Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hi goons - I'm in a Middle-Earth kind of mood right now and contemplating trying LotRO out, but the F2P-ness is confusing me. Is there a way I can just Buy The Game (i.e. throw $60 at it and get everything except the latest expansion, like you can with other MMOs)? Or do I have to get Mordor + Minas Morgul + Three Peaks + Gundabad + Before the Shadow separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

You missed an anniversary event last year which gave most of the expansions for free to subscribers

Thanks for the answer - :rip: my timing, I guess.

I'm fine with getting the expansions individually as-needed since they seem to all be 60% off right now - just wanted to make sure there wasn't an obvious gotcha with the way they're packaged on the store.

I guess the next question is whether or not there's any point in buying them to unlock new classes etc. if I'm probably not going to subscribe (since I'm just dipping my toe in), though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 22, 2023

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

its definitely recommend to at least subscribe for 1 month to unlock a bunch of useful stuff for your account, but yeah maybe after trying it out for a bit.

Cyrano4747 posted:

As someone who did exactly what you did, buy 1 month and cancel your sub immediately. Buy any other expansions as you need them, frankly the game is fun as hell but it's also not something you're going to main for months solid and rush the plot. You'll likely have plenty of time to grab things on sale here and there.

Cool, thank you for the suggestion! I've gone ahead and grabbed a month of sub time since I don't mind throwing a few bucks at the game.

Rolled a dwarf Guardian, since I didn't particularly like the idea of playing ranged DPS (even knowing about the Hunter travel skills). :)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 23, 2023