Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Most of the captain's utility is designed around being in a party and supporting/buffing others. Given the current state of the game, grouping just isn't something that happens all that much, so you'll be leveling and killing things slower than if you take a pure damage dealer like hunter or champion. Guardian has a similar problem in that it's mostly meant to work as a party tank.

Last time I played, I thought the captain did have a fun playstyle, but it was notably slower to progress than my other classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
If you feel you're enjoying the game, your best option is probably to subscribe for a month or two. The subscription itself will unlock a bunch of things like trait slots and inventory bags that stay unlocked even if you lapse, and you'll accumulate a few points to buy extras later. I'm not sure exactly where the sub/f2p breakpoints are right now, but it has almost always been a good idea to sub for your initial leveling period, then re-evaluate what you want to do once you get a bit further into the game.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So I reinstalled this weekend for the first time in a couple of years and have been poking around to see what I can remember.

I don't think it's worth me dropping $40 on Helm's Deep, so my 85 Hunter is likely to stay on the shelf. My 46 Captain was parked in Forochel, so I started putzing around with him thinking maybe I'll hit up Moria and see all the fancy new changes they made since my last time through. Nice to see the Forochel tunnel lighting bug is still around years later.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I transferred my dudes. I may even play them one day.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Thespis posted:

What do we have to do to make the guild a little livelier?

Play a better game?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Hmmm... as a fellow GM of a goon guild in a failed MMO, I'll have to keep this thread bookmarked to see how things play out. I'm on the edge of my seat here.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I am totally willing to join in any raid content.

Unfortunately, Turbine decided some years ago to give up on raid content completely, so...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

extra stout posted:

Well I was wrong. Do we just accept we have that guy as a leader forever until we splinter or join an active Landroval kin?

Good luck with your new kin! Have fun!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I wonder if your island will turn out anything like the Knights of the Old Republic group starship, full of flashing lights, smoke and NPC male dancers.

They fuckin' wish it could turn out that fabulous.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So, if they're giving away the quest packs for free, what's in the expansions that are going on sale? Instances, I guess, but anything else?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
How the gently caress do I tell what content is on my account so I'm not buying things twice? I know in decades past, there used to be an account management page on the website that showed all your unlocks, but damned if I can find it now.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it just me or is the new LI system incredibly obtuse?

I was messing around leveling my captain a few weeks ago when it first dropped, and after reading up on it a bit, I just decided not to bother logging back in until they get their poo poo together.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

adary posted:

After not playing the game for a few years I decide to come back and explore all the new stuff they added.

So i get to Langflood.

And I find hobbits.

And they want me to deliver pies....

Again ...

I get the feeling that most of the people who have stuck with this game after all these years don't want new and different. They want delivering pies to hobbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
What's the state of relic weapons these days? I've got some time to kill between FF14 patches, but I remember the last time I thought about jumping back into this, they had just done a massive overhaul of weapons. I logged in, took one look at the giant mess of a system, and said "gently caress off".

IIRC, you had to go back to Elrond's house to level anything up, which was a kick in the teeth for a game where fast travel is as much of a pain as it is here.