Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Returning after a 4-year hiatus (although i did log on a few months ago, got overwhelmed, and logged off). Anybody on Brandywine?

E: I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, so forgive me if this is info i could find earlier in the thread.

Cnidario fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Just transferred my all my toons from Brandywine to Landy. Looking forward to shooting the breeze with some goons.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Got the quad pack and Helm's Deep and made the switch to Landroval, so I'm ready to grind 75-100 and, if I'm not burnt out yet, run endgame content with some goons.

First off, recommendations on how to use the 1000 TP I received with Helm's Deep?

Second, who should I contact for the kin invite?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

alucinor posted:

List in OP, plus Blondii. What's your username and what times are you typically on?

Eoannes. My schedule is fairly unpredictable between work and family duties, but I am on anywhere between 7-10 EST on weekdays, and I usually have more time on weekends.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Some of these quests in RoR are amazing - and downright hilarious. The way the quest chain with the "glowers" ends had me laughing harder than I have in a game in a while.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Thespis posted:

So...has anyone actually been able to get some playtime in today? These servers are rubberbanding me like crazy.

-Eckerd

drat, it's still bad? I logged in a couple times last night but then couldn't get in any time after 7 or so. I'm going to try again when I get home from work in a few hours.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

As said earlier, the isolation you feel in zones like Evendim, North Downs, LL, and Trollshaws is what makes such a peculiarly satisfying ambience and game experience. by the time you reach Rivendell or Esteldin there's a relief which is hard to replicate in an MMO. It's what makes this game so great.

Maybe I'm engaging in some chronological snobbery here, but I really don't think southern Eriador and Rohan do a good job of this. I just don't get the same feeling - when you are finished with one town, jump to the next, kill some orcs, help the townspeople, head off for the next town, lather, rinse, repeat.

Question for some of you: I iust hit 83, and I'm finding myself growing pretty tired of Sutcrofts (I'm in Garsfeld ATM). Is there anything compelling in the Sutcrofts quest chain /Hytbold quests, or should I just pick up with the epic quest in Broadacres?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Lars posted:

So, I made it to Moria at 52½ and just "quickly" grinding out the last of the epics in old-land before "heading in". Is there a point to get crafting (I'm a Tinker) up to par with what's going on within Moria? Or should I just go and forget it, and handle it later?
I figured I could start the Bingo Boffin chain and just spend a bit of time getting some mats along his way with not a lot of downtime.

Auction hall is your friend, Or the kinship can send you some mats along.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

So I've been doing the Kingstead quests on my 86 red line Mini and I keep dying. My gear is mostly l 85 hear that you get from the Edoras quests with the exception of one or two items which I got from East Rohan l 85 quests. Quest Mobs are routinely hitting for 1-2k morale, and quest bosses are hitting for 2-4k each hit. I got lucky with one or two of them with the piercing cry crit, and that's the only way I've been able to beat quest bosses. Considering my morale pool is already low (something like 7 or 8k) is there something I'm missing here? I've switched some of my virtues to the mitigation-oriented ones, but that has had relatively little effect.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Thespis posted:

It feels like every time I go on and play I'm the only person online. :( It's already lonely enough in the Mines of Moria...

It's making me want to play less, sadly. What do we have to do to make the guild a little livelier?

It's hit or miss. Sometimes I'm the only one on, sometimes there are 3 other people on. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done to remedy the situation, considering the wide disparity between goon levels within the kinship and the times at which people are logging on. I log pretty weird times due to family and work/coaching obligations, and I know others have similar limitations.

My previous kinship had the same problem; activity gradually dwindled down over the course of Mirkwood and RoI. I ended up taking a hiatus after a while and when I came back a few years later there had only been one person on in the last month or so. I'd hate to see it happen to this kin, but it's really been anything but lively in terms of goon activity. I think everybody was hoping for some sort of Nazgun/LOTRO goon Renaissance when server transfers went down, but that didn't happen.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Oh boy here we go

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Seriously, options are:
-Start doing it yourself (not you directly, just to someone who would complain), or shut up
-Go to a more active Kin that fits what you're looking for
-Accept that it is what it is and enjoy collecting some bear asses in silence

Can't agree more. None of us left in the game have the desire to lead the kin or accept the onerous responsibilities that come with it, so replacing the kin leader would be purely cosmetic/more of the same. Also, nobody except for Dunk logs in on a consistent basis (to the best of my knowledge - I could be wrong), and no semblance of being busy running content in groups is going to change that.

I try to stay out of inveterate goon infighting, but I felt like I'd offer my two cents since I really like this game and the goons who play it.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Those of you who have leveled alts recently: how much has SoA content changed since 2010? Does it still retain the magic that made vanilla LOTRO so compelling? Are there many people in the Kin leveling through old content?

The reason I ask is that I keep getting drawn back into the game, but I end up getting bored or frustrated with the questing content. It feels like I'm doing the same quest over and over again in RoR/HD and I'm wondering if I should just sate my nostalgia by leveling an alt. I have very limited time (being a father, teacher, and coach year round), so I'm trying to figure out where my time is best spent. I haven't gotten to Gondor yet, which is the only thing keeping me in late game.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll probably try to get my foot in the door in Gondor and see how it goes and then get back into the early game. Man, thinking about those early game experiences is getting the nostalgia flowing.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Finished the slog through West Rohan. Western Gondor is much, much better.

Can I get some Recommendations for how best to use my TP in Gondor? Should I wait and save up more for Far Anorien, or should I splurge earlier in Central or Eastern Gondor?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Gondor's got a huge swan fetish, huh?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

extra stout posted:

UPDATING OUR DEAD THREAD:

The LoTRO official sponsored stream guys are now allowed to stream the new raid, though he had to run it on ultra low settings because of his computer to run the stream software while in a 12 man. Already forgot the name of it, Throne of The Dead Lord Guy or something, 6 bosses, some of them spooky and stuff.

A change to keep in mind: All the new jewelry drops will now be bound to account, so if you have alts stop deleting the trash ones and mail them to them in two weeks or whatever. Will post more as I learn it. I'm sure the fansites already have a full leak but it's more fun to learn spoilers slowly, live, on ultra low settings.

:toot:

Looking forward to seeing this unfold. The raid may even convince me to keep my turbine points until I get to Far Anorien so I can spam mini heals and be the whipping boy when my raid wipes

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Desmond posted:

Just made a new minstrel, Jaderil.

Let me know if you need anything from a Historian - Eoannes in game.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Question for those of you who played this game during SoA: how central was endgame dungeon running/raiding to the game experience back then?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

So I bought the Mordor quest pack with some of my Lotro points (whatever turbine points are called now), and I’m having a lot of trouble in Udun. I just hit 105 before I arrived, so I didn’t do the flower grind for gear, and incomparable weapons don’t drop from landscape mobs anymore, so my gear is abysmal. I’m guessing the only course of action should be to find fellowships to get through Mordor content? All the guides I’ve seen online were written before the changes made to incomparable drops.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

There's a whole camp in the goblin area with Elite mobs that I literally didn't know about until like 3 months ago!

I did Forochel once, and it was worth it, but can't imagine dragging alts through it. It's just...so...big.

I have very fond memories of Forochel. Drinking White Russians, running all over the place killing mobs with my buddies on Vent. The ambience is what sold me on that zone, though.

At the same time, I don’t think I could ever do it again, either.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Totally on board for the next exhilarating GOON RUSH

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

queeb posted:

gettin in on this on thursday. whats the funnest/most unique class in this game? probably only ever going to play the one. I dont mind tanking if its a tank class.

It’ll be fun to see how Wardens, RKs and Bears play into SoA content. I’ll probably still go for Guardian or Champ or something along those lines since I haven’t tried it out yet

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Prism posted:

So how many people here are going to be on the legendary server? I know I am going to try it (as a Guardian) but I'm kind of curious how many other goons are interested enough to do it. Maybe we should make a legendary kinship.

I’m hoping to roll a character, and would totally be up for a legendary goon kin

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Power surge last night and my computer won’t recognize my HD. Unless I can get LOTRO working on my lovely laptop, I may not be able to join the goon rush. *sigh*

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Finally got my pc working last night, and got a Hobbit Guardian rolling. In as Chlodo. Any updates on the kin status? Have many gone with Extra Stout to Du Bekar?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

puberty worked me over posted:

There is a large issue with the dungeon content balancing on the legendary server.

So the devs did nothing to actually tune the PvE content to its original difficulty so basically you can steamroll all of the dungeons and raids. If you're looking to experience the launch level difficulty or well... any difficulty/challenge for that matter look elsewhere. All of the dungeon content gets easily stomped.

Similar to WoW's leveling dungeons everyone can spam AoE aggro, damage, and heals into a big pile of mobs and they all just die. No need to worry about boss mechanics wiping your group you can just outheal it all. People are 3 manning Rift already.

Not just dungeon content, but mobs in general.

A few weeks before legendary dropped, I began rolling a Hobbit Guardian. Decided to do the same with Anor for comparison’s sake and because I enjoy playing Guardian— same exact difficulty level, exact same amount of time getting through quests the first ten levels.

That being said, I didn’t decide to go legendary because of difficulty, so it’s not a big deal to me

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I’m traipsing around level the Old Forest and Breeland. It’s been, what, 8 years since I last went through this zone, so I’m having a blast

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

After being on Anor for the last month, I logged onto my 107 on Landroval today and Lordy it’s empty. It also doesn’t help that Udun is an irredeemable slog without having picked flowers for months before release

And yes, I know that it supposedly gets worse so I’m just bracing for that

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Kaysette posted:

Hmm Rohan has been cool so far but I'm getting a bit bored of going from mead hall to mead hall with Nona, Horny, and some elf guy. Good thing I hit 80 so I'll only be here (checks wiki) for 15 more levels :cry:

Does West Rohan get better?

If I recall correctly, you are going to need to get your resistances up because the mobs are going to hit a lot harder at first.

West Rohan is definitely a slog, but Gondor is worth it.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

Great River >>> East Rohan > West Rohan

They wasted years making the same content over and over.

“Years”

I’ve been under the impression that, once East Rohan released, Turbine just dialed it in for LOTRO and spent most of their resources on the stupid MOBA that ended up failing (I’m pretty sure that was a thing, right?). From the repetitive nature of the questing and environment to things like not really fixing mounted combat and stupid long grinds like Hytbold.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

How is the crawl from 95 to 105? I'm going to buy Mordor and will in all likelihood use a level skip when I do (to avoid Rohan if nothing else), but it turns out I already own West Gondor so I'm considering using a 95 instead of the 105 item.

I think my highest character got through the paths of the dead when lack of interest in the regions and story killed the game for me. But now Mordor and post-Mordor exist so it's something to aim for.

Do you need to be doing the epic to access quests at that point?

I enjoyed Gondor, but rushed through it to get to Mordor, which I am now regretting. Just make sure that you do the flower picking necessary to get essences where they need to be for Mordor; otherwise, you are going to be in for a serious hurting in Udun

I think there is some content gated behind the epic quest, but I can’t exactly recall because it’s been a year or two

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

Elaborate, please.

Others will do a better job of it than me, as I didn’t spend much time 100-105, but basically you start getting essences in Gondor, and the flower picking quests towards the end (Eastern Gondor, I think?) yield higher quality essences. I went into Mordor with the gear I got as a result of epic quests and free quests and had a lot of trouble because I hadn’t really spent much time messing around with essences and the like since I could just faceroll mobs up until that point

Hope that was helpful. If anyone else has anything more to add, please do

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Fried Sushi posted:

I also went into Mordor on three classes without doing the flower grind, it was rough on my champ but doable, on my Minstrel I did do all of the previous regions quests so I was about 107 when I went into Mordor and that helped quite a bit. Flower grind probably helps but getting the Light gear from Mordor is more important so I don't think its absolutely necessary and it sounds like a massively boring grind.

If you are a melee class I would recommend trying to get a couple extra levels, range classes can kite more and mitigate some of the annoying mobs in Mordor so while the extra levels would still be helpful they probably aren't as necessary, I went in at 105 on my hunter and it was relatively easy since I rarely got hit.

Yeah, I went to Mordor at 105 on my mini and got demolished by landscape mobs (except for crebain and slugs)— getting to 107 in Eatsern Gondor sounds like a much, much, better way of doing things. Better gear, essences, better stats

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

I must have bought West & Central Gondor before I last stopped playing as I did a bit of questing in those areas. Skipped Eastern Gondor and Anorien(s?) because I was overlevelled, the store was down when I first got to the former, and the epic is pretty insistent about how imminent the siege is. Pelennor was pretty good and made up for the hour or two of Druadan bullshit.

Bought March of the King. Skipped The Wastes.

Yeah the druadan stuff wasn’t great

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

VanillaGorilla posted:

Everybody keeps talking about how terrible Rohan content is, so I'd resolved myself to skipping from Mirkwood to Gondor with a level skip. Is it worth going back and doing? Assuming all I really care about is story content (I'm playing this like a single-player ARPG, so I don't necessarily care about missing trait points from Rohan, etc.).

While the mounted combat portions suck, the atmosphere is pretty cool, and some of the quest lines are cool.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

What kind of issue at a data center could lead to sustained issues like this? I would think that data center issues could be resolved rather quickly

Of course the lack of transparency isn’t helping either

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Is it just me, or is the drop rate for gear in Mordor horrific? I haven’t found one item that I can turn into a mote yet, and I’m level 112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Anybody going to try out Treebeard or Shadowfax? Thinking about giving one or the other a try since I didn’t get very far into Anor before IRL things happened