Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love my hunter for convenience. They always kill fast and they get you anywhere fast. But interesting they are not. I use 3-4 skills tops, though I'm far from a good hunter, but it can be repetitive. Their saving grace though is again that enemies die in a matter of seconds which is a big big boon compared to slower classes. Wardens are truly complex it seems and can add variety to your style, but I'm not one to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The year-3 Trifles quest nearly broke me. I still have a bunch to go, but I spent WAY TOO drat LONG in Carn dum. Of course I was soloing all this crap because... tbh kinda pleased how much I managed to do on my own but still.

If you're high level you can probably get by, but otherwise these absolutely need a group.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

They stick around until July something. But they'll be back next year and your progress is saved. Pretty much you get Year 1 whenever you start and just have to work your wait up.

What I'm not clear on is if you complete one of the Hunts do you unlock the next year automatically or do you have to do all three to do so?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Most of the hubs, especially in the later game have a "Return to..." skill you can barter at higher reputation.

But don't those have long cool-downs? The Native Skills are instantaneous.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Skirmish scavenger quest Year 4 A good old skirmish, requires you to purchase 4 Skirmishes at 195 points each barring sales. Kinda lame... no game content had ever been gated in such a way before. I bought them having the points lying around but yeah.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

LegionAreI posted:

I'm still around too, was super busy last week. Heading into Lone Lands like a good newbie!

Anyone have any add-ons or tricks to make inventory management less of a huge chore? That's the worst part of this game for me :(

I pretty much just sell EVERYTHING. I can't think of anything that's useful, besides potions and even then, particularly early on. Things I can't sell but don't want I just trash.

Then again I'm pretty universally bad at this game so take it with a grain of salt.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mr. Pickles posted:

Why do you say that?
Sauron is the absolute rockstar of lord of the rings imo. He's the only evil, he corrupted all the weak races throughout Arda and outwitted the Valar and the elves during the 2nd age. That's why Gandalf, the wisest of the Maiar, was rightfully afraid of Sauron and pleaded with Manwe to handle the matter himself rather than send him and the Istari, who were weak. Morgoth had all the power, but was stupid... He didn't accomplish anything and got severely owned several times all the time. Sauron surpassed him in all respects.

The Valar didn't get involved because the last time they did a whole continent got destroyed. Mind you the whole continent was brought to destruction because they couldn't bring Morgoth to heel. Morgoth got into the heads of many high elves, persons akin to angels as far as deification goes, and led them to their destruction. If Sauron can be handled by mortals on their terms, he can't be all that powerful or menacing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It does. Gondor is particularly great. And you're right, Rohan is something, BUT it's also just a lot of grassland and that bore me so much.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

To be fair, as a hunter I'm pretty sure running around in circles and shooting things was how ancient horse archers used to do these things. How's real life mounted combat supposed to work?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I had trouble with that but over time I accepted via a certain narrative. If you think of yourself as less of a hero, but rather a soldier in a large army composed of players, then it would make sense that all the enemy mobs are also party of a large army, and while you may take out a few for your quest, there are so many that they continue to have need of people to beat them back. This is why nothing ever seems to get better.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I genuinely enjoyed Dunland. Dunno why. I think it's because the mistrust felt justified? It's a different culture that's been largely stigmatized and it was cool to discover it. On the other hand the Rohirrim should be cool with you the second you murder an Orc. It feels super contrived and I hated going through that region. Even doing Old Anorien now has stopped me because I have to work with them again and they bug me so much. It's some dumb poo poo.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

Dunland was okay because you could ignore as much or little of it as you wanted without blocking main quest progression. As long as you kept up in level you could say hello at the door and mosey along to the next village.

Compare that to second half of Rohan where if you don't go kill 6 deer for dinner and then wash loving dishes you're never getting to Mordor.

THIS. I really liked the pick and choose style of Dunland (naturally I did it all...) but in Rohan you felt shoe-horned into absolutely every little pointless village.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Logged in today on a whim after I don't know how long. It's cool to see there's new stuff, but I highly doubt I'm going to stick around. Between work and dividing my leisure time between running, music, reading, and games (which I primarily do on a Switch these days), I don't see myself making time for this again. I got bogged down trying to continue the plot stuff in Far Anórien and had stopped the Epic just after Pelennor. I don't own Mordor.

I currently have 2601 TP which is enough for Mordor or another quest pack. I got this between massively grinding TP and finally putting down 30 bucks for some near the tail end of my career here, funnily enough. But again, I don't see a future where I throw myself into this game again. So I don't know if it's a thing to be done or not, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving my account to someone who can make more use of it. I can keep it around for future play I guess, but that'd be maybe in the summer and if I'm being honest with myself it's probably not going to happen.

My main is 104 Hobbit Hunter. I also have a 32 Elven Rune-Keeper, a 51 Dwarven Champion, a 84 Lore-Master, 29 Warden, and 26 Guardian. There's also a level 8 Minstrel there on the off-chance I'd ever try one out.

So yeah. Don't know what the protocol is regarding this but the offer's open. Let me know if this is grossly inappropriate.

I will say it's a fun game, clearly. Very cool world and I'm glad of the time I spent on this game regardless.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I suppose. What was more tedious was that time and wait it took to download the latest version. I checked out of curiosity and some desire, but that disappeared since it took a few days to update.

Anyway thanks! Maybe I'll pop in sometime this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ILL Machina posted:

I installed this game in the evening and patched this game overnight multiple times now without putting it in an ssd or anything fancy. My patching takes like 4-6h and I would be more accurate except I don't usually pay attention. I don't understand the multi day poo poo that keeps coming up. Bad internets?

Maybe. Though I've got fiber optic whatever. I think it's just because I was coming back from a really old version? To be fair the first bit downloaded super fast, then the second bit dragged, the last bit also flew by, so who knows.