Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Diabetic posted:

I've been a huge LotR dork for about 20 years, I've not played this very much, but what is a good class/race starting out in the game? I've played all the major MMOs previously, WoW of course and FF14, GW 1 & 2. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've always advised people to avoid Man as your first race. Archet/Bree is as boring as the human starter zone in any other MMO you've played. If you really, really, really need to experience JRR Tolkien's version of Elwynn Forest firsthand, then you only have yourself to blame when you find yourself bored to tears with logs, boars and all the usual human poo poo.

It's Tolkien. Roll a loving Hobbit, Elf or Dwarf.

Also, don't make the mistake of racing towards endgame. Its a long journey, and the raiding isn't as hardcore as WoW. They did a great job on raiding in the first few years, then they actually shot themselves in the foot by intentionally not making raids, but then they realized what a mistake that was and started making raids again. We'd need to hear from other goons as to how good/bad the raiding scene is currently. Regardless, it's not worth racing towards.

If you're not into reading quest text and smelling the roses, you'd probably be happier somewhere else. You'll find yourself collecting the same 27 Speckled Woodchuck Assholes that you'd collect in any other MMO, but here you have the chance to collect 27 Speckled Woodchuck Assholes for THE LADY GALADRIEL HERSELF. As far as masturbatory fan service goes, only Star Trek Online does anywhere near as good a job of porting an IP into an MMO, and even that doesn't hit the mark anywhere near as well as LotRO does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I wasn't trying to start a pissing match over who likes what starting area the most. I've witnessed a few people over the years say poo poo like "I made a man hunter and quit @ lvl 18 cause this game is just a generic wow clone". I'm terrified of people having that impression, because Breeland *is* incredibly generic compared to the other starting areas. I strongly agree that rolling a Hobbit is a great introduction.

Wait, what kind of monstrous philistine doesn't love Ered Luin?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
And I completely disagree with everything you just said. I think the Elven part is downright beautiful, and the northern area is perfectly Dwarven. That middle Goblin area is fun and challenging if you run it at an appropriately low level.

Next up: Angmar Vs Forochel - Boring arctic slog or Mordor North?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Then you'll probably enjoy this game just fine. Just remember:

1) You don't have to spend a dime until at least 33-35.
2) Always ere on the side of concentrating on the epic quest line, at least until you reach Elrond's portion of it at 40+(it goes off the rails a bit).
3) The first real group dungeon experience would be the 3 Barrow Downs instances for 22-25. After that are the Garth Agarwin instances at 33-35.
4) If you do reach level 45, immediately begin the Moria epic, which will get you your first Legendary Weapon. There's a Prologue where you see off the Fellowship from Rivendell, and then go to a Dwarf in Eregion. Don't skip the prologue on your first toon.
5) Bookmark https://www.lotro-wiki.com.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

ukrainius maximus posted:

That actually tickles my fancy. I really like LOTRO but my problem is that every time I play I get caught up wanting to see everything AND wanting to see the current content. I've never successfully made it past Lothlorien because of this. The prospect of old stuff being "current" and being locked to it actually excites me. I will for sure check this out.

This has always been one of my biggest complaints with the vast majority of MMOs. A lot of old school dungeons are really fuckin' great, but you almost always have an hard time finding a group to do it- never mind on-level at that. I hate being pulled through by a high level that just mows everything down for the noobs, especially when I'm trying to get real experience as a tank or healer. This is actually one instance(heh) where WoW actually does poo poo right with it's Dungeon Finder. Even now, old school WoW dungeons pop within minutes- even late at night- if you're trying to level there.

I've played on a few different high-quality private WoW servers, and I always thought the best private server for LotRO would be a level 65 Enedwaith server. Imagine if both the Mirkwood & Ost Dunhoth raid clusters were end game at the same time, while the Moria dungeons would still be a little bit challenging and fun. You could run a different raid instance every night for months and not get bored with it. And now SSG could possibly do it at some point? :circlefap:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

puberty worked me over posted:

...does anyone happen to know if there's now enough dungeon/instanced/scripted content to level up purely on?
No. There's too many level gaps between dungeons, and it can be really tough to get anything going for anything other than the newer content.

For instance, I have a 67 Dwarf Guardian who's gimmick is that he just does Dwarven stuff + Epics. He still has quests for some of the Moria dungeons(some of the best content in the game) + related deeds. He's permanently parked and largely abandoned in the 21st Hall because it's basically impossible to get groups for the 54-65 level Moria/Lothlorien instances more than once in a blue moon. Plus, I hardly ever even play LotRO much anymore. :iiam:

Like is there a dungeon finder and can you easily be teleported to the content?
They did make an Instance Finder type thing, but this game's player base is too stubborn/stupid/whatever to actually use it reliably like WoW's players do. Everyone forms their groups in /World, and then they launch the dungeon. As I said upthread, I'm a huge fan of WoW's Dungeon Finder and I really wish that Lotro's players would actually use the loving thing in the same way.

LoTRO is an extremely rich game in terms of scripted content and environment design but all of the idiot stuff you have to do between those bits is tedious at best.
Different strokes and all that, but it sounds like you're looking for another game. The immersive, overland questing and stories are LotRO's main selling points.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Givin posted:

Rune Keeper is the most miserable new player experience I have ever went through and I played launch EQ. Hitting mobs with my rocks does more damage than any of my spells.

You might be doing something wrong then. Carefully consider your rotation and your gear. You need to make sure that you're not pulling too many mobs, and that you're eating Moral & Power regenerating food before fights. RK is a squishy class, but they put out a ton of damage.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Squishy classes are bad for soloing as you have to pay attention to things.

I couldn't disagree more. Squishy classes can solo landscape content just fine. Paying attention to things is a core component of not sucking at video games.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Now there's something we agree on! That bleating wail they emit when they die always males me feel so loving guilty. No other game I've ever played guilt trips you like that.

bagrada posted:

Just curious what do you vets do with all the task items that fill up your bags, on the legendary server? I'm annoying myself by sitting on them all aside from turning in my 5 tasks a day, which means I get to juggle inventory way too much. Vendor, bank, auction house?

Most of those rep factions can be taken care of by basic deeds, so don't bother saving task items unless you're having trouble trying to close the gap with Kindred.

The Eglain are an early exception to this- do whatever you can to earn rep with them. They have a series of crafting dailies that require a number of things you make at Expert tier, so you can kill two birds with one stone there.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Givin posted:

Do you dudes finish a zones deeds before you move on to the next area or come back later and finish them up? Trying to decide if I should focus on leveling first them come back and pillage since I want to level up multiple characters.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I'll finish the questing ones, but I don't go out of my way for the slayer or exploration stuff unless I'm really close to finishing one. Those ones are way quicker to do once you're a higher level and aren't constantly aggroing everything.
^^
What he said. Just worry about the questing ones as you level through a zone and come back for the others later. Just remember that it never hurts to keep your eye on the deed log while you play.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Helm's Deep is by far the worst expansion. And don't even get me started on Epic Battles. God those suck.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You'll want to see Dol Guldor at the very least. It's a very atmospheric Tolkien landmark.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Kaysette posted:

Given the glowing reviews ITT of the rest of Rohan, is there much of a downside to popping my Aria of the Valar then knocking out all the gray epic quests? I got Mordor in the last sale and I don’t plan on playing alts on the regular server. I just want to play through the main plot for my Tolkien fix but I don’t want to screw myself out of cool setpieces and epic content by using the item.

Always do the epic.

Cnidario posted:

“Years”

I’ve been under the impression that, once East Rohan released, Turbine just dialed it in for LOTRO and spent most of their resources on the stupid MOBA that ended up failing (I’m pretty sure that was a thing, right?). From the repetitive nature of the questing and environment to things like not really fixing mounted combat and stupid long grinds like Hytbold.
Yeah, this is completely accurate. Coincidentally, I've been logging on for the last few nights, and the character I'm concentrating on just started in Western Rohan - pretty much the worst content in the entire game. I must really want those extra trait points.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
There are sites like https://cosmeticlotro.com/, but I don't know if that'll be helpful to you.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Champion is perfectly fine for soloing any normal game content. It isn't a squishy class by any means. Like most MMOs that have been around for a while, all of the landscape content has been made easier and easier with each passing year. Don't worry about whether or not you can handle it on a given class- You can solo landscape content with anything. If you insist on only doing orange and red quests, sure, then you'll want to roll Guardian or Warden.

Warden, Rune Keeper & Beorning are P2P, so don't bother with those unless you're not liking the default classes.

You won't get a "true" feel for a class's playstyle until 20 or so. Give it a few more levels, to be sure. It never hurts to roll a few different classes to find out what you like most. Most MMOs bring something new to class design, even if you think you've seen it all before.

My Hunter is currently having a great time kicking rear end in Mordor.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

lol if you posted:

just got a reminder email that my 3 month sub i bought for the legendary server runs out on Feb. 8

it's been fun and i got a champ to 50 but i'm not going to re-up. if i get the itch again there's still f2p out there.

i wonder if there will be a drop in player counts for legendary after this weekend. i know lifers are, well, for life but i have to imagine there are at least some other folks like me who will probably let their sub run out

If you've never played on the regular servers, make sure to roll a toon(or 12) on Landroval before your sub expires. Any character made during your sub time will have a ton of extremely valuable perks permanently unlocked for them.

If you do have toons on the regular servers, forget everything I just said.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You should largely disregard Sassassin's opinion, but there are a few kernals of truth to what they're saying. It's perfectly fine to delay the epics by 5-10 levels if you're worried about tough mobs or whatever, but you still want to do them, especially on your first character. Yes, the constant back & forth between Rivendell and Forochel sucks, but you can easily do other content for a bit when that gets on your nerves. Session play completely sucks, and I resent every time I have to "play" a character with weird rear end skills that isn't the character I rolled. And keep in mind that the only epics most people complain about are the 40-50 ones, and then Nona & Horn.

Nona & Horn have a bad story that doesn't add anything, but that's really far from true about the other epics. The epics involving the rangers are super relevant, and actually good. One of the rangers has a full story arc that straight up hit me in the feels at its ultimate conclusion at the Fields of Pelennor. There's another early epic that tells a good story, and even has an appearance by Sauron pretending to be an elf. Moria & Mirkwood's has an orc that's seriously a great npc.

The epics have a number of solo instances that show you some really cool locations you wouldn't otherwise visit, including fighting some monsters, etc that you don't encounter in ordinary landscape content. Virtually no one is playing this game just for it's awesome end game raiding scene. You're probably here because you're a Tolkien fan that wants to be a pointy-eared/furry-footed/bearded midget murder hobo that actually reads the quest text before you run off to kill orcs. The epics actually have some good context as to why you're killing those orcs.

Regardless of how you feel about the epics in general, at 45 you'll want to immediately start the Moria epic to get your first Legendary weapon. If you're a weirdo like me that actually likes story poo poo, you'll want to first go talk to Elrond so you can see the Fellowship off on their epic journey.

I like Angmar, but a lot of other people hate it. If you like spending forever to travel through snowy arctic poo poo that all looks the same, sure go Forochel. Trollshaws is the 2nd prettiest area in the game(after Lothlorien ofc), but it's easy to get lost there and still a little weak on content even after its big revamp. Misty Mountains ends with the iconic Goblin Town, so its worth it. Eregion is really good, but you may need something to bridge the gap between it and Evendim.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

Also I'm glad you post your insights but I still think you just get bored quickly because you played a game called The Lord Of The Rings Online and skipped Minas Tirith and a lot of other core poo poo.

...Like not doing the epic.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Pugzilla posted:

If anyone knows of a grind spot/s where I can go from 77 to 81 I'd be very happy to know where. Does not matter where, I can travel!

Why specifically 81?

Your only real options are:

1 - Milk blue & green quests in Great River 70-75. It's one of the most popular zones.
2 - Riders of Rohan xpac 75 - 85
3 - Sassassin's favorite option, running the epic, which is free until Helm's Deep @ 85-95

You can also get a lot of mileage out of running skirmishes.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Yes, this game had a 2-3 day(if not longer) downtime a few years ago.

I suspect that some of their server hardware poo poo the bed and they're going to replace it.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I seem to remember them giving out 100LP or so the last time they had an epic meltdown like this.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You've gotta be kidding me... The quest for that axe from Thorog has been in my main's quest log for years. I always thought it was just a random drop/roll item like you did. I've only even run Helegrod a couple of times since they split it up into distinct wings(ran it a few before the split as well). Thorog was a tough customer back in the day. I suspected I'd never get it, but left the quest active due to being a completionist masochist.

I hear that the axe triggers a cutscene, confirm/deny?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
So I just logged in to claim my Anniversary schwag. I received a gift box, fireworks, but no 9 Year portrait frame(which I'm definitely eligible for). Is the frame only given to subscribers now, or did they just stop making them? Also, it looks like there's no Year 12 anniversary quests under the Party Tree that send you all over. Am I missing something?

[edit] Just figured it out! You have to actually open the box to get the frame. :classiclol:

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 28, 2019

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Ort posted:

Is playing a damage focused minstrel a painful slog? This game looks fun but none of the class archetypes really jive with me on paper.

A dps Mini is the exact opposite of a painful slog. They do high burst dps while rocking the gently caress out on a lute, bagpipe, drum, etc.

Roll a few different classes to see if any one in particular catches you. Level 20 usually gives you a good indication about what a class plays like long term.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 15, 2019

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

I was cleaning out one of my drawers, and found a sealed copy of LotRO: Mines of Moria. Never had any interest in the game, and it was back when the game actually cost money to buy and play. Still had a reg code. I have no idea if those old codes still work to get you time-limited horse armor or anything, so I thought I'd just drop it here in case it does:
YXMRMQ4FXRNZK9NEPKPW2KE3P

Good on you for handing out the code! I've already paid for/used that specific release, so it doesn't apply to me. Here's to hoping a dedicated newbie gets it. :cheers:

The box may actually be worth something to someone somewhere. Check eBay, etc.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It's completely viable to play F2P until 32 or so. Someone else can fill you in on the current best purchase options from there.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
SSG is only using Daybreak as a publisher, so nothing at all is likely to change for them. It's the other subsidiaries & games that may face some changes. It sounds to me like the rest of Daybreak is being restructured to operate more like SSG does.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Level to at least 32ish before you buy anything. If you're sure that you like the game, pay for one month to permanently unlock a huge amount of stuff for every single character that you log into for that entire month. From the store itself, the Barter Wallet has always been at the top of the list, and probably some other stuff too that I'm forgetting right off hand.

All zones are free until the end of April, so you don't have to worry about any of those purchases atm.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

Someone told me the riding skill is still locked out from the free status right now, so I'd probably look for that so you can ride around on a pony a bit quicker. I want to say it used to be 90 or 100 points, you could probably earn that by the mid level 20s.

Still the best group buffers, arguably second best tanks, and pretty average DPSers in the end game. Of the 3 classes you mentioned, captain would be the first one to get a raid invite.

I haven't seriously played for 13 months, so I'm out of the loop. Please tell me that Guardians are in their rightful place as the #1 tanking class and not Wardens.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
My dream was always to have a level 65 server that included Mirkwood and Enedwaith. I love the Dol Guldor raids, and even though I hate Enedwaith as a zone, I think it's raid cluster was really good. Plus, if max level was 65, that would still make the Moria raids somewhat worth helping out with.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

Volume 2 book 1 is what you're referring to with the moria intro?

Also, LIs? Legendary item?

Real Tolkien nerds do Volume 2: Prelude with Elrond* first. :colbert:

*Turns out it's race based: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Vol._II._Prologue_Quests

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 3, 2020

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Decisions like that still belong to Tolkien Estate and not SSG, so it's a moot point.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Derpies posted:

I'm kind of a derp, is this game for me ???

You can grow hops, brew beer with it, and actually get drunk as poo poo. You can then stumble around Bree, find a live musical performance by a band of actual players, and then proceed to make an rear end out of yourself in front of 100 people. What the hell are you waiting for?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

Yeah this seems to be the case for Landroval, which is honestly pretty refreshing coming from other MMOs and online games in general.

It's the big secret of RP servers. The vast majority of toxic troll types avoid RP servers because there's a perception that they're "gay" and less hardcore.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Candrr posted:

How is the guild pop. and the game pop. I am thinking about jumping in, I am bored of the other mmos I play, and I am a huge Lotr fan. Just wondering if I am gonna have any Goons to play with.

Lord of the Rings is up there with Star Wars, Star Trek, and Harry Potter as one of the biggest, most popular IPs of all time. You will never have to realistically worry if the game is healthy enough to stay alive. If you love LotR, than you will love playing this.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

HPanda posted:

Are the quest packs the same as buying the expansions? Or is buying the expansion a separate thing that comes with other stuff?

When you see a choice between a Quest Pack and an Expansion, always get the expansion. They usually contain some extra stuff like instances, etc.

I can't believe that SSG may finally be seeing the light wrt their Xpac pricing scheme. Its been the biggest complaint about LotRO for years now. WoW gives away all old content for free with a sub or Xpac purchase, yet SSG(and ye olde Turbine) nickel and dime your rear end for every step you take through Middle Earth.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I would like to have seen The Rift at its original difficulty level.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I don't really see how they could. The series takes place a few thousand years before LotR, does it not?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Lum_ posted:

Large Crafting Carryall (bound to account) 1995 LP
(yes, it's expensive but it gives you 50 more inventory slots for crafting mats and you can swap it between characters)

Oh gently caress yes. I haven't played in a few years, but I've been thinking about coming back for a while now. I might have to grab that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Lum_ posted:

Epic Quest Vol. II, Book 1, Chapter 1: Strangers in Hollin

it's given by the dwarf at the door to moria in eregion, kind of hard to miss

There's a prologue quest even before that where you help the Fellowship set off from Rivendell.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Vol._II._Prologue_Quests