Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

bombhand posted:

I think that the Shire should be the starter area for all players' first toon, regardless of race, because it's the area that best represents what makes LOTRO special. Sure, it's a whole pile of fetch quests and boar butts, but the difference is that when it's hobbits asking, it feels natural and proper and kind of endearing, instead of an arbitrary time-waster. That spoiled pie really matters to these little guys.

So for any new players who are thinking of starting up the game, if you don't go with hobbit as your race, the first thing I suggest you do is get your butt to Bree, or Celondim, or Thorin's Gate, and take the swift horse to Michel Delving (the Bree swift horse is at the West Gate, not the South Gate). Go north from Michel Delving into Little Delving and look for Mundo Sackville-Baggins to start the Shire prologue epic. Follow it or follow whatever other quests you want to pick up. If you don't find it at least a little charming I weep for your soul.

I started playing this game again a few years back, maybe more and played in the kinship for a little bit (got burnt out on gaming for a bit and never picked back up though) and played as a hobbit for my first time, a hobbit minstrel. Can confirm that the Shire is definitely the best starter zone, even if the actual quest gameplay was a little bland. The shire is amazing, I kinda miss that little singing fucker. And my 50 champion (I quit playing the first time before moria released)

This thread makes me feel a little nostalgic. It wasn't with goons, but LotRO was my first real mmo experience. I'd played WoW but never hit level cap or got into a guild that I felt a part of a community. LotRO was what really sold me on the whole mmo thing for awhile. Also Rift was a ton of fun to learn with people who'd never really raided before. Kinda frustrating though. I never did get to complete helegrod though

Ironically enough my first mmo experience with goons was in Aion. I quit playing before release

Eerkik fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I quit playing lotro like 10 years ago, but it was my first serious mmo. I fondly remember raiding Rift and Helegrod on my 50 champion.

Decided to get back into it, but don't know my account info so I guess I'm starting over, just can't decide between captain or warden, or maybe even minstrel. Once I decide I guess I'll hop into discord and ask for a invite to the kin

It amazes me how much the games changed since last time I played (before Moria, hell I remember I was still leveling my character when Forochel released). I don't think trait lines were even a thing back then.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I'm really enjoying captain thus far at level 17 with the very little free time I have to play and the herald itself seems p cool. The only thing I don't like so far is that I'm a high elf but my herald is human and also a peasant. Will my herald always be a peasant looking motherfucker? I know he'll never be an elf but it's so unregal looking for my dainty Helf

Also I have no idea how I'm supposed to stick with a class when they all seem so cool, like I want a hobbit minstrel and burg and a man loremaster and warden, and back in SoA days I wanted a Guardian (only because no one would let me tank raids on my champion)