Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

That first questline up the hill in Oatbarton is one of my favourites. It hits at just the time that the Lone Lands make me long for the Shire. And it doesn't have a lot of tough combat in it, so if you're a power-leveler, you can start in on it as soon as the game lets you, and by the time you're done, you're closer in level to the next batch of quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The floor underneath the rugs looks like gold coins, so that, probably?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I think completing the Riding quest probably should be on the list of things to do with your toons while VIP unless you have an account-wide Riding thing from any of the various sources for that.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Coming to LOTRO (or back to LOTRO, in my case) after playing any even slightly-more-recent game is a bit of a shock in terms of the character models. I can absolutely see it turning off players before they get immersed enough to stay. War-steed problems don't hit until a player's well-invested, and it's an irritant but I would expect that in terms of actual dealbreakers, the muddy-looking characters are a much more pressing problem.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Arch tried to invite you but you weren't out of the beginner area yet. Added you to my friends list so if you log in while I'm on I'll see it and send an invite.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The epic questline grants a handful as rewards, which I guess is their admission that yeah, that's a lot of grinding.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Prism posted:

I'm up to the point that I can get my first warsteed.

Is there, like, a warsteed FAQ at all? Which one's the best option for a captain? I assume lighter ones go faster but are less tough. Does riding one make me less tough, or just it?
I don't know what the mounted skills are for a captain but if they're mostly close-range attacks I'd go with a heavy steed. You could try medium and if you find yourself getting unhorsed a lot switch up to heavy. If your attacks are mostly long-range you could probably try a light steed, but I find them a hassle to control.

Also I probably don't know what I'm talking about; I never do anything that requires skilled mounted combat so I mostly faceroll it and do okay. It takes getting used to because it's so different from regular combat but it's not that bad and even if you really don't like it, it's only really required in a few places.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Clarence posted:

Get symbol and craft (or have crafted) a first age weapon

Have you already bought your symbol? Totally unrelated, what's your toon name? Just wondering...

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Clarence posted:

Not bought yet. I play on Windfola so probably not worth wondering. :)
Aww, sorry!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

xZAOx posted:

(you can't even replace an essence, what the gently caress?)
Don't essence removal scrolls let you change out your essences?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

I am getting frustrated with the end game of one of my other MMOs of choice, and I think it's about to run its course in a few weeks. I've played lotro before but it has been a long time since I've played it. Probably at least three or four years. What is the content like at the very top of this game? What's the leveling pace? How hard is it to get into the game and to the higher end content? How challenging are the mechanics at the top?

I saw the brief class writeup on the prior page, and I was wondering if any of the classes are especially maligned or considered gimp? Whether numerically bad or not, just things that are like 'hey if you pick this, good luck getting groups'.
I haven't played any of the high-end end-game content because I haven't geared up my guy. But right now, aside from the "top-tier" end-game content, there's the Featured Instance system, which highlights one older instance per week and offers decent rewards for completing it at level cap. It's easy to find pickup groups for FI content, and you don't need to be super geared to do it; you can fit yourself out for it with quest rewards. So it's nice in that it gives you a variety of content to do over time and it gives a chance at getting some pretty reasonably-good rewards that will prepare you for harder stuff. PUGs are also a good way to meet other players from other kinships and build up a nice group of people to eventually play with when you're ready to get into the harder stuff.

When it comes to the featured instances any class will do. I agree that burglars might be the most underappreciated class right now because I think where they really shine is large-group content. When I see people asking for filler, it seems to be pretty varied but there's a general tendency toward wanting tanks or heals. A runekeeper is a pretty flexible class and can offer both heals and DPS, which is great in a small-group situation. I don't think there's a class that'll guarantee you getting into groups right now, but someone else might have more to say about that.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

https://www.lotro.com/en/vipgift

quote:

Coming February 6th to all active VIPs!

As a thank you from Standing Stone Games, starting February 6th, active VIPs can receive a special gift! Simply sign in and log into a character on your VIP account before March 13th to get an Account-wide Steed of the Eldar for all your characters, forever! Not a VIP yet? Sign up between February 6th and March 13th and you are eligible for the gift too!

• Limited edition Premium Account-Wide Mount
• Gives +68% speed and 250 morale!
• Includes a War-steed Caparison, Saddle, and Halter!
• A mount for all your characters now, and all future ones too!

Yes, warsteeds are faster than a +68% regular mount, but sometimes you don't wanna ride a warsteed for regular stuff. And outside of a handful of festivals, +68% mounts are a hassle to earn, so if you're VIP don't forget to log in during the gift period!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Also, for anyone who's been kind of hemming or hawing about spending the money, VIP unlocks a number of things that persist even after the VIP expires, and if you haven't already bought something with real money, going VIP permanently marks your account "premium" which I think protects it from being deleted through inactivity or something? A month of VIP is definitely one of those things that I would rank very highly on the LOTRO value-for-money scale.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Account-binding the extracts is a welcome change, and the housing update is fantastic, although it makes me want more hooks again.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah, running raids over level is way easier with high level toons, but the way the debuffs work it's still easy to wipe if you don't know what you're doing. I've hopped into pubbie Watcher and Turtle runs to help out and couldn't believe some of the crap playing I saw from the folks who were supposed to be carrying. I guess that's the problem when so many players get to level cap without ever having played in a group, let alone run instances with special instructions.

I'm going to be on tonight on my guard (Dragonwort) if any level-cap players are interested in running the featured instance or any other short/easy content. It's Wraith of Water this week I think.

edit: Nope, it's Haudh Valandil, that Annuminas one where you light a bunch of braziers and then get lost for 20 minutes. That's what I do, anyway.

bombhand fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 10, 2017

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Try out a few classes and then stick with the one you're most comfortable playing. It's easy to get into PUGs as any class as long as you know your head from your butt. "In-demand" classes can change as new content is released, so you might find that the class that was in demand when you rolled is chopped liver when you hit level cap. If you don't enjoy the solo leveling experience you're just not going to make it to level cap before you quit the game.

Guardian is the only tank-tank class, and while you can wring middling DPS out of them, it's at the expense of their tanking ability. You shouldn't roll a guard unless you like tanking and want to be the tank in group content. I love my guard, but I don't think there's any class that offers less DPS. Captain is a hybrid healer/tank class, with its real strength in buffs, so it's useful in large group content. If you want DPS with some tanking ability, champion is a good bet.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I run 2H yellow guard when I'm not tanking seriously and yeah, it's reasonably good against groups, but I found that on my minstrel I'd get through the same content faster even though I was taking on fewer guys at a time. I'm not sure that a yellow guard would compare too favourably against a yellow champ, but I can't really test it out very well since my gear's based on tanking. I'm not prepared to invest the time in maintaining two sets of gear and I stick to just switching between my 2H and 1H.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Gammon posted:

Hence me asking if the intro stuff is at all representative - I didn't know it was solo instanced, every other MMO I have played puts you in a starting area that is nevertheless part of the bigger world. I didn't so much mean a lack of other players either, I assume starting areas are empty, but there was just a general lack of mobs to fight, NPCs in general etc, but if it is instanced that makes somewhat more sense.
Only portions of the intro area are solo instanced. Much of it is a public instance where you can see other people if they happen to be doing the intro at the same time as you. You can revisit the area later in its non-instanced form if you're so inclined, but it won't be much different from before.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

There are some guides out there that tell you what stats you should max out (and where the cap is) and where you should put your extras. That information shifts over time, but here's a Reddit thread that has some good generic advice, though it was written before the most recent content update so the references to epic battle jewellery are outdated.

Also, you can hover over each stat in your character sheet and it'll tell you what that stat contributes to, and vice versa for the little specifics down below. Last time I knew, vitality wasn't a great choice for non-Guardians because it doesn't contribute as much morale as a straight-up morale essence, but that might have changed.

Lastly, if you haven't already, start looking at your virtue traits, because once you get your essences sorted it's the only way to squeeze a few more points into here and there, and they add up if you level up the trait. This page on the wiki helpfully sorts all virtue deeds by the virtue they boost.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I don't even see the expansions on Steam anymore. Maybe they just want people to use the Steam installer for the base game and then buy DLC through the LOTRO store now?

I got my expansions through Steam so I thought maybe it just wasn't showing me, but if I go to the Steam store in my browser without being logged in I still don't see anything.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yes, but keep it until you reach level 100. You have enough points to buy some pretty extensive vault space with plenty of points left over!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I just bought and mailed two writs to Grimhesric. And I'll put my full Bingo's Hat Rack in the new hall when there is one. A good homey hobbit room.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I may have a couple of 1A or 2A symbols in my vault, and when you're ready to settle on what you want for your level-100 LI let me know and I'll send you one. Depending on what you want I can craft it for you first.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Brave New World posted:

I'm finally about to get a war horse for my Guardian on Laurelin, but I've heard a lot of bad things about mounted combat for Guards. Can any Goonguards give me some advice on what my least-shittiest option is? My main's a Hunter, which is supposedly one of the better classes for MC, but I hate MC nonetheless.
I played a Minstrel my first time through and a Guardian second; the adjustment was a little bit rough because of the lack of ranged attack and the fact that MC is just generally such a shift from regular combat. That said, once I got used to it it's actually not that bad. I run it in red line and it's either a medium steed or heavy, I don't remember. You'll have a couple of skills that tether your target to you briefly and they help mitigate your short range. Pick off ranged opponents first. Circle in and out of melee opponents' range and hit them as you go past them.

For any class MC is a long learning curve but eventually something should click and it'll get loads easier. On occasion MC is even the superior choice against unmounted enemies!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Also, I find it really helpful to go do low-level questlines while I get myself reacquainted. I recommend Bingo's questline that you start in Michel Delving just north of the mayor's hangout; it's a recent addition that is super endearing.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

quote:

[02/28 08:44:19 PM] [Fellowship] Herbfoot: OH <AM OITS COMIN FOR ME

Someone met his first Roving Threat!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I see people putting together RT groups occasionally, but there are so many RTs around that I would imagine on average most don't get killed very often. I don't know what the rewards are these days though.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Quest packs are on sale this week, with the unfortunate but expected exception of the new region. Also I'm done slogging through Mordor finally! I would be happy to go back there to help anybody else with any of it, even if it's just to help speed things along for you. You deserve to see the sun again!

(And any other content at any other level, mind - if I'm online and I'm not already in a group thing I am almost always ready to go join you wherever you are and run you right into the nearest roving threat.)

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

jalapeno_dude posted:

ETA: Have now done the story. I give them lots of credit for going an entire Book, and as far as I can tell an entire zone, with absolutely no combat. Game continues to be good.
No combat, but I found myself wishing it was a PVP server when people kept ganking my music sheets. If you are experiencing any sort of lag, then for your own sanity don't accept that quest.

It is fun though and I am overall enjoying it. Is there anywhere that has screenshots of all the festival barter steeds yet? I'm going to hit the token cap (which is a weird thing to introduce), so I need to find something to spend them on that doesn't have to live in an inventory slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Another vote for the wallet. A month of VIP and the wallet are probably the two must-have QoL purchases.

There's a list of things that are good to do before your VIP expires in order to get the most of the time you have. Off the top of my head, you'll want to earn the Riding skill on all the toons you're planning to use in the future, unless you buy a package that gives you account-wide Riding. You'll also want to choose carefully what items you want to have in your wardrobe slots because your capacity will drop by 20 when VIP expires. Any stuff that's in there stays, but if you want to add something new you'll have to either take a bunch of stuff out, or buy 20 slots back.