Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

lol if you posted:

definitely keep re-queueing. whatever they are using (i'd guess some home-roll on top of RabbitMQ) is completely overwhelmed and isn't processing internal queue movements correctly

if you get a number over 200 just try again. i've seen up around 3380 at some points.

I tried like 4 times, and got in immediately on the 4th try. The queue is doing weird things, and it's much easier to make it in if you just keep quitting/relaunching until it pops you right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Fried Sushi posted:

Wonder if Shadowfax means you can level just doing the main story, would still take 3 months with 2 months of that being traveling from quest giver to quest giver but still would be pretty cool to just be able to do the Epic quests.

This is genuinely all I want. If that proves to be true I'll give them a sub.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I haven't played since Isengard. If I were to come back and pay for VIP, I'd still have to pay for the two latest expansions (Gundabad and Shadow), right?

Expansions that you still have to purchase are here (everything else is folded into VIP, I think):
https://www.lotro.com/expansions#PreviousExpansions
  • Mordor
  • Minas Morgul
  • War of Three Peaks
  • Fate of Gundabad
  • Before the Shadow

Pryce
May 21, 2011

OhFunny posted:

While they can still be purchased. Mordor, Minas Morgul, and War of Three Peaks come with VIP now.

Oh god I'm so angry that I fell for the Black Friday sales now.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I finally made it to Moria for the first time. My jaw dropped at how beautiful it is. And like every game’s first expansion, the quests suddenly get much better and more logically structured.

I’ve been told you get sick of Moria’s interiors pretty quickly but leveling is much faster these days so I don’t think it’ll outstay its welcome.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Kaysette posted:

i don't remember much about evendim but meeting my first ent was pretty neat

hooooooooooom

Pryce
May 21, 2011

unimportantguy posted:

I seem to remember, years ago, some goon saying that there was a point to drop the Volume I epic quests and just go on to Moria. What point is that? I'm on book 7 right now and level 47, bopping back and forth between Forochel for general questing and Angmar for the epic.

I think the 'advice' is usually that as soon as you hit 45 you should go to Eregion and start the Moria questline in order to get your first Legendary Item. I just waited till I finished the first half of Vol 1 to move on but you technically 'unlock' Moria's storyline right at 45.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cutedge posted:

I really, really liked Mirkwood. Something about it just worked for me.

I finally made it through Rohan I think but it's hard to tell because it just kind of flows into Helms Deep.

I just reached the end of Rohan expansion, and it feels like Mirkwood and Rohan is where they finally hit their stride of natural quest progression hubs. Rohan especially they clearly had quest tech for dynamic spawning so they could move NPCs to different locations and update the world without needing instances for everything. The game needed a bit more linearity like this (especially given that the basis of the lore is literally “a group of people follow a path for three books”).

Really enjoying the leveling now, and always excited to see what’s next.

EDIT: So I got up to Helm’s Deep and…huh. This seems like it would be cool with a full raid where everyone is running around triaging what needs the most attention. But when you’re running it solo it’s the most boring and quiet activity. I only did the first Epic Battle and I think I may just skip the rest and do the “story” versions instead. A shame, this was probably cool when it first came out and everyone was queueing for it!

Pryce fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 8, 2023

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Anniversary event has started in-game.

All the older expansions (not Beyond the Shadow) are on sale: https://www.lotro.com/expansions
Lotro Point purchases in the in-game store include 'double bonus points' until April 30th.

Gonna spend a lot of money these next two weeks!

Pryce
May 21, 2011

unimportantguy posted:

Dumb question: if I'm currently VIP until the 27th, can I buy the on-sale expacs for when my sub expires? I know I can't buy quest packs on the LotRO store until my sub expires.

The expansion sales are not in-game, they’re purely for cash money on the website. That weird purchase restriction on quest packs only applies in the in-game store I believe.

I bought all the ones I was missing today as a VIP so can confirm you can do what you’re thinking.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

unimportantguy posted:

Customer Service answered my ticket and got me sorted out on making sure I don't accidentally delete my account but I still can't buy anything on the LOTRO Market. Anybody else done this before and can point out the (probably obvious) thing I'm missing?

“Payment Sources” is a very tiny link in tiny text at the very top of the Expansions shop page when you’re logged in. Like, above the site header. https://www.lotro.com/expansions

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cutedge posted:

The developer put out a modern-game-apology.jpg up on twitter (as one does) and referred to the game as "The Lord of the Ring: Gollum". It's a hilarious typo but also I guess it tells you something about something.

Um excuse me it was "The Lord of Ring: Gollum"

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Do you have a controller plugged in? I’ve had this with other games where the OS somehow gets in a weird state where it gets stuck with some controller input (even with games that don’t support it).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Natsuumi posted:

Where did anyone get today for U37 release? The most I saw from the devs was sometime "this week".

Especially since LOTRO maintenance days are Wednesdays, not Tuesdays :P

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cutedge posted:

https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-37-0-1-release-notes-en

Mostly fixes for a number of things related to stat squish and some balance tweaks (reducing variance between crits and non crits, this is a good change).

I made a post on the forums that I hope they respond to, but as I was leveling in Helms Deep last night (i need to get to 95, i'm 92 now) I realized that Mounted Combat stats are basically messed up right now and it's making fighting enemies take like 10 minutes or more unless you just give up and dismount and swing at them while they ride by.

Wait is that not how it’s always been? I leveled for the first time earlier this year and mounted combat felt like it took forever. Is it even worse now?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Annath posted:

So this game has mods/plugins.

Coming from WoW, mods were, while not mandatory, very very useful for all levels of play, and most guilds required at least some for endgame content.

Are there any mods that would be recommended for a new player starting out?

Generally speaking, know that 'modding' within LotRO is insanely limited. They barely allow any access to the game through LUA, so the vast majority of plugins sit on top of the existing UI rather than replace them outright. The only thing that can be 'replaced' is the UI skin, which is mostly just basic palette swaps with minor flair, not functional layout changes.

A number of plugins are useful specifically because they bring outside text/resources into the game's UI as 'lookup' tools, so you can check where a quest objective is, look up how to make a thing, etc. But if you're coming from WoW, XIV, etc, definitely lower your expectations for what you're gonna see here. Also of note, a lot of plugins haven't been updated for years. Doesn't mean they don't work, just know that the community is relatively small so there are various plugins that may or may not actually function.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

I don’t think so. I’ve bought all the expansions and the only boosts I’ve received were the ones given out for free to everyone at the 15-year anniversary event. It’s possible they’re included in the more expensive collectors edition tier, I only bought the basic editions.

They are indeed in the more expensive packs. For every(?) expansion currently purchaseable on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

whoa they're DOUBLING the amount of hobbies in the game