Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm entirely new to this and giving it a try because I have a bit of spare time and a lovely, old computer that won't run anything made in the last 2 years.

Can someone give a rundown on the classes? Are there any that are good for a newbie or any that are terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I was eyeballing either the captain or guardian. I've been dicking around with the captain right now, but any compelling reason why the guardian might be more interestin / more fun?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How often do they have these 2x TP sales? I'm liking the game and can tell I'll eventually want a few more frills on the account. Is this something where I can just wait a month for the next sale or should I grab some now?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

If you feel you're enjoying the game, your best option is probably to subscribe for a month or two. The subscription itself will unlock a bunch of things like trait slots and inventory bags that stay unlocked even if you lapse, and you'll accumulate a few points to buy extras later. I'm not sure exactly where the sub/f2p breakpoints are right now, but it has almost always been a good idea to sub for your initial leveling period, then re-evaluate what you want to do once you get a bit further into the game.

Is there anything written up anywhere that breaks down the sub/ftp stuff?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So how do you go about getting in the goon guild

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving :laffo: drank beer in the guild house ended up in the misty mountains surrounded by Giants 30 lvls higher than me.

10/10 would go on s bender again

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm having a blast with guardian.

Edit I meant to ask: is guardian just obscenely durable even for a tank or are low level fellowship quests jokes? I've yet to find something by lvl 19 that I can't solo

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 7, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm having enough fun with this that I decided to get a one month sub to unlock the poo poo that it unlocks permanently. It has it set up to auto-renew by default. Am I correct in assuming that if I wait a couple days and cancel the subscription that it will just disable the auto renew?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is it just me or is the auction house really really dead?

Related how am o supposed to get weaponsmoth journals otherwise

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

another question:

I'm interested in doing the Great Barrow fellowship quest, but I can't find anyone who is interested in doing it. The instance cue is dead as well, which I suspect is a server population problem. Is there a preferred way to find people besides the cue, or is this just another "server's dead, wait until the merger" issue.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tamayachi posted:

Silverlode. I haven't clicked on the button so it may well be disabled until our server opens up.

Button shows up for me too now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

And those interactions are worth it for the hilarity. If nothing else rp servers are worth it for the comedy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What is the word on plugins? Are there any that are must-haves or at least major quality of life improvements?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I subbed a few weeks ago but today I found that there are some instances which I have to buy in addition. I was under the impression that you got access to all content with a sub, but reading online it seems I was mistaken.

What really concerns me is that I'm reading that the really expensive stuff - the expansions mostly - is also locked behind the paywall even if you buy VIP. On the other hand I just did the first little bit of the Moria quest line to get my first legendaries and Moria is specifically referenced as something you need to buy in addition. On the other hand I've been constantly sifting through really outdated information on just about everything.

So what's the deal. What exactly is locked away even with VIP? I'm fine with subbing, I'd even be OK with paying for the latest expansion, but if I have to shell out a ton of cash for multiple years-old expansions I think I might be done here. Which is a drag because I've been having a bunch of fun,.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OK, apparently you can just buy all 4 expansions for $40 which is a lot better than what I was thinking when I was looking at turbine points and doing the cash conversion. That's acceptable and more or less on par with just buying the most recent expansion.

Question: if I go ahead and do that, is there any compelling reason to stay VIP after buying the expansions? Since I've gotten it once I think I have all the important character unlocks and I really don't give a poo poo about the XP bonus.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

With the holidays coming up if you're just starting don't buy the expansions. They often go on sale for RIDICULOUSLY cheap and you won't be to their content until then what.

When do they usually go on sale? Christmas?

I'm already in the upper 40s and from what I'm seeing all 4 are $40 if you buy them all at once. How cheaper is cheaper?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I've been running red as a sword and board guard. You have enough armor that you really ft need the self heal until well after you get catch a breath and the odd oh gently caress situation can be handled with Putins. I suspect I'll respec blue when group tanking becomes a thing I do but my current solution works great through 48 so far.

Edit. Leaving that autocorrect typo because it's awesome.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Are they still actively making expansions for this or is the fan more or less in stasis?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

I just hit 45, do I need to buy Moria if I'm a subscriber?

Yep. Don't bother buying it with points, though, just buy the four pack with all the expansions except Helms Deep with cash. Costs $40.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

xZAOx posted:

You'll just have trouble finding non-max-level groups on Silverlode right now. I think that's a terribly unfun way to play though, hah.

God this is the worst problem with this game. I can't wait for the server transfer, as I'm hoping that alleviates it. Finding groups for the lower level instances is a real goddamned chore.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How interesting is Forochel? I just realized I've never touched it and I'm getting set to start Moria. I figure I'm probably way over leveled for it by this point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zvim posted:

Sounds a bit dull.

Most power leveling guides for MMOs are like that. The logic usually runs that any time that you are traveling or doing something that isn't stabbing a mob you are slowing down your progression. It's tedious as all gently caress and only for morons and people who are being paid to level other people's accounts. I'd much, MUCH rather take 120 hours to get to a level by looking at poo poo, doing quests, and generally being entertained than 80 or even 60 hours of mind numbing boredom.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Playing this gave me a LOTR itch so I re-read the trillogy over the past week. I'm absolutely blown away by how faithful a lot of the poo poo in the game is to the descriptions in the books. Whoever designed the environments etc. really had a major love for Tolkien's work. I think the only real "error" I've found so far (through early Moria) is that the bottom floor of the Prancing Pony isn't half-sunk into the hillside, and that's about as nitpicky as you can get.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there any reason to keep old legendaries around? I upgraded my sword and I'm thinking it's probably best just to scrap it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

sassassin posted:

To the literal amazement of the man who designed the system,

Is there some backstory here?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OK, another question. I just blew up my early legendaries which were leveled into the high 20s. I got a bunch of stuff, including some tokens to toss 67k exp onto another legendary.

What happens if I pop one of those onto something and it levels up past needing a reforge? I think it takes something like 75k total to hit 15, for example. If I dropped the 67k on a brand new item would it hit 10 and then waste the extra exp, or would it be lvl 13 or whatever after the reforging?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Since we're talking Tolkien lore, I finally found something in the game that kind of bugs me: the lighting crystals in Moria. The book was pretty explicit about how it was dark as gently caress except for a few light shafts bored in the side of the mountain and Gimli goes on about how back in the day it was light up with thousands of torches.

From a game making standpoint I kinda see why they did it, but I'd still have preferred a bunch of torches hanging around instead of those glowing crystals.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ruffz posted:

Yeah that confused me as well, and I think Turbine even made it even lighter in Moria with one of their revamps. I think it would've been pretty cool if we'd had to navigate the darkness with our own torches, but I'm not sure how they could've made that work.

Yeah, I can see how that would have made for some aggravating, lovely gameplay. Personally, what I would have done would be to chain a solo instance off the end of the existing "get into moria" instance where you are one of the first guys in and run around lighting lamps for the first room or so. Kill some monsters, maybe stab a big loving orc in the face as the boss. Then have a nice little conversation with a dwarf where he goes "hey, thanks, we can get the rest of them lit now that the entrance is good to go." Bam. Done. Ditch the stupid crystals and replace them with torches, lanterns, braziers, camp fires, lit forges, etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Drashin posted:

So I am interested in playing this game. Does anyone have any tips for me such as what class/race I should be and what server I should play on? If it helps I am kind of new to playing MMOs and I will probably be playing alone most of the time.

The major goon presence right now is Silverlode. There is an ongoing wave of server mergers happening right now, so we'll be elsewhere in a couple months time, but that doesn't matter for right now. When the move comes you can just go wherever we go.

As for classes, I play a Guardian and it's pretty simple while not being so brain dead that it gets boring. My understanding is that the Champion is pretty simple, but a lot of people complain that it is kind of boring as you do the same attacks over and over again. For what it's worth I find that Guardians are pretty easy to solo with because of how tanky they are. A lot of people say you have a slower go because you don't kill as fast as the other DPS classes, but really I haven't had a problem with that.

I would also add that it's definitely an MMO of the old school. The majority of quests are either 'kill this thing' or 'get this thing,' and if that puts you off in a big way it will be an issue. That said the world is really well developed, loving huge, and the stories are all interesting and well thought out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah my understanding is that transfers are going to be open for a while so it isn't like waiting will hurt you at all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What did you have to unlock in the craft stuff. I'm about to de sub and want to make sure I don't gently caress myself down the road.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

huh. how many points? is it the sort of thing that is just a minor annoyance, or is it a big point sink?

edit: I'm either at master of the guild level or working my way to master right now in my guild rank. I'm actually ranking my guild stuff faster than my reglar weapon smithing at this point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AskYourself posted:

The barter wallet can help with all the currencies and token in the game :

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Barter_Wallet

Also, I'm selling a lot of essence and stuff before the server transfer, for the first time since I'm playing I'll pass the 1000 gold mark ! yay

:stare:
Why didn't I know about this before?

So. . . much. . . inventory space.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, I checked last night and that seems to be the case. I was confused at first because I have existing quests in those places that I can finish, but I can't get new ones. I have about 3000 turbine points for some reason, so maybe I'll use them for quest packs (or maybe that wallet upgrade).

Honestly I'd say just buy a month of VIP. You can blow through everything up to Moria in a month easily and all that stuff is unlocked with VIP. That content is fast enough to get through that I would save the TP for meatier things later on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bombhand posted:

Maybe don't disband. If there HAPPENS to be another Nazgun on another server and they HAPPEN to choose Landroval, and they HAPPEN to do it at just the wrong time, then we might end up SOL. The kin transfer comes with a free kinship rename. Best to make sure things happen on our schedule and according to plan than to leave anything up to chance.

Just disband it. If someone hasn't logged in in over a year chances are that if they find the kinship was nuked they'll come along and ask here if they want to play with goons again. Meanwhile actually having the old guild name will help anyone who wanders back find us. Renaming it would just create pointless confusion.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

how does activating it work? do they just give you a code to activate it via turbine or something?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So has the kinship moved yet?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The short version is that a normal instance is run with a regular group size - the same group you could run around the world killing poo poo with could go in and do a regular instance.

A raid is basically a super-group. Think of it like 4 regular groups grouped together to do instances that are scaled for that kind of firepower.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So I accidentally clicked on this ancient bookmark and now I'm kinda getting the hankering to pick this game back up.

The last time I played was probably 2015-ish (based on what the old previous last read comment was) and I think I petered out right around after getting my main out of Lotharian.

What's the status these days? Are there still huge chunks of content that you can't do without a raiding group (which kneecaps older quests that people don't do any more)?

How's the health of the game? Worth giving it another go? Any major changes to how it works/plays/etc?

I will note that i'm laughing because the first unread post in 2015 when I accidentally clicked that bookmark was extra stout, and they're also the last post here, 6 years into the future.

edit: I'd probably just re-roll a new character, what's the hotness for a fun, tanky class these days? I was a warrior before, no objection to doing it again, I groove on hitting poo poo with swords more than casting magic missile at the darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what's the tl;dr on professions? I haven't been around in half a decade and forgot everything I thought I knew.

Basically I"m wondering if there's some trap like you shouldn't ever ben a weaponsmith because top level gear is only available from killing gandalf or whatever