Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hey, what's the best line to spec for guardian leveling? Guardians apparently don't get their first self-heal until 30, so I've been running Yellow line (since it gives your attacks against marked targets a 10% chance to heal 5% of your Morale.) I'm wondering if going blue or red might be better.

When I last played there was nothing faster at Guardian levelling than a yellow-line light-damage mark-spreader with a two-hander, which spits out more damage the more enemies you are facing. Red line is bleed which is damage over time you don't need to waste, blue is needless survivability. Healing is largely irrelevant when going through low level content in real armour (wardens can gently caress off).

My job finishes for good around xmas so I might start playing this for the second "final ever time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The cosmetic weapon stuff sounds great. I used to use a light shield on my warden because all the warden shields looked like poo poo. Why did it take them so long to implement it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How big is the full updated install folder now?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The steam download comes to 20.3. Was worried patching was going to bloat it massively. Space on the SSD is in short supply.

Maybe it's up to date doesn't need much patching.

edit: It took very little patching, I started it up, got confused, and shut it down again.

My super fancy legendaries have some garbage legacies now. I know I wouldn't have put "Sting critical rating" on anything.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 6, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there any reason to keep old legendaries around? I upgraded my sword and I'm thinking it's probably best just to scrap it.

To the literal amazement of the man who designed the system, yes, it is always best to scrap them once you've outlevelled them even a little bit, to use a legacy/xp etc. on a newer, shinier model.

Unless they changed it recently.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Swtor has a better story because you're never made to wash dishes as part of the essential quest line.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hammerstein posted:

There are a few noteworthy highlights, but this is how 90% of the Swtor quests play out.

When was the last time you played swtor? The 'kill x things' quests tend to be bonuses you can ignore on the way to clicking on 3 consoles surrounded by those things.

Murder is rarely necessary, just borderline unavoidable.

Lotro on the other hand will make you kill innocent deer before you can save Helm's Deep.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Always deconstruct legendaries and upgrade to newer ones.

The system works exactly the opposite of how you'd expect it to.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Seems like a good time to set off some fireworks.

/danceongrave

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I always found hunter less laid back. You have a finite amount of time where your best moves can be used, and if an enemy actually reaches you you're in some trouble.

By contrast a guardian gets good when the enemy and his ten friends reach you. It's time to relax while for a hunter it's time to panic.

See enemy - Stop - Focus - Fire - Repeat gets tedious, too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's only the first one that's garbage solo and impossible to do anything worthwhile without having some skill points.

And the caves.

The others are fine solo. You can get golds & plats in many objectives without much fuss.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I didn't play the pelargir ones but gold & plat on half of the helm's deep quests don't need anything resembling combat ability to achieve.

The biggest obstacle to a new player is helm's dike which can fail completely if the wrong sidequest comes up and you have no points to manage it. Beat that and the next two are easy to rack up promotion points on.

For example, the shaman one on the wall only needs your character to have access to a taunt. Easy plat.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can't transfer my guys lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I tried to play this game again but the ui scales up terribly on my super-wide screen and I had to click on the top of buttons to make them work.Also loading screens make a loud whining sound for some reason.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jack's Flow posted:

How often do Turbine points go on sale? Should I grab some now, even though I don't need them? Do you high level guys use them often?

Rule number one: Buy what you need only when you need it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
This game is dead pretty when you turn all the graphics up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, I did mean Enedwaith. Just wondering if there was a "gotcha" area I should avoid (kind of like Hytboldt). I'm consistently about 5 levels over the recommended level for the content anyway (thanks Moria!) plus being a man-bear-pig means most things are easy.

(plus as a man-bear I can just make honey cakes while NPCs drone on at each other during quests.)

You should be 3/4/5 levels below content for optimal fun. More if you ever team up with a friend and/or random.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ignore the epics they're shite.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lars posted:

I'm playing on Osrandir - just made it to level 51. I'm a filthy euro spy, so I'm on at weird times.

Ooh ooh - btw - The riding traits are on sale atm. Is the only way (besides scrolls) to go faster than 68% to invest in the 78% journeman riding for 2k+ tp?

You'll get a warhorse eventually and they go fast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jack's Flow posted:

I am only about to hit the 50s, but does anyone have a good & thorough guide on Legendary items he could point me to? I have to admit that everything beyond re-forging items seems a little overwhelming right now.

Get a new one every few levels and upgrade the damage first. Nothing else matters while leveling, really.

There's no point building a decent weapon until cap, by which point you'll probably have it figured out.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

"The film and merchandise rights for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were sold by J.R.R. Tolkien in 1969, and are currently owned by Middle-earth Enterprises (formerly Tolkien Enterprises), a company that was controlled by Saul Zaentz."

The weird thing about this is I would think Christopher Tolkien would be constantly trying to score a big sale on The Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin, or any other text before he dies. And yet it seems like all contracts ever involve the Saul Zaentz Tolkien Estate, with Christopher just doing interviews saying that the thing sucks and they should give him some more money for his approval. Either the demand for merch for The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin isn't there, or for whatever reason Christopher does not have the rights or ability to license it.

Christopher Tolkien isn't interested in making money selling out his father's legacy. The Tolkien Estate absolutely controls the rights to the non-Lotr & Hobbit properties (texts edited and published by Christopher).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Peter Jackson rewrote LotR start to finish (and The Hobbit only slightly less so), so that's not a stumbling block tbh.

Hollywood trips over itself for any brand recognition it can make "inspired by" stories from.

Christopher Tolkien has no interest in "a big payday before he dies" that would see the works he has control over twisted into another action movie/videogame glorifying war and violence.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've never understood why the development team all use stupid nicknames.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ruffz posted:

I had no idea what kind of difference it would make to upgrade my monitor from an old 1920x1200 to a 2560x1440. LOTRO is gorgeous in 2k resolution.

MMOs are way nicer to play with a super wide view.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I bought witcher 3 and it just made me want to play this dumb bad game again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I still think that Hobbits asking you to do dumb poo poo, is a high point for the game. It's just so pointless and silly. I love hobbit quests. That said Evendim is a great region.

Hobbits suck, the shire is poo poo. Walk through it once on the way to Bree and never look back.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alter Ego posted:

I haven't played this in over a year...is it worth coming back? The idea of Gondor and Minas Tirith sounds awesome and I'd like to see how the epic story plays now. I stopped playing just after Warsteed combat became a thing, if that helps.

The Epic story dives off a cliff after Warsteed combat starts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

100YrsofAttitude posted:

From the frontpage.

CTS makes me laugh. I don't recognize most of these unfortunately. Probably from classes I haven't played.

At least one of the icons I remember was a very low rez photo of a Games Workshop miniature.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Trebuchet King posted:

Warden question--playing an elf, trying to get my momentum back up in Rise of Isengard. Do I want a sword or spear for my mainhand LI?

Always sword.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
So the 'we've been "acquired" by a new company we set up' email means this game is about to die, right?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

I vaguely remember playing LoTRO with you when you were a cool poster, and now the only memory I have of that name is that for three years now you post in this thread like a dude who breaks up with a girl, but then still feels incomplete and has to message her what new thing you're doing every month

She emailed me first, man. What am I supposed to think?

Brave New World posted:

Actually, it feels like everything is quite stable atm. The full blown Morder ~EXPANSION~ will be coming out in the second half of the year, and there's even talk of new character models!

I've never had a problem with the character models. It's the UI that's intolerable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't care about these stupid hobbits and their stupid hobbit problems.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ered Luin is the superior starting zone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That's going to piss off a lot of people who already thought they were playing Noldor.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When you can make dark-haired & pale Elves from Rivendell who are trained by Elrond and can fight by spreading obscene amounts of light damage is there really a need for "high" elves (what is this, warhammer fantasy?)?

?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Evil Fluffy posted:

Give us Hobbit Captains, SSG, Frodo demands proper recognition for his role. :colbert:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Bramble posted:

I play a warden in the mid-levels (47 right now) and one thing I've learned is that a warden will take just as long to kill one enemy as they do to kill 5 enemies.

Yellow guardian is/was the same.

Slow and steady genocides the base.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Bramble posted:

That's definitely still the case. Almost feels like a waste of time to be fighting only one enemy at a time.

Why I hated Hunter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gammon posted:

Uh, so I just rolled a character on Arkenstone because that's where all the moon people (aka fellow Australians) are. I've got one RL friend who plays the game but uh, is it just me or is the world mostly empty of like, everything? Admittedly I have only reached level 7 thus far, but the way the intro quests have been laid out I hope is not really an indicator for the rest of the game because there was more running from point A to point B than anything else. I can see the bones of something fun in here - DDO is one of my all-time favourite games, the similarities are obvious and frequent - but ehhh, at this point it's a good thing it's free to try it out. So, please, tell me it gets better or something, and that the intro experience is just very dated at this point!

Also, rolled up a guardian because I like not dying, but I really don't see how Sam Gamgee is the inspiration for the class. A whole world full of dwarves in actual heavy armour, and you pick the fat hobbit who never held a weapon in his life before trailing after Frodo like a puppy for inspiration? I digress, how capable are guardians and captains compared to each other, how easy is it for them to get groups and solo? I know there's likely to only be one real tank in a group, are both classes equivalent in a dps role?

He said "gardener", not guardian.

Also this:

jabro posted:

lol you guys still haven't started a new guild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bombhand posted:

Guardian is the only tank-tank class, and while you can wring middling DPS out of them, it's at the expense of their tanking ability. You shouldn't roll a guard unless you like tanking and want to be the tank in group content. I love my guard, but I don't think there's any class that offers less DPS. Captain is a hybrid healer/tank class, with its real strength in buffs, so it's useful in large group content. If you want DPS with some tanking ability, champion is a good bet.

Last I played, two-hander yellow guard melted groups roughly ten times as fast as any hunter due to all the reflecting light damage.