Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Black friday expansion sales are up.

Gundabad 25% off - $30 from $40
Three peaks 60% off - $8 from $20
Minas morgul 85% off - $6 from $40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Log on, open the store, and there's a spot for account wide expacs and quest packs. If it doesn't show, your already own it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm finally going through Gundabad, having bought it on the last sale. Then forgot that I bought it. Anyways, the first area (Mattugard) was fine. But man, Deepscrave was really annoying. Too much backtracking through mobs again and again, plus navigating up and down that goddamn stair system, heh.

Stonejaws seems good so far, but I had something happen - I was fighting in the tombs area, fighting Angmarim, when all of a sudden they all disappeared and the area I had cleared out went back to full spawn of Kegrim. What causes this? I...did not survive. I found a thread on the official forums discussing it, but no one knew what was going on either.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I guess no one else knows either, heh.

Here's another question maybe someone knows - i have one tier lower traceries on my LI, but teal. The current tier I only have purple. On some it's more obvious what the difference is - like teal is 30% a certain skill damage, purple is 25%. The advice I read was that in that case, stick with the teal.

However for herald traceries, they're just stats. No percentage stuff. Is there a site to use to know if they should be swapped out? Both last tier and the current ones max at 499, and the slots can only go to 480 right now anyways.

What's even the difference on the stat scaling, if anyone knows? Is there even any difference between tiers, or is the incentive to upgrade just the max rank and the "tracery stops writing at level X" stuff? That plus they start at a higher rank, but all mine are to that rank or higher anyways.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks for the response! That makes sense, and kind of what I figured. If this were a more popular MMO, there'd probably be some good community website where you could just pick traceries and see values at each rank, but oh well.

I've just been doing landscape poo poo anyways, so not like it overly matters, heh. I finished all the zone quests in Gundabad yesterday. Have some epic left, then of course the repeatables if I feel inclined. Probably won't, though.

Anyone dip their toes in the pug scene lately? I did pug raiding and grouping years back in Gondor content, and it was usually a positive experience. I still see pugs recruiting often enough, so guess it's decent?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Diabetic posted:

I'm surprised this doesn't have a stronger presence online

I love lotro for what it is, but like... I'm surprised at times it is even still running. It really doesn't do anything unique or special aside from the brand.

The questing is as vanilla and plain as you could get. The graphics are dated. The UI is old and doesn't scale well. And the goddamn lag... It's gotten way worse the past year. But even before that, stuff like rubber banding has always been terrible.

Until very, very recently, it was also really expensive if you wanted to check out old content - or otherwise buy a boost. It's better now, but it really came off as nickel and diming you, and instead of jumping in, people would try to research the "best" way to get content and start playing.

I don't think any of the end game stuff has ever been very good. The Rohan horses were, and still are, undercooked idea. Epic battles, no one ever liked them. Maybe people like missions or delves at least? The end game rep / deed grinds are also very boring and unoriginal.

The brand is also a bit of a detractor. It really limits what they can do. It's hundreds of hours against wolves, bugs, ents, orcs, goblins, ghosts, and evil men. There's obviously more, but the enemy roster and type of locations are really narrow compared to other long running MMOs.

I've enjoyed dungeons and raids, but I've really only ever pugged them. And I haven't even done that since like... Gondor. They didn't even release much/any group content for a loooong stretch of time.

And if anyone did want to join in, unless you buy a boost, you have a looong way to go before you can play with friends.

The game is also notably on the pay to win scale. It's nowhere near Diablo Immortal bad, but essences, li's, loot boxes, quest teleports are all pretty rampant and in your face for new players.

drat, I sound like I hate the game, lol. I love the landscape and setting. It's a very chill and easy experience. If you just want to take your time doing landscape content, it's also really cheap (after the latest changes) since there's no sub. Exploring is fun, especially if you like middle earth.

But beyond the brand, it just doesn't offer anything special. ESO, GW2, WoW, FF14 all are much better games, much more modern, less bugs and lag and jank. 2 of those also have no sub fee, ff has an insane free trial, 2 of those also have static top end gear and level, you can catch up to end game content easier, the endgames are much more refined and popular. Their monetization models are also easier to understand, and they're much much less directly pay to win (being able to buy currency is probably the biggest offender in two of them).

I don't know why I felt like giving a goddamn dissertation on my stupid thoughts about lotro, but there you go! I just finished Gundabad and the second zone sucked, but the rest were pretty good. I look forward to the next max level expansion.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pryce posted:

I’ve been told you get sick of Moria’s interiors pretty quickly but leveling is much faster these days so I don’t think it’ll outstay its welcome.

I'm from the hobbit influx, so I've been playing a long time now, but was also really late to the game.

As a side note: some of the epic quests are also pretty... Not happy, in that era. (Hopefully balance changes haven't made some of them impossible - a few were quite tough when I went through because that poo poo wasn't considered with years later balance changes). But it really does also feed into the mood.

My advice is that once you start Moria, to try to stay there until you're done. Do your banking and such there. Why? Because it's goddamn oppressive, in a wonderful way. The zones are ultimately the same bear rear end gameplay as everything else, but the atmosphere is on point. Let yourself yearn for light. The zones do have variety, but the constant underground definitely can be felt.

Then when you do finish it, and come out the other side and see the golden forest, it just makes the whole experience that much more memorable.

At least, that's how it was for me!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
If they just now made the agreement, that's like five years at best.

MMOs just take too long.

(I know it's nowhere near the same, but pantheon is now in nine years of development, lol. If you get rid of the lovely start, it's still had 5-6 years since their main funding)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
A bummer, but not surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
How much of Corsairs is "reworked landscape area you've already done" versus the actual new landscape? Is it 50/50 at least?

The fact that it wasn't a whole new area was a big turnoff for me. Makes me worried their profits are way down or something.