Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Several years back, before LotRO became FtP, I played the free month and loved the Shire and the dwarven starting zones. I have no idea about my account and if it's still functional and recoverable but before I even try:

How's the game for someone who'd just now started to play and probably played completely solo and never even reached max level? For comparison, I liked it a lot back then, although I wished I didn't outlevel relevant story quests so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Brave New World posted:

The bad news is that if you played on the Codemasters-owned European servers, your *Premium* account would be irretrievable at this point. The EU servers were brought back under Turbine control, and Codemasters customers were given a year or so to personally migrate their accounts over to Turbine's infrastructure. For legal reasons, there's nothing that can be done for anyone that missed that window. :(

Damnit. Although running around Shire is likely still enjoyable, seeing that I recall basically nothing except the pie quest people praised on the previous page. :)

Are people running the below-max-level dungeons (or whatever they're called in LotRO) that require a fellowship or should I just expect to have to read their stories from wiki or something?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

I'm confused by the official page and can't find an answer from wiki either: What exactly IS available free and what is bought? I see surprising stuff like character slots and questlines for sale in addition to stuff I'd expect - expansions and mounts and experience boosts and the like.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

bombhand posted:

Here's a wiki page outlining the difference between account levels: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Types

Here's a wiki page outlining the stuff in the LOTRO Store that is probably not completely up-to-date but does seem to have all the quest packs in there: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store

The starter regions - Ered Luin (dwarves and elves), Bree-land (men), and the Shire (duh) - are free, along with the Lone-lands, which is one of the two areas available for players leveling out of their starter area. As other players have said, the Lone-lands will get you to your early 30's, and if you've been completing your deeds along the way and also take some time to complete a few of the easy deeds in the other starter areas, you can expect to have enough Turbine Points to purchase Evendim or the Trollshaws (I recommend Evendim if you haven't played either before, although Trollshaws is a lot better than it used to be), which will get you to your 40's. At that point you will have experienced enough of the game to decide if you want to stick with it, if it's worth spending some money, if it's worth grinding more TP to purchase more content, or so on.

It is possible to be truly free-to-play. It requires a high tolerance for grinding, especially at first. I find that earning turbine points comes a lot easier as it goes on because you gain access to more point-earning options as you unlock more content. If you want to be fully free-to-play there are lots of tips as to how your TP are best spent to improve your grinding experience and earn you more points more efficiently.

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that but that looks surprisingly decent. Not too expensive, compared to the subscription model.