Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I logged into 4 of my characters and got a total of 210 TP for completed slayer deeds, pretty nice. Then I notice Far Anorien is 1995 TP :argh:

I guess they're forcing people to pay for the future raid with Far Anorien, whether or not people plan on actually raiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Definitely keep going, Gondor is pretty drat well done and is the best content they've put out since Moria. RoR was just bad. HD was a bit of an improvement but still not great.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They did revamps of almost every SoA zone within the past few years in order to streamline everything and fill in the quest gaps in the 40s. It'll probably seem very similar to how it was in 2010, though much less frustrating than it used to be in parts.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I haven't been active in-game for a while due to my gaming time being used up by The Division and Overwatch, but I've been watching various LOTRO sites and Reddit to keep up with what's going on. Sounds like they're opening up server transfers again in June? People are talking about bailing from Gladden because its population is lagging quite a bit behind the other 4 servers. Landroval is 4th out of 5 in population now. I wonder if they're going to do more merges down the road if Gladden is already turning into a ghost town.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Panorama posted:

Can you get a pukel man for your house? i haven't played for a bit but I'd do a good days work for a nice pukel man statue.

Not that I've seen, though that would be really cool if they added that as a statue. The lore behind the pukel men is rather interesting.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I think it's amusing how Turbine intended to have Festival Tokens be a single currency for all festivals, but that never happened and I just noticed they stealthily renamed them Yule Festival Tokens. I have basically next to no Spring Leaves but literally thousands of Yule Festival tokens. It would be nice to have the option to trade them in, even if it's at a 2/1 or 3/1 rate.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

moebius2778 posted:

Token Exchange barter. At the Party Tree - you can barter it for a Box of Festival Tokens. Exchange rate is variable.

Oh dang, didn't know that existed. Almost a 5/1 exchange rate for Yule to Spring, kinda silly. Then again I have probably 2,000 Yule tokens spread amongst 4 characters. I have barely any Spring or Summer tokens because I'm too busy trying to enjoy nice weather here during those times.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

MotU posted:

i just started playing again since like....2011? is there any way to consolidate all the cosmetic or house things between characters easily or does it all automatically get added to some collection or something or is it all split individually and I have to keep track of everything separately?

I'm pretty sure they recently fixed this to be a significantly smaller pain in the rear end. Some cosmetic and house items used to be bound to character, now I think they're all bound to account. There's a shared wardrobe and shared storage, which is the easiest way to consolidate everything into one spot. To get a good amount of wardrobe and storage slots requires store purchases though. They have sales every now and then on that stuff.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cnidario posted:

Finished the slog through West Rohan. Western Gondor is much, much better.

Can I get some Recommendations for how best to use my TP in Gondor? Should I wait and save up more for Far Anorien, or should I splurge earlier in Central or Eastern Gondor?

Congrats on making it to Gondor. It really is much more enjoyable once you come out the other side of the Paths of the Dead. What you should save for depends on the kind of player you are. If you're mostly a solo player, I think you'd do best by getting Central and Eastern Gondor. Far Anorien is 1995 TP because of the raid. If you're not planning on running it, it's kinda silly to purchase that in my opinion.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Race is actually not inconsequential, be a hobbit.

This. Hobbits are the master race and have the best starting zone by far.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I forget but does this game have any "modify an .ini file to get ultra detail and view distance" sort of thing (that won't get you banned) or no? When I build my new rig in a few days I might hop on this to check the new content and I'd love to be able to do something like make my PC render all the things at eagle eye distance or something.

The view distance is already really far when the slider is pushed all the way to the right. There used to be a lot of the "fog of war" poo poo years ago because people's computers probably couldn't handle the game without it. It seems like they've increased the maximum draw distance several times over the last 5 years. You can go to the top of a hill and see for what looks like 10+ miles.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I just saw that in update 18.2 they're adding a Stable-Masters tab to the Collection panel, so you can see which (if any) you haven't unlocked. However it appears that you can't use this to travel anywhere unless you want to use Mithril Coins.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there somewhere special I need to go for the ultra res client? I thought Lotro only had one installer/client these days.

I think the default download option is the high res client now. I reinstalled over the weekend after upgrading my computer, and the client I downloaded is definitely high res. In the past, the default client was the standard res one.

Brave New World posted:

Turbine is running this game with a skeleton crew on a shoestring budget. The only thing they're working on is getting the ring into Mordor ASAP, and the game will likely go into full official maintenance mode shortly after that. Don't hold your breath for anything that's not super relevant to wrapping up the story itself.

I don't know about that. They've said in recent developer updates that they have post-Mordor plans, and that the story won't end with the destruction of the Ring.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 21, 2016

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

On Bullroarer, the map for the new Stable-Masters tab doesn't go any farther south than Gondor, but goes north of Mordor through Rhun and the rest of Mirkwood. I'm always one to speculate about Turbine's plans, so I'm curious if this means they don't plan on taking us south to Harad at some point. I think they have actually said that the rest of Mirkwood may be in the game someday.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I had no idea what kind of difference it would make to upgrade my monitor from an old 1920x1200 to a 2560x1440. LOTRO is gorgeous in 2k resolution.

I can't get it to work on 64 bit Windows 10. I log in and select the server, then the game doesn't open at all.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I personally choose to buy the quest packs instead of subscribing, so that I can play at my own pace and not feel like I have to log in just because I have a subscription running. I haven't bought the latest quest pack though because I don't have time to raid and don't want to pay a 1200 TP premium over the usual quest pack price for content that I won't access. Maybe during the holidays they'll have a sale on it. I'd likely subscribe if LOTRO was the only game I was actively playing, but I have Overwatch, Destiny, and the Witcher 3 taking up 100% of my gaming time.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Makes me wish I had the time that I did 5 years ago, I'd totally take a stab at tanking on my Guard. Especially since there would be a lot less of the serious business blowhards than there was when I last raided in this game during Moria.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Wouldn't surprise me if they hired some temporary help to produce the raid and then laid them off now that it's been released.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm on another extended break from LOTRO, but drat it sure sounds like Turbine has got their poo poo together again. New housing is a big one for a lot of people, myself included. Mordor is something they really need to make an expansion rather than an update.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I can vouch that the spirit bear pet is pretty cool. I got that and several other things the last time Sapience did an Extra Life fundraiser.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Hey so it's been quite some time since I logged into LOTRO (before Overwatch and WoW: Legion consumed my soul). Just saw this thread had like 380 new posts. How close are they to Mordor now? I have the game installing but it's at file 4700 out of 18000 after like an hour, so it'll be a while. I hope they have some nice rewards cooked up for the 10th anniversary that's coming soon, my account is from less than a month after launch back in 2007.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Nice. It would be cool if they release a proper boxed collector's edition for the Mordor expansion, I'd buy the hell out of it.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I just read an article this morning previewing the Mordor expansion and that got me hyped as gently caress. Finally new character models? Hell yes. It seems like a lot of things Turbine said they could never do with their lack of developers is starting to get done with Standing Stone.

I can say for sure I'll be preordering the Mordor expansion. I'm starting to run out of things to do in WoW and will probably take a break for a couple months, perfect time to return to LOTRO. I couldn't even remember how long I've been gone, but I figured out that I quit when Overwatch came out. Almost a year. What are the new regions that have been released since then? I think I'll be overwhelmed for a week or two with trying to get back into the game.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I remember not wanting to pay the 1995 TP for Far Anorien last year because half of that price was for instances I'd never run. Is Far Anorien actually worth buying? I just bought the latest quest pack for North Ithilien hoping that would be enough to get me to 105.

edit: looks like this quest pack I bought might be full of only level 105 quests. There's gotta be something else I could do to get 5 levels right? I haven't played since level 100 was the cap, and I'm not sure what 100 quests I might still have available. This is an area where WoW shines.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 4, 2017

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

At the price of the Far Anorien quest pack I might as well just go VIP for a month. I just blew the last of my funbux on the newer quest pack.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 4, 2017

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm just closing in on level 102. Taur Druadan is kind of a pain to navigate, but at the same time I can appreciate that it feels like you're really out in the wild. I'd imagine the leveling pace picks up a fair amount once I get over to Beacon Hills and I'm not spending half my time looking for the right hill to climb or path to take.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I didn't play over the weekend but have been on the last couple days. Took a detour to finish up the Bingo Boffin quests, now I'm ready to go back and start Beacon Hills.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Came in here to ask what's up with the intense lag, I see other people are experiencing it as well. My character will randomly come to a dead stop and be locked in place for 10-15 seconds. Skills can take several seconds to use. Still having the same issues with my war-steed that have existed since Riders of Rohan launched, namely the choppy graphics and occasional slingshotting backwards.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Some cool Mordor stuff from Bullroarer: https://thebeardedminstrel.blogspot.com/2017/06/whats-new-in-update-21-patch-1.html

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

alucinor posted:

Hnnnng. I love this stupid game so much. Wish I had more time to play.

No kidding. After working overnight for 12 years, I got a day job in June and now have almost zero time for games. LOTRO will probably be the only thing I have time for when Mordor is out.

FailPirate posted:

the lore is very well produced and written by nerds who like to be stupidly accurate to Tolkien's writing.

The licensing requires that they stick very close to the lore, so it's not exactly their choice. This has limited what they've been able to do throughout the years, but is good because LOTRO would likely be more of a WoW clone otherwise.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They've put in a few graphical upgrades over the years and added DirectX 11 support. I recall someone from Turbine saying 3-4 years ago that they tried to include at least a little visual upgrade with each expansion, but they were quite limited by the game's engine and small dev team. WoW on the other hand looks very nice despite being 3 years older than LOTRO. I still think this is a pretty game even with dated graphics. When you have the draw distance at max, that's when it really shines.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

kzin602 posted:

I played the epic quest through the Great River and some of Rohan over the weekend and was really impressed with the landscapes. Whomever was doing the landscape design at the time of that content really nailed the feeling that these are real places that could exist in the real world. I don't know if that trend continues as the game progresses.

Rohan is definitely pretty, but I can almost guarantee you'll be sick of it after 20 levels. Back when the content was current, I did that 40+ day Hytbold grind and I still have a hard time leveling a character through Rohan. Gondor is a refreshing change after you head through Paths of the Dead.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 12, 2017

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Tewdrig posted:

I've gotta get everything, which is why I can never actually advance in LOTRO due to endless questing and deeds, but yeah, I'll probably just use my LOTROBUX from my lifetime sub in December. At like a $40/$50/$60 spread, I probably could have justified to myself paying a $60 "full price" for an expansion I'll never actually level to play. But I can't see myself paying $80 for "not everything" or $130 for "everything" when I can use like 300k in coins I'll never spend anyway. But I only play a few weeks every year or two, so I guess I'm not the target market for this. Still, would have been happy to throw money at it for a lower price.

My amount of play time has taken a significant hit since I started a daytime job last month. Used to be I could just come home from my graveyard shift and play all day if I wanted to since my wife was at work. This leaves me less willing to spend cash on the expansion, not to mention I don't want to support their choice to gate the new race behind an $80 edition. I think that's total bullshit, despite the fact that I may never even create a high elf.

kzin602 posted:

The mounted combat was a good idea but the execution is not so great. It's actually making me want to rush just the epic story to get past it. Just arrived at the eaves of fangorn in the epic story... when does the mounted stuff end :(

Thankfully it's almost all optional after Rohan, however there are still going to be areas with mounted enemies. Some of the level 100-105 content I did recently had signature mounted mobs to kill for a quest. Mounted combat was implemented terribly. The fact that running around in circles is the easiest way to kill stuff is kind of a joke. Turbine/SSG still hasn't fixed the rubberbanding you sometimes get when you jump over an object.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

If I recall correctly, in the past they've had 50% off sales for current content around Christmastime. I figure that's going to change this year since they're making you wait until that time just to buy it with points. For the price of the ultimate edition, it should be a boxed edition with some cool physical items. I would've thrown my money at them for that. The cosmetics and mounts are just ugly IMO. I bought the WoW Legion collector's edition last year for under $80 with my Amazon Prime discount and got so much more.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm a level 27 captain and I'm really taking my time. I've just gotten to the lone-lands. I thoroughly enjoy this old rear end MMO.

Truly the best way to play. If you rush, this becomes just another MMO. I realize some people are stoked for Mordor and want to powerlevel to 105, but try to refrain from doing that unless you've already gone through the content previously while taking your time.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Guild Wars 2 just announced a new expansion for next month. The most expensive package is $80 and comes with $50 worth of gems, a boost, a cosmetic set, and a couple other exclusives. Making LOTRO look silly.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I forgot to turn off my subscription and just got billed for another 3 months, plus side is I should have enough lotro bux to buy Mordor in the winter :cheers:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

flowinprose posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo... I did that poo poo pretty close to as fast as possible back when it released and it required grinding dallies every day for over a month. It was loving horrible.

For real, I think it was 41 days for me. Then I did another 5 or 6 days after that to get armor for an alt. That poo poo burned me out badly and I took an extended break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

When are they releasing the thing where I can buy Mordor with funbux

I think that's still planned for December.