the lower level instances is a real goddamned chore.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

xZAOx posted:

The problem with Hytbold won't be the content though, it will be not killing yourself before you finish.

This, 1000 times this. Hytbold was the single biggest thing that made me burnt out about this game. I played pretty continously over the course of 6 years, but after completing Hytbold (frankly I'm surprised I even bothered to finish it) I really haven't played since. I think there was at least one other person in this thread who pretty much had the same experience.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I did Hytbold on-level mainly because I wanted the housing items, but getting a teal gear set too made it kinda sorta worth it. Doing it these days would be for people that hate themselves. I believe it was 47 straight days I did dailies, and I took an extended break from the game after I finished. It took an average of 15-20 minutes per day, but it became hard to log in towards the end of the grind.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How interesting is Forochel? I just realized I've never touched it and I'm getting set to start Moria. I figure I'm probably way over leveled for it by this point.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

How interesting is Forochel? I just realized I've never touched it and I'm getting set to start Moria. I figure I'm probably way over leveled for it by this point.

How much do you like the colour white and also difficult-to-spell names?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You meddle in stupid eskimo politics. If you REALLY want a snow zone grab Misty Mountains.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

I liked the exoticness of Forochel, but it is a large empty wasteland, but what else would you want it to be? Quest progression is pretty straightforward and the plot isn't half bad.

xZAOx posted:

Of course, completion-ism is the only reason any of us are stupid enough to suffer that grind hah. Remember that you're talking to the guy who started when The Hobbit came out and did every solo-able quest and a lot of the group ones on the same character :)

I know. I was hoping you'd respond too cause you're the one guy who I know really knows what that sort of grind can be like. I'm trying to complete everything as well, though spread out amongst several characters. I think I'll do Hytbold but I won't go crazy over it, I doubt I'll give it a straight 47 days go but just here and there when I can tolerate it.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Forochel is something you'd either love or hate, and I'm not sure you'd know which reaction you'd have to it until you played through the zone. I'm still not entirely sure why Forochel is even in the game, given how far away it is from important locations in the books. I personally enjoyed the atmosphere and the storyline, but I know many people loathe the white-on-white snowy landscape.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I find Forochel pretty, the sky is beautiful when semi-permanent aurora borealis.

But yeah there is no connection to the books lore so much.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
More seriously, now that I'm not phone-posting: Yeah, it's pretty, and very Finnish. It's doable if you want to go there, but a lot of people don't like it. I went on my current character long enough to get the Heroine of the Lost title, but didn't finish it off right now.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Hytbold isn't as bad as it used to be. The only grind now is actually getting all four factions to kindred. They upped how many tokens each quest gives you to ten, and every rebuild only costs one token. You'll be swimming in tokens by the time you actually unlock the kindred tier rebuilds.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The next US server that's getting to transfer is on Tuesday, and this week it was also Tuesday. If they manage to keep up with turning on transfers for a new server each week, Silverlode could be ready to go on November 10th.

edit: I just inspected this other Guardian with 5 pieces of gold jewelry and a mixed teal armor set. He has 38k morale vs. my 24k. That's a pretty drat big gap between quest gear and group instance gear.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 3, 2015

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
Anyone know if/when we'll get transfers from Brandywine? I've been away for quite a bit and have come back to find my Kin disbanded any a couple of folks I used to play with have vanished. I'd probably transfer if the was a decent chance of a Goony group to mess around with.
Anyway, for now if you need a hand on Brandy I've got a couple of high levels and I'm fully guilded with all crafts, hit up Dunkadin or Dunkorin if you need something.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

ruffz posted:

edit: I just inspected this other Guardian with 5 pieces of gold jewelry and a mixed teal armor set. He has 38k morale vs. my 24k. That's a pretty drat big gap between quest gear and group instance gear.

I have over 40k morale on my captain in tank spec with only the DA essence gear and no gold jewelry. Most of my jewelry is the teal level 95 epic battle stuff. Captains do get a couple morale boosts thanks to a buff and the banner, but I would say mid 30k should be achievable without too much effort? One of my guardian kinmates has over 30k and is decked out in full crafted gear.

Update 17! Someone on Reddit compiled an album of most of the new level 100 craftables: http://imgur.com/a/BGweZ
We're finally getting tier 10, so new raw materials and everything. The craftable 3-slot essence gear looks interesting but seems more suited for tank specs due to the lack of might/agi/will.

The patch notes: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7451940#post7451940

quote:

Known Issues:

German and French localization for this beta build is missing in many many places.
The Epic book quests are not available during this open beta.
The Epic Battle: Hammer of the Underworld is not available during this open beta.
In the Epic Battle: Defence of Minas Tirith, the secondary quest "Despair in the Streets" is not fully implemented, and the portcullis doors currently interfere with soldier movement. Additionally, difficulty balance is not complete for the epic battles.
In Minas Tirith, Bergil's quests are not completable.

Release Notes:

Update 17 includes Old Anórien with three new regions (Talath Anor, Pelennor Fields, and Minas Tirith), two new epic battles, a new crafting tier, and an extension of the imbued legendary item system. You can also see a beta version of our new Store.

Cosmetic Weapons:

You can now turn off your weapons when they are sheathed by clicking the new eye icons in the cosmetic outfit page. In combat, the weapons will reappear.
Cosmetic weapon visibility rules have been loosened. We have set up a number of categories of items that can be interchanged with each other: all one-handed weapons (including cosmetic-only items), all shields, two-handed clubs/swords/implements, and two-handed hammers/axes/halberds. All other categories (such as Staff, Spear, etc) can only be interchanged with other staffs, spears, etc.You can no longer waste a dye trying to dye shields in the wardrobe.
Shields and weapons should again appear at their normal size.

Crafting:

Crafters now have access to a tenth crafting tier: the Anórien crafting tier. Crafters of this tier can use Poplar, Anórien Skarn, Zircon, and Tattered Anórien Parchments to craft items for level 100 characters.
All crafting nodes can now be harvested while mounted.
All crafting materials stack to 500.
There is no longer a distinction between Vegetable, Grain, and Pipe-weed Farmlands. There is now only one kind of Farmland.
East Gondor craft nodes have been replaced with the tier 10 craft nodes also found in Old Anórien.

Imbued Legendary Items:

DPS / Main Item Legacies have been granted 4 more available tiers and can unlock an additional 4.
Imbued stat Legacies have been granted 6 more available tiers and can unlock an additional 3.
All other imbued legacies have been granted 3 more available tiers and can unlock an additional 6.

Burglar

Burglar's Gamble Chance Legacy now gives Cash Out Damage after tier 35.

Captain

Muster Courage Fear Resist now grants Shield/Song/Blade-brother Critical Defence after Tier 35.

Champion

Swift Strike/Swift Blade Power Cost has a maximum tier of 38.

Guardian

Guardian's Pledge Cooldown now gives Retaliation Damage after Tier 35.
Guardian's Pledge Magnitude now gives Shield Swipe Damage after tier 35.
Turn the Tables Cooldown now gives Turn the Tables Damage after tier 35.

Hunter

Strength Quick Shot Slow now gives more chance to get extra Focus after tier 35.
Quick Shot Critical Chance now gives more Quick Shot critical damage after tier 35.

Loremaster

Signs of Power Durations now grants Signs of Power Debuff Rating after Tier 35.

Minstrel

Cry of the Chorus Cooldown now grants Ballad Critical Magnitude after Tier 35.
Triumphant Spirit Cooldown now grants Triumphant Spirit Critical Magnitude after Tier 35.
Rally Cooldown now grants Major Ballad Healing after Tier 35.
Anthem Duration now grants Melee Skills Critical Rating after Tier 35.
Still as Death Cooldown now grants Song of Distraction Cooldown after Tier 35.
Call to Ioreth Cooldown now grants Call to Ioreth Healing Skills Critical Magnitude after Tier 35.

Rune-Keeper

Healing Attuned Power Cost now grants Revive Morale and Power Restoration after Tier 35.
Battle Attuned Power Cost now grants Chill of Winter Target Resistance penalty after Tier 35.
Steady Attuned Power Cost now grants Armour of the Elements Tactical Mitigation after Tier 35.

Class changes:

Beornings now have access to Bows.
The Beorning Club-damage trait now applies to axes as well.
Beornings with more than 100 Wrath should gain +15% Crit Chance from the Wrathful trait, instead of +0%.
Champion Horns can no longer miss. They can still be resisted.
Minstrel - Call to Ioreth now grants +5% critical magnitude to healing skills, in addition to making the next healing skill automatically a critical hit.
Wardens will now animate properly when using the Taunt skill when unarmed.

Other stuff:

Hope Tokens now have a 3-minute cooldown, instead of 15 minutes.
All 6-man and 12-man Roving Threats now have a chance to drop Morgul Crests.
The Dome of Stars, The Ruined City, and The Sunken Labyrinth now all give 1 Morgul Crest upon completion of the tier 2 instance. This is in addition to any Morgul Crests from the tier 2 Challenge chest.
Epic Battles - fixed merit progress display for some of the secondary quests which used to not show any progress at all.
There's a new option that allows you to control the opacity of floating names on the UI Settings options page.
Added an audio option to disable combat music. When checked, landscape music plays uninterrupted by combat.
A handful of tweaks have been made to the player music system: Bagpipe notes should no longer clip, the Misty * Mountain Harp has had its note lengths slightly shortened, and the Theorbo's seven highest notes should now sound more like a Theorbo.
Level-scaled players should no longer lose their scaling buff when teleporting between Ettenmoors and Osgiliath.
In the Battle for Osgiliath, Creep NPCs have less Morale and Freep NPCs have more.
The store now has a minimum width of 600px to prevent the scrollbar from disappearing.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
That all owns. Bludborn has some videos of Minas Tirith on YouTube but I'm trying really hard not to spoil it for myself and only watched a minute. Looks like Beorning DPS will be catching up to Beorning heals a bit. All the new gear having +1000 and whatever morale should finally cut the ridiculous monopoly on morale essence down, and the price down by at least half I'd imagine.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Some pictures of the new zone maps. I'm curious if Anorien will connect to Eastern Rohan at some point. I had speculated before they announced the Paths of the Dead that we might be traveling through Anorien to get to Minas Tirith, but they ended up taking us through the Paths instead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The cosmetic weapon stuff sounds great. I used to use a light shield on my warden because all the warden shields looked like poo poo. Why did it take them so long to implement it?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

sassassin posted:

The cosmetic weapon stuff sounds great. I used to use a light shield on my warden because all the warden shields looked like poo poo. Why did it take them so long to implement it?

They said it could never be done, the same with server transfers,

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It is pretty easy even on level, they have made it much quicker, i rebuilt everything for shits and giggles and maxed out all the reps on the character I was playing. It was probably easier for me at the time because I only played a couple of hours a day. The daily quests are still annoying though, some a lot more than others.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

CheeseSpawn posted:

They said it could never be done, the same with server transfers,

Developer speak for "we can't be bothered".

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zvim posted:

It is pretty easy even on level, they have made it much quicker, i rebuilt everything for shits and giggles and maxed out all the reps on the character I was playing. It was probably easier for me at the time because I only played a couple of hours a day. The daily quests are still annoying though, some a lot more than others.

I'm doing it on my level 100 mainly because I don't want to actually go through all of East Rohan again on another character to collect the preliminary rep. The last few bits are bad enough as they are. That said the quests aren't awful. They can be somewhat interesting, though there are some that can go gently caress themselves. Took me far too long to honor the 3 Rohirrim tombs. The other perk of being 100 is that none of enemies attack me in the public instances so I can search for things in peace.

That said what's the best way/where are the best hubs to pop an XP booster to get myself out of East Rohan and into Wildermore. I'm at lvl 79 and I think I need a minimum of 82 or something to hit Wildermore right? Also is all of the Harwick chain necessary to progress into other areas?

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
I'm looking forward to you guys coming over to Landy, Landy had a decent population level before, but it is getting a great influx of players, a lot of Elendilmir players moved to Landy, so much so that the first weekend the server was full. However, they increased the capacity of the server and it has been rock solid since.

Elendilmir was the unofficial oceanic server and Landy now has a decent population of players during Australian prime time, it was likely accidental but Brandy being blocked from transfers and Elendilmir being the first to transfer has made Landy pretty awesome atm.

Can't wait to play with Nazgun again, the kin I am in atm blows chunks.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm doing it on my level 100 mainly because I don't want to actually go through all of East Rohan again on another character to collect the preliminary rep. The last few bits are bad enough as they are. That said the quests aren't awful. They can be somewhat interesting, though there are some that can go gently caress themselves. Took me far too long to honor the 3 Rohirrim tombs. The other perk of being 100 is that none of enemies attack me in the public instances so I can search for things in peace.

That said what's the best way/where are the best hubs to pop an XP booster to get myself out of East Rohan and into Wildermore. I'm at lvl 79 and I think I need a minimum of 82 or something to hit Wildermore right? Also is all of the Harwick chain necessary to progress into other areas?

Yeah, I probably would skip most or ER on alts.

I am not sure about the hub thing, I pretty much only went to a new hub when I was done with the previous one and they told me to go to the next one, not sure if it's linear or not. I remember reading a Power Level guide with which hubs to do and when to trigger the exp boosters, if you can find that on google it will probably tell you what you need.

I can't remember the min level on wildermore, sorry, not much use. :P I did all the quests so I could get the mounted exp and the LI exp as I didn't have much on that server.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I looked for one and found one. I'm surprised it suggests just grinding killing mobs instead of doing quests. Claims that with boosts going from 1 to 85 takes <85 hours and without thereabouts 120 hours. Pretty surprising. Probably won't do it.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I looked for one and found one. I'm surprised it suggests just grinding killing mobs instead of doing quests. Claims that with boosts going from 1 to 85 takes <85 hours and without thereabouts 120 hours. Pretty surprising. Probably won't do it.

Sounds a bit dull.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Zvim posted:

Developer speak for "we can't be bothered".

To be fair to the devs, what we actually got wasn't the cosmetic weapon system everyone was asking for.

(The thing that people asked for included stuff like having a two hander cosmetic weapon override a character's combat animations if they were dual-wielding or sword and boarding. Not sure how that was supposed to work, but...)

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Zvim posted:

Elendilmir was the unofficial oceanic server and Landy now has a decent population of players during Australian prime time, it was likely accidental but Brandy being blocked from transfers and Elendilmir being the first to transfer has made Landy pretty awesome atm.

That would be pretty awesome for people in North America that like to play overnight or really early in the morning. Having people playing around the clock is great for a server.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zvim posted:

Sounds a bit dull.

Most power leveling guides for MMOs are like that. The logic usually runs that any time that you are traveling or doing something that isn't stabbing a mob you are slowing down your progression. It's tedious as all gently caress and only for morons and people who are being paid to level other people's accounts. I'd much, MUCH rather take 120 hours to get to a level by looking at poo poo, doing quests, and generally being entertained than 80 or even 60 hours of mind numbing boredom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Most power leveling guides for MMOs are like that. The logic usually runs that any time that you are traveling or doing something that isn't stabbing a mob you are slowing down your progression. It's tedious as all gently caress and only for morons and people who are being paid to level other people's accounts. I'd much, MUCH rather take 120 hours to get to a level by looking at poo poo, doing quests, and generally being entertained than 80 or even 60 hours of mind numbing boredom.

Ugh yes. Don't use a powerleveling guide unless you want to burn out. Back in the vanilla version of the game, there used to be gaps in leveling where you'd almost HAVE to grind if you couldn't find a group to do fellowship quests. Grinding was horrible. In LOTRO, the fun is in the journey to the level cap. Take your time, stop and smoke some pipeweed at the scenic locations. Trust me, it's a lot more fun that way. This game is still beautiful after 8 years. If you're not a LOTR or Tolkien fan and don't care about the story or environments, I don't really know why you'd play this game.