Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Aww man, we've been away for a while doing RL things and there's a bit of drama starting in ye olde LOTRO thread. Don't do it, goons!

I'm looking forward to coming back to the game for a bit and playing the new regions, hopefully sometime over the weekend. I guess server transfers aren't going on quite yet? It would be cool to see a larger pop server with more events being run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

So I haven't really been paying attention but I'm updating my client in anticipation of playing this weekend. Did I miss the transfers to landroval?

E: And why not brandywine? Is landroval just as highly populated?

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 4, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm entirely new to this and giving it a try because I have a bit of spare time and a lovely, old computer that won't run anything made in the last 2 years.

Can someone give a rundown on the classes? Are there any that are good for a newbie or any that are terrible?

All the classes will do fairly ok doing solo questing. If you're looking for classes that will remain interesting to level through the cap and play repeatedly in groups, the list narrows a bit. You should be fine looking at the lotro wiki and reading the class descriptions and picking whatever suits your playstyle.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

AskYourself posted:

No you didn't miss the transfer. From what we've gather it should happen sometime in October or something.

I'm not sure we've decided on a server yet. I think we want to go on Brandywine if it's still open for transfer and Landroval being the second choice.

Great. I just logged in for the first time in almost half a year. Yay.

So nobody has transferred off yet, it looks? I saw info on the kin transfer but there's info scattered all over the forums and I couldn't tell what was up-to-date. Do we know exactly how this will work? Does everyone hold off on xfers until the kin leader initiates a transfer, then everyone else goes ahead and kicks it off?

I guess I'll have to keep checking the thread to make sure I don't ignore the window and miss the chance.

In other news, FF14 is a loving awesome MMO and sucked up almost as much time as LOTRO did. Less money, though...

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

extra stout posted:

I'm running late so I'll edit this for the new guy too, don't pick warden it costs money and is for nerds btw, but transfers for Silverlode are like 6-8 weeks off now (we're at the end of the list) so don't worry about it yet. Yes we know how it'll work, it's mostly explained on lotro.com and the forums. It's free, you choose which characters and if you want your account shared stuff to go to which server, click some buttons, boom. Housing items will transfer, house will transfer, etc. Also new guy if you pick a healing or tank class and are good at it end game I will make you rich, so consider your possible wealth! Or play what's fun.

Is it a free-for-all when the xfer button turns on, or if we xfer before the kinship is started does something mess up?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Most of the captain's utility is designed around being in a party and supporting/buffing others. Given the current state of the game, grouping just isn't something that happens all that much, so you'll be leveling and killing things slower than if you take a pure damage dealer like hunter or champion. Guardian has a similar problem in that it's mostly meant to work as a party tank.

Last time I played, I thought the captain did have a fun playstyle, but it was notably slower to progress than my other classes.

Don't play champion. I hate my champion, but I'll be hosed if I'm leveling another class. It's the most numbing experience of mashing the same 4 buttons without any fucks given to what is being fought. I'd kill for a bit of complexity in my rotation.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I still want to construct lv100 FA LIs to imbue, but I never worked at getting the blemished symbols before I left. What's the best thing I should gently caress around doing over the weekend to make progress on this? Duo BBs to earn plat, work on the rep grind in Gondor, or try and beg my way into raids? I don't think I've ever done T3 skraids but that may be an option too, if they're run often by pubbies.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Zipline posted:

The race-specific content ends at like 15 (and the Elves and Beornings don't even get that), and you're funneled into Bree-land. Everyone takes the same path at that point. You do Bree, then eventually the Barrow Downs, and it's time to go to the Lone Lands. LL doesn't have enough content to level you to the next area though, so you also do ND. That's for every character. I just want more race-specific content, something like Warhammer Online where each race had its own path.

Is there a "instant-level" token or something I can buy? I have some XP boosts that I could pop to get some of my alts up to, IDK, 30 or 40, but I was hoping to save them for when leveling gets more difficult. It'd be nice to be able to just pay $5 to hit 40 instantly and skip all of the areas I have already done to death. It's legitimately making me not want to play.

You can level to 50 instantly with the Gift of the Valar, but it's not $5. Standard price is 4995 turbine points, which is about $50. When it's on sale, you can buy it for 3746 TP, and when there's a double TP sale like now, it's $35 and you'll have a few hundred TP left over for other things. The cost is in line with the WOW powerlevel token, but this one only brings you halfway to the level cap.

When you said that burning through a zone means it's a slog on the other characters - what MMO does that not apply to? Like another poster said, there's enough content that you can easily do mostly unique quests to level for a few characters (2-3, maybe 4 depending on your use of XP boosts). Unless you mean the epic story quests, I don't see how content is really repeated. Sure if you full-clear the zones then you'll be doing repetitions, but that's every MMO ever. I don't know of any outside of maybe SWTOR and maybe ESO that lets you have a dynamic quest.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

How often do they have these 2x TP sales? I'm liking the game and can tell I'll eventually want a few more frills on the account. Is this something where I can just wait a month for the next sale or should I grab some now?

Usually every 3 months or so. Around Xmas there's a triple point sale that's even more awesome. If you don't mind waiting and want to throw around some cash, it's a way to go. I spent $200 for 44,000 points.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

If you're not using it, HugeBag is a great addon to give you a single unified bag, and it allows you to one-click merge items into a stack and sort items by category. It's been broken for a while and won't sort some newer items, so I made a patch for it.

Download the addon here
And my patch here

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

extra stout posted:

While cool, isn't every single feature of that in the game now? You can click the gear on bag 1, max it out, put no slots in the other bags, and boom, one huge bag, the game has a sort option by default too now.

Oh wow, it does. I've disabled my individual bags so I never see that option. Well then...

Thanks for ruining my pride, rear end in a top hat.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

So how do you go about getting in the goon guild

Be online and whisper one of the officers in the OP. I (Doodler) can do it as well if you see me.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

bombhand posted:

We had a nice pick-up run of Pelargir with 5 Nazgun (including kin member "Nazgun") and a non-kin friend of mine! Looking forward to being able to do more of this soon.

This was a great run. Chirp and I had some learning to do. It's hard switching from ~hardcore gamer~ to playing with a girlfriend...suddenly there's a lot less watching videos and preparing for runs and more "it's okay baby, let's figure this out together." Sorry for the trouble but it was fun to gently caress around and figure out how to do everything. I think she's interested in learning strats now so we'll see how the next round goes.

Thanks to all the awesome people who set us up with 3 first age LIs, That was a shitton of grinding reduces to dust thanks to everyone's generosity.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I ran into an issue when I realized that my carefully laid plans to extract all needed legacies from pre-imbued LIs wouldn't work on my FA as I can only do major->major. gently caress. MC had to be frivolously spent on filling the FA with good poo poo. Now, the grind of levels begins. I didn't realize how much it would cost to start opening the rest of the tiers. Maybe grinding for coins or marks would be a smarter option...

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

extra stout posted:

Glinghant runs are the best way to get marks to then barter for anfalas scrolls of empowerment, they usually sell for around 50g each on the auction, and you can also barter silver/gold Dol Amroth coins for them. I'd say some combination of all of those + turbine points if you have them is your safest bet.

I don't think I've ever run Glinghant...I was about to ask about it being low lv but I see it scales. I'll be watching for groups or maybe try to set one up. Is it popular? What makes it best for marks? I'm not too familiar with the grind mechanics in LOTRO, I assume it's just the fastest to full clear?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

extra stout posted:

Which keg takes you to the Misty Mountains? I've only got the Moria keg and the Inn League keg in my house and it would own to have a quick port there (even if it is RNG).

I think it's the inn league. It'll send to to a huge list of random places.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I worry about all the role playing nerds on landroval, and Brandywine is likely going to be more populated, but I haven't followed the news enough to know if it's opening up for transfers soon. I thought I saw an faq where a dev said it would open but :iiam:

I just hope we're somewhere bursting with people.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, apparently you can just buy all 4 expansions for $40 which is a lot better than what I was thinking when I was looking at turbine points and doing the cash conversion. That's acceptable and more or less on par with just buying the most recent expansion.

Question: if I go ahead and do that, is there any compelling reason to stay VIP after buying the expansions? Since I've gotten it once I think I have all the important character unlocks and I really don't give a poo poo about the XP bonus.

After you buy the expansions, vip still gives you the quest packs that you don't own. I think the only packs are the non-expansion dungeons, but I may be wrong. You also get some skirmishes and class unlocks. I think that's it.

Oh, and when you buy the expansions you'll get a chance to buy turbine points at a good discount. I'd consider it.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Not sure if it will help you, but I kept crashing constantly for months and it was because I had eax audio enabled. Since disabling it I haven't had any issues.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm coming back to play after being away since Gondor. I'm giving Anor a try to see if it's fun to have a concentrated population for a while - I hope they keep the expansions locked for more than 4 months, which seems too short for casual play.

I'll be on tomorrow as Tanuki if a goon can send me an invite. I was doodler on Landroval if any of the old goons are still around.

E: How do people have hundreds of gold on the legacy server already... It looks like people are grinding hard to max level and then they'll just be pushing SSG to roll expansions to the server asap so we're on par with live servers in a year. :smith:

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 28, 2018

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm trying to adopt the 'play what you want' mentality so I'm trying a warden. I see tons of recent threads and comments in world chat about how they're garbage. Is that just the ravings of min/maxers or are they really shunned as tanks? I get that they're a challenging class to play but that's not the same as being inherently useless.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm on Anor as Tanuki if any inviters are around!

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Patches still impact the legendary servers, right? They're capped at level and content but we're still on the latest release of game mechanics and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Should I just suck it up and join a reddit kinship on Anor? I'm only level 15 so it's more for background chat than anything.