Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brave New World posted:

The Moria intro quest can be(and always should be) started at level 45. That way, you get your starter Legendary Items ASAP. :viggo:

This should be in the OP in a size 96 Blingee font/gif. It's one of the best things you can do both for gear and for some nice challenge that comes of facing red enemies.

Brave New World posted:

The game costs nothing until at least level 33, so don't let anything stop you from jumping back in if you really think you want to.

Getting to 33 can also get you most (maybe all) the TP you need to buy Evendim, which will get you to 40-41.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

As a brief counter to this: I'm running Moria right now and I've been finding several you-aren't-high-enough-level-for-this-quest floating rings around. I'm missing out on content and due to not being VIP, the content I CAN do is outleveling me.

You do the Moria intro at 45 then go finish Eregion (or whatever zone you like) and enter Moria proper at 48+ which lets you pick up the storyline and allows you to grab all the quests in each area as you get to them in order* and clear out their quests. If you go in to Moria at 48 and run every quest and each instance once (or more, if you're trying to do their quests) you'll step out in to Lorien at level 61-62 easily. Skip a bunch of quests and step out in to Lorien at 58-59 to avoid totally bulldozing that area. You'll need some rep with Lothlorien to be able to move around the area fully unless you made your character a Lorien elf IIRC.

*not required, but unless you really hate an area (Foundation of Stone) it's worth going through as you reach it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

There's really never any reason to delete a character in an MMO just because you've been away for awhile. Just hop in and start killing stuff with your character's skills and see how it feels. Or google the class and look up some builds people use for it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If/when I look at the captain LI changes to figure out what legacies to aim for these days I might take a symbol to make a class item then go find a 2nd one for a weapon.

flowinprose posted:

I thought they removed that restriction in a past update? Or maybe it was just the reputation restriction to enter the woods of Lothlorien that was removed, but there still might be a requirement to complete a quest deed in the woods before you're allowed into Caras Galadhon?

Not sure. When I leveled my Captain and later my Champion I ran both through the Moria epic along the way (and completed the buggy We Cannot Get Out quest when people said it was impossible :chord:) so I got the free 10k rep with the elves before I bothered trying to go in to the forest. I think my Champion still had to do something before he could enter the city though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ruffz posted:

Does anyone here on Silverlode have maxed out weaponsmithing? My weaponsmith is like 2 weeks from being maxed out, and I need a level 100 first age crafted. I'm thinking I want a greatsword since I probably won't end up going tank spec.

I should have it maxxed on my champ. I can hop on later and double check.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Captain can be setup in to a redline with partial blueline allowing you to make up for your lacking DPS through utility, or at least you could do that at one point. Throwing down banners and tossing out buffs when you need to get a boss burned down should be a net gain though.

My champ does have Westemnet weaponsmithing mastered with Westemnet rep in the weaponsmith guild so I can make lvl 100 LIs if needed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ruffz posted:

What's your champ's name? I'll just send you the symbol and other mats when I get on next, if that's cool.

Champ is Whorunbartertown.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm having a blast with guardian.

Edit I meant to ask: is guardian just obscenely durable even for a tank or are low level fellowship quests jokes? I've yet to find something by lvl 19 that I can't solo

I can't even think of any fellowship quests you can pick up at level 19. Small fellowship stuff is soloable by some classes more easily than others. Guardian can be very tanky but I think well played Wardens still hold the title of King of the Group Content Soloers. Not sure how many classes, if any, can solo 3 man content on-level now, or if you can 3-man skraids like you could at 85 (which was hilarious because I'd see full 12 man groups fail the exact same content :psyduck:).

As others have mentioned, though, changes over time have made things easier early on. The most noticeable for this is once you hit level 45 and can start getting loot drops from scaling dungeons like Great Barrow. Some of the teals, in a level 45 version, would probably last you through all of Moria because of the stat allocation. Moria's epic quest chain gives out teal gear that's pretty nice either way and some of it has effects you rarely, if ever, see on gear. Like enhanced run speed or CC duration reduction.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Brave New World posted:

A disgruntled member of the Player Council has spilled the beans:
http://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/3664-leixy-banned-from-lotro-update-17-leak-details/?page=1

More big battles with Minas Tirith. gently caress.

Leixy was a very prolific poster on the official forums, so his permaban from the game over this leak is big news unto itself for those of us that actually use the OF.

That he got banned for posting GM chat in to a channel means either he had a long rap sheet (odd if so, since you'd think that'd keep him off the council) or a GM was a bit overzealous in applying the rules. OTOH this is the same MMO that at one point had a GM monitoring Nazgun chat apparently. :shrug:

The Big Battle usage doesn't surprise me. Making battles probably takes a lot less time than creating actual dungeons would. It doesn't help that Big Battles are basically MOBA-style gameplay shoehorned in to an MMO. Still, it's the only expansion feature that hasn't gotten neglected in subsequent content other than LIs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah the Turbine guys were somehow surprised that people will replace LIs every few levels. I think they really believed someone was going to get a low 50s 2nd age and use it all the way to level 60 when Moria came out, rather than what people actually did, which was to constantly replace stuff with better drops because there was no reason not to.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh I'm not. I just wanted to find a nice quest hub where I could pop a booster to maximize usefulness but I really don't care that much.

Clear every warband you can and then turn them all in at once after using a booster during a big quest turn in. Boosting a dozen or so warband turn-ins can be a lot of extra XP. When Helm's Deep came out I did that and pretty much gained a full level instantly. Also did it in west gondor because there is/was a lull you can run in to otherwise IIRC. either way, if you're using boosters there's no reason not to go kill all the warbands first unless you actively avoid them and the fairly easy XP they give (except the mounted ones who can't be dismounted, gently caress those warbands).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oxphocker posted:

Or save your points to make a tricked out lvl 100 1st age with max tiers before imbuing. The tier scrolls are pretty expensive.

Can't you buy the scrolls with skirmish marks anymore?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The solution is to get your kids playing Lotro. You'll be able to run all the small fellowship content too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Landroval>Gladden>Brandywine would be the way to prioritize servers imo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If you're VIP the tiers unlock automatically as long as you advance during VIP, so you could try to max out guild rep during that time if you do the usual "buy a month of VIP to unlock various benefits" thing. Once VIP ends you'd have to unlock the new tiers IIRC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

:stare:
Why didn't I know about this before?

So. . . much. . . inventory space.

This is the single most useful thing I've bought in Lotro. The Universal Toolkit has been handy, and the 6th bag for everyone is cool too, but it all pales in comparison to the usefulness of a wallet that holds the 239464328658 currency items for your characters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Buy the wallet upgrade. You will immediately wonder how you managed to play this game without it. Then you'll wonder what to do with all the extra inventory/storage space it clears up. It's also nice because account-based currency shows up for all characters properly, like skirmish marks from your max level character being available to an alt you're leveling.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's been awhile since I played KOTOR but I'm pretty sure even that game had a handful dumb "kill 10 wamprats" or "collect bear wookie asses" quests

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

lvl 31+ on LIs let you get a legacy scroll out of it, which really isn't too important when you're leveling but it also helps you stockpile XP runes so that when you upgrade your weapon (every 5 levels or so usually) you can max it out immediately.

Most classes can use a level 60 class item without issue until 85+ and getting a couple level 100 people and murdering the Turtle shouldn't be too bad after the move. I know for Captain I basically used a lvl 60 1st age emblem until I made a lvl 85 1st age when the Erebor stuff came out. Not sure if the lvl 85 symbols are still really cheap in skirmish camps, but for classes like captain and champion you can probably get away with a lvl 60 until 100. The extra points for legacies is more useful than having higher base stats, especially if your legacies are all % based.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ronpaul_its_happening.gif

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ruffz posted:

Weirder things have happened. Some pubbies hold grudges for a lot longer than what is healthy.

GM Kitsune could still be watching us. :tinfoil:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oxphocker posted:

Found a housing zone almost completely empty... Knotheim in the dwarf homesteads. We have the kin house in the middle...get in fast so we can fill up the zone.

Stupid transfer delays :emo:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

xZAOx posted:

There were still several houses last night when I ran around, just none of them deluxes.

I have a large(ly empty) house on Silverlode right down the hill from the Goon kinhall. I definitely need a big house because one day I'll totally fill it with stuff while making my yard look like a trash pile. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Level 100 Elder King symbols are only 30-40 gold each on Landroval? :stare:

Gonna have to craft up a nice shiny 2h sword (or maybe a halberd, but probably a sword) for my Captain later tonight. Might craft several if the first one ends up with terrible built-in stats.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Was going to play this some this weekend but the Shadow Complex remaster is stealing my time instead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lost on the bids I made on symbols the other day so just bought one outright for 60 gold. Will probably make my Captain a weapon tomorrow once I decide which to make. Halberd's extra aggro still seems awful for non-tanking captains.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Markkei posted:

Speak for yourself, I still use the Aldburg crafting hall in Rohan! Bank, Auction House, crafting stations, and guilds all in one tiny building!

Halberd passive was changed to better suit non-tanking captains, actually: it's now an extra 2% crit chance on auto attacks. That said, I wouldn't worry about choosing a weapon type with the "right" passive since the difference is small.

I just liked halberds because they look cool. :shobon:

I also keep one of my two recall points set to 21st Hall in Moria because the stuff is conveniently located (though Bree is still probably the best) and Moria never stops being cool.

bombhand posted:

This is nice, all of these changes are nice. I have some time off between Christmas and New Years so at least I'll be able to play then even if I'm not able to find much time beforehand. (100YrsofAttitude, this means daytime LOTROing means I hope you'll be around!)

Evil Fluffy, sorry, didn't realize you were after a symbol. I have a couple in my vault from when I was running Pelargir every morning.

I still have about 1400 gold so it's not an issue.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure I duo cleared Vile Maw multiple times with other lvl 95 goons so 1-2 level 100s can probably take newbies through it. If you have a level 100 tank+healer combo it's definitely doable as most of my lvl 95 duo runs were my captain tanking with someone else running lm/rk/mini, or my captain healing with someone else tanking.

That was also back when you could 3 man the Moria skraids though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

MartianAgitator posted:

What's wrong with the minstrel's sound effects? Mid-combat with terrifying, corpse-eating orcs and your minstrel pulls out his jazz flute for some swank improv. Hell yeah.

I turned down my voice levels when I started playing a Captain because as entertaining as it was to have an guy screaming like hair metal band's singer and killing enemies by doing so I really didn't need to hear the same 2-3 yells every few seconds.

e: I just saw a guardian with a 2h sword that was apparently level 341/341 and all their legacies were tier 44? Is that just how the growing LIs look? Considering their entire left side accessories were gold jewelry from big battles, and their two non-set pieces of armor were jammed full of top-tier essences I'm guessing it's someone who plays considerably?

I think they own my old house too. :(

e2: Finally logged in and crafted my 1st age weapon. Has +87 agility, +961 power and +1114 morale as its random(?) stats. Was hoping for crit/might but this is probably fine as I don't see a point in spending tons of gold making LIs for what would likely be a very small improvement that isn't guaranteed either. The three majors on it are cutting attack damage, battle shout damage, and melee skill critical damage. What're the worthwhile LIs support/damage Captains aim for before these days imbuing a weapon(battle states and defeat response)? I'll have to go through my current LIs and scrolls and see how much I'll need to work on the weapon. Then once that's all done with I'll probably make a class item to replace the lvl 95 I have now.

Also with imbuing are Crystals of Remembrance basically a waste, or do their extra legacy slots carry over to an imbued LI? Apparently I have 1-2 crystals on each character, likely as part of past expansion preorders, and it'd be nice if this means I can imbue a pair of LIs and never worry about it ever again.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 16, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Under no circumstance should you ever solo Big Battles when you start doing them. ALways run them with another (ranked up) player. Big Battles when you're new are awful to run solo. Even with another newbie they can be pretty rough. I'd suggest doing quests because even though you get scaled up, Big Battles will still be rough at lower levels and especially when you are just starting them.

e: Are there any current guides for the LI imbue system? I can't find anything useful for figuring out which legacies I'd want to have on my weapon when I take it to 70, upgrade the legacies, and imbue.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 16, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Markkei posted:

Not necessarily a guide, but this site lists all the legacies on both normal and imbued legendary items so you can plan out which ones you want to aim for.

https://lotrotools.pw/legacies.php

To answer some questions in your previous post, as a captain I'd go for legacies such as AOE healing, melee crit magnitude, battle-hardened outgoing healing, muster courage fear resist, bleed damage, and battle readied damage.

Crystals of remembrance will still add another legacy slot to your legendary pre or post imbue so they are still useful.

Am II reading this site right that Captains just have a flat 15s defeat state duration instead of 10 seconds, hence the lower desire for the defeat state legacy? The weapon came with the crit damage legacy on it already so that's one down at least.

Also that pressing attack max targets turns in to the battle-hardened outgoing heal legacy when you imbue the LI?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

For new players joining us, once you get in the guild give a shout if you don't have some good gear. Crafting equipment isn't too bad, especially light/medium stuff since you likely have the leather/flax already if a crafter doesn't. Not everyone can make everything (I still haven't worked up a jeweler or historian(?)). but someone might be able to get you setup to make lower levels go more smoothly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lum_ posted:

It's a little after 20 now, since Lone-Lands isn't free any more (was it ever? I could have sworn it was free for the longest time) so you'll have to either buy that (recommended) or North Downs after Bree.

Lone Lands originally wasn't free, then it was made free. Its been free for several years so if it's no longer free that's kinda sudden and weird.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Don't buy that instance though because while it's alright it's not really worth the TP unless they made it a lot cheaper recently.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^ Play on the US server IMO.

So for leveling LIs what's the fastest way these days. Murder a bunch of roving threats/warbands for lots of quest turn-ins? After making my 1st age weapon I noticed that on my current LIs I can get 2 or 3 useful legacies like AOE healing and resist fear. Also came across a Champion yesterday who had 3 first age weapons/emblems each. The class items were named red/blue/yellow and his weapons looked like they were setup the same way. 4 out of 6 of them were imbued and considering the one weapon had about 10-15% more DPS than my Halberd I'm guessing they dumped a bunch of starlit crystals in to it. Apparently you can use 3 starlit crystals before imbuing, then 3 more after?

Haerc posted:

Huh, I have a ton of quests there, but some are locked... I never bought it AFAIK. Is there a way to quickly check what you have bought/what you own from the store?

Epic Quests aren't tied to ownership of a zone until you reach Helm's Deep, IIRC. You probably have those book quests and maybe a few unaffiliated ones like the class quests.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Re: Wardens. I'm just gonna leave this right here...

http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/lotro/chart/0.68/warden_gambit_chart.pdf

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

When I played my Warden it was kinda fun after I had the hang of it (also the combo masteries) but then I stopped playing it for a month and when I tried to go back to it it was a cliff or relearning the class. Meanwhile I can hop on my Captain after being gone for months and remember how to play it effectively in no time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Titus82 posted:

I also rolled a Champion, along with an assortment of other characters, and spent all day yesterday playing my Champ for a change of pace and found it to be pretty fantastic. I have no idea how useful a Champion is in groups, but solo they are fun and appear to me to be self sufficient. I just need to come up with a better name for my Herald than Bentley (to my undying lament I couldn't use Mr. Belvedere. Who wouldn't want a dude following them around everywhere named Mr. Belvedere?)

If you have a herald you played a Captain, not a Champion. Champions are DPS who can sorta tank if specced for it but shine best as a DPS. Not sure how it is now but for a long time Champs were the best single target DPS over a long period of time. Captains are pretty fantastic in groups because they can provide a bunch of buffs and healing. I'm not a fan of tanking as a Captain and their own DPS isn't going to match up to champ/hunter/rk but they can boost a group considerably. I used to heal 3 and 6 man content for goon groups back when we were more active in the RoR and HD expansions though I'm not sure how well Captains can heal 6 man content these days. Either way, they add an extra layer of support to groups that can be very useful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Haerc posted:

I tried going to Moria at 46, and I feel like I'm a couple levels too low still :/

Playing a Captain.

Complete the Moria epic intro at 45 (it's rough but worth it) and then just level in Eregion until 48, maybe 49. You'll be fine in Moria then. At 46 I'm not sure you can even get all the normal/epic quests at the entrance in Moria. At 48 you should be able to get everything and you'll still skip parts of Moria unless you want to leave the place at level 62-63.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Angmar is awful and you should've bailed on it as soon as Eregion's quests were orange/yellow. That zone's significantly better both in layout and quest flow. You can go from probably 44-48 there, maybe 43-48 but you may have to deal with red quests/mobs early on which can be a pain.

Scaling instances may also start dropping gear at 45 (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) so realistically what you could do at 45 is run the Moria intro and then, ideally, find people to run some stuff like Great Barrow with (or get a lvl 100 goon to blitz it a couple times) since you'll get XP and some gear that will be purple/teal and have solid stat distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

I always did Eregion to 45, get my legendary, then finish Eregion. Moria is doable at 45, but the issue is finishing all the content and being too low for Dunland, which would necessitate doing some lothlorien stuff

Run some Moria (or scaling) instances and you've cover any level gap. Burning through the Mirkwood epic to make sure you have all the skirmishes and such unlocked would do it too. When I leveled my champion I entered Moria at 48, left it at 60 (which left Foundations of Stone and Flaming Deeps largely untouched on their quests outside of Epics) and basically ran through the loth/mirkwood epic quests and any regular quests I found convenient, and I think I still hit 65 about the time I finished the Mirkwood epic. I went straight to Dunland and skipped Enedwaith then.

Also got myself two of the melee crit rings from Warg Pen at 65 and when I hit 75 they were still better than anything else I could reasonably get, also had some other assorted 65 gear from scaling instances because Dunland's gear options largely suck.

e: Also Dunland in general is just kinda awful. Mirkwood isn't as good as Moria but it's still pretty solid. Dunland just feels bad and if I level another character I'm going to be there as little as possible, hitting the Great River as soon as I can.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 24, 2015