Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ILL Machina posted:

The text content of lotro is arguably the only interesting part of the game. If you skip to 50, you're going to be dodging a good amount of grinding, just up to Moria which was one of the first, more interesting expansions. You can probably get there with the Book quests and other lore-based objectives, though. That being said, aside from the recent Yondershire expansion and the February Trollshaws expansion, the non-book-quest early game content is VERY old and genuinely boring. 50 might be a good spot to start.

Hard disagree. The side quests are garbage but the pre-Moria main quests are pretty interesting although they slow down a bit in the middle third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Witeldram posted:

Now is definitely good time to play. The game has been experiencing a renaissance of sorts recently.

As for servers, you can't go wrong with any of them. The biggest ones though are Arkenstone if you live in NA and Evernight if you live in EU.

Landroval's where most of the goons are if you give a gently caress about that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

WarpDogs posted:

Without exaggeration I'd say LotR has some of the best art direction and environmental design of any MMO I have ever played. I would do almost anything to be able to live in the Shire that is depicted in this game. It's so wonderful

The thing that amazes me is that they manage it without spec bloat.

I’ve got an absolute potato of a 2009 vintage intel duo MacBook Pro that happily runs it on the windows partition. One of the few even vaguely modern games that will run on it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's the moment to moment combat in this game like? It's traditional tab targeting right? Where's the difficulty in overland encounters and "friction" in gameplay, on a scale that runs EQ, Wow Classic, FF14?

Ever played WoW?

The combat is basically WoW with maybe a few embellishments here and there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What’s the story with LI’s these days? I last played heavily right when they made the big LI change last year. I’m staring at these stacks of blue LI exp rune things. Did they ever give us something to do with them or are they vendor trash?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh sweet. I've got a poo poo ton of those things and want my inventory space back.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Holy poo poo god yes.

Also:

quote:

<plot poo poo>
This scaling instance is available to players level 20-140, and can be played Solo, Duo, or in a Fellowship.

God I hope they somehow find a way to port this backwards. Such a promising development for people like me who are anti-social weirdos who play MMOs solo.

Other really cool things:

1) dial-able difficulty in instances (?delvings? looks like a new thing) that increases the rewards you get.
2) massive loving reworkings and buffs of the classes that were weak without any nerfs of the strong classes. Hunter and Champion virtually untouched, an entire page of patch notes on burgler.
3) session play quests made optional. Thank gently caress. I'll still do them once but goddamn, not doing that crap on repeat.
4) the quest for the basic mount skill no longer locked behind the sub

quote:

Changed Falling Injury effects to be less punishing. Changed Run Speed Debuff from 40% to 30%. Changed duration of effect from range of 6-60 seconds to 5-15 seconds.
THANK YOU

legit excited about this patch

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thought of a dumb joke that I'm going to drop here because this is the only place where people will get it.

It's very dumb.

Where does Theoden King keep his fiber supplements?

Meta-Meduseld

:dadjoke:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What’s the way to check what you e already bought again? Acct wide poo poo like expacs. Trying to remember if I already own three peaks or not.

(Bought poo poo at last sale right before I drifted away, back in and up to 85 from 65 in the last couple weeks so I’ll be there before too long)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What happens with the writ houses if you let the rent lapse? I assume your poo poo gets bundled into escrow like the normal ones but do you need to buy writs again to get it back?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Where do you buy premium housing writs?

JFC they really need to overhaul their store(s). How the gently caress can it be this complicated to figure out how to give a mmo money?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Natsuumi posted:

Under Cosmetic -> Housing -> Writs, or just do 'writ' in the search box.

Is it bugged or down or something? It's showing "no items" for me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OhFunny posted:

There's no way to hide or resize the questing box on the map screen without also hiding the quest markers right?

I ask because them bumping the size to account for increase of tracked quests has made it cover even more of the map and it feels in the way.

That thing's always felt in the way. All the various maps always have a different quadrant that's dead space where you can put it, which means constantly shuffling it here and there as you move around.

Not the worst UI crime a 00's era MMO has committed, but still annoying.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Since I do alot of walking when I read about an app that allows you to tally up your mileage against real world distances it caught my interest. For instance you can take a challenge to put in enough miles to walk the length of England.

But then I saw that they had Lord of the Rings challenges, with the first beginning in the Shire so I decided I had to give it a go. My watch and phone already track my steps from walking and running but now they'll be transposed against Frodo's path starting at Bag End.

what's the app?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The Conqueror, but don't go thinking that you can simply walk into Mordor.

Yikes, $50.

Really cool idea, would have been game for even $10 or something but not that much.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I started playing again recently after... I guess the better part of a decade, and I had no idea that this innocent-looking Bingo quest would be an epic. I figured he'd never actually leave the Shire but here I am in the Lone Lands

Also my account already had 2 loremasters of like lvl 26 and 33, but I went ahead and created a hobbit LM because I like hobbits. Now I'm getting to the mid-20s levels so it's probably about time to stop playing for another 5-10 years.

Bingo rocks and to be frank I'm way more invested in his adventures than the actual epic story quest.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shard posted:

So what's the story in this game? Does it all take place during the quest to destroy the ring or is it in another time?

Yes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

To be less jokey, the very first quests take place before the fellowship gets together, then you kind of dog their heels for a bit, and by the 3rd or 4th expansion you're after the destruction of the ring and dealing with the fallout.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’m going to be the dissenting voice and say don’t skip ahead to Moria.

The story makes a lot more sense in order and you don’t really need Uber gear for main plot quests.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can you take a canonical shortcut to the foundation of stone as well? I can't remember.

The gandalf route?

Don't think so, but you can jump down the well that Pippin and Merry got yelled at for loving around with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lars posted:

Started my regular scheduled autumn return to LOTRO -

Lol glad I'm not the only one. Something about October starting just makes me slide right back in.

Leaves turning, Starbucks selling pumpkin lattes, time to go back to middle earth and finally finish Rohan.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’m the opposite. I’ve been on the steam launcher forever and never had a crash that I can think of.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

As someone who did exactly what you did, buy 1 month and cancel your sub immediately. Buy any other expansions as you need them, frankly the game is fun as hell but it's also not something you're going to main for months solid and rush the plot. You'll likely have plenty of time to grab things on sale here and there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Cool, thank you for the suggestion! I've gone ahead and grabbed a month of sub time since I don't mind throwing a few bucks at the game.

Rolled a dwarf Guardian, since I didn't particularly like the idea of playing ranged DPS (even knowing about the Hunter travel skills). :)

My advice? Reroll a champion. Guardian is absolutely doable solo but champ is going to be significantly faster and just feel better.

I say this as someone who played a guardian to about half way through Moria and then rerolled a guardian after coming back and who is way past that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tabletops posted:

when did you do it? my guardian tore poo poo up when i played it relatively recently.

Quite a while ago and it sounds like they reworked it recently. Wasn’t aware of that.