Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Foxjo is also an officer. Later today I'll log in and give you a better list of active officers. Ideally you post your game name in-thread so that officers can add you to their friends list; it'll let us check when we log in to see if you're already online and make it easier to add you.

Since Hoboknife is stepping down, a new leader will need to be chosen. For anyone who's not aware, I have leadership right now; I picked it up because Hoboknife hasn't been able to log in but it's never been meant to be anything but a temporary thing.

Because of the server migrations, the new leader of the kin can be chosen from anyone who plans to migrate to the same server as the kin. Landroval is currently preferrred with Gladden secondary. That said, based on what I've been hearing in-game, a lot of S'lode kins are looking at Arkenstone as either the preferred or the secondary server, so I'm leaning toward that as well. I'm of the opinion that specific server choice isn't as important as making sure people get to stay with non-kin friends as much as possible, since all servers will have increased populations after the move. Anyone with comments feel free to chime in.

:siren: Anyone who wants to put their hat in the ring for Nazgun leadership, please post in thread. If you want to make a campaign speech or whatever, do it. Please mention your character name(s) and (if you're not on S'lode) server. Once everyone's had a chance to do that, I'll post a list of the candidates and we can discuss and then vote on a new leader. I'm going to reserve the right to disregard candidates or votes at my discretion in the event that I think it's necessary, but I'm really just hoping that there's a good, reasonable discussion about potential leaders with a more-or-less unanimous decision at the end.

If the new leader is on Silverlode, then I can transfer leadership as soon as the consensus is reached, with a little bit of cooling-down time. If the new leader is not on Silverlode, I can transfer leadership once the migrations are done.

Any questions, feel free to ask here, PM me, or talk to me in-game (Kumathinh, Bombflower, Dragonwort). I'm also on Steam as bombhand.

Can we also make it a habit for our first post in this new thread to include the name of at least our main character/server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I think the migrations offer a good timeline for making the decision, and it's a good opportunity for players from other servers to potentially be involved, as well. It seems reasonable to me to shoot for having the new leader selected within a week or so of the kin migration, which may end up being several weeks away depending on how the server migrations progress.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Gray Area posted:

Requesting an invite for my Minstrel, Moronosi.
Added you to my friends list, hopefully it won't be long before you're online same time as an officer.

For anyone else who's still waiting for an invite, I'd just like to mention that if you're only logging in to check for officers and not actually doing much playing in the meantime, then your chances of crossing paths with an officer are dismally low. Besides that, if you aren't enjoying the solo game then you're not likely to have a lot of fun even once you're in the kin, because aside from carry runs your group content will be really limited until you start getting into higher level ranges.

ruffz posted:

This is the first talk I've heard about Arkenstone, and I'd have to vote against that, for what it's worth.
Arkenstone wasn't mentioned as a viable server in the previous thread, no. But I've been chatting in-game with leaders and members of other more active kins and arkenstone was being strongly considered for a little while. I think right now it's Landy/Gladden, though, so that's good. I don't want to split up my server presence, which potentially means a tough choice for me when the kins start migrating.

Oxphocker posted:

As for the role of a kin leader I think several goons touched on it exactly right, there isn't a lot to do much of the time.
Seems to me that the most important thing is being dedicated enough to check in regularly and make sure everything's paid up, which you were doing. Anything on top of that is varying degrees of "nice to have." But I wanted to give everyone the chance to weigh in, as I'm sure there are folks who care much more about the issue than I do.

tarbrush posted:

I have an account that I haven't accessed in like three years that's on one of the Euro servers. As part of this merger thing, will I get a chance to move it to whichever American server the Nazgun end up on?
You won't be able to transfer your server presence but you should be able to roll new characters on the same account, and be able to benefit some from any turbine points you might have. I'd probably wait until the migrations happen unless you're really hot-to-trot.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I think that the Shire should be the starter area for all players' first toon, regardless of race, because it's the area that best represents what makes LOTRO special. Sure, it's a whole pile of fetch quests and boar butts, but the difference is that when it's hobbits asking, it feels natural and proper and kind of endearing, instead of an arbitrary time-waster. That spoiled pie really matters to these little guys.

So for any new players who are thinking of starting up the game, if you don't go with hobbit as your race, the first thing I suggest you do is get your butt to Bree, or Celondim, or Thorin's Gate, and take the swift horse to Michel Delving (the Bree swift horse is at the West Gate, not the South Gate). Go north from Michel Delving into Little Delving and look for Mundo Sackville-Baggins to start the Shire prologue epic. Follow it or follow whatever other quests you want to pick up. If you don't find it at least a little charming I weep for your soul.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

AskYourself posted:

Also, someone sent me a Blemished Symbol of Celebrimbor, if anyone can make a second age lvl 100 LM staff that would be very sweet.
I have a guilded woodworker and I imagine that's the class that would do staves. But that toon's got 30 minutes left on an XP tome and I don't want to log into it until I'm ready to burn as many levels out of it as I can... I'm feeling very torn.

Also, for other people as they reach 100, there should be several more Blemished Symbols of Celebrimbor in kin chest. And a handful of lower-level symbols as well for people who are still leveling toons.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I should go drop some stuff in that chest now that you mention. Or maybe I'll just wait for after transfer. Maybe we could get a pool going for Dol Amroth tokens as well? At the very least people can use them to unlock the siege quest if not actually buy the armor pieces.

We should try to get together and do a Tarlang's crown run or something, those were hard to come by
Tarlang's Crown for sure, that'll be pretty fun. Library tokens are easy to come by, but they're not going to be able to let people skip to the training exercise; the quest chain you get from Beriadur requires you to complete four of the reputation quests down in the camp to advance it, even if you have your library rep maxed. It's the tokens for the other factions and in particular the Bank and Warehouse, that can be tough to get if you can't find a group.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

extra stout posted:

Nope, I ... did not predict a delay from Turbine :)
How long have you been playing? There's optimism but that's downright delusional.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Here's a wiki page outlining the difference between account levels: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Types

Here's a wiki page outlining the stuff in the LOTRO Store that is probably not completely up-to-date but does seem to have all the quest packs in there: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store

The starter regions - Ered Luin (dwarves and elves), Bree-land (men), and the Shire (duh) - are free, along with the Lone-lands, which is one of the two areas available for players leveling out of their starter area. As other players have said, the Lone-lands will get you to your early 30's, and if you've been completing your deeds along the way and also take some time to complete a few of the easy deeds in the other starter areas, you can expect to have enough Turbine Points to purchase Evendim or the Trollshaws (I recommend Evendim if you haven't played either before, although Trollshaws is a lot better than it used to be), which will get you to your 40's. At that point you will have experienced enough of the game to decide if you want to stick with it, if it's worth spending some money, if it's worth grinding more TP to purchase more content, or so on.

It is possible to be truly free-to-play. It requires a high tolerance for grinding, especially at first. I find that earning turbine points comes a lot easier as it goes on because you gain access to more point-earning options as you unlock more content. If you want to be fully free-to-play there are lots of tips as to how your TP are best spent to improve your grinding experience and earn you more points more efficiently.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Valiantman posted:

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that but that looks surprisingly decent. Not too expensive, compared to the subscription model.
It's easy to miss. Information on this game is not very well-centralized and not always simple to find even with googling. And a lot of the information out there is out-of-date to varying degrees. Although the wiki is generally the best source available, it's not always accurate on older content. Some users have brought pages up-to-date but other sections aren't necessarily correct where changes have been made.

A lot of the Moria info, for example, was/is out of date because Moria was really heavily revamped in a later update to make it less frustrating. I think I registered and updated at least one questline but updating one page meant updating all the pages it linked to and then all the pages those linked to and I got tired and stopped after the one questline.

AskYourself, you're scholar, right? Hoboknife's almost 100 if he's not already, so he'll need a songbook soon enough.

For everyone else, I have three Elder King symbols in my vault for making first-ages for goons who need their first 100 FA. And don't forget to check the kin chest when you hit 100 for starter gear to tide you over. There's also a bit of stuff for lower levels. It's on a "take what you need" basis, so if something in there will be useful to you, take it. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't put anything in that chest if I'm seriously bothered about who it ends up going to; I keep stuff in my own vault if I want to keep control over where it ends up.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

ruffz posted:

So, how long does Pelargir and the other endgame content take to run? I have my 4 year old and 1 year old with me during the day, so I can't really be glued to my monitor for long stretches. I did LFR raiding in WoW recently, but you can be semi-AFK in that.

Also, if I were to start doing group content again, is it like it was back in the Moria days where there was no room for Guardians that aren't tank spec? I've been in DPS spec since level 60 and it would require a new set of gear to tank.
Pelargir's pretty quick, under an hour, but requires your attention pretty much throughout with a few spots to rest as long as you need (provided nobody starts the next section). Your DPS guard will be better at it than a tank-specced one.

For Osgiliath I'm not super sure. I think the T1s should be fairly easily doable in an hour or so with a DPS-traited guard provided your morale is reasonable and you've got most of your gear slots filled with stuff from Dol Amroth (class set, slotted set, big-battle jewellery sets). The T2s are really challenging and require thoughtful gear setups and strong strategy followed properly. Do some reading on the wiki beforehand unless you've got a leader who knows the instance well and is willing to instruct. (Even then, really.)

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

We had a nice pick-up run of Pelargir with 5 Nazgun (including kin member "Nazgun") and a non-kin friend of mine! Looking forward to being able to do more of this soon.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The Inn League Keg can send you to the Misty Mountains, yeah.

Re: class discussions. Early game is easy for all classes. Leveling to 20 won't give you a great idea of what the later game experience is but it'll give you a good idea of how the class plays generally. In early game, every class melts everything whether you play it properly or not. The later solo game is still pretty easy but it requires you to actually learn how to use your class's specific strengths and accommodate its weaknesses. One thing to consider is that the solo play for most classes differs from the group play, some classes much more than others.

I have a minstrel and a guardian at level 100 and a hunter in the 90s. I don't know how to play a hunter very well so I can't really comment on it, though.

Guardian is the tanking class. As a guard your survivability will always be much better than other classes if you're appropriately-geared, and if you're geared well you're basically invulnerable. However, it's harder to wring DPS out of a guardian than any other class, although I understand it's possible, and because of that, you might find yourself making relatively slow progress in the solo game because combat takes longer than it does for other classes. If you don't want to end up tanking in most groups you join, you're best off going with a different class now while you haven't invested too much time into your guard. If you do like tanking then a guard is a great choice and right now there's plenty of demand for decent tanks in groups. (When I first hit level cap I tried to strike a balance between tank and DPS with my guard. So I had a crappy tank and a crappy DPS and was useless in pretty much every situation until someone looked at my gear, told me I was being stupid, and spent an hour showing me what essences to replace with what. And now my guard is super rad and everybody likes to have me tank for them and I can't get anything done on my guard anymore because I always get snapped up into group.) When you're looking at gear, your main stats will be vitality and might, and also tactical mitigation.

Minstrels melt everything; their solo game is the easiest of three classes I've played most, because the minstrels have an arsenal of strong offensive skills that can be used while kiting. However, they are very squishy so there are a handful of points where the solo game gets a little trickier. A minstrel is kind of two classes in one, because the healing minstrel's strategy and skill rotation is entirely different from the offensive minstrel's. (I found this to be pretty cool because it meant that when I hit level cap and started grouping, it was all new to me.) In groups the minstrel's primary value is that of a healer; its DPS is really good but there are other classes that do it even better. A half-decent minstrel generally has little problem finding groups to join. For the current end-game content, it's necessary for a minstrel to put together gear that boosts morale by quite a bit, unless you're going to be running with a guard who can keep shield wall up on you constantly. Minstrel main stats (for both healing and offense) are will and vitality, also tactical mastery and critical rating.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I have a level 60-ish RK. It's definitely not as easy as the minstrel because you can't use your skills on the move and therefore kiting is out. Whenever I am able to effectively crowd-control, however, my RK feels more powerful than the mini. I probably won't level the RK much further (unless I lose my job again :smith:), because I'm not a skilled MMO player and I prefer to stick to classes that are simpler to play.

The best RKs I've seen are able to heal really well and also provide some DPS support, or vice versa, making them more flexible in-combat than what I've seen and experienced with minstrels. For most instances, when I'm tanking, my favourite healer player runs RK, but if that person's not available I'll usually prefer a minstrel because RKs need more skill to be effective healers than minstrels seem to.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I think big battles are a fairly efficient use of time, especially Pelargir, because it can give you symbols and essences and slotted jewellery on top of the stars of merit. But then, I enjoy the big battles!

I think as long as your gear is mostly-teal and suitable for your class, the T1 Osgiliath instances should be doable for most people? Maybe a slotted piece with some morale essences in? I'm not sure what the minimum survival setup would be for those. And honestly, there's lots of scaled content that's still fun for me that doesn't require amazing gear setups.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The instance finder doesn't really work the way it's supposed to. You need to use the specific instance tab unless you already have a full party. My lowest toon is about level 35 but I'd be happy to join if I have time when stuff's going on. I probably won't be able to until at least next week, though.

The Great Barrow instances, however, are scaled, so you won't miss your chance to run them on-level. If you are interested in running a non-scaling instance on-level you'll need to put a party together when you're in the level range, so start ID'ing interested parties for a given instance early if you can.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I haven't found any must-haves, but there's one called CombatAnalysis that's kind of cool. It gives you a bunch of battle statistics, like your damage done, heals done, or damage taken. I think the Compendium is probably handy if it were kept up-to-date but I think it's quite a few updates behind now?

I think there used to be one that modified how your bags displayed your items, and that was handy, but Turbine implemented a similar change into the game itself.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I'm getting a "no permission" when I click the link; does anyone have it cached to copy-paste here?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I'll save you, buddy. I'm just downloading the update but when it's done I'll log in and if you're still around I'll invite you.

Dick Trauma posted:

It's nice to see that the seasonal event can actually be enjoyed by low levels. I'm used to other games where most of the content requires high or even max level characters.
I think all of the temporary content is doable at beginner levels, and I agree that it's very nice and a welcoming thing to new players. IIRC, the festival quests generally grant a "level-appropriate" amount of XP no matter what level you are, too.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I don't mind lending a hand with lower-level content. If I have a few minutes I"m almost always up to carry you through a fellowship quest or instance that you're struggling with. I have a couple lower-level toons but doing content on-level takes more time and I'm not very good at playing my lower-level classes, so I'm not always able to do it that way.

My main toons are Dragonwort and Kumathinh, so if you see me on feel free to ask (although I probably won't be around much until transfers happen). I am not afraid to say no so you never have to feel like you're imposing or inconveniencing me.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I've been having some serious problems with load times since an update that dropped in the last couple months or so. Normally it's just an inconvenience, but in some of the big battles it means I can't use the travel ropes without being MIA for thirty seconds to a minute, or even crashing entirely. And thirty seconds is more than enough time to sink a sidequest.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

So epic battles are a lot of fun. I can't accomplish much in them with my level 40 character, but I like shooting the catapult and repairing stuff :shobon:

I have yet to hit a chicken with a stick, but it's on my to-do list.
It's less the level of your character and more your lack of promotion points. It's true that a scaled player is less effective than an actual 100, but the biggest difference is in the promo points. If we're online at the same time (Dragonwort/Kumathinh) I'll be happy to run you through one or more of the battles to get your promotion points up, depending on how much time I have. If I've got the house to myself I'll also bore the crap out of you with a concurrent lecture on big battles, but whether that's a positive or a negative is up for debate.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think I just slightly burnt out. I had a good stretch that took me through East Gondor, Wildermore (on an alt), and bringing a guardian up to level 17. I did some deeding and have enough TP to get Anorien. And I don't feel like moving on. I was actually really enjoying the guardian until I realized all the VIP perks I had on the others weren't applying to her and now it's soured my experience a bit. The fast travel I can do without, but I didn't think you had to unlock the individual traits in the trees using TP. I'm really not sure how much more I'm going to advance on that one.
I had exactly that experience when I rolled my guard. Eventually I did re-sub for a month, and rolled a couple additional toons for the classes I felt most interested in trying later, and tried to unlock as much as I could guild-craft-wise as well. It's hard to adapt to losing the permanent perks you're used to when you start a toon that doesn't have them. Riding doesn't cost that much, but the skill set bonuses and guild-craft levels cost a lot!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If you join a crafting guild, you need to spend turbine points to unlock the reputation tiers to get access to higher-level guild crafting. There's plenty of stuff to craft without being guilded, but among other things, legendary items are guild-locked.

Also, the server test appears to be going well. 2300 logged in without alarming problems. My load problem also doesn't seem to be happening on bullroarer.

e: from earlier:

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Also, if you're only buying one month, you can get your guild set up and have your guild rep items crafted and in your vault before you subscribe, so that you can pop them all at once. You can craft all levels of the guild rep items right from the start, so doing it that way means you don't have to scramble to make sure you're crafting as it cools down in order to get your levels before your VIP expires.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah, definitely some problems, but it seems promising. Hopefully they get useful data and are able to fix things up.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yup. If the copying to Bullroarer uses the same procedure as the regular transfers (and from how it appeared, it does; I used the "transfer" button yesterday for the test), then you get a list of items you can check or uncheck when you choose your origin and destination servers. Account-shared data is one item, and then the rest is a list of your toons. If you check off all the boxes, then that would presumably move your entire server presence over at once. (Or possibly it's a separate checkbox, I don't entirely remember.)

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The Silverlode Nazgun will arrive as Nazgun-1 and Oxphocker will need to contact customer support for a name change. If Silverlode Nazgun is older than Landroval Nazgun, then to preserve the e-penis, you could probably both contact customer support together and have yours disbanded and Silverlode's renamed, then all the Landy kin members who feel like it could re-join the "new" one.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Enzenx posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to transfer the kinship like that. In that case I'll disband just before transfers open to prevent any naming issues. The Landroval Nazgun only has like 20 characters in it anyways and only one of those besides myself has logged on in the past 600+ days.
Maybe don't disband. If there HAPPENS to be another Nazgun on another server and they HAPPEN to choose Landroval, and they HAPPEN to do it at just the wrong time, then we might end up SOL. The kin transfer comes with a free kinship rename. Best to make sure things happen on our schedule and according to plan than to leave anything up to chance.

Fain80 posted:

My characters were on Landroval but I stopped playing shortly after Mines of Moria. I'm not sure j have the strength to grind out all those levels for the new content!
SOME of the new content is playable at low levels: the Osgiliath instances scale down to 50 and all of the epic battles scale you up to 100 no matter what level you play at (I think you have to be at least level 10 or 15). The epic battles rely more on your promotion points than your level, although certain objectives will be made more difficult by your relative lack of stats and skills. I don't know how playable the scaled-down instances actually are for an on-level character, though; extra stout and I tried to run the 6-man on T2 at level 50 with a well-rounded trio of 100s and it was surprisingly brutal. It could be because a number of the debuffs are percentage-based, so it's very possible that a full fellowship of level 50s could realistically run the T1 or even the T2.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just disband it. If someone hasn't logged in in over a year chances are that if they find the kinship was nuked they'll come along and ask here if they want to play with goons again. Meanwhile actually having the old guild name will help anyone who wanders back find us. Renaming it would just create pointless confusion.
I'm not talking about changing the name from Nazgun. Since transfers aren't instantaneous, I'm suggesting that Enzenx could continue sitting on the kinship name until we can be as sure as possible that no kinship named "Nazgun" from some other migrating server is going to happen to transfer their kin at precisely the wrong time and then control of the name is lost entirely. Extremely unlikely, but technically possible, I expect. Since the kinship transfer comes with a free rename, Enzenx could sit on the name through the transfer, then cooperate with a GM in disbanding while a GM is present to immediately rename Nazgun-1 to Nazgun. I tend towards being overly cautious, so there's no need to do what I'm suggesting; I just wanted to get my thoughts out there.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Does SWTOR ever ask you to clean up the vomit of passed-out partygoers?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I hope I can find another lakeside shire villa!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I got my favourite house back. My address is 4 Wending Way, Sprouting, Shire Homesteads. Other hobbit nerd goons are invited to move into Sprouting too! You can come fish off my private dock if you want.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is it worth it to buy some quest packs (using TP) at 20% off, or should I wait for a better sale?
If you're at a level where there's a quest pack you can and want to use right now, I wouldn't wait. But I think the Eriador quest bundle (everything pre-Moria, I think?) goes on sale with quest packs pretty regularly, which overall is a better deal than buying the packs individually.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

This is nice, all of these changes are nice. I have some time off between Christmas and New Years so at least I'll be able to play then even if I'm not able to find much time beforehand. (100YrsofAttitude, this means daytime LOTROing means I hope you'll be around!)

Evil Fluffy, sorry, didn't realize you were after a symbol. I have a couple in my vault from when I was running Pelargir every morning.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yup, that's the best way. If the person you message isn't an officer they can help point you to someone who is.

(Also, PSA to all non-officers: plenty of officers have non-officer alts, so if you don't see an officer online you can kin chat to see if anyone online has an alt who is!)

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Could I also have an invite for Gwynecara please? I decided to roll a new minstrel on Landroval rather than be Yet Another Hunter.

Amazed how well a minstrel can smack things down so far
That doesn't really change too much at any time, when it comes to the solo game. You have to learn how to manage aggro for a handful of instances, but other than that a combination of smart pulls and kiting will have you sailing through content. When you play in groups, however, you'll pretty much only ever be in the healer's role, unless you're non-essential. (It's kind of nice, actually - it gives you much more variety in the gameplay.)

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Conskill posted:

So, I've started my Minstrel and I'm noticing something that may be a game-changing problem.

Are my hands going to glow with swirling magic power all the time I'm in solo mode, or is there a toggle I can use to switch off the effect?
No toggle that I know of, but I've never gone through the options in depth. Dissonance stance = glowing hands. I got used to it but I understand that a lot of players got downright frothy about it when it was introduced. (What I couldn't get used to was the minstrel voice effects for every race but dwarf. Whenever I group with a non-dwarf minstrel, I wonder if they turn their combat sounds off to cope.)

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

There was an old Mines of Moria LOTRO box at my local thrift store last week, still has all its inserts. I don't know if the expansion code has been used, but I'm not sure I can test it since I have that expansion, so I'm willing to give it to a newer player who's approaching level 50 and enjoying the game so far.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Evil Fluffy's got it. A guardian is very reliant on their healer. Tanking in a nutshell: tank keeps healer alive, healer keeps tank alive, DPS classes go gently caress themselves. If you're going down too fast it can be hard to tell whether the weak link is you or your healer.

Eventually, your armour rating alone will max out your physical mitigations, but for tactical mitigations you'll have to put specific thought into your setup. Grind deeds that grant you tac mit virtue traits, and look out for tac mit on gear. If I recall correctly, your mitigations are maxed at about 17k points each, after which any points you put into it are wasted. Vitality's important because it gives you defensive stats as well as morale (more per point than other classes), but reducing how hard you get hit is always better than just boosting your morale, because it makes things easier on your healer. Use a 1-hander in blue line with a heavy shield; get some spikes for it if you have any trouble with aggro. I believe weaponsmiths craft them.

I mean, there's of course way more to it but if you're running in a well-balanced team that's appropriate for the content, tanking as a guard is a fairly straightforward affair. You should read strategy guides for instances, though, because you have to adjust what you're doing depending on what you're running and it's not always obvious what you have to do (it's never obvious what you have to do).

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Oh yeah, of course! There are tons of strategies that work really well. As a guard, I loved to duo with pretty much anyone who was able to bring the DPS. Regular questline content just melts.

It's a little disheartening logging in now, though; I was pretty well-geared back when Pelargir dropped, but now my morale is dang piddly and I don't have the time or inclination to fix it. :( Yet.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I hit a few speedbumps when I started West Rohan on my mini, too. I had gotten very used to being able to faceroll pretty much any content within a few levels with some fairly basic kiting techniques and skill rotations. West Rohan almost seemed designed to force me to learn actual strategies! My progress slowed down considerably compared to previously (however: still lightning fast in comparison to either guardian or hunter, the other two classes I've brought through West Rohan).

I wish I could tell you a magic trait arrangement that would solve your problems, but for me it was largely a combination of a bunch of small things and just plain getting used to things not falling down in three seconds. By small things, I mean choosing my LI legacies carefully, and starting to make actual use of some skills that I didn't need to worry about before. The rest of this post is me rattling stuff off the top of my head, maybe some of it will be useful to you.

Make sure you have the cooldown reduction legacy for chord of salvation. That five seconds is huge when we're talking about your major mobile heal. Increase your AOE targets. Reduce heal skills induction time. Extend anthem duration. Increase damage on damage skills, blah blah blah.

If you're not using your "side" skills, start. Cry of the Chorus has use outside of voice-lock debuffs; it grants you three damage buffs instantly, so you can use it right after your coda to get your anthem back up. Traited right, your coda has a chance to reset your cry of the chorus as well. Trait up so that your piercing cry has a chance to stun. Use the invocation of elbereth on a monster that isn't bleeding to send them away for a bit while you deal with the rest (warning: iwhen the fear wears off, the mob will pull nearby mobs to fight you). Don't be in a huge hurry all the time to use your coda; sometimes it's better to hold onto the ballads and anthems. Pay attention to the debuffs your skills apply to your targets and the buffs they give to you, and take advantage of them. I don't think there's a really good guide that's fully up-to-date on all of the ways your skills interact with one another, so mouse-over your skills and read their effects, and same thing for your skill trees. I think I spent some points in yellow for my red-line mini; I believe that's where you can increase the number of debuffs your story of courage removes. Very valuable.

Have potions handy always; the strongest you can get your hands on. Eat foods.

Take advantage of opportunities to use your stationary heals even when you don't need a heal right that second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I just realized that my interest in Bingo has waned since... he arrived in Rohan. I just really hate Rohan it seems.
Oh, no! I just got Bingo out of Moria. I don't want to lose interest in him; it's the only thing I'm not burnt out on.