Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I am getting frustrated with the end game of one of my other MMOs of choice, and I think it's about to run its course in a few weeks. I've played lotro before but it has been a long time since I've played it. Probably at least three or four years. What is the content like at the very top of this game? What's the leveling pace? How hard is it to get into the game and to the higher end content? How challenging are the mechanics at the top?

I saw the brief class writeup on the prior page, and I was wondering if any of the classes are especially maligned or considered gimp? Whether numerically bad or not, just things that are like 'hey if you pick this, good luck getting groups'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I love me some Tolkien lore and the setting, but I also appreciate the top end of a game. I think both are really important for the health of an MMO, and the lore/setting is pretty much the main reason I've bothered playing the other one for over a decade. I usually have a 'chill' character that explores all the lore bits and stuff and then a character I push to the top to play that content.

e: Basically I'm asking about the gameplay elements because I already know I'll enjoy the story elements.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 19, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

xZAOx posted:

Words about end-game.

See, that doesn't sound that bad, since you can realistically do the things over time in game with mostly guaranteed places to get them from. I'm okay with that as long as I know I can run something and generally expect something out of it.

I'm coming from EQ2 where you can't compete at cap without waiting 90 days from the day you hit 100 (and you need to log in every day), and without spending an extra $15 a month to sub 2 accounts, or without spending hundreds of hours grinding extra exp at cap for permanent stat gains and 1/6000 chance drops (that might not be for your class) for items that inflate your damage by 50-100%.

I'm not going to continue into a giant wall of some weird inverse dick size comparing about how bad our games do stuff at the top end, but LOTRO sounds palatable at the top, and even if it isn't, there's like, ten years of content and story I've never seen so I can get a poo poo ton out of it no matter what. Plus I can always just make a healer and probably schlep along in worse gear by just being good!

Now, how do I choose between Rune Keeper and Minstrel...

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I am going to do that level 15 thing. There's a sale going on for classes and I have a decent TP stockpile anyway, so I might as well pick some up!

Minstrel is fun so far, running around yelling at things and doing surprising amounts of damage.

I also saw on this page that Wardens are complex. What makes them complex? Is it obnoxious complex or interesting and nuanced complex?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

flowinprose posted:

Basically you need to commit this chart to muscle memory to play one optimally:

That sounds fun, actually. I like things like that. I think I'll just buy Warden too. I also transferred my characters from the shut down servers over too, and apparently I had a 21 captain! Woo.

So, the game feels overall a LOT better than when I played it last. One of my biggest gripes back near release was that combat felt really... sticky and unresponsive? Like, that was me coming off of WoW which is known for responsiveness of buttons. Things feel a lot more responsive than they used to. Did they change something, or did my perception maybe change after all this time? There's a few other control things that just feel better than I remember, but I can't really pin it down. It feels overall nicer to play.

e: How often do the Quad Packs go on sale?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 20, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

do people still do ettenmoors and monster play? that is one extremely fond memory i had from playing this game way back when.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I picked up warden and runekeeper and I see warden has a ranged dps tree. do people actually, like, played them as ranged dps or is that one of those weird non-choice pubbie traps? I can see the value in running around with it for solo leveling, but that sounds really goofy otherwise. :v:

RK seems okay so far and I like the idea that I could play either healer or DPS and nobody would care either way, where I know I'm going to get pigeonholed into healing on Minstrel (which isn't necessarily bad). But I don't know if I like all of the inductions needed.

The visual feel of Wardens is cool. I like running around with a spear and javelin strapped to my back. I made mine a hobbit. :3:

e: if you dont choose the Plumed Hat whenever you make a new character, regardless of your armor type, you are a bad person

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 21, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Been playing with my Warden some more, and jesus the amount of back and forth running in the shire is ridiculous. I don't ever want to touch this starting zone again. I ended up just gunning it through the prologue story and getting to Bree. :smith:

Is there a point where wardens get faster at killing things? honestly I am feeling a bit spoiled by my Minstrel at this point. Gambits are cool but things are just kind of glacial. I am in the red tree, too.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

extra stout posted:

Final option: Roll a 105 champ and spend months getting perfect gear on it, go two hander berserk mode.

thanks i'll just buy a level 95 and do this!

Joking aside, is there some story behind this since you mention it?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Hell, it's going to get $15 out of me and I play basically a few hours every couple days.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I randomly clicked on the thread again because hey I liked lotro before. Legendary servers sound neat. How's the game health these days? Sometimes I consider coming back because heck I just love me some lotr.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'm actually just playing regular servers, the legendary server into game health comment was just kind of a weird non sequitur. I meant overall. Anyway I'm in discord playing casually while trying to decide what class to pick this time around.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

God this game is so unstable. The Steam download wouldn't even start without manually downloading the 2005 and 2010 VC++ packages, and then the game wouldn't even launch on the 64-bit client. On the 32-bit client it works fine except every time you transition between areas (like entering or leaving a building or fast travel or stable rides) it has like a 80% chance of hard crashing.

The new area looks beautiful and the writing seems as good as it has been before, with lots of neat little touches like the NPCs popping up in every town you travel through with unique dialogue, so I'll tough through this, but man is it annoying to have to relaunch like 4 times an hour.

did you possibly allow it to install into c:\program files (x86)? that causes a number of problems with both LOTRO and DDO. i've made the mistake a few times in recent years and it always caused me big problems, but it runs fine anywhere else on my PC.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

Can I just drag the game folder somewhere else or do I need to redownload the whole thing somewhere else?

i actually don't know this. you can try it, can't hurt to attempt. but yeah, that's probably the source of your woes if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

ILL Machina posted:

I had to drop the steam version when I reinstalled in my new machine. Similar crashing. No problems now. Also, yeah, custom location helps for some reason.

so regarding the custom location, what i've been told by friends is that on the c:\ drive, windows sometimes has difficulty with permissions in the program files (x86) folder, especially with older games, and that will just sometimes break them.

i've encountered this numerous times myself with older software (i play a lot of older PC games) and each time it has come up i realized installed it there by accident and moving it out miraculously fixed every issue with the game.

this is also how you solve the fun problem where DDO and LOTRO can just never fully install/update if you try to install them there.