Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

bombhand posted:

Because of the server migrations, the new leader of the kin can be chosen from anyone who plans to migrate to the same server as the kin. Landroval is currently preferrred with Gladden secondary. That said, based on what I've been hearing in-game, a lot of S'lode kins are looking at Arkenstone as either the preferred or the secondary server, so I'm leaning toward that as well. I'm of the opinion that specific server choice isn't as important as making sure people get to stay with non-kin friends as much as possible, since all servers will have increased populations after the move. Anyone with comments feel free to chime in.

This is the first talk I've heard about Arkenstone, and I'd have to vote against that, for what it's worth. It's currently the least populated of the five destination servers, and I don't see that changing post-merge. I have a gut feeling that anyone on Silverlode voting to go to Arkenstone just enjoys being on a quieter server. It's my opinion that if we're going to have anything resembling an active Nazgun again, we should shoot for one of the top 2 servers, and perhaps some of the people that have been on other servers for years could finally join us. Not to mention there's some goons already on Landroval.

That said, Landroval is my preference, and seemed to also be the preferred destination for most of the active players in the old thread. Landroval is currently pretty busy even before transfers begin, so I'm liking the chances for it to be the most populated server post-merge. Turbine said it would be "months" before transfers to Brandywine are an option, otherwise my first choice would be to go there. Gladden is supposedly more busy than Landroval at the moment, but Landroval has the history of having a strong community and hasn't just recently become populated due to being the recommended server. I'd almost side with waiting for Brandywine to open if we're not able to go to Landroval once our turn comes up, but I know many of us are itching to be able to play on a populated server and won't want to wait a few more months.

I have a biased opinion because I haven't done group activities in LOTRO for years, but I don't see Silverlode as having a strong enough community to justify following some pubbies to Arkenstone. Nearly everyone I used to group with back from launch to the Rohan days doesn't play anymore, so I personally have zero attachment to Silverlode's community.

I have 9 characters on Silverlode, but only a couple that I currently play:
Ithoran - main character level 100 guard
Velga - level 85 burg and has officer title. I don't log in every day right now, but when I do it's in the morning or early afternoon Pacific time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

-Someone to invite people, or to give other people rights to invite people
I haven't had any major incidents with officers for a long time (since the Aeon split).

In pretty much every MMO I've played, the serious business goons always cause the drama. I took about a year off from the game after the last time I tried to raid with those people. Thankfully they left for terrible MMOs and never came back. There hasn't been any Nazgun drama since then that I'm aware of.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

To give the backstory to those who weren't around back then. When Moria/Mirkwood was still all the rage and Enedwaith was a glimmer in the eye we actually had a lot of goons playing. Most nights we had probably +20 lvl 60s on, running all sorts of content especially in the mirkwood tower. There were goons who didn't think we were bleeding edge hardcore enough to master some of the content because we weren't raiding every night for three hours a night and basically wanted a two tier setup of those casual players and the raiders...those causals wouldn't be let into raids, get access to gear, etc. Basically I was against this because the Nazgun has always been about goons being on LOTRO, loving around, and generally having a good time while being fantasy internet nerds. Going hardcore raiding would have killed that and forced a lot of people out. Well, the voices grew loud an unending and despite saying no that it wasn't the goon way, they pushed for a leadership change which I reluctantly gave into (oddly enough it was the only other time I didn't have a reliable internet connection to be online) and they elected one of the officers to take over. Needless to say this didn't last very long and within about three months most of them split off to another game and I found myself right back in the seat. During that time, there were a few people who used their officer powers to kick people and generally cause problems so that had to be dealt with as well and so far in the history of the kin I think I've only had to ban maybe 3-4 people ever and mostly that was because of either inexcusable behavior or in the case of a certain individual being a conniving unscrupulous backstabbing snake that I'd never trust again ever and would not let him put the kin back into the situation we were at when the whole leadership thing began. Since then, it's been quiet. Do I wish we had more going on? Of course I do. The sheer amount of time I've put into this game and for this kin has been substantial. I care about the well being of the kin, just like I would my friends or my students.

That's a very accurate summary of what went on at the end of the Moria days from my perspective as well. I was basically the #2 guardian in the DN raid group, and got shut out in favor of a pubbie that could pres butan a little more efficiently. That just went against everything that I thought goon guilds/kinships should be. It was like "gently caress this goon that may or may not be impacting our progression speed, we want our loot faster, so here's a spot JoePubbie." By the time I came back to the game, nearly every one of the people in those raid groups had quit LOTRO entirely, and it was a totally new set of players. Nazgun returned to its roots as a casual, fun kinship where we help each other. Really crossing my fingers that there can be at least a slight resurrection of the kinship on a new server in the coming weeks.

edit: kinda funny how those same hardcore raider types are the ones that went on to kill several more goon guilds in the coming years that would follow. Those are the people that run the content into the ground, get bored, then gently caress off and never return. Habitual MMO hoppers.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 21, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

Also I believe a few more ways to travel through Trollshaws was part of it's revamp update, so I'll once again say I love that area.

That was part of a planned update, not 100% sure that it made it into the game since I haven't run a character through there in years. All that Trollshaws needed was a few more horse routes and some more quests and it would be a great zone. It's definitely one of the prettiest environments in the game, second only to the Shire in my opinion.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Gondor's atmosphere is a vast improvement over Rohan's, I think. Just being able to see the sea is pretty great. We were pretty used to feeling permanently landlocked in this game until Gondor came along.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

ukrainius maximus posted:

So since I haven't been playing, where are they at with transfers at the moment? Have they started allowing them for select servers?

The only transfers that are allowed right now are ones between the 5 destination servers. They just posted an update on the LOTRO forum yesterday. Servers with lower populations are getting to move first, they estimate mid-September for it all to begin. Transfers for servers like Silverlode are currently estimated for "October to November". So it could be 2-3 months before we get to move still. :negative:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm not done with East Gondor on my main either, but we've been waiting for months ever since they announced that full-account transfers would be a thing, and it's gone from "summer" to possibly November.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Bert_Bartleby

New Bingo Boffin rewards are in game, don't click if knowing what you get for helping a fat shut in hobbit go on his adventure is considered a spoiler! I believe the pet is just a recolor of a central Gondor pet, so today is a good day for children and sheep lovers and a bad day for cosmetic pet hustlers of the auction house.

I'm wondering if I should be saving my tokens for something awesome down the road, or just buying things as I get enough tokens. I figure since you can run the quests again on alts, you won't have enough tokens to buy everything in the end by just running one character through them.

edit: I don't know if you're rewarded with a Blemished Symbol of the Elder King from the book quests at some point, but they're going for 140-150 gold on Silverlode. I checked Landroval and they're at 75. If they're not automatically rewarded, that's enough of a reason to wait until we change servers.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 28, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The Nazgun has 19 characters at level 100, some of those might be the same people. The level cap has been 100 for over a year now. That's just a taste of how inactive people have been.

I could be wrong, but I think Turbine said they have no plans to scale the Moria instances. That's a shame because it could get some people that haven't played in several years to return. Those are the best instances in the game by a pretty big margin. I'd guess that Landroval has people with level 60 characters that run around with XP disablers and run Moria stuff.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

Also ruffz are you sure symbols are actually selling at 150, or just listed at 150? I went through 6 to get the axe I wanted, and even recently I've seen people still sell at 70-90g in world chat. If you can actually get 150 then sure people should sell them now and buy cheap later, but I've had people in world chat just give me those and refuse to let me pay because if you run end game content you loot them faster than new players are hitting level 100, there's always a slight surplus that increases the longer an expansion has been out. If you do get one from the epic line I haven't gotten it yet, I forget where I'm at but I think like book 3 chapter 6?

They were listed at 150, and I don't usually gently caress around with the bid system that makes you wait a day or longer to get your poo poo. If they're easy to come by then I'll just start running instances once I'm done with all the solo content. In the past, the conclusion of part of the book quest line would reward you with a 2nd age symbol, I forgot and thought it gave 1st age symbols. I looked up the rewards for the Eastern Gondor book quests, and it doesn't appear that it gives you any symbols at all for completing it.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Man, if I had only known back in 2007 that I'd still be playing this game more than 8 years later I would have bought the lifetime founder thing. I was making like $9 an hour back then so I couldn't really afford it :negative:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

In addition to frequently missing their target dates, Turbine has a history of breaking promises and then not saying a word when they're called out about it by players on the LOTRO forums. Luckily for them the game itself is pretty good, and it's Lord of the Rings.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Brave New World posted:

I hate to sound negative like this, but they made everything faceroll easy as of the Helm's Deep expansion. Play whatever class is most fun for you because nothing will be too challenging unless you actively seek out orange or red mobs & quests. And even then it's not too difficult.

They did crank the difficulty back up a little bit with Gondor, thanks to player complaints. During the Rohan levels I could easily take on 6 mobs with my Guardian. Now 4 is usually my limit.

Captain is one of the slowest leveling classes in the game, but also takes a beating in heavy armor and they're a great utility class for groups. Warden is probably the most complicated class, but also very durable. Between those three classes I think I'd pick the Loremaster.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

Also if any level 100s need a first age symbol, I looted one tonight and it's yours if you use it before my alts get hungry!

I'm starting to get active on my guardian Ithoran again, if you still have that symbol I'd love you forever if I could use it. :bigtran: Just have to get my burglar's weaponsmithing guild rep up before I could craft it.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

You signed off as I signed in, guess I have to throw this thing in the pools of the dead marshes and see if it skips like a flat stone. RIP

WELP

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So, how long does Pelargir and the other endgame content take to run? I have my 4 year old and 1 year old with me during the day, so I can't really be glued to my monitor for long stretches. I did LFR raiding in WoW recently, but you can be semi-AFK in that.

Also, if I were to start doing group content again, is it like it was back in the Moria days where there was no room for Guardians that aren't tank spec? I've been in DPS spec since level 60 and it would require a new set of gear to tank.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Zipline posted:

What are the remaining servers going to be, both EU and US?

Also, I heard something about everyone getting two free character slots in addition to whatever they currently have upon transferring to the new worlds. Is that true?

6 servers for each continent. I'm pretty sure they already gave out the free character slots. I had 7 of my 9 characters available to play ever since I dropped my subscription, now all 9 are available.

edit: my fault, 5 servers for each continent

ruffz fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 4, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Does anyone here on Silverlode have maxed out weaponsmithing? My weaponsmith is like 2 weeks from being maxed out, and I need a level 100 first age crafted. I'm thinking I want a greatsword since I probably won't end up going tank spec.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Is it a free-for-all when the xfer button turns on, or if we xfer before the kinship is started does something mess up?

They said that if the kin leader goes first, members that transfer will automatically be added back to the kinship on the new server. If some people go before the kin leader, I think they just have to be manually added.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was eyeballing either the captain or guardian. I've been dicking around with the captain right now, but any compelling reason why the guardian might be more interestin / more fun?

They're both pretty slow levelers. My only level 100 is a guardian, mostly because he was my first character from over 8 years ago so I got him to the level cap first. I'll likely be bringing my burglar to 100 next, because it's my favorite class along with the minstrel.

AskYourself posted:

I'm not sure we've decided on a server yet. I think we want to go on Brandywine if it's still open for transfer and Landroval being the second choice.

Brandywine is undergoing a hardware upgrade and won't be available for incoming transfers for several months, from what they've said. Landroval is currently the #1 choice unless Brandywine becomes available sooner than expected. There's the possible issue that Landroval will be at capacity by the time Silverlode is able to transfer, because several other smaller servers get to move before we do. In that event I think we'd be headed for Gladden.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

My champ does have Westemnet weaponsmithing mastered with Westemnet rep in the weaponsmith guild so I can make lvl 100 LIs if needed.

What's your champ's name? I'll just send you the symbol and other mats when I get on next, if that's cool.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Champ is Whorunbartertown.

Cool, sent you the mats.

There's 4 other level 100 goons on right now, I expected to be the only one online like I have been in past weekends. Great to see activity ticking upwards as we get closer to server transfers.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

In the past (mainly Rohan) I could get a good deal of gear upgrades immediately upon hitting level 100 just from having done the solo quests and getting tokens. Gearing up at 100 seems like it's :effort: x10 for anyone like me that has a full time job and kids. Perhaps I need to wait until my kids are older before trying to get anything beyond starter gear at the level cap.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it just me or is the auction house really really dead?

Silverlode's AH has been dead for quite some time. Once we can get over to a new server, that issue won't exist anymore. Landroval's AH is busy before transfers even begin.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

another question:

I'm interested in doing the Great Barrow fellowship quest, but I can't find anyone who is interested in doing it. The instance cue is dead as well, which I suspect is a server population problem. Is there a preferred way to find people besides the cue, or is this just another "server's dead, wait until the merger" issue.

Ask in the World chat channel. I see groups forming pretty frequently in there, however it's mostly for level 100 stuff. That's probably your best bet until we get to move.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

CreedThoughts posted:

Not gimped, they are basically a jack of all trades so expect them to not be the best at dps, tanking, or healing, though they are decent/good at all 3.

Sounds exactly like a Captain. I had thought about buying the Beorning class but if it'd be that similar to a class I've already played to level 85, I'll pass lol

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Haerc posted:

How does the Warden do? Seems pretty fun to level, but I never group, so I have no idea how it does in high end content.

Also, have we decided on what server we are migrating to (if our server is going away)?

Not sure if the Warden changed much between 85 and 100, but they were basically right below Guardians in tanking ability. They're probably the most complicated class in the game if you're trying to play one right and not just mash buttons.

Silverlode is one of the servers getting axed, and I think the consensus seemed to be that we'd go to Landroval if it's available when our turn comes. Gladden is probably the backup.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

The Server Transfer button is lit up on my launcher, we're going to Landroval, right?

Are you on Elendilmir? That's the only one of the closing servers that's allowed to transfer right now. Pretty sure we'll be going to Landroval sometime in October or November unless people want to wait for Brandywine to open up.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

Silverlode. I haven't clicked on the button so it may well be disabled until our server opens up.

Yeah if you click on the button it just comes up with a blank screen on the server list since Silverlode hasn't been allowed to move yet.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I worry about all the role playing nerds on landroval, and Brandywine is likely going to be more populated, but I haven't followed the news enough to know if it's opening up for transfers soon. I thought I saw an faq where a dev said it would open but :iiam:

I just hope we're somewhere bursting with people.

Landroval has its RP nerds, but has had a very active community since day one. I'm thinking that Brandywine might not be the most populated server anymore by the time it opens for incoming transfers again, because a high percentage of people from closing servers are going to flock to Landroval. Turbine said on the LOTRO forums that they expect Brandywine to open back up by the end of the year. Their timeline suggested Silverlode should be able to transfer by late October or early November, but they have a pattern of missing their target dates.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Been going through Osgiliath slowly the past couple days. This place reminds me of Moria 1.0 with the high mob density, plus there's a fair amount of roaming Signatures and even Elites. Always nice to have a little challenge in the solo game. The whole Eastern Gondor update has been pretty well done in my opinion. It definitely feels like war is in the air and poo poo is about to go down. It's pretty cool being able to look out from a vantage point and see the Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith in the distance.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Minas Tirith in the distance

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

LOTRO is one of just a couple MMOs where I've used barely any plugins. I did previously use a plugin to have one huge inventory bag, but Turbine made that obsolete. I find the default UI to be just fine, despite its age.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They're sure moving slowly with enabling more servers for transfers. It's been almost 2 weeks since Elendilmir was allowed to move. Makes me wonder if it'll be after the first of the year for Silverlode unless they plan on making it faster between the next waves.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

"Here's a cool new housing feature, but we're going to make it VIP-only" :negative:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I did Hytbold on-level mainly because I wanted the housing items, but getting a teal gear set too made it kinda sorta worth it. Doing it these days would be for people that hate themselves. I believe it was 47 straight days I did dailies, and I took an extended break from the game after I finished. It took an average of 15-20 minutes per day, but it became hard to log in towards the end of the grind.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

How interesting is Forochel? I just realized I've never touched it and I'm getting set to start Moria. I figure I'm probably way over leveled for it by this point.

Forochel is something you'd either love or hate, and I'm not sure you'd know which reaction you'd have to it until you played through the zone. I'm still not entirely sure why Forochel is even in the game, given how far away it is from important locations in the books. I personally enjoyed the atmosphere and the storyline, but I know many people loathe the white-on-white snowy landscape.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The next US server that's getting to transfer is on Tuesday, and this week it was also Tuesday. If they manage to keep up with turning on transfers for a new server each week, Silverlode could be ready to go on November 10th.

edit: I just inspected this other Guardian with 5 pieces of gold jewelry and a mixed teal armor set. He has 38k morale vs. my 24k. That's a pretty drat big gap between quest gear and group instance gear.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 3, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Some pictures of the new zone maps. I'm curious if Anorien will connect to Eastern Rohan at some point. I had speculated before they announced the Paths of the Dead that we might be traveling through Anorien to get to Minas Tirith, but they ended up taking us through the Paths instead.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Zvim posted:

Elendilmir was the unofficial oceanic server and Landy now has a decent population of players during Australian prime time, it was likely accidental but Brandy being blocked from transfers and Elendilmir being the first to transfer has made Landy pretty awesome atm.

That would be pretty awesome for people in North America that like to play overnight or really early in the morning. Having people playing around the clock is great for a server.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Most power leveling guides for MMOs are like that. The logic usually runs that any time that you are traveling or doing something that isn't stabbing a mob you are slowing down your progression. It's tedious as all gently caress and only for morons and people who are being paid to level other people's accounts. I'd much, MUCH rather take 120 hours to get to a level by looking at poo poo, doing quests, and generally being entertained than 80 or even 60 hours of mind numbing boredom.

Ugh yes. Don't use a powerleveling guide unless you want to burn out. Back in the vanilla version of the game, there used to be gaps in leveling where you'd almost HAVE to grind if you couldn't find a group to do fellowship quests. Grinding was horrible. In LOTRO, the fun is in the journey to the level cap. Take your time, stop and smoke some pipeweed at the scenic locations. Trust me, it's a lot more fun that way. This game is still beautiful after 8 years. If you're not a LOTR or Tolkien fan and don't care about the story or environments, I don't really know why you'd play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh I'm not. I just wanted to find a nice quest hub where I could pop a booster to maximize usefulness but I really don't care that much.

Thornhope in Entwash Vale was a place I popped tokens on a couple of my characters and got like a level and a half in about 20 minutes. I think the quests are around 81-82.