Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well I'm starting Old Anorien finally. I decided to not do the West Rohan slayer deeds since I don't easily over level the mobs. It's not like I want to actually trouble myself or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm an Euro time and as of 9:50 am Landroval is not being presented as an option. I have Bullroarer and Palantir.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Right I'm in the process of doing it too! From Silverlode to Landroval [EN-RE]

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oxphocker posted:

Transfer started....anyone have an estimate on how long it takes? It said I'd get an email when it's ready.... so far it's been 5 mins...

I did it earlier this afternoon and still haven't gotten an email. It's been at least 6 hours probably 8.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Litany Unheard posted:

I found an answer on the forums:

Hey thanks! You're right it worked. I'm in successfully. Gonna badger hoboknife to join the kin now :P

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oxphocker posted:

We need to choose a new kin house...elf, dwarf, man, or hobbit.... I will try to get one that's mostly empty so we can pack it with goons...

Don't the Dwarves have a cool lake island house? I've never been to dwarf housing so that could be fun. Elves are such tools.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's on this map

But I don't think it's a kin house. The one in the Southwest seems good.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have the island house! It's tiny but cozy and hobbit needs nothing more. I'm looking for two cool small yard decorations.

Also if anyone has these maps: Archet, Breetown, Annuminas, and Ettenmoors, could you mail them and I'll mail them back? It's all I need for that deed. I'm gonna drop the rest of my maps in the kin. They're free TP pretty much.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I will miss living in the Shire, but it's nice to have a bit of change. I'm pleased with my tiny island fortress.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

1 gold for a small one, 7 gold for a large one or so, then a fraction of that per week for rent. Forget what it is, not much if you're a high level or even just log in daily to get your hobbit presents.

The reason everyone wants a deluxe (larger size) house is because it has more 'hooks' or slots to place your trophies from fishing, boss killing, crafting, festivals etc. So if you outgrow your small house you have to move as there is no way to upgrade the lot to a deluxe house, which is annoying.

In terms of actual practical uses, a small house is still a free teleport with storage and a mailbox, and will most likely still be able to fit a forge or workbench in it for crafting in the next patch, so the only deciding factor is....are you a huge loving nerd?

One of the more annoying things having moved from deluxe to standard is that my chest storage in house actually shrunk it seems. It's keep the items in there but won't take anymore and I take something out I can't put it back in.

If anyone needs money for a house just say and I'll mail the funds over.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'll keep an eye out. Besides Krialis what other names are supposed to be looking for to add? I'm back in game btw as Foxjo, just /tell me to add you to the kin.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So what are the pros and cons between a warden, guardian, and beorning? From what I've read, it sounds like Wardens are pretty amazing right now but I'm not sure if I like the playstyle yet. How fun are they? Do they do well in groups?

I feel like a warden is a serious investment because they have such a unique play style that can be compared to the combo's of a traditional fighting game. If you get good at it you're very versatile and can survive things that other classes can only dream of. They're more mobile than guardians for sure and have the advantage of being the only class that has a personal warps, like the hunter (though it won't work for groups). If you don't like the play style then don't play them because the play style is what really makes them so unique.

I've only just started making a guardian and I find it to be a whole lot of fun. They're practically invincible just due to high morale and defense but they do level a bit slowly. The play style early on seems to be slightly more involved compared to a champion and hunter which is just rote repeated skill use in the same pattern (isn't there a term for this?). So it's easy to learn but pro-active enough that it helps to be aware.

I haven't played beornings but people speak very well of them. They can tank, DPS, or heal I think at the same with a fairly decent level of effectiveness. I've played with a couple of high level beornings before and it was like running with a minstrel and champion rolled into one. Also the being a bear thing looks really cool.

Champion's also have a tanking tree that makes them guardian's lite, but give the versatility to be DPS wrecking balls if you ever get bored of killing slowly.

Think also of the TP if you need to: the beorning will cost as will the warden but the guardian is the free.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Haerc posted:

I don't have Beorning unlocked, oh well.

Do you get anything for making a character while subbed? It seems like my main has a bunch of stuff unlocked that I don't remember paying for compared to any characters I've made since (horse routes specifically).

Honestly, the warden is the best OP solo class, but for an easier experience go hunter. They have a lot of nice quality of life skills like extra movement speed and warps (like wardens) but are a lot easier to play. However, they may be TOO easy as they often become rote skill repetition. I like it though, probably because I'm new to MMO's.

Also yeah being VIP unlocks several perks including skill bonuses and speed travel.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

VIP is subbed. Premium unsubbed and you do get to keep the perks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Guys... there are people in the game. I can't even go to low level areas to clean up on deeds w/out feeling bad that I'm murdering everything before the on-level people get a chance.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

I bought the house next to the kinhouse from a level 23 and just got it decorated, gave you guys permission if you need a Moria keg or any of the things you probably already have! And Hobo I mailed you some deco, will get some more out as I sort things.

Haha nice. How much gold did it end up taking?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ruffz posted:

That's reasonable for people that want a crafting station in their house. I'm hoping that doesn't empty out main cities as much as I think it might. As far as the 95 boost goes, that's an absurd price. When there isn't a double bonus TP sale going, that's almost $100 worth of TP.

That's crazy expensive. But thanks for figuring it out I was curious.

The Bramble posted:

After getting utterly confused and frustrated at why I could not log in with my old account, I finally stumbled across a forum post suggesting the problem was my account was banned due to suspicious access. Lo and behold, Turbine emailed me in 2013 that they banned the account until I change my password and contact them. The error message, by the way, was "failed to queue for server", so that was supremely unhelpful in figuring out what had happened.

Hopefully I'll be able to play in a few days when they get to my support ticket. Here's a question though: all my characters are on Meneldor. Will I be able to get the free transfers to Brandywine? Or did I miss the boat?

Don't go to Brandywine, we are now on Landroval. Also it should be fine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have a question being a complete novice to MMO's and all but what exactly even is a raid?

How does it differ to the instances (like Moria stuff) and big battles?

Because as far as I can gather it's an activity you complete with a group and the game seems to have those and they do still make big battles, so what's crucial difference that I don't get?

bombhand posted:

(100YrsofAttitude, this means daytime LOTROing means I hope you'll be around!)

I hope so. My sister is coming to visit for a good part of the holiday so who knows! It has been ages since we've run across one another that's for sure.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got it thanks. I can see why that could be fun.

So what are the actual raids in game and at what levels are they locked on?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It was mine and I never regretted it. Hunters have a lot of nice quality of life perks and are generally very easy to play since your job is just to kill things quickly and let everyone else deal with keeping you alive or not getting hit. Gameplay as a hunter is pretty repetitive, but I don't personally mind. I've discovered that guardians seem to add a slight complexity to the simpleness of hunter(and champion) skill use, but they also kill things super slowly.

Your choice as a hobbit is the only right choice.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh man if you're looking for laid back go hunter red line. Just stand still and shoot arrows to your hearts delight no pressure. You can make effort and set up traps and prep yourself to be ultra strong and good at killing or just go into it any old way and still kill everything.

If you ever feel like being weird try the yellow trap line. I've never really bothered but I'm sure it's interesting or something. The blue line lets you kite, which sounds great but in practice I never found very useful outside of wide open areas due to mob density and the fact that you can't shoot without facing a target and running backwards or sideways really isn't very fast.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tedious is another person's zen.

And while you're right you can't take on too much as a hunter, it's clearly your limitation, there's no need to try to do more. I like it since it's all or nothing. Either I'll kill this guy (or 2) here or whoops I've 3 on me oh well, I'll just bite the dust/run away/etc. I don't have to try to kill the extra guys cause it just won't happen. I mean you can prep the field and lay down a couple of traps and use your fear arrow or whatever and yeah probably handle upwards to 5 mobs with a bit of luck and good potion usage if anything but it's not ideal and breaks the general calmness of being a hunter.

Also I don't know what you found the hunter's best moves to be but the cooldown's pretty short (except for heart seeker which is not a best move) and quick shot is really the best move due to the perks it gets depending on stance.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yes to all your questions! This is game is super casual and it's easy on the worst of days to move through the content. Also there's no rush to quest and you can take it as you like. Heck you can just as easily get to level 30 by just farming and cooking if you prefer. The atmosphere has never really been a let down. I'm not the biggest fan of Rohan, the Rohirrim are kinda dumb as all heck, but the land itself is very pretty. Gondor is pretty amazing through and through.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

I can't transfer my guys lol

How do you mean?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's not at all unlike combos in a proper fighting game like Soul Calibur or Tekken. Seeing as I'm awful at those sort of games I kinda dropped my warden (also I regretted making him an elf.)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I should probably work on imbuing a weapon, but it seems so complicated, that I know I'm not going to start to min-max the whole thing. If i just wing it, will it fail completely? Or will it at least turn out better than the current 2nd age bow I'm wielding?

Oxphocker posted:

While not there physically....I'm there in spirit. (from the very expensive spa hotel room I am treating myself to for the night...) It's great to see goons getting online again.

I'll be back home next week for the entire week, so I will have lots of time to play if anyone gets something going. Just message me on steam or set an announcement on the group (if you've got admin rights).

I think the thing that only you can do as leader is set the house decorating permissions. Who exactly has the right to decorate? Only officers or can the lower rank do so as well?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Steely Dawn is great, if only for Evendim. Getting that easily lets you level up to pretty much 40 and from there you've only got 4 or 5 more levels to cover before Moria.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I really never got the hate for Dunland. The area's quite pretty and varied, the epic quest that runs through it is great since it hits every area and you always have a quest that says something along the lines of "Stick around and help these people out, or don't whatever" so you're never forced to actually do any quest, and frankly the Dunlendings have more reason to be genuinely mistrustful than say the Rohirrim, who despite literally saving every region before coming to their little pointless town have A) never heard of you and B) still don't trust you.

Also, the way the plot went about one of the clans in the epic was genuinely pretty good. Nothing flashy but it was some strong story telling.

Seriously Dunland's alright.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Really worth mentioning that Turbine Points are accumalted quite easily by just playing the game and in very rare situations will you have to seriously grind. By even going through a region 80% you gain reputation, each level giving you more and more TP up to 20 if you hit kin with that people. You'll most likely score TP just by slaying enemies that you come across and exploration TP is super easy to get and even it's only 5 there's at least 25 per region of those if not more. I'd say if you manage to make it all the way through Rohan and only bought Evendim to make it through to Moria, then you'd more than likely have enough to get at least one if not two of the Gondor regions, which is great because since they're all at level 100 you don't even need to have them all to level up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I have my forge ready to place in the front yard of the Kin house, but there are no available Large Yard slots to put it into. All the slots have bound items in that I can't move, such as the stone trolls.

Would it be possible to free up a space sometime?

I'll move those out, pretty sure they're mine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Came across a Roving Threat and a Warband in the first town you go to in Central Gondor. Warband required killing the guards first, so that took a little while. The Roving Threat was some 540k hp arch-nemesis troll who I soloed by riding in a circle for probably 10 minutes while yelling at it. I guess when you have a quest to kill the threats it's worth it? The only drop it gave on its own was a 500 rep token. Saw a lot of people in glff forming groups for Sambrog(still?) and Skraids which was nice.

I have a lot of these quests lying around and I feel that it'd be fun to take on some of the Roving Threats, people could come together for this (and Tarlang's Crown...).

Thespis posted:

Could someone be a holiday angel and help me get Steely Dawn? I've had difficulty merging my LOTRO with Steam, and I really want the $1 Evendim/Armor/500TP from G2A. I'd be willing to exchange something in exchange for a Key that ISN'T for Steam if that's what it takes.

I don't get the problem, so you don't want it bought through steam or yes? If so I can do that.

Or is it you want it via another platform but can't get it yourself?

Either way I can spare a buck.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You can buy Steely Dawn through Steam and use the code in your regular non-Steam LOTRO login (in fact, I think the only way you can get Steely Dawn is through Steam). I've done it and other posters have done it.

Yeah pretty sure that's what I did.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thespis posted:

Stopped being lazy and figured it out. Thanks for the patience!

Now I look like a noob who's willing to spend money!

Oh good! I fell asleep...

The Bramble posted:

Took about two weeks, but I've finally finished everything Bree-land has to offer in my super-slow and thorough playthrough. Honestly, Archet, Combe, and Staddle are the high points, story wise, here. You feel invested in the fate of Archet from the Human/Hobbit opening, and it rolls right into the problems Combe and Staddle are having. I enjoyed the quest where you try to help a mother stop her son from becoming a brigand, though I felt they left a lot of ground uncovered there. Overall though, the theme of otherwise good people being threatened or coerced into cooperating with the bandits (the epic quest in Combe, Adso with the inn he's building) is interesting and a definite step up in maturity, if not in character, from the Shire. I did recapture a little bit of that mixture of sinister forces and innocent naivety colliding with the 'turtle soup' quest line in Bree, the finale made me laugh out loud. Lots of dumb filler quests to get boar flanks and bear asses at points though, which I'm sure are a sign of things to come. Anyway, on to Lone-Lands!

The Frostfell event has been fun too! Wish more people let me throw rotten fruit at them at the theater for the deed though, everyone has it down pat at this point and don't fail unless they're doing so on purpose. Caught this little inside-joke backstage before a show started:

The Bramble posted:

Anyway, on to Lone-Lands!

Glad you liked Bree. I found it well done, but it certainly lacked the charm of the Shire for me or the exoticness of Ered Luin. Still it's a nice area.

The fetch quests, while frequent, I find relevant somehow. The people are going through actually dangerous times and only adventurers can properly supply them. The idea of being in a war really steps up after Moria and it provides good atmosphere.

The Lonelands are pretty good. Hope you like it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Turns out I'm working about 6 days a week now and have new Christmas games that have taken me away from all but Boffin quests. I'll be back to finish at least Minas Tirith, seeing as I've done the rest of the new area.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

North Downs is pretty green and is cool since it puts you in the thick of battle. Also the swamps aren't so weird when you realize they somehow border a river on the Lonelands eastern fringe.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cnidario posted:

As said earlier, the isolation you feel in zones like Evendim, North Downs, LL, and Trollshaws is what makes such a peculiarly satisfying ambience and game experience. by the time you reach Rivendell or Esteldin there's a relief which is hard to replicate in an MMO. It's what makes this game so great.

Maybe I'm engaging in some chronological snobbery here, but I really don't think southern Eriador and Rohan do a good job of this. I just don't get the same feeling - when you are finished with one town, jump to the next, kill some orcs, help the townspeople, head off for the next town, lather, rinse, repeat.

Question for some of you: I iust hit 83, and I'm finding myself growing pretty tired of Sutcrofts (I'm in Garsfeld ATM). Is there anything compelling in the Sutcrofts quest chain /Hytbold quests, or should I just pick up with the epic quest in Broadacres?

I would suggest just move on through Rohan asap, I didn't care for the area. Wildermore isn't too bad if you can be bothered/have it at 85. Otherwise just push on through and get to Gondor.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like coming back. I don't know what burned me out but I want to finish Minas Tirith finally.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd be up for weekly things. Fridays are ok but Sunday are the most preferable day for me. Seeing as I have crazy moon hours I'll take what I can.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

xZAOx posted:

When you see me log off without saying anything and not returning, that's LOTRO crashing and me saying "gently caress it, time to do something else!"

This is exactly how I play it too unless I'm in the middle of a quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So looking at the imbuing thing after Blondii so kindly furnished me with a kickass FA bow, from what I understand the real goal is to fully max out your LI before the imbuing and then after that you literally don't have to do anything as it'll passively level itself. You can rush the leveling via scrolls but that's not necessary is it?