Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Haerc posted:

Yeah, I never got Eregion, I probably should.

It's worth having. The only other pre-Moria zone* that has questing as well plotted out is probably Evendim. And in Eregion there's no giant lake to swim fast travel across constantly.

* Haven't gone through reworked North Downs or Trollshaws yet but I'm not holding my breath on either being as well setup or easily traveled as Eregion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Also you might want to use the non-steam client unless Lotro-via-steam doesn't force you to always use Steam like FFXIV and other games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cnidario posted:

Got the quad pack and Helm's Deep and made the switch to Landroval, so I'm ready to grind 75-100 and, if I'm not burnt out yet, run endgame content with some goons.

First off, recommendations on how to use the 1000 TP I received with Helm's Deep?

Second, who should I contact for the kin invite?

Get the upgraded Wallet if you don't have it yet. The 6th inventory bag is handy too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

You don't need a sub to fast travel, or was that just a thing for accounts/characters created before the game went F2P?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Started playing again in ernest last night. It looks like my current set of LIs I have leveling each may have a desired skill for my 1st age halberd (including the 2nd age lvl 100 halberd I never finished working on when I hit 100 a year or so ago) so that'll be nice once I get them all to 30 so I can deconstruct them for their legacies then burn a bunch of marks for scrolls to max their tiers before imbuing the LI.

Came across a Roving Threat and a Warband in the first town you go to in Central Gondor. Warband required killing the guards first, so that took a little while. The Roving Threat was some 540k hp arch-nemesis troll who I soloed by riding in a circle for probably 10 minutes while yelling at it. I guess when you have a quest to kill the threats it's worth it? The only drop it gave on its own was a 500 rep token. Saw a lot of people in glff forming groups for Sambrog(still?) and Skraids which was nice.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It can be worth doing a month of VIP for that and for crafter guild rep power leveling. When I worked on my Warden's farming stuff I had him build up a bunch of rep items over a month or so and once I went VIP to unlock a couple things I had him dump all of it in to his crafting guild to max rep with them so I wouldn't have to unlock it with TP (which is per guild/character or something dumb like that), I did the same for my Captain's tailor rep and my Champ's weaponsmithing to get them all up to the Westemnet rep level.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The 6th bag is a buy-only thing but what I did was I bought it when I was VIP (thus had 5 bags) and it let me skip buying the 4th and 5th bag as a result. Cosmetic vault space might work the same way too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ruffz posted:

XP from crafting was introduced about 3 years ago I think. You can literally level to 100 by never using a weapon, but it would take so much time that you'd burn out long before hitting the level cap. Out of curiosity I just looked on the LOTRO forums and someone leveled to 85 doing nothing but crafting, and it took 318 hours. Level 1-85 is over 21 million XP. Then 85-100 is another 25 million. You hit the halfway point for total experience when you're around level 87.

My Warden went from level 10 or so to the mid 30s via farming when I decided to max it out back during RoR. He also had kindred with the iron garrison (both factions) before level 15 because of all the extra rep items my captain had. Being able to immediately go and get the good faction mount goat as soon as you can access Moria is wonderful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wouldn't mind a quest pack sale for East Gondor but I'll probably just pay the TP cost once I get to it in the next day or two. Going to need to grab someone to go run the post-HD battles and get the gold-plat credit for the 1-2 man stages too.

Still haven't done all the 12 man objectives for HD and I don't think I've seen any groups form for it lately either.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Could've swore HD was $10 on the lotro site maybe a day or two ago. Considering the 4 pack of expansions goes on sale for $10 fairly often there's not much reason HD should still cost that much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ruffz posted:

Gondor is fantastic in my opinion. It's the content leading up to it that is pretty average and bland. Rise of Isengard is probably the worst content in the game. Luckily you can skip a lot of it now by staying in Mirkwood/Enedwaith until 68-70 and then hitting Great River. But then you get 20 levels of Horse Land aka Rohan. Gondor is a breath of fresh air after you go through the Paths of the Dead.

Is there anything to do in Paths yet or is that still an area void of raids and other content despite being pretty much ideal for some crazy content? I've never gone back to check.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scaling for (some) dungeons has been a thing in this for a few years now. No idea if/when we'll ever get it for remaining non-scaled content. I'd love to see some level 100 Moria instance runs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Considering that at level 100 with a level 100 first age weapon my Captain hits for less damage than he did at 75-80 with a level 75 2nd age I'll welcome some buffs to him. I know it was broken OP as hell to crit for 15-20k at 85 with an 85 weapon but if I crit for over 10k now it's a rarity.

I burned almost all my marks on Anfalas Scrolls recently too. Why couldn't the cost reduction have come first. :negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AskYourself posted:

Why are you hitting for less at 100 than at 85 I don't understand ?

Because Captain riding damage got crippled at some point between RoR and the current content. It might've happened in Helm's Deep but I wouldn't have noticed because Helm's Deep had a cooldown bug that made the Captain's bigass nuke have about a 4 second CD and every other attack was an instant refresh, so when the bug was in effect I'd solo warbands in about 1/10th the time they'd normally take.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 9, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, you need to do a few levels in Angmar, Misty Mountains, or skirmishes after Evendim before hitting up Forochel; Forochel is a 44-50 zone.

You can start Forochel at 42. Eregion is startable at 44. You'll have a bunch of orange enemies and maybe an occasional red but it's doable and better than Angmar.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lars posted:

I ended up throwing some turbine coins into Misty Mountains, and really enjoying that zone so far. No regrets. I rubberband like crazy today though :(

//ProgressReport: 45,4. Enjoying the world and taking it slow.
(Hey, wait - 45! I should probably look into Moria right now...)

Appropriate :D

If you're 45 drop whatever you're doing and head to Moria. Once you finish the Moria intro and have your pair of starter LIs you can go back to whatever you were doing (or start Eregion if you haven't yet). Moria's still one of the best areas, if not the best. The instances are fun and Grand Stair has 22 or so quests so you can get a full level and change from those, especially if you use an XP pot and/or turn them in on a welcome back weekend.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lars posted:

Yup, 46 and got my LI staff. Just finishing up NE Misty, and I'll be on my way to Foroshel for just another level - then starting Eregion. :)

You should have two LIs, not just a staff. I think the 2nd one is given by going inside Moria and talking to someone at the entrance. Unless LM is weird and only gets one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ignore Hytbolt, it's awful and I can't imagine doing that grind now that it's not level capped content.

Rohan's atmosphere is hit and miss. Helm's Deep is neat at times but it also has some repetition, including moving from town to town.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

At least crafting eventually added the Processing thing that basically eats materials to let you level the craft faster. It doesn't address the fact that resource gathering is still hellishly boring but it's a start.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

extra stout posted:

Rename explorer to millennial because you essentially re-sell poo poo you didn't make on ebay, have no understanding of the world or a craft of your own.

Explorer is handy on my Captain because I was able to make my own banner and herald dressup outfits. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Titus82 posted:

Hey,

I am looking for some newb advice on low level tanking. I recently discovered that I am a bad tank, I either cannot hold aggro or I go down lickety split, and the more I've read the more confused I have got. So I had hoped that somebody here could help set me straight on the matter.

I recently did some instances where I was the primary tank, including my first go at Ost Elendil, where I did horribly until somebody told me to go Blue Line instead of Red. Obviously this allowed me to keep aggro, but I don't have the ability to heal as well (no heals on crits) so I die. A lot. Now I realize I could spend points in red line while I'm blue line, but doing so eats up so many points that at level 41 I have very little left over to spend on blue line.

I've also seen a lot of posts on other sites talking about Guardians needing to focus on Might and Fate, not Might and Vitality, as the increase to the mits from Fate are better. But this flies in the face of what I was originally told when I started out (though it sorta makes sense to me.)

Lastly I've heard people brag about being about to tank 3-6 mobs at a time with their Guardian, while I can do 1-3, sometimes more if I'm a little lucky or they are lower level. I feel inferior and wonder if it is my play style.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I want to be able to group and not suck. That's really it.

Gear and experience are the main thing that let people take on a bunch of mobs at once. In group content someone else should be your source of healing, though I haven't played guardian before. A really good warden might keep themselves up on trash and such for I haven't seen one self-heal enough against bosses outside of some 3 man content.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Once you hit 95 (maybe 85?) you'll want to start taking LIs to 30+ for the legacy scrolls, that way when you do make some level 100 first age LIs you have the legacy scrolls you want/need for making your ideal LIs. You could probably do something similar for bridles but I have no idea how much those matter for mounted combat these days.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

Great stuff, thanks a lot guys.

If Filikul (turtle) is something you can enter (it has no level requirement now iirc?) you should poke some level 100 goons when you see them online. That instance gives tokens that you can trade in for level 60 first age LIs and should be doable by 1-2 level 100 characters. For a lot of classes the level 60 LI is good enough to use until 85+ since percent-based legacies aren't affected by levels like raw point-value ones are and so the extra legacy points make it better that a higher level 3rd or 2nd age class item while leveling.

Plus the instance can sometimes drop 1st or 2nd age LIs so if you're lucky you might get one of those too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If there are people needing turtle runs I can help with it later tonight or maybe tomorrow evening.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Titus82 posted:

Hey,

I'm in the guild as Drachenfutter, currently level 45, and there are a bunch of instances/raids/BBs I've never done and would love to do. Even if they aren't level appropriate, like the Great Barrows, or the ones in the Lone Lands, or what have you. What I am saying is that I would be done to doing group stuff.

Sundays are terrible for me, but most every other day is pretty good. Ish.

Also, I might be on an alt, namely as Ardelin (Captain), Rudduck (Warden), or Uthane (Lore Master). I should probably try to get Ardelin and Rudduck in the guild if I plan on playing them like I have been, which has been every other day.

I'll try to hop on on my captain (Paksigue) this evening. I can run you through those instances and if another 100 is on we can get a turtle kill for any lowbies online as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ruffz posted:

I'd stay in Moria for as long as you can take it. If you're level 50 heading in there, it'll get you to at least 63 if you do every quest. Then you can choose between Lothlorien, Enedwaith, Mirkwood, and starting Dunland early. I'd personally recommend leveling in Lothlorien and then Mirkwood until 70, then you can skip the boring parts of Dunland.

edit: I forgot that the Rise of Isengard content can be skipped entirely if you go to Great River from 70-75.

It can be worth doing the bare minimum if you want to run the epic for the story and a few cool cosmetics. But yeah Dunland sucks and I minimize my time there when possible. My Champion uses the Dr. Doom hood+mask that you get as a quest reward at some point there. It works well when combined with ragged clothing like the prisoner stuff.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Uch-Gwirod requires us to give welcome to duvodiad. :shepicide:

While Lotro has always been a bit repetitive with NPCs, I think Isengard is where it became noticeably terrible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's weird, The Hobbit gave Lotro a surge of new/returning players in general and they jumped on it with the Erebor instances then... went back to their regularly planned stuff. Making a Northern Mirkwood or Anduin Vale/Carrock zone probably wouldn't have kept the crowds but it might've helped. At the end of the day Lotro's an aged MMO though and it really can't compare to others like FFXIV unless you really like Middle Earth.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Play a better game?

This is the heart of the problem. The only reason to play Lotro is for a Tolkien fix. There's nothing else in the game that makes it worth playing over others aside from the setting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

There are also 4 skill points tied in to HD's epic storyline so even if you'd skip HD for whatever reason you're going to be somewhat crippling your character as a result.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If the next area is 1995TP it better be at least RoR or HD sized.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

e: drat, hobo posted first.

I'm not sure what you guys think you can do with the kin leader role (or any role) that you can't do as officers that will get people playing this again. There's low activity for a reason and it's not because of inactive leaders (it's because this game is aged as hell). :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

xZAOx posted:

The only realistic thing a lotro goon can do to see raid (hell probably even group) content on a regular basis is to join a different kin.

Sorry, but it's the truth. Hobo is right. Game is old. We love it, but it's mostly a solo affair for our kin.

Yeah I mean I'd play this again but FFXIV is just a better game at this point and Lotro being based in Middle Earth isn't nearly enough to steal me back when it's still ultimately a decade old game that Turbine probably can't/won't invest significant funds in to for an overhaul.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So is Turbine still running a skeleton crew on Lotro so they can siphon off its profit to waste on other projects or did they actually realize they should put more money in to a game that supposedly brought in 104 million dollars in 2014?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The lands sound of Gondor would be content they could have near-free reign to do whatever. North Mirkwood and Erebor, with some further expansion over to Rhun.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

extra stout posted:

Get a level 3rd/2nd/1st age symbol, have the appropriate crafter craft it (will also cost some shards that can be bartered at the skirmish vendor, some supplies of that craft).

Rename it, give it a really cool name.

Upgrade it with a Crystal of Rememberance (most expensive kind in game,( have fun unless you've got the Helm's Deep deluxe/pre-order thing)
Upgrade it with 3 Star-Lit Crystals

Use crystals on a 3rd age LI? Even on a 2nd age that's a waste.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Race is actually not inconsequential, be a hobbit.

Counterpoint: Hobbits can't be Captains* so don't be a Hobbit.

* which, in a LOTR-following game, makes no sense considering Merry and Pippin's leadership at the end of RotK once they get to the Shire.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I forget but does this game have any "modify an .ini file to get ultra detail and view distance" sort of thing (that won't get you banned) or no? When I build my new rig in a few days I might hop on this to check the new content and I'd love to be able to do something like make my PC render all the things at eagle eye distance or something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

extra stout posted:

Just make sure you install the ultra res client and not the regular one is my only, very obvious advice.

Is there somewhere special I need to go for the ultra res client? I thought Lotro only had one installer/client these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Brave New World posted:

If you're level 45, you need to immediately buy the Moria expansion and get started on it's intro quest, which awards your first Legendary weapon. We all start that the second we hit 45. Plus, Moria is almost universally agreed to be this game's strongest content, so you do want to check it out.

E: And it gives you Warden and Rune Keeper classes too!

I don't think you need to buy Moria to do the intro quest. Pretty sure only Helm's Deep gated the epic quests behind a paid expansion.