Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Dunno if this has been said, but shroud streamed this the last couple days with >15k viewers. He's on Anor and had a public min folks can join. I just resubbed after like seven years and played for like 12h in two days. I accidentally guessed the wrong legendary server though and rerolled after seeing him stream multiple days with multiple chars and the popularity kicking in. I'm betting his community will surge the server a bit.

Wardens are fun but definitely loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wow...can't believe people are still reporting out of lore names in this hobbit infested safe space. I mustve offended someone with my name Poopette. I logged in to find myself named Ettinirub...

Spend a moment commiserating with a nearby fellow named Fajitas Burritos about it...

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 13, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I disagree wholeheartedly. RK is like my favorite class in any mmo. Kinda lame too skills open up but it's not long before you get more options than you can handle. Only tricky part is their in-combat res is a pre-death buff.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Pressing F is the default assist button, too, and you can select members with the F# keys I think.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Doing the Frostbluff stuff, I've actually had it pop a notice that they're reducing awareness from server load and lag.

Is it just me? My brain isn't parsing this correctly.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

It was the first time I've ever seen this in a game. Had a square pop next to the square announcing dynamic layers and when I clicked on it, I had a pop up notice titled Reduced Awareness with the clarification of due to the increased server load causing issues like lag, it wouldn't be loading everything to the usual distance it normally would. So when I was taking out the grouchy trees, instead of seeing even the ones in the far distance, I could only see the ones from about half that distance.

Oooh wow. So awareness is some hidden graphics(?) setting dynamically managed by the sever that adjusts or forces certain draw distances based on load... Had no idea.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I installed this game in the evening and patched this game overnight multiple times now without putting it in an ssd or anything fancy. My patching takes like 4-6h and I would be more accurate except I don't usually pay attention. I don't understand the multi day poo poo that keeps coming up. Bad internets?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

sassassin posted:

I'd forgotten how incredibly boring gear gets at higher levels. Everything just slaps on a big slice of your main stats.

I might be mistaken, but I think the dev team retuned a bunch of gear to make it more like that/useful.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yah it's there an Arnor kin recruiting? My main is Arcuntiel.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I mean I'm on Arnor most days and grinding up to 50 now that the event is over and now that I've cracked out on trade skills. Not in a kin atm though. I miss the old Nazgun.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

CheeseSpawn posted:

You can make a kinship of one now? Looks like I can dream of a prem kinhouse one day for sure.

I might be wrong but I think the kin houses are linked to kin level which is linked to membership.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The FAQ said they were expecting a four month schedule, which would be Feb 6th.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I had to drop settings down to that googleable stable sheet. Kinda a shame that nothing but dx9 is reliably stable, some of the updates are kinda pretty. Maybe now that I'm not in bree all the time I should try to bump them back up.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Me: mashing the mithril coins I got on sale on arnor as soon as I have to go somewhere new.

Went from gwingris to zigilburg to gath forthnir for the first time in under five minutes for my first class quest. I own the poo poo out of undiscovered routes. DX 9 isn't the scenery in life I'm looking for. I'd rather feel like I made class progress or gotten to a certain level so I could run raids with other people. To me it's like saying you'd grind all the bear assess instead of taking a pile handed to you despite having done the same thing every five levels previously.

Tbf, I felt different my first time through and I didn't coin around, but I still swifted every chance I got after finding the route.

Edit: mithril coins summon eagles

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yah I mean I get the immersion argument, I just find the fun in games like this to be in the teamwork of some of the encounters and the writing in some of the better edited quests. I actually thin playing a warden and an rk are some of the most fun I've had with classes in mmos in general. I loved the casual jaunts through three zones the first time I did them but now it feels like a slog, but to each their own and I respect the way you enjoy the game and all that.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wardens have something similar. With that and the travel skills, not sure I'll be able to play another class.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yah that skill is not cheap and I'm pretty sure it purges the oldest debuff, FIFO-style? Not sure how it's picked actually...

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Really confused at people who really want pvp, especially in the legendary servers. Did it get good or something? Was empty and terrible when I played last.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yah, they're a natural.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Not to be contrarian, but what part of that reorg affects the new lotr game? Doesn't it mean it could potentially have better support? At least it won't be be competing for resources from other potentially doomed/unprofitable projects. As long as the game had the potential to be profitable, I'd think Amazon would stick to this since they had to buy IP. It doesn't feel like the horrors of the Big Bad EA to me.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I effing loved Secret World and it had some of the most interesting mmo plot despite still being a quest grinder. That skill circle was dope and I loved having shotguns and magic.

The guys not wrong about a lot of stuff. The level of immersion is no longer what modern gamers expect. The world and the NPCs are very static. I don't necessarily agree with his problems with text - that saves money that could go into other things. As much as I love the intricacies of warden and RK, the combat does feel a bit dated, but I'm honestly not sure what it is I'm looking for from mmo combat anymore.

That being said, I haven't played the later expansions and probably never will. I don't think there are that many people waiting for a LoTR game that are choosing to wait for a new one rather than get back into lotro. I think the initial success of the legendary server brought old players back for a taste, but I think that's still a sliver of the available LoTR-fan gamer base.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

And then quickly realize the most fun classes are warden, RK, burglar, and loremaster. Dare I say, in that order.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Any chance there are goons on landroval still organizing?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah mostly just looking to join up. Beregorne in game

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh I've been around. Not really trying to level particulary quickly. This is my third or fourth go around and I think I'll lock and alt up before I hit twenty so I can do yondershire at level. Not feeling rushed, but I'm looking forward to the new content. I did the leg servers to fifty when they launched and played through moria but not much further when turbine originally went f2p. Haven't seen rohan or Gondor before. Just been grinding leaves for festival stuff.

Holy crap the plugin compendium and managers are so nice compared to the old days...

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sorry to bring this up again but how does one get an invite to the kin these days?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Hello Sailor posted:

You're probably better off just harvesting metal and/or lumber near you as you adventure and selling it at the AH, then using the money to buy levelling gear off the AH or paying a crafter to make it directly.

I think the only crafts that actually matter in the endgame are cook and scholar, since they mainly make consumable buff items.

People like jeweling for the hope tokens too. Used to be you could make the best LIs with crafting. Not sure if that's still the case.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Lum_ posted:

Do an in-game search for "Nazgun", if someone is on send them a tell.

I don't have any characters with invite privileges, so if some officer wants to log in and promote one of my dudes, I'm on most nights and can do the needful. I'll yelp on discord next time I'm on.

Ah thanks. I've been trying to do that, but not bumping into anyone yet. I'll check it the discord and keep trying.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh God, that makes way more sense now lol. There was one before I think, and it was pretty, but that was a LOT of swimming.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

extra stout posted:

Sure thing, I took a break and am mostly waiting for the anniversary right now but post (or DM me) any chars of yours you need promoted

I'm on pretty consistently now too and would happily take invite privs to help out. I'm maining Beregorne and Poopington in the discord. Sonker is my cooking alt.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Phoix posted:

I know LOTRO is not at all a PvP focused game but out of curiosity how is the PvMP population these days? It was always pretty fun to mess around as a monster.

If you pop into the discord I can invite you to the Landroval PvMP server. It's surprisingly active and fairly frequently does "MilkRuns" for new players to help them get the commendations for gear and deeds for map skills.

For real there's some drama from arkenstone vets who have transferred but there's usually close to 20 people playing on their scheduled days including a lot of newer folks... Think it's Tuesday Thursday and maybe Friday right now.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ah, a Warden player. :v:

i need you to ease up on that callout so I can build up my combos but believe when when I'm done

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Holy moly, thank you very much!

The big nazgun Kin is on Landroval, but it's been fairly inactive recently. Hoping some folks will come join me there! We have a kin house paid out forever and it's pretty well populated and has a big PvMP community too - a bunch of arkenstone people are migrating here and coordinating events almost daily.

But no, no one really rps here except maybe in the roleplay chat that I don't know if people use. It's labeled RP but some older servers were merged here and... Well there's a lot of goofy character names and banning those people used to be all I ever saw of "RP" anyway. Still lots of lovely Tolkien nerds making GBS threads up world chat.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: Oh god, logging in on the new Beorning filled 4 out of 6 of my inventory bags with various anniversary and goodies from years of expansions.

Everyone open their inventory, click Edit Mode in toolbar on the top left, and drag rows from other bags into your Bag1 window. Built in UI element editing!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Think some people with some claimed unlocks who logged in instantly got their stuff revoked in the reset and they're working to reimburse.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The text content of lotro is arguably the only interesting part of the game. If you skip to 50, you're going to be dodging a good amount of grinding, just up to Moria which was one of the first, more interesting expansions. You can probably get there with the Book quests and other lore-based objectives, though. That being said, aside from the recent Yondershire expansion and the February Trollshaws expansion, the non-book-quest early game content is VERY old and genuinely boring. 50 might be a good spot to start. Moria is fun, you can go back to the old areas and do story quests do while over leveled and learning some mechanics and grinding class trait progress along the way.

Used to be that getting rep with the earlier locations was important for crafting and travelling, so getting kindred rep there would give you Return skills that were otherwise unachievable. But from what I can tell they are throwing in a lot more "free" travel points so it's not as important to get kindred with Bree or Mathom Society, etc.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 22, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/comments/u7lxz8/anniversary_rewards_sorted_by_type_so_you_know/

A Corgi for every boy and girl.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 22, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

I haven’t played this since Rohan, but had fun playing a Warden with goons on Silverlode. the changes sound cool, and this game was always a fun chill experience. If I were to start playing again, what are some things I would absolutely need to know or do?

I’d ideally play Warden again unless they’re nerfed into the ground

Get in on the event login rewards and festival! Stand and dance with the bands in bree. There are a couple LI guides out there for the new system, but just come back. It's not that different (I was on silverlode too). Come join us on landroval if you want.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

What are some good li guides? Need to figure out if I just turn everything into that new currrency, if there’s other uses for stuff like crystals of remembrance…etc.

Seen this one pop up

https://dadislotroguides.com/new-legendary-system-possibly-u30-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

So I went to transfer my guys from Silverlode, and my only options were two other closed servers (Palantir and Bullroarer)?? It failed on both transfers, naturally. I only have 1500 points in my account, and I'm guessing I missed the window on the free transfers, huh?

Undeterred, I rolled a Lore-master on Landroval and laughed when my limited inventory was almost immediately bombarded by expac rewards, login rewards, and old cosmetic stuff from when I played before. It is really quaint that Archet is still the beginning area for Men.

Is it easier to get groups for dungeons now? Mechanically or otherwise? My interest in these games is usually dungeons and story content, and if I remember correctly, getting groups together to do the instanced dungeons was a real pain in the rear end. Like almost non-existent. That's essentially what killed my desire to play the last time. I don't care about progging, I just like doing the cool group content and seeing the big fights.

The games largely been redesigned to be soloable. Most of what used to be group content will give you buff when you go to solo it. There is an instance and group finder but I don't know how much it's used, people usually just spam world chat for the higher value instances.