Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can you take a canonical shortcut to the foundation of stone as well? I can't remember.

It kills you, but there's a hidden deed for falling to your death in the abyss in every Moria zone. Gives the "Blind Leaper" title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Prism posted:

Big changes about Power, too... or at least they read like them. Does anyone know how significant is this, really?

The intent was that it was supposed to matter during raid bosses or chain pulling mob packs back to back on landscape, but not affect solo play much. Of course there might be bugs right now, though.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 23, 2023

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

LegionAreI posted:

Good poo poo. Don't read the comments though, man. I didn't think this old game still got that level of "discourse."
Like seemingly any old MMO not named FFXIV, LOTRO's community is obsessed with going back to the good old days (which seem to be, roughly, "the update before they added trait trees"). LOTRO also has the added problem that there's a vocal minority of Tolkien fans who really like the books because they don't make them think about stinky women or non-white people; at least on Crickhollow, that was the group which talked the most in global chat.

Game is still good and pretty and I come back to it every time they release new areas, but the community is not a plus.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
God this game is so unstable. The Steam download wouldn't even start without manually downloading the 2005 and 2010 VC++ packages, and then the game wouldn't even launch on the 64-bit client. On the 32-bit client it works fine except every time you transition between areas (like entering or leaving a building or fast travel or stable rides) it has like a 80% chance of hard crashing.

The new area looks beautiful and the writing seems as good as it has been before, with lots of neat little touches like the NPCs popping up in every town you travel through with unique dialogue, so I'll tough through this, but man is it annoying to have to relaunch like 4 times an hour.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 18, 2023

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Tsurupettan posted:

did you possibly allow it to install into c:\program files (x86)? that causes a number of problems with both LOTRO and DDO. i've made the mistake a few times in recent years and it always caused me big problems, but it runs fine anywhere else on my PC.

Can I just drag the game folder somewhere else or do I need to redownload the whole thing somewhere else?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The combination of downloading the launcher from the LOTRO site rather than Steam and not installing it in Program Files seems to have fixed the stability issues, thanks for the advice. Still stuck using the 32-bit client because the 64-bit client won't even start, though...

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

fenix down posted:

The story quests from 141-144 are in a reworked zone (King's Gondor after the battle of the black gate), then 145-150 are in the new areas.

So yeah about 50/50 I guess? :D

Well, Outer Gondor is brand new too. So I'd say only 140-142 are the reworked areas.

It's really an astonishing amount of content, I'm probably 20 hours in and I'm mid-145 and just about to leave Gondor. In terms of dollars per hour $40 for the expansion is seeming absolutely worth it.

Some excellent writing so far, continuing the trend in the game that dates back to at least Dunland but really picked up post-Mordor of humanizing the "evil races" of men. And I've already spotted two entirely appropriate and respectful but quite pointed depictions of same-sex relationships that would be sure to piss off the Deus Vult crowd among the playerbase, except I doubt they had the reading comprehension to notice. The representative of the Tolkien estate who has to review all their planned content and storylines for appropriateness to the mythology must have an absolutely fascinating job.

And of course the world design and soundtrack are excellent as always.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

midnight77 posted:

Wonder how long till we get the Scouring of the Shire. As well, how far into unexplored regions of Middle Earth will we go? Like, IIRC there's whole other continents we never see.

SSG has said they have at least a dozen years of hypothetical plots sketched out. Right now we seem set to spend a few years dealing with Umbar and Harad, and there are still major unresolved plots dealing with Mordor and Rhun that we'll get to eventually. The general expectation among the fanbase seems to be that we won't get the Grey Havens until there's a decision to end the game. In principle of course we could have lots of stuff between the Scouring and the Grey Havens but I still expect SSG won't even start the hobbits heading home for a good while to come.

There have also been a couple of flashback expansions/quest packs (to Azanulbizar and to the siege of Mordor at the start of the Third Age) which I think were generally received pretty well so there's also the freedom to do more of that. And of course we now know it's possible in principle to get the Tolkien Estate to give rights for depicting Second Age stuff and if SSG ever managed that they'd have a huge extra space to play with.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 9, 2024