Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah, I main Hunter and really enjoy it, but the secret to doing landscape content quickly is being able to take on multiple enemies at once. Minstrel is notably great at this, at least at low levels; you can run through a camp and destroy the entire thing without ever slowing down. The tanking classes don't have as much raw AoE damage output IIRC but there are high-level builds where you can stack bleeds, etc. and absolutely destroy everything you touch.

(Honestly, the real things Hunter has going for it are faster run speed and lots and lots of no-cooldown fast-travel skills. Depending on your play style the time saved by fast travel may far more than make up for the slower time to kill groups of mobs.)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Wow does the Mordor launch trailer make this game look awful. :(

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Every class can fairly trivially solo all landscape content on-level. Which class you play will affect how fast you can kill mobs and clear camps, and thus indirectly how fast you level. That said, the fun of this game is almost entirely in the journey and exploration IMHO; there's no real point in making a bee-line to max level. I like my hunter because it has a pretty mindless rotation and (more importantly) run speed buffs and fast-travel skills, but again it doesn't really matter. Play what you want.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So I managed to buy the expansion and then promptly log in to a character with a full inventory. :p No box with Aria of the Valar delivered (despite an alert saying it had been delivered), even after I cleared my inventory and re-logged/quit and logged in again/did a /reclaim. I've filed a ticket, of course, but figured I'd ask here if anyone else had had this problem and managed to solve it themselves.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
It seems like the new LI tiers added to the weapons make them dramatically more powerful. My bow went from 293.2 DPS at level 43 (the highest level available before Mordor) to 381.4 DPS at level 48, after I maxed out the tiers available to me, and when I find the time to grind some star-lit crystals it'll hit 498.5 DPS at level 53.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 8, 2017

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Innerguard posted:

So how are Beornings, particularly as support/healers now that they've had a few years to settle in?

I used to play a LM way back because I loved having many buttons to debuff, heal and generally dick with things. I took a brief venture onto youtube (I know, I know) for current hot takes and the things I was finding were like

'RKs are only DPS. Minstrels are the only healers.'

I happened to be going through Durthang last night on my Hunter at the same time as a Beorning, so we basically duoed the whole place. He could pull huge numbers of mobs and just. not. die, and keep me topped up on health when I happened to gain aggro. On the other hand he basically couldn't do any damage compared to me; I seriously think I was doing >90% of our combined damage output. At one point we inadvertently pulled 3 signatures + like 5 trash mobs and the Beorning literally ran in circles with the mobs beating on him while I killed the pack one at a time.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Unctuous Cretin posted:

For what it's worth, they really sped up Hytbold. Combine that with Reputation Accelerators and you can get through it in maybe 4 days.

Yeah, it's definitely worth going back and doing it if you haven't before. The quest chain once you've maxed stuff out wraps up a lot of the story arcs (so do the various quests in Central Gondor once you've maxed out rep there), and it feels really good to go into the Battle of the Pelennor Fields as the Thane of Hytbold.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Unctuous Cretin posted:

That being said, though, it was a major dick move by Standing Stone to make it required for the Anniversary scavenger hunt.

More of a dick move then requiring you to complete multiple 24-man raids? The whole Trifles series was pretty BS. I did all of the Tales and Travels but couldn't be bothered to do most of the Trifles (just the solo ones which didn't require instances or skirmishes).

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Unctuous Cretin posted:

there were people constantly doing them in LFF

Maybe that was true on the largest servers at peak times the day after the quest came out? I'm on Crickhollow and have never managed to do any group content; LFF has always seemed like a ghost town.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

I said come in! posted:

My account has Rise of Isengard, do I need to just buy the Mordor expansion to get caught up?

No, there're 2 Rohan expansions (ehhh in quality) and a bunch of Gondor quest packs (generally really good) in between.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Pugzilla posted:

What do I need (to buy?) to get the Great River quests? I made it to Stangard, but the quests are not available, other than the tasks board.

What level are you? Great River quests are level 75. If you're not following the epic questline (which directs you to Mirkwood from 60-65 and Enedwaith/Dunland from 65-75) and have just wandered in from Lothlorien you'll be level 60 or so, so you won't see any quests.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
After months of trying to push my way through Talath Ului, getting discouraged, ragequitting, and going back to FFXIV, I finally succeeded in grinding my way through Nargroth tonight. (My poor red-line Hunter can handle 2 signatures if I'm paying attention, but if I get sloppy or accidentally pull another mob it all goes to poo poo. Plus there's a hole in the level geometry that I managed to hit and insta-"die to misadventure" at least twice.) It was definitely worth it; I unlocked the capstone instances for the region, a new Allegiance quest, and the next few chapters of the Black Book of Mordor. The storytelling in this game continues to be great; it's a pity they seem to have forgotten everything they knew about dungeon design. (I don't love their choice to make landscape questing harder, but I can respect it; what really infuriates me is that we're back to the whole "retrace your steps through a camp/dungeon three or four times" thing. It's like the Chetwood all over again!) Hopefully the rest of Agarnaith will be less painful and I can finally unlock the Allegiance dailies/weeklies.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 13, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Anyone have any idea what the collection boxes in the Mordor Allegiance halls are for? As far as I can find there don't seem to be faction-specific tasks in Mordor, just the ones for the Conquest of Gorgoroth in the actual camps within Mordor.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Glass of Milk posted:

I don't think it's like this game to add a new system and then just abandon it arbitrarily.

Epic Battles

(To be fair, I'm *extremely* glad they abandoned it, they sucked)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Woodchip posted:

It’s skirmishes but worse! I think.

Oh man I totally forgot about Skirmishes! I remember they randomly became a required part of the Epic Story in Volume 2 and then disappeared again.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Quoting my own effortpost from a while back:

jalapeno_dude posted:

Yeah, to get content past the end of the Lone-lands (~level 30) and pre-Moria (level 50) you need to either subscribe or buy Quest Packs. I recommend resubbing now for a month to pick up premium status on that character, which unlocks all the VIP convenience features like fast-travel and persists even if you drop your subscription. While you're subscribed create 1 character of every class/race combo you plan on ever playing and log them in so they all have premium status. Whether it's worth subscribing beyond that month depends on your playstyle: buying the Quest Packs for TP gives you access to them forever on all of your characters, vs. subbing which only gives you access while you're actually subbed. You can pick up all of the Eriador quest packs for 3995 TP, which works out to around the cost of a 3-month subscription.

If you already have a character with premium status you want to play, you can easily get a month of content for less than a monthly subscription, so it's worth waiting to resub even if you ultimately plan on doing so. Instead, pick up Steely Dawn, on sale for $5 this weekend, which includes Evendim (the best sub-50 zone in the game) + 500 TP. Use those TP + 95 you earn from deeds (you'll pick up this amount of TP without any effort by the time you hit level 30) to buy one more quest pack for 595 TP. Then you don't need to resub until ~level 40 which will almost certainly take you at least a month to get to. The Epic Story takes you Lonelands -> North Downs -> Trollshaws -> Misty Mountains. If you're following the Epic Story I recommend buying North Downs. At the end of North Downs head directly to Aragorn in Rivendell once you're directed there, ignoring the Trollshaws content for now. Then pick up the quest from Aragorn to head to Evendim and do that zone. If you're not following the Epic Story consider just skipping North Downs and heading directly to Evendim; then buy either Trollshaws or Misty Mountains depending on how overlevelled you are coming out of Evendim.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

Literally got lost in the Old Forest. :shepicide:

That hasn't happened to me since back when there was no map.

You're gonna enjoy Northern Mirkwood then.

Advice to anyone doing the new region: when you get to Felegoth a whole bunch of quests get dropped on you at once which take you to the south and west of the zone. You might want to consider doing the quests within Felegoth itself to taste, then doing the Black Book of Mordor quests only, taking the vector quest to Loeglond when it shows up, and only coming back to the Mirkwood quests after you've done the rest of the zone. The real heart of the update, besides the Black Book itself, is a giant quest chain that doesn't start until you get to Loeglond, and IMO that's where the story starts to get really interesting. There are also two solo instances at the end of the Mirkwood-specific quest chains (one in Tholkat, one in Caras Tilion) which can be really frustrating if you're not well-geared.

Overall, though, the story in the new zone was excellent (the quests in and around Dale and the last few quests of the Black Book are some of the best the game has ever had in terms of writing and theme), and outside of the aforementioned stuff in the west of Mirkwood the zone feels much less depressing than Mordor did. Note that there's also new episodic content being released weekly (which you can pick up once you've finished the zone) which has been really good so far.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Brave New World posted:

Did they add a new Year 11 anniversary quest taking you to Mordor, Erebor, etc, or is the big scavenger hunt exactly the same as last year?

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest:The_Anniversary_Scavenger_Hunt_--_Year_Eleven

Doing all three gives a title. You can also immediately pick up any of the quests you missed last year.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
TL/DR: There are no choices you can make that aren't easily repairable until level 100 at the earliest.

All of the classes have 3 trait trees--you pick one primary one to specialize in at level 6, which gets you a few starting skills. It will be really obvious which specialization is solo-oriented (hint: it's the red one), one group line, and one other one which depending on the class could be garbage or could out-dps the red one. You get 1 trait point every ~2 levels plus a few from completing various deeds and quest chains--you can spend trait points in any tree, but it's double the cost to put it in the other two. My max-level character has 87 trait points (and there are at least 2 more I could get). You'll want to throw at least the first 35 into your primary trait tree because you get various bonuses at 5, 10, ..., 35 points spent in the tree. Well before you'll hit max level you'll buy everything in your specialized trait tree you want and start putting points in the other. You get 2 different builds (i.e. choices of specialization and point allocations for free) which you can switch between at will and can buy a third if you want. Respecializing costs in-game gold and is incredibly cheap. So you're not locked into this choice of build at all.

Starting at level 50 you get legendary items (1 weapon and 1 class item) which differ in "legacies", i.e. various tweaks and bonuses to your skills--some legacies will only be useful if you've made a particular choice of specialization or bought particular things on the trait trees. Up until level 100 you'll be trading them in every 5 levels and it's not really worth investing the time to get a "perfect" legendary item with all of the right legacies--you can carry over one legacy of your choice between items each time you upgrade, and then it's more work to change legacies beyond that. At level 100 you imbue your legendary items and they stay with you from then on. Imbued legendaries have a slightly different set of legacies than non-imbued ones. It's a nontrivial cost to swap out legacies once you imbue--you'll be granted a limited number of ways to replace legacies from doing quests, enough that you'll be able to pick the legacies you want without much difficulty, but changing them later is a major annoyance. So you'll want to have decided on your build by the time you imbue (you can have multiple sets of legendaries for multiple builds if you're insane).

Also, customizing your UI is really easy: hit Ctrl-\.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 3, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

An even better solution is to switch to nothing because tradeskills are nothing but a huge time and money waster. Gear that'll let you stomp overworld content will flow to you constantly, and when you actually need some things crafted, you can find people to help you out easily (either in the kin or random folk, this is a friendly game).

And then you'll be Level 115, wonder why everyone other than you has these sweet crafted devices for their legendaries that never seem to be available on the market board, and realize eventually that you need to go back and buy or gather hundreds and hundreds of items across dozens of zones and then spend literally months in a crafting guild reputation grind.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

Except by the time you get to 115 other things will be out and it won't matter! And if you do it all as a single effort at 115 or do it piece meal as you level up really changes nothing. You're spending that same time either way.

In general, if you enjoy it, do it, but if you don't enjoy it, don't. But I've seen people get burned out because of things like worrying about keeping their crafting up which is silly. If you're not doing challenging group content in LOTRO, not having BIS for those things won't matter.

I agree with your last paragraph. But I absolutely disagree that the time is the same either way. If I had remembered to gather wood as I leveled and to process the hides I got instead of vending them I would have saved myself a huge amount of time.

LOTRO has also been in a bit of a weird place for a while where some of the old grind continues to be relevant even years after it was released. Most notably, it would have been even harder to get through Mordor if I hadn't spent a bunch of time years prior farming star-lit crystals from festivals and Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment from Dol Amroth and Minas Tirith dailies to get my imbued legendaries in reasonable shape (and I still need ~150 more scrolls to get them maxed out, which is several more months of doing all 3 MT dailies). I'm not sure I'm going to be able to take any alt character past 105 because there's no way in hell I'm running dailies again. Maybe by the time the level cap is 125 or whatever I'll be so overleveled going through Mordor that it won't matter. The devs seem to know they need to fix the whole legendary item situation but they've said it won't happen until after the big class balance, so I'm guessing late 2019 at the earliest or more likely 2020 before the problem is addressed.

Fun fact: imbued legendary items were added in U16, May 2015. MT dailies were added in U17 and U17.2, through January 2016. That's insanely long for something to stay relevant. (The top-tier crafted devices were added even earlier, it looks like in U12 or U13 in late 2013/early 2014.)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 3, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Glass of Milk posted:

Holy crap I just realized that I could use some of my 23k skirmish marks to buy rep items for some of the early factions, which equals easy TP.

You can also buy them on the Auction House, frequently for very cheap.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I made the mistake of reading the OF threads on the class changes; you'd think I'll know better by now. Embarrassingly the Hunter "discussion" was by far the worst, to the extent that Cordovan thanked the posters on the other class threads for their feedback but warned people in the hunter thread.

In happier news, Breeland and Ered Luin are getting a graphical update to smooth out cliffs, etc. Looks pretty neat.

There was no episodic contest this week but it'll apparently resume with another 8 quests when the next 22.x update comes out.

I ground my way up to Doomfold crafting but haven't been able to motivate myself to work on the guild rep grind much. Similarly I've been plugging away at the MT dailies and have almost maxed out my bow; still need 170 more scrolls for the melee weapon and I'm not sure I'll be up for another month of grinding. I definitely have no motivation to do the Northern Mirkwood dailies: it's a crazy amount of work for gear and essences that'll be obsolete in a few months. I'm sure I bitched about this before, but I hate that you can't overwrite essences already slotted with better ones like you can do with relics. Grinding for gear and essences is already painful but the fact that you're punished further by having to further grind up essence removal scrolls makes me just nope the gently caress out of the whole system.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Not to worry, there are vanishingly few quests that have low drop rates (i.e. worse than 1 drop per 1 kill) anymore--the devs seem to have realized they were a bad mistake.

The Anniversary Festival will return from 6/7-6/18, so no worries if you missed the deadline tonight. You'll have to restart any in-progress quests from scratch, though.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The Spring Festival is back for the next 10 days, make sure to at least grab 20 tokens for the Steed of the Moon Moth (the 2017 spring mount) since it'll only be available for mithril after the festival ends. As always, doing Inn League/Ale Association is the fastest way to grind tokens; 30 tokens per set of 10 delivery quests and you can do the sets for both factions each day (plus more if you do the rest of their dailies). There's an extremely useful guide here on the most efficient way to do the deliveries.

If you only do solo content festivals are also by far the easiest way to get a hold of Star-Lit Crystals if you need them for your imbued legendaries.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

The Locator posted:

I read the guide on how to do the deliveries and said "Nope!"...

Ehh, I'd much rather do them then have to deal with running the hedge maze (or egg hunt whatever the other seasonal equivalents are) a billion times, but YMMV. (And I also run them on a hunter so the teleports are easy.)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Mode 7 posted:

I get nostalgic for this game sometimes, but my Captain is still languishing somewhere in Rohan and I just....don't want to play him anymore. The area is godawful, mounted combat loving sucks and the slow pace of Captain levelling finally broke me a few years back.

Some of the new content sounds rad though. Maybe I should just start over...it would mean I'd get to go through Moria again and that entire area was loving brilliant.

What's class balance like these days re: fast solo leveling?

Hunter or Minstrel currently one-shot all landscape mobs for at least your first several dozen levels (I've heard people say blue-line hunter does this through the 80s, but it's probably about to get nerfed). Hunter and Warden get lots of fast-travel skills. Burglar can stealth and run past mobs without having to fight them. Guardian likes to pull like 6 mobs at once and is probably fastest for clearing camps.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Minstrel will definitely kill things the fastest, especially at low levels when you can literally one-shot every mob in a camp without slowing down. Warden is the most complex class of those three by far but properly played is indestructible even soloing fellowship content on-level, and gets some fast-travel skills. Captain is pretty fun IMO but frankly is not in a very competitive place right now either in terms of damage or survivability; if you only do solo content it doesn't matter, of course, since you can just do enough quests to outlevel things and by the time you fix max level it will hopefully be in a better place.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Glass of Milk posted:

Here's my Mordor synopsis: it's hard, it's ugly, it's confusing, and it's fundamentally unfair.

It's hard- you need to get lots of light of earandil gear to negate the Mordor debuff, which takes some time. Mob density is ridiculous. Mobs also will chase you halfway across the map. Quests take a long time to complete compared to previous content.

It's ugly- yeah, it's Mordor, but so far there's been lava filled area 1, lava filled area 2 and lava filled area with spiders. I'm really longing for northern mirkwood at this point. And all this lava crap and mob density makes riding your warhorse difficult.

It's confusing- figuring out the ashes of enchantment thing is weird, the alliance thing is another grind and the vendors area numerous and every one seems to sell a different thing.

It's fundamentally unfair- you will start getting lots of gogoroth lockboxes. You will not get keys for them until you are running instances at 115. So you can either get them from the store or wait til then. I also have yet to find any non-quest gear that's between 106-115, so you rely on quest rewards to get you through until you've ground your way through.

Alternatively, I played my guardian tonight through the lush fields of Rohan and had a lovely time.
All of this is true. I'd also add that a lot of your experience depends on how much time you put in to your imbued legendary items - i.e. none if you level skipped or didn't have a character at cap before Mordor.

Honestly I'd recommend at the point you run out of patience just running through the Black Book until it takes you to Northern Mirkwood, at which point you'll get some outstanding gear as quest rewards and can go back. In a few months the level cap goes up and if you outlevel the content Mordor should be much less painful.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Meanwhile, my red line hunter, who was already sufficiently geared that he was in pretty good shape, is absolutely destroying mobs. Upshot doesn't suck, finally, and Quick Shot is SO FAST now. Plus with the various increased bleeds and 100% exsanguinate chance dots finally feel worth it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Glass of Milk posted:

There's a mithril trader in thorin's hall right next to Thorin I think.

I finally made it to 115 but have 6-7 more quests to be able to do allegiance dailies. Is it worth it (i.e. will this be another abandoned game system)?

It's already an abandoned game system (and will be even more so when the cap becomes 120 in a few months), but the allegiance system contains some of the best writing/story in all of Mordor IMO and once you've gotten the huge rep gains from doing the Lost Lore deeds you'll need to do dailies to keep gaining rep. If you haven't already, be sure to at least switch between every allegiance (which you can do for free) and do the intro quest of each faction.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

kzin602 posted:

FFXIV has a large goon population and is probably only second to WoW for overall popularity. I play a lot of FFXIV and it is very PvE - story focused with a nice dungeon queue system; the way it handles different classes is nice too (you just have one character and you can change between classes freely once you hit level 15), however it is a monthly subscription game.

Elder Scrolls Online's thread is pretty active and I've heard good things about the game. It's my understanding it is a buy the retail package and no monthly fees unless you want extra perks model.

I played GW2 for a while but I felt like there was no good PvE endgame, maybe things have changed? There's a pretty good goon population there.

Can confirm re FFXIV--LOTRO was my first love but FFXIV is where I spend most of my MMO time these days (now that I finally hit Kindred with the new factions I've just been logging in on Wednesday to do the Rust and Rime quest). In particular the Main Story Quest (FFXIV's equivalent of the Epic Quests) is very well done, especially in the recent expansions. Each class (including crafters and gatherers--FFXIV has an incredibly deep crafting system) also has generally pretty good quest chains as you level. Unlike LOTRO, FFXIV has an auto-queuing system for group content which works well and is actually used by the player base, and they've cleverly set up the incentive structure at endgame so it actually rewards people for grouping with new players doing content for the first time, which tends to make people pretty friendly and patient with new people.

I should also point out that there's a free trial with no time limit which allows you to level as many classes up to 35 on one character as you want, so you can try it at your own pace without committing to anything. IMO the first really outstanding piece of group content is at level 34 so this should give you a good taste of what's to come.

(I also played about 20 hours of ESO but didn't get into it that much--the open world thing where you just wander around picking up content as you stumble upon it didn't really work for me. Can't speak to the endgame scene there.)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Funny, I felt the same way about WoW's graphics (they were literally painful to look at and I only managed to play the game for like 2 hours), but don't mind FFXIV's. Different strokes for different folks.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
There's a huge boost in survivability from 100 to 115. I soloed the Rift and the Erebor and Osgilliath instance clusters on my Hunter as well as the first few Pelennor instances, and any tankier class will have an easier time. There are a few mechanics (e.g. in Ost Dunhoth) which make some content impossible to solo, unfortunately.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 19, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

bagrada posted:

I want to know if a level cap loremaster, captain, hunter, champion and warden can escort 4 level 1 hobbits from the shire to mount doom on foot.

edit - as opposed to running into "you must be level 40 to enter Moria" type lockouts, or having to grind rep with rohan to get through, or having the hobbits all drop dead from fear somewhere like what the line of statues in Angmar used to do before you progressed enough to be able to pass by them.

Oh my sweet summer child. Let me tell you about Chicken Runs.

(Realistically you'd want more like 20 people rather than 5.)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SettingSun posted:

I had a hankering for some Middle Earth adventure so I jumped back in. Had enough mtx coins left around for the High Elf race so I made one of those. It feels... canonically tenuous to play a character that was buddy-buddy with Gil-Galad. Only like half a dozen elves remain in Middle Earth that have beheld the light of Valinor right? I guess 'the Nazgul stabbed all the power out of you' justifies why you're adventuring at level 1 and such.

IIRC none of the background options in character creation actually require or suggest that you have been in Valinor. But yes, canonically tenuous is a good way to put it. :p

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 27, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
There is a huge, really good quest chain that starts in Loeglond. If the (honestly not very good) quests in Felegoth are getting boring don't worry about bugging out early, heading to Loeglond, and wrapping them up later; the rest of the zone is much much better.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 12, 2018

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ArchWizard posted:

If we're going to talk starting area, I will advise against rolling a regular-rear end elf. The prologue isn't that exciting, Ered Luin isn't that exciting. Be a hobbit because the Shire is the gold standard of starting areas.

Of course, once you finish the prologue, you're free to level in whatever starting area you please so long as you know how to make the trek.

Just be aware that the Shire is fetch quest hell to a much much greater extent than the rest of the game. The fetch quests are very in character for the Shire and the quest writing is outstanding, but they are still awful fetch quests. If you're not having fun consider rolling a dwarf and starting in Ered Luin instead before deciding the game isn't for you.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Brave New World posted:

And I completely disagree with everything you just said. I think the Elven part is downright beautiful, and the northern area is perfectly Dwarven. That middle Goblin area is fun and challenging if you run it at an appropriately low level.

Next up: Angmar Vs Forochel - Boring arctic slog or Mordor North?

There's a whole camp in the goblin area with Elite mobs that I literally didn't know about until like 3 months ago!

I did Forochel once, and it was worth it, but can't imagine dragging alts through it. It's just...so...big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

bentacos posted:

They got rid of the dread mechanic.

That's not true at all, it just hasn't been used in any of the post-Gondor zones.