Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm looking forward to coming back to the game for a bit and playing the new regions, hopefully sometime over the weekend. I guess server transfers aren't going on quite yet? It would be cool to see a larger pop server with more events being run.

Only European server transfers are currently active (and only between the destination servers; the other servers aren't consolidating on yet).

I made a new character on Landroval myself, though, and holy crap, it's already such a difference. I'm eager for the completed consolidation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ukrainius maximus posted:

So since I haven't been playing, where are they at with transfers at the moment? Have they started allowing them for select servers?

I'm looking forward to uniting my Hobbit burglar from Silverlode (Frogasm) with my Hobbit Guardian on Landroval, wherever the Nazgun end up.

Transfers haven't quite gotten to the point where you can do that yet, but I doubt it'll be much longer. I'm looking forward to make my Landrovalian end up with the Nazgun too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zipline posted:

I'm interested in getting back into this. I played LoTRO for 3-4 months in 2013 as a VIP and it was some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. The Shire is great, sure, but I really like the Archet/Combe/Staddle/Bree area, one of the best starter areas I've ever had the pleasure to play in. The problem I'm facing is lack of content. I am currently level 33, having completed most of the North Downs and Lone Lands except for some of the group content. I own Mines of Moria and Mirkwood, as well as... something else I think, but I don't remember how to check what content I own. I want to go VIP again but not until transfers from my server, Imladris, are opened. Until then how can I level from 33 to Moria? And is there a way to check what content I own?

I'm pretty sure Evendim is the region of choice for this, but I don't remember how to check what you own offhand. If you do own it, definitely go over that way.

If you don't, I might just VIP anyway. It unlocks a lot of things that stay unlocked once you have unlocked them, and also lets you use all the 1-50 zones.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Innerguard posted:

Returning after a few years away. Have Nazgun actually moved over to Landroval yet?

Transfers haven't begun from Silverlode yet. Some people are on Landroval independently though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Richard M Nixon posted:

Don't play champion. I hate my champion, but I'll be hosed if I'm leveling another class. It's the most numbing experience of mashing the same 4 buttons without any fucks given to what is being fought. I'd kill for a bit of complexity in my rotation.

Kinda seconding this. I got bored of mine which is why I'm just starting up a Captain now (on Silverlode so I can move with the rest of the kin, so I really should get her in at one point).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Glass of Milk posted:

Captain has a lot of buttons to push. The Blue line won't heal as well as a minstrel, the red line won't hit as hard as a champ, the yellow line won't survive as long as a guardian (though it is good). That's the tradeoff, plus you get a big halberd if you want.

I'm enjoying mine even if it isn't the best at anything. It's great for soloing, I've found, which is what I've been doing a lot of. And banners/buffs sound like a good plan.

I'm Tethelle, though I'm not on right now and might not be until late tonight. I'll see about getting a Nazgun invite if anyone happens to be on when I am (I have a character in the guild already so it's easy for me to check).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

How interesting is Forochel? I just realized I've never touched it and I'm getting set to start Moria. I figure I'm probably way over leveled for it by this point.

How much do you like the colour white and also difficult-to-spell names?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
More seriously, now that I'm not phone-posting: Yeah, it's pretty, and very Finnish. It's doable if you want to go there, but a lot of people don't like it. I went on my current character long enough to get the Heroine of the Lost title, but didn't finish it off right now.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

:stare:
Why didn't I know about this before?

So. . . much. . . inventory space.

It's honestly probably the single most convenient thing to buy, especially at its price.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

If you have a lot of effort and time, warden is the most overpowered solo class. If you want to be a bear and press half as many buttons and be 90 percent as good as a warden, beorning is the best solo class.

I heard that Beornings didn't put out anywhere near as much damage or tankiness at high levels as pretty much any other class, is that not true?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

They're like 3/4 of champ dps in red line from what I can tell, tankiness though they do amazing at through the combination of broken amazing self heals and the +5 morale per vitality thing helps a good deal too. The yellow line hybrid is just an amazing boss solo build that also can in some scenarios be a better healer than a minstrel.

Well.

Guess it's time to not avoid playing mine.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Titus82 posted:

Before I rolled my Guardian (Drachenfutter, a name I still haven't bothered to google to find out what it means) I rolled a Warden. In the first quest-line you are asked to perform a Defensive gambit, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, couldn't, felt horrible and decided that Wardens were not for me. I literally could not complete the first class quest.

Dragon fodder. Or dragon chow, if you're being casual.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

100YrsofAttitude posted:

2-boxing? I'm not aware of this concept.

Playing two characters at once.

Back in the day where it came from (EverQuest, AFAIK) you'd both need two (boxed) copies of the game and probably two computers because early EQ didn't exactly alt-tab well.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Huh. This thread is hopping again. Maybe it's time to come back to the game and

:yikes:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's that item?

Gift of the Valar. It makes you level 50. Only 4000 turbine points!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I should really get back into it. Maybe I'll finally try a modern Guardian.

Edit: I forgot I had a Captain in Moria, so I'm on as Tethelle again.

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 25, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
For your 60-65 leveling, is Mirkwood or Enedwaith the better option? (I'm a VIP right now so buying the areas is not a concern.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless you're skipping entire areas in Moria you'll probably be 62-63 by the time you hit Lothlorien and you can hit 65+ just by running the epic quests for that area and Mirkwood at that point.

I left Moria at 60 because I have done it before but not really much past it, though I could duck back in and do Nud-melek.

I'll poke around, though. Since I'm a subscriber I still might be able to do that as I seem to be getting bonus XP.

Edit: Thought I'd avoid a doublepost.

I didn't actually do the epic quest much while I was in Moria on this character - again, since I'd done it before. Looks like I'm still on Book II Chapter 3. Unless it's possible to 'skip ahead', I guess I know what I'm doing!

Prism fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 29, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Daybreak has it? The guys who have EQ2?

RIP LotRO, you had a good run.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
We should really change the title of this thread.

After the transition to Standing Stone my suggestion is now 'Lord of the Rings Online: We Got A Rock'.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lum_ posted:

When do you start getting Second and First Age LIs? I've still only been getting Third Age ones at 70 and they're only marginally better than non-LI weapons at this point.

When you craft them. They don't drop as far as I've seen. (Except maybe from raids?)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ArchWizard posted:

Raids can give symbols. Legendary Item Vendors in skirmish camps will let you buy level 65, 75, and 85 symbols. Some quests will reward symbols or LIs.

Ah, thanks. Wasn't sure as I've never done a raid.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lum_ posted:

hmmm... did I screw myself taking scholar instead of bowcrafting for crafting then? (I'm gonna go with "yes" given how useless fire pots are and how seldom I've crafted healing pots)

I thought light-oils weren't bad.

Anyhow, almost certainly not really, someone in the guild can almost certainly make one for you if you have a symbol. (I can't; I do Metalsmith.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
How much war-steeding is mandatory? I don't expect I'll like it very much.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's significantly faster travel speed than normal horses and fighting mounted enemies while on foot is pretty much suicide for certain classes. Get a light war horse, focus heavily on agility(?) and such and you'll get used to the system quick enough to tolerate it.

Plus you can cheese a lot of non-mounted enemies when mounted. Basically from 75-95 the only things I couldn't solo were enemy warbands that were mounted and immune to dismount. Anything else I was able to solo though some took long enough that it wasn't worth the time (mainly the 'raid' warbands).

Oh, is it something you're expected to use forever from then on? Ugh.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sassassin posted:

Always sword.

What about a 2H captain? Swords again, or halberds? Or something else?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm up to the point that I can get my first warsteed.

Is there, like, a warsteed FAQ at all? Which one's the best option for a captain? I assume lighter ones go faster but are less tough. Does riding one make me less tough, or just it?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I kind of naturally picked a halfway point: the heavy mount but all attack, so I can scream things to death.

Working well so far.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dick Trauma posted:

Unfortunately for me even after all these years my characters are fairly low level and probably can't complete most of the quests.

EDIT: Even the first list requires being at least L100 to finish. How disappointing. And the things lower levels can do are basically impossible because so many people are trying to do them.

Yeah, when I realized I couldn't do even the Year One scavenger hunt because it requires going to the Dead Marshes I was like 'welp, that's that, guess it'll be an event for the 100s'.

Edit: I can do some of the other quests and get a few tokens that way, at least.

Double edit: though the one that's easy to do at any level has a three day cooldown (though it has seven parts so you do get multiple tokens).

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 20, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

I don't know if you absolutely have to be 100 to do some of the quests or if you guys are just worried about dying to high level mobs, so we could definitely arrange a night where we group run them to help out the lower levels if it's the latter.

Well, they involve killing things in a 100 zone I've never been to, but it doesn't say they must be done solo so it's worth a shot.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
As a red-line Champion, should I be dual-wielding, using a two-hander, or whichever?

One-handed weapons have a listed lower DPS (on the weapon, I mean) but I don't know how much that's effectively improved by the off-hand, so I'm not sure which is the better option assuming the one-hander and two-hander are of equal quality.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

Two handers for red. Your options in red are pure single target damage with a bit of aoe from bladewall,or a hybrid build I do where I get champion's challenge (destroy single target bosses) but still put 1 trait point and 1 LI legacy into raging blade, the best AOE melee ability in the game. Makes the famous SHING SHING sound. This is so you can still do good AOE when adds are involved without having to work on a second weapon or switch any traits in between fights.

Yellow line dual-wield is technically the best or at least most popular champion build in game now, but the 90/10 hybrid is my personal favorite. Never giving up two handed axes.

The one hander and two hander won't be of equal quality at level 100 because the two handers get 3 stat bonuses upon crafting. The issue over time is that the offhanders keep getting better as the game levels up, but the two hander stats haven't been adjusted accordingly.

If you're still leveling up, Fluffy is right and just do whatever you like for fun.

I'm an elf if it matters (1H sword bonus) but this is about what I expected, and I've got a two-hander right now anyway - plus I'm level 77 so it doesn't really matter yet, I just wanted to know. Thanks! I'm going to start saving for Raging Blade because that sounds fun. Not sure which is Champion's Challenge. (Champion's Duel? I do have that one. It is indeed good.)

Edit: 2H sword though. Because it clips less with my armour. don't judge my priorities

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 23, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

xZAOx posted:

At first I was like "Man gently caress these scavenger hunts" but then I remembered LOTRO wiki was a thing that exists, and that I'm a hunter.

Is this the gist of the event:

Each week that dude will give you a pet if you do one of the scavenger hunts
Do scavenger hunts, races, and a couple of other sparse quests to get tokens
Tokens can buy the normal stuff, mounts / cosmetics / whatever (no pets though).

Am I missing anything?

You can get a fair number of tokens from the fireworks show in Bree when it's night (2 every half hour - it actually takes about two minutes, it just has a 30m timer); I don't know if you're counting that in the sparse quests but it's super easy if you happen to be around when it's running.

During the day you can do a quest every few hours instead for another two tokens, but it takes longer to do and you have to compete with other players for the activation spots.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dick Trauma posted:

The dragon fireworks is neat and makes a loud bang that I hope everyone nearby can hear.

We can.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Brave New World posted:

No MMO just deletes characters for inactivity/no good reason if the game is still running. Did you:
Play on EU servers run by Codemasters? If so, you may have failed to voluntarily migrate your account info over to Turbine per EU law. If that's the case, then yes, your toons are dead.
Simply forget which server you played on? We had server consolidation 2 years ago and you can transfer your old toons off of your dead server onto existing servers for free. If you played on NA servers, log into each one to see if you have toons sitting there.

Or c) forgot/can't access the old account info. It's not like he said he actually installed it from those CDs with the code...

(I did this one with my FFXI info once upon a time)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What's the Shadow system? I haven't followed Mordor's development.

Is there a link or a summary I can read? Or is this just the old dread/hope system?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
My question is, how the hell do I buy it?

The store here doesn't display correctly. I can add it to the cart even if it displays funny but I can't check out, and the in-game store doesn't offer Mordor.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AskYourself posted:

I worked for me. I use chrome with adblocker and ghostery.

I also have Chrome, just with no plug-ins. It's got a white background, all the pictures are sized wrong if they display at all (the cart icon takes up slightly over a screen... at 2560x1440) and there's no check out button after I add the version I want to my cart. I get similar results on IE and Firefox, though with fewer mis-sized items. Totally unusable.

Edit: For whatever reason it works on my tablet. wtf, turbine?

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 24, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

This owns, thanks

The runemasters got in on it after the fact.

I've been distracted with FF14 but I may come back soon, after holiday trips. I was never 115, and I can't tank, but at least I'm not paper?

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

Uninstall FF14 thanks, the returning but updated YULE FESTIVAL awaits you in like two days, filthy casual:

https://www.lotro.com/en/yulefestival

It's more that I don't own a laptop, just a tablet, so I'm not playing anything while I'm travelling. Though I'm not leaving for a few days so I'll at least get Yule sales...

Is the Nazgun still the current kinship? That's the one I'm in.