Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Conskill posted:

Do lore-masters still suffer from obscene button bloat? I know they cut down a lot of the classes but last time I played LOTRO my LM button lay-out felt like something off the space shuttle.

I just came back to my 65 LM after not playing since Mirkwood and it seems a little better. Most of my ability bars are situational stuff for group content or “oh poo poo” buttons. I only use about 6 skills ever when leveling solo. I also specced into the blue line for the first time and dang the bog boy packs a punch.

Speaking of returning players, do I need to care much about legendary items while leveling through the xpacs? I have decent enough leveling ones from Mirkwood but idk when I should start worrying about that stuff again.

Additionally, going from fighting the witch king to collecting wolf asses for hillbillies in Dunland is boring as gently caress. Do the epic quests get more fun again later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

bagrada posted:

Yeah I got to that last night. Pretty good, only complaints are sometimes it decides to stop attacking and just stare until I hit its attack hotkey again, and it kills stuff so fast it's tricky to get skill uses in to work on my deeds.

Are you rooting enemies with Cracked Earth? It'll stop attacking CCed enemies to not break the root.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

This sale sucks rear end. Helm's Deep is currently the same price as WoW's current expansion (which includes ALL the previous ones...) At least I can get it cheap from a third party and pick up Mordor for half off.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

flowinprose posted:

One of my greatest annoyances for a long time with LOTRO in general has been that the stablemaster system does not have a method to mark a path using multiple stables from one destination to another (either automatically or manually) and have it queue up the steps to get you there. While I realize that creating an algorithm to do this automatically would be pretty complex, since it would have to incorporate your known stables and fastest/cheapest path, etc.... they could at the very least implement a way to queue up routes manually on the stable map...

Yeah, it’s dumb that there’s no easy way to tell what connects to what. WoW has had this type of automatic pathing forever and there’s no good lore reason to not implement it here.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Hmm Rohan has been cool so far but I'm getting a bit bored of going from mead hall to mead hall with Nona, Horny, and some elf guy. Good thing I hit 80 so I'll only be here (checks wiki) for 15 more levels :cry:

Does West Rohan get better?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Given the glowing reviews ITT of the rest of Rohan, is there much of a downside to popping my Aria of the Valar then knocking out all the gray epic quests? I got Mordor in the last sale and I don’t plan on playing alts on the regular server. I just want to play through the main plot for my Tolkien fix but I don’t want to screw myself out of cool setpieces and epic content by using the item.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Comrade Koba posted:

Out of curiosity, what’s so bad about it?

I’ve only done the epic quests up to and including the instanced part in the barrow, but so far it’s been mostly alright.

Most of the epic quest is good to great but most of the part in Angmar was the original endgame content. This means a lot of pointless running around through poorly laid out, mob dense areas. I’d recommend getting through vol 1 book 6 then hitting Moria. You can always go back and do the remaining vol 1 chapters later.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I heard warg pens XP was nerfed but I haven’t tried in a while.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

has any mmo been offline for this long before? i've only played major western ones but i don't remember anything longer than a few hours.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lum_ posted:

- weird single-player storyline instances which have a harder difficulty curve than current Mordor thanks to AI creatures ignoring the 12 other friendly NPCs with you and converging on you instantly, every single time (it doesn't help that quite a few have attack procs that haven't been looked at in years and are probably literally broken - one type of mob, "Uruk-hai Warrior", has a fire proc that will slice about 1000 HP a tick (my health at the time was around 2800 HP); the only way to survive fighting them is to burn a self-cure as soon as it hits. hope you have one of those! those are trash mobs btw)
- when you fail those instances you invariably are thrown back to a respawn point halfway across Rohan, have to spend the next 20 minutes dodging pointless overland mounted combat mobs, and go through the unskippable 15-20 minutes of NPCs jabbering at each other before you suddenly face the same monsters who immediately piledrive into you and kill you while Eowyn and her host of riders look on uncomprehendingly
- xp advancement is uneven, on regular servers you need to burn XP potions to keep up with just doing content because they assume everyone is grinding dailies that are now completely pointless, good luck on Legendary servers with the XP debuff

oof yeah, i thought i was loving something up with my build while playing through helm's deep and dying in those usually piss-easy story instances. i really like rohan from lotr and was stoked to be working for eowyn and gandalf directly but the wind quickly went out of my sails.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I want to be excited but "free to play MMO from Amazon (who just laid off a bunch of people during E3) that stopped alpha testing of their only high profile game in development" is a pretty darn cursed pitch.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I also got the quad pack from there and watch out for Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals coming up.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Hello Sailor posted:

In retrospect, I do wish I'd had the spare cash and inclination to shell out $300 for the lifetime sub. I don't think I've spent anywhere close to that much in the store and I only go on playing binges 2-3 times a year, but I wouldn't mind using the shitloads of "free" points to throw stat tomes and whatever else at my characters.

I was in the beta in college but didn’t have the $199 to shell out for the founder lifetime sub and I’ve kicked myself several times for it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Dwarven Lore-master when??

disgusting

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Derpies posted:

I'm kind of a derp, is this game for me ???

No.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

extra stout posted:

This is going to be stupid enough that I'm going to give it a shot

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8009365#post8009365

They're doing a new server for a temporary event where Elrohir and Elladan have decided to compete in seeing who can raise the most hobos to kill each other while trying to grind deeds in level 1-50 zones. I would think this would mostly appeal to people who don't like LoTRO, people who like LoTRO PVP enough not to care about the lore or reason behind it, and people who are curious what open world PVP in LoTRO would look like.

Seems like the perfect time to get some friends to roll 5 bears, a captain and a couple hunters.

Never would have guessed this.

I'm almost 95 now and I'm so ready to roll out of Rohan. All my homies hate the eorlingas. I'm just going to assume Nona and Horn died in one of the excruciatingly long epic battles at Helm's Deep.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lum_ posted:

You run into them later. (Horn actually was mentioned in LOTR by the way)

Oh, that's cool! Glad he shows back up. It was weird spending so long with them then rolling out to Isengard and not having any clue what happened to my squad.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lum_ posted:

Free quest packs extended until 8/31 effectively forever (if you log in before 8/31)

https://lotro.com/en/friendsforever

Also all expansions (except the two most recent) will go on sale for 99 cents, so basically you can be a drunk hobbit for free forever.

That’s awesome!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

i just hit 100 and i'm loving gondor but i'm not sure where to go next? i'm doing the epic book in dol amroth / belfalas for now but it looks like all of central gondor, eastern gondor, and old anorien are level 100 zones, then far anorien goes from 100-105? I'll just follow the Vol IV epic questline for now and assume it'll breadcrumb me through these regions but any advice would be appreciated.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Thanks! I got to explore Gondor a bit more last night and I’m enjoying these zones. Idk if I’m going to do the faction grind for each of them now but I’ll probably come back to do it for the Blemished Symbol of the Elder King. I got to Retaking Pelagrir but it bugged out, gotta try it again tonight...

Thanks all for the heads up on Mordor. I’m a LM so I’m fine getting a bit beefier here before trying to solo the harder stuff.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

i leveled up from playing doordash for pippin. this game owns.

i ended up getting that first age symbol from central gondor and it'd be sweet if one of you wouldn't mind making me a 1st age LI. i can pay for the emeralds.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I’m a big fan of Forochel. SW angmar is nice for a bit to get a taste of the zone but you’re right to want to get to Moria ASAP.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

oh poo poo, happy birthday bilbo!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

e: all set now

before these dead forums finally kill the kin, can anyone make me a lvl 100 first age book and staff? i have the symbols and emeralds but don't trust any randos. i'll be around tomorrow or can just mail the stuff + a tip.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 25, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

flowinprose posted:

By the way, there is a discord server link posted in the first post.

Nice, ty. I need to start using discord more...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Givin posted:

Ok so, I'm suffering from lootbox overload. I'm drowning in these Travelers Steel Bound Lockboxes and it's honestly a pain in the rear end. Before I destroy these things, do people seriously waste cash on keys from the store for these things? I threw like 5 up on the AH at a blowout price and none have moved in 24 hours so that seems out.

Do people open these at 120 for a specific reason? Is the loot worth a drat then?

You should just filter those out imo. Everyone drowns in them otherwise.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Isn’t Lothlorien part of the Moria expansion? Mirkwood was just southern Mirkwood. That was the only expansion launch I was actively playing during.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

jalapeno_dude posted:

Nope, Lorien was a quest pack zone that didn't change the level cap from 60. The equivalent of Enedwaith/Great River/Wildermore/etc.

Oh cool. It was really awesome going there after being underground for so long.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Sounds like a bunch of servers are having issues based on social media postings about unplanned downtime. Landy went down once yesterday then has been fine?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

That’s a really good deal, but it sounds like the servers are turbofucked right now. I wish they’d mentioned that the wedding was the actual end of the game.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lum_ posted:

Pretty sure you'll get to play through at least another year's worth of trudging through orcs and dwarves holed up in Gundabad, with side trips down to Rhun to poke around judging what a lot of the Dale-land Easterling NPCs alluded to, the nuclear fallout.

Plus there's still the Scouring of the Shire!

I was just goofing about the servers dying but I’m very stoked to potentially poke around Rhun. I remember wondering about that inland sea the first time I really studied the map at the front of LotR. It’d be sweet to get more blue wizard content.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

played on landroval for a bit after lunch but lagged out twice. things are still hosed.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

idk anything about data centers but i do want to say for the record that the sounds cave-claws make are amazing, 10/10

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

i just did the napkin math on how many scrolls of empowerment i'll need to max out my LIs and holy poo poo this system is bananas. it's funny seeing years worth of posts online about an upcoming LI revamp that still hasn't happened. it'd be cool if they did that but i guess they need all hands on deck now to make sure the servers stay on?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lum_ posted:

Don't forget you can trade in motes (the main currency that you get for dissolving any gear Mordor and later) for scrolls at a fairly generous rate, it's a stopgap SSG put in until the actual revamp.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?679670-Update-26-brings-Scrolls-of-Empowerment-and-Star-lit-crystals-for-motes-and-ash

Oh, that does help. Thanks! The guide I was using was written before that update.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Cnidario posted:

Is it just me, or is the drop rate for gear in Mordor horrific? I haven’t found one item that I can turn into a mote yet, and I’m level 112

I don't remember much loot dropping there. I mostly used the crystal on quest rewards from earlier Mordor zones that got replaced.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

yeah, i'm gonna sit this one out. i had a blast getting through all the minas morgul content over the summer but this doesn't seem worth it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Bobfly posted:

Man, they seriously need to copy ff14's potency format for their tooltips. "4187-4794 light damage" is just needlessly hard to parse when it could have said "light damage with a potency of 250" or whatever instead.

Idk what that is but it sounds bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

You’re gonna want to be DPS spec for pretty much any class leveling, can’t speak specifically to leveling a guard tho.