Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I have a policy of reading quest text my first time through the content, and sometimes I'll reread it on another character if I haven't played through a zone in a long time. They do a pretty good job at telling the story, even in areas where it's somewhat made up because the trilogy books didn't go in depth. I know some people do it the opposite way and zoom through quests on their main character, then read the text on an alt. If there's any MMO out there where you should read at some point, it's this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Their license requires them to follow the lore very closely, which is why it surprised me that they sent us through the Paths of the Dead to get to Gondor. We go through after Aragorn & Co. do, and supposedly it's "cleared out" so ordinary people can pass without certain death.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

sassassin posted:

How big is the full updated install folder now?

Mine is 20.2 GB

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

landofcake posted:

I haven't logged in in a while as I've had other things to do, but I've been keeping an eye on the thread for server transfer news, though I've got a little bit lost recently ... I'm guessing that Landroval is still the preferred server? Is there a date for when we'll be allowed to transfer there yet?

Edit: Interesting, I just opened the server transfer box and Silverlode isn't appearing there for me anymore. :smith:

I don't think our preferred server has changed, but it sounds like a big majority of people from closing servers have gone to Landroval so far. They've had login queues and had to increase the server's capacity already. There's still 5 more servers that get to transfer before Silverlode does, and each server has a higher population than the last (they started with the smallest servers). I don't know how likely it is that they might close Landroval before we get a chance to go there. It looks as though they're letting one new US server transfer every Tuesday, which would put Silverlode in line for November 10th if they don't change anything.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Since we're talking Tolkien lore, I finally found something in the game that kind of bugs me: the lighting crystals in Moria. The book was pretty explicit about how it was dark as gently caress except for a few light shafts bored in the side of the mountain and Gimli goes on about how back in the day it was light up with thousands of torches.

From a game making standpoint I kinda see why they did it, but I'd still have preferred a bunch of torches hanging around instead of those glowing crystals.

Yeah that confused me as well, and I think Turbine even made it even lighter in Moria with one of their revamps. I think it would've been pretty cool if we'd had to navigate the darkness with our own torches, but I'm not sure how they could've made that work.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

We also could have maybe had a dwarven companion that carries a torch in front of us so we can fight with both hands. I like your idea though, it would've been pretty badass if they had done that. The crystals don't make much sense to me, and I'm wondering how that was considered passable with the licensing being as strict as it is.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Drashin posted:

So I am interested in playing this game. Does anyone have any tips for me such as what class/race I should be and what server I should play on? If it helps I am kind of new to playing MMOs and I will probably be playing alone most of the time.

All of the classes are fun in their own way. I haven't played a Beorning yet, but I've played every other class. My favorites are Burglar, Guardian and Minstrel. You really can't go wrong with any of those three, they're not the "mash the same 3 buttons" kinds of classes.

I think a lot of people would suggest Hobbit or Dwarf for the best race. Hobbits have the best starting zone (The Shire).

Most of us are on Silverlode, waiting for our server to be allowed to transfer to one of the 5 remaining servers. That's most likely going to be happening next month, and Landroval is the preferred destination for many. I typically play alone as well because I have my 2 boys with me during the day and usually can't commit to group content. It'll be nice when we're on a high population server and can see plenty of other players out in the world.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

My 4 year old has known how to use my computer since he was 2. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's able to play LOTRO by the time he's 6 or 7.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They've already had to beef up Landroval to increase the server's capacity, and that was after just the two lowest population servers were allowed to transfer. If I were you guys, I'd wait to see if those of us on Silverlode are even able to move to Landroval before going there. They might close it down before we have the option.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They originally were going to end free transfers on October 1st but the timeline got pushed back quite a bit. They put out another update saying transfers off of closing worlds would remain free indefinitely so there's no need to rush to a decision.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Arkenstone is the least populated of the 5 remaining servers so I'd prefer to not go there if Landroval closes. Gladden should be the backup IMO. Yes I know that all the remaining servers will have boosted populations, but I'd rather not go to the one that's likely to be the lowest pop going forward, it'll probably be the first to become a ghost town.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I just came across some recent activity numbers that reflect the beginning of server transfers. Brandywine is #1 with over 100,000 weekly logins, no other server is even close. Gladden, Landroval, and Arkenstone are almost identical with around 60,000 logins each. Crickhollow is a ways behind those three. It looks like Arkenstone has seen the largest population jump so far which surprised me. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out when all servers can transfer, but it appears Crickhollow will be the lowest population server. I don't think that really changes anything, Landroval is still my preference because of its community. Gladden has had a pretty solid population for a while now.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

This is what was agreed upon like 5 pages ago...

It wouldn't keep coming up if the question didn't get asked on nearly every page by people that don't want to read the thread :derp:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Are there any decent new cosmetic items with the Fall Festival? That's the only reason I ever do festivals anymore, they're basically the same every year now.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

If we're not going to Mordor immediately after Update 17 I guess that means we'll be going to Harondor (Southern Gondor) instead? I'm not sure what else they'd be planning on.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Brave New World posted:

Rhun, or better yet, Umbar.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll someday add northern Mirkwood. I assume that they have plans to eventually get to every named area on the map like Rhun, Dagorlad and Wilderland. They've taken some names off of the map that used to be there, probably because they scrapped plans to go there. Turbine doesn't give out much information beyond their plans for the next half a year usually.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Update 17 is now live. What is this crazy bizarro world we're living in where Turbine releases something ahead of schedule?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

So they said Fall, then pushed it to Decemberish, then a week ago said it'd be a few weeks and they must've just been loving with us because I'm downloading it now and reading the patch notes.

Usually when Turbine gives a window like "Fall" it means the last week or two. They more recently made it sound like it'd be coming out in November, but then today boom there it is.

extra stout posted:

New region is Old Anorien containing Minas Tirith, Anorien means "Sun-land" if I remember, and I think it's considered to be Northern Gondor in the books, haven't checked in game yet.

In Talath Anor (the northern-most area in the update) there's two new paths to unreleased areas. To the northwest is labeled "Northern Gondor" and to the northeast is "North Ithilien". I'd imagine they're going to connect East Rohan with Northern Gondor with one of the next updates.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Man, they've got to be joking with those faction armor pieces in Minas Tirith. 3 essence slots and they look like crap.

One of the first things I did when I got to Minas Tirith was look at the new armor pieces. Agreed that they look like crap. I guess it's a good thing that I don't really care if I ever obtain any of it since I don't have time for most group content.

Dick Trauma posted:

Since I started a dwarf I thought it was appropriate to run quests for the Ale Association. It was fun dashing through the Shire at night on my freebie 24 hour rental horse, only stopping to hop off, bash a keg in and hop back on. I'd ride off while the NPCs were bitching about their beer spilling everywhere. I hope the title I can earn is "Right Bastard."

Some of the best fun in the game can be had just messing around with side quests like these. A plus with the Ale Association is you get a pretty awesome looking mount at Kindred rep. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Prized_Ale_Association_Goat

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They're sure making people on the last few closing servers wait a while to transfer. The last update was 2 1/2 weeks ago when they said the migration to the new server hardware should be done in less than a month, then they'd have every server enabled for transfers before the end of the year. Kinda sounds like we should be able to go to Landroval because the new hardware will be able to handle a lot higher populations.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I have characters on Silverlode and Landroval. If I transfer my Silverlode characters to Landroval, they will merge together (I have enough char slots) and any excess shared items will go into overflow, right?

I'd imagine it would be that easy, yes. It seems that they've actually done a pretty great job with the server transfers so far. This game really needed a smooth transition in order to have a chance at recovery after the downward slide of the last few years. It really is one of the best MMOs on the market and it'll be lots of fun when we're suddenly on a server with 5-10x the population of Silverlode.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

So, with the news that Brandywine is opening back up sooner than expected, does that change anything for the Nazgun? I personally still want to go to Landroval.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They just enabled transfers for Imladris today, now there's only one more server left before Silverlode. Hopefully in the next two weeks we'll be able to make the move finally.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So if I subbed before f2p and bought the original SoA do I still have to buy quest packs for places like the North Downs?

I'm pretty sure you do, and it's stupid. I've played since 2007 and remember having to buy some vanilla zones when I dropped my subscription after F2P. They're basically double dipping for the vanilla content.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

While I've been a lot out of the loop on this game since I've only been logging in when I need to pay the rent on my house in dwarf country, what do I need to know about this server transfer thing? Last time I was in a game that did a server merge, it was DDO where they made the decision for everyone where they were going.

If you're on Silverlode, our transfer opportunity should be coming in the next couple weeks (possibly December 1st). You get to pick any of the 5 destination servers that you want to go to. The Nazgun is hoping to go to Landroval.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I've been playing Star Wars Battlefront with the small amount of time I have right now for games. Kinda waiting on the move to Landroval before continuing through the latest content. What I've played so far has been well done, I think this is the best content update in quite some time.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Seriously don't think of it as grinding. Put it to yourself to do some quest areas fully and just go about doing some quests every now and then. The game's fairly well-written and the story is enough of a pull to want to keep going. Mirkwood is pretty engaging but you can just as well go through Great River, which is also interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of Rohan but if you've never done it it's fun enough to go through at least once. Gondor's great though and there's no trouble leveling up through there.

LOTRO has the best story of any MMO on the market. Most of the fun in the game is leveling, and the game world is so beautiful that you can just get lost in it and not feel like you're grinding. A good thing about the game being 8 1/2 years old now is that there's multiple ways you can go through the 1-85 content. If you want to eventually get another character to 100, you can have at least half of your questing experience be totally different by taking another route. XP boosters can be used to avoid certain patches of content that are kind of dull (Dunland was for me). Once you go through East Rohan, the West will seem pretty much the same. At that point you might be able to just follow the epic quest with XP boosters and get to the point where you can start Gondor a couple levels early (good for a challenge). There's so much Gondor content that you'd hit 100 long before you run out of quests, even if you start 2-3 levels early.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 24, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Brave New World posted:

You're right about virtually all of this, but The Secret World blows LotRO away in the storytelling department. I hear good things about SWTOR too(I haven't played it yet, so I don't know for sure).

Never played The Secret World, though I have heard good things about its story. SWTOR had an above-average storyline when I played it, but I quit a couple months after launch. It's all a matter of opinion, Tolkien's books are my absolute favorites so I'm biased. I think Turbine does a great job of translating the books to an MMO.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

alucinor posted:

Silverload is open to transfers tomorrow, y'all.

So is our kin leader going to be ready to transfer the Nazgun in the morning? Sounds like we're free to go to Landroval since I haven't heard anything about it filling up.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I guess I'll be waiting on the "all clear" that the kin is moved before going anywhere myself.

extra stout posted:

Also I just caught this, you wouldn't happen to be Ithorin, same name with one letter off, who I have marked as "gear crafter" on my friends list and hasn't been online since it was level 65, would you? I think the char was a captain.

My main character is Ithoran, a 100 guardian. I also have an 85 captain Ithorano that's a farmer/cook. My only character that I've done any real gear crafting with is Velga my Burglar, where I'm one tier behind the current maximum on weaponsmithing.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Litany Unheard posted:

There's a concern that someone could jump on the name if it's left open, so they want to time the change so as to minimize the window.

I don't know why anyone would do that, though. Some ex-EVE weirdo trying to stick it to goons, maybe?

Weirder things have happened. Some pubbies hold grudges for a lot longer than what is healthy.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I wasn't aware you could see your join date anywhere. I don't really care about that, but I play at weird hours and I'd rather just get automatically re-added to the kin instead of hoping someone's online at the right time.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I just transferred all my poo poo and got the confirmation email in less than a minute. Kinda sucks I was asleep when the kin house was being selected so I won't be in the kinship neighborhood anymore, oh well.

extra stout posted:

Things I can actually confirm are in: Really good looking set of Ithilian cosmetics for the Yule fest will be coming, it's the crescent moon around a tree of Faramir's folk. Saw a back shield, a pony, a war-steed skin, and some kind of winter fur shawl thing.

That's great because I still have hundreds of yule festival tokens from like 3 years ago and haven't had anything worthwhile to spend them on.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

xZAOx posted:

There were still several houses last night when I ran around, just none of them deluxes.

The standard houses are way too small unless you're a relatively new player. My deluxe house on Silverlode still had a couple chests full of housing items that I didn't have room to display. I wish they'd someday make new neighborhoods that have only deluxe houses.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

All set up with my new house on Landroval. It already feels like these merges are breathing new life into the game. Makes for quite the conflict when I try to figure out what to play with my limited gaming time. I have Star Wars Battlefront sitting in front of me, now I got Until Dawn, Witcher 3, and Bloodborne for my PS4 at $20 each. Still haven't got started in Albion Online either. The end of the year has way too much stuff.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

moebius2778 posted:

Check the 17.1 patch notes on the Bullroarer forum. Store item, though.

That's something I'd actually spend real money on. I think they've been reluctant to add it over the years because they'd rather have people congregating in towns to craft instead of being relatively alone at their house. Oh and also, gently caress yeah for making character-bound housing items account-bound. Finally one of the worst annoyances of housing will be fixed. Just this morning I had to log into 3 different characters to place stuff in my new house.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I tried to offload some stuff on Silverlode because the prices were like 40% higher than Landroval. Too bad none of it sold :argh:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

xZAOx posted:

I wish I hadn't just gotten back into WoW :(. I'll probably be wrapped up there in about 2 months, then back here.

Oh, is there a current Producer's Letter or anything? Last one I could find took us through the latest update, curious what they got planned next.

I picked up WoW after 7 years when Warlords of Draenor came out, and 2 months was about the time it took for me to get tired of it again. Came right back to LOTRO just like I have after I quit every other MMO in the past 8 1/2 years. My current problem is I came across some PS4 games at $20 each on Black Friday so now I have 5 other games to juggle.

I don't think there's been a producer's letter since the Spring. They're overdue to put one out. It's always interesting to me to read about what new areas they plan on releasing in the next year. They did say at some point that they don't plan on going to Mordor right after Minas Tirith, so it'll be good to know what's coming soon.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

the panacea posted:

I just remembered that I still got 2 life time accounts for this. Anyone got an idea what they might be worth now?
They got about 20k lotro bucks each on them and xpacs except the last two (I think one of them even has the super premium preorder of all of those old xpacs, extra horsies etc.).

I'd be all over that if Turbine let you move characters between accounts, though they don't allow this for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Even though I'm not a fan of Big Battles (now called Epic Battles I think), the main story questline in this update is fantastic. In my opinion this is the best content they've put out in years.