Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's best to play the class that sounds the most interesting. Every class is going through a rebalance (or will shortly), and early leveling is a cinch. In fact, until you get to Mordor, you're in pretty good shape, at least as far as my experience has been.

Guardian went through a balance pass and I think redline is stronger than it's ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

robotsinmyhead posted:

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but LOTRO feels pretty dead (I realized the OP is like 4 years old). And while still a pretty good game, I'd like something a bit more active. Are there any good primarily PvE MMOs with active goon guilds running on them?

Lotro is now just a fiddle simulator. You'd have to be nuts to do all the grinding needed for PvE.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
They're trying to retain people thinking of going back to WoW, I guess.

Characters get exponentially more powerful at 106, and equipment as well. Importantly, you can breeze through level 105 skirmishes (maybe other content too?) for decent rewards for several levels after you get to 106.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Hunter can travel everywhere and is ridiculously powerful especially at earlier levels. Redline minstrel also burns things down fast and has good survivability. If it matters to you, because they burn mobs so quickly they're great choices for getting the early zone deeds which can earn a good amount of LP.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Mordor tends to suck pretty quickly. Level 106 gear is much better than 105, and you need stuff with light to counteract the zone-wide shadow debuff. The only way to get it is to quest at first, I think. If you can, find a buddy and it will be much more bearable.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

bear is driving! posted:

I want so very much to play this game again. I downloaded it, decided I wanted to play a Captain, killed two wolves, and instantly lost all will to play. I feel like it'll take forever to level and get to a point where I can actually play with other people :-(

If you don't have the will to kill innumerable enemies over and over again, this is not the game for you.

That said, at level 10 you can do the Big Battles, which equalizes everyone's level to 100 so you can group with others.

Alternatively, spring for an Aria of the Valar and get to 115 immediately

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Captain is not simple. For simple, do Hunter or Champion.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I do that poo poo but with craft skills. I don't need another jeweler, but I have three. Only one is level part expert, though

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Gorgoroth crates are the p2w mechanism that they introduced with Mordor that can only be unlocked with black keys. Yes, you can eventually earn keys doing dailies but you'll get dozens of the crates in Mordor. Maybe I'm just cynical about it.

Until you're at endgame, it makes more sense to craft or buy a lesser essence for a slot. They do make a difference, especially mitigation ones if you're having trouble dying a lot in Mordor. The better ones are only worth a bit more, and you won't need them til you're at 115 anyways

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's refreshing compared to Mordor. They did a nice job with lake town, and Dale and the dwarves are okay.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Yay 5 more levels to grind.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Every time I think that I'd like a classic or legendary server, I think about what my typical alt experience is like.

At start: this is fun!
Approx. Level 8: Christ, I don't wanna do this for 100 more levels.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The whole Light gear thing was a annoying debacle because to get Light gear you needed to quest in Mordor and to quest in Mordor you needed Light gear. Some classes didn't have a problem, but as a Captain it was a nightmare, even being slightly overleveled for zones.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I usually play furiously for a couple weeks then uninstall for 6 months-1 year.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Ugh, another level increase.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
One other thing to consider with the f2p aspect is that deeds in the starter areas can net you several hundred lotro points. You earn them per character, so keeping a spare character slot to grind those and low-level crafting mats is a way to supplement LP and gold. But that depends on your time and tolerance for grinding.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Apart from actually spending money on the drat game, is there any way to gear up from level 116 onward? I have been doing the free black book quests plus dailies to try and level, and it's slow and annoying, but I am getting murdered by mobs now.

The cheapest option would be to sub for a month and get quest gear, but...I don't know that I'd get my money's worth. I installed again after a year hiatus and even though it looks great, the gameplay feels old.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

jalapeno_dude posted:

There's essentially no point in leveling/gearing up without having access to content because all the endgame content that you'd actually need to gear up for is locked behind that same content.

If you truly don't want to spend money, the best use of your time in game would be grinding old deeds to get the turbine points (or whatever they're called these days) which you can buy quest packs with.

I don't mind spending money to get content, but it is annoying to throw it at content that you're going to go through for 4-5 levels and STILL have 10 more levels to do.

Grinding turbine points is not worth my time anymore. I used to re-create characters over and over and do the beginner area deeds for TP, but with each quest pack costing 2k+ it's better to spend the money for VIP for the month

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
So if I understand things, now motes of enchantment are used for non-top level stuff and embers are used for top tier equipment?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Babe Magnet posted:

reinstalled this recently. never leveled very high, but I got some free time coming up so I figured I'd take another swing at it

speaking of taking a swing that thing, the official forums are NOT happy about the upcoming Brawler class lmao.

One thing the LOTRO folks know how to do is add a bunch of poorly thought-out, tested and implemented new systems.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Babe Magnet posted:

oh yeah, LotR has a dude just called Bard lol

so I'm doing the anniversary event now, it looks like I won't be able to buy a ton of stuff, but I'm looking at mount things. Should I buy a whole rear end mount or should I save up and buy Mount Armor which I'm assuming is used for the combat mount I get later?

I guess what I'm asking is what would I be using more? Is there any reason to go back to a regular mount once I get Battle Horse?

Horse stuff is all cosmetic for your warhorse. You're better off buying crystals of anfalas and saving them to upgrade your legendary items (or just get cool cosmetics because dressing up is just as valid as anything)

The warhorse is faster for traveling through big areas, but the code is so bad it's like steering a drifting car. You'll want a regular horse/goat for cities and towns.

Don't sweat the warhorse stuff too much. Just get a good bridle when the time comes and you'll be 99% of the way there

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Brawler is likely coming with Gundabad expansion, presumably, along with a character boost.

How's Minas Morgul? $40 for an expansion that's already been superseded seems steep.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Lum_ posted:

Also, it hasn't been superseded yet, the only things published since have been somewhat thin content packs (including one that isn't max level, Wildwood). Minas Morgul is still the final "full" expansion and will be till Gundabad comes out later this year.

Ah okay. I've gotten to about 122 without the pack just by doing the epic, but it's now going through Ram Duath and I'm hitting red-level enemies.

I'll look into it! Thanks!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

HPanda posted:

I’ve done that a bit, but no way to change their shape that I can see. Just vertical/horizontal and placement for the whole bar line.

Look in the toolbar options and you have to check something like "quickbar 1/2/3/4/5" or something, then you can change their layout.

I hated those Evendim hobbit quests so much. They're worth a couple of levels, though, and getting out of Evendim at the highest level possible is a definite good thing to quickly get into Moria

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I forgot how much the elves in Rivendell hate all living things. Every animal in the Trollshaws is up for a hunting quest. So many bear asses

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Zam Wesell posted:

Hm, is the LOTRO Store supposed to work? I'm clicking the button in-game, but it only opens a 404 in my browser.

https://www.lotro.com/LOTROStore

I think you need to be logged in with your account. I can always get to it in-game, but not just directly from a browser.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

HPanda posted:

I also found that some classes just feel less impactful, at least at the early stages. Weirdly, Minstrel feels like their attacks have some actual impact to them, moreso to me than something like Champion or Hunter. Minstrels are definitely glass cannons, but they at least seem to have the cannon part at the proper level to be fun to play.

Bear is also fun. Bears throw bees at orcs. I have a bear scholar. She throws bees at people when they interrupt her studying an ancient ruin.

It's so funny because I have been playing my champion, gathering up half a zone's worth of mobs and decimating them. When I leveled my Captain, I had to go one-by-one or I would die (that was a million years ago though)

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
That's a great guide!

The best use I've found for mithril coins is leveling up your LI DPS at high levels. At lower levels, but crystals from skirmish vendors and/or during festivals.

I also got a ton of Mithril coins in the winter festival but YMMV.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

HPanda posted:

I wish the milestone skills were account-wide and not just for that character. I character hop too much to make that worth it.

Another thing that might be worth buying is inventory space. You can pay for one month of VIP to get the extra slots for all current characters, but even then, more slots is nice. Get them on sale, though. Just do VIP first because otherwise you might have to bug a GM to unlock your extra slots like I did (I guess VIP just checks how many slots you have at that moment or something, but the GM was nice and opened them up for me; just takes a few days).

I also get a ton of use out of shared storage space, but that’s really only useful if you like running several alts with all the crafting jobs spread among them.

As annoying as going back and forth to settlements is, you can get a decent amount of regular bank vault space for gold. I stick all my cosmetics and one off boosts in there and just carry what I need.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I never bought any quest packs for the 40-50 range. I usually finish Evendim at 41-43ish and then would do skirmishes ad nauseum until 44 and then go to Eregion, but I just discovered that 42-43 is the perfect level to go into Sarnur and grind instead. You get tons of Thorin Hall items and there's deeds you can accomplish.

Definitely quicker just to get Angmar, Forochel or Misty Mountains, but it's a decent alternative if you don't have those.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Comrade Koba posted:

I did everything in Lonelands except for the group stuff at the end near the instance clusters. IIRC I moved on to Evendim at ~32 and didn’t leave until 44-45.

I really did grind a bunch in the Lone Lands and in Evendim to get the deeds done. But I went lone-lands->trollshaws->Evendim. So when I started Evendim most of the quests were green and finished being white/light blue.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

extra stout posted:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8077327#post8077327

"Update 30 is currently expected to be released next week, so there will not be another preview of Update 30 content. We have other previews planned for the relatively near future, though. "

Looks like everyone in that thread is not happy about the state of the patch.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My champion is way more effective than my captain at leveling. I can grab entire rooms in Moria and solo them, where my Captain can possibly only take 1 or 2 mobs at once.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

HPanda posted:

How do Runekeepers fare as they level up? I’m still at about lvl 20 on mine, but just wondering people’s thoughts.

Most of my time right now is spent in decision paralysis over what class I want to play. I kinda lean Hunter just because of the crazy quality of life abilities they get compared to everyone else, but they really only have the one role in groups. I kinda like that RK can DPS or Heal. Bear is fun, too, but the high ranged impact classes sometimes just feel better. And minstrel is my highest so far in the upper 30’s. Cause yelling and playing instruments at things until they die never gets old.

I tried out my RK for the first time in a while and lightning/red spec is fun once you get the runestone. I could do the whole grouping enemies thing once I got that. And your self-heals are pretty excellent. But I don't know (and personally don't care) about endgame usefulness.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think grouping the quest packs by level rather than zone is a better way to organize them. And maybe allow for the TP to be earned in all zones with deeds so people are playing more and presumably needing more items from the store.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
One thing I hate is the utterly terrible active click areas for quests, but funding out that you can use "del" to target them and "u" to perform the action (post a sign, etc) has improved my life immeasurably.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

xZAOx posted:

Last time I played was 2018 I think, the Iron Hills stuff? I've been catching up on the new LI system, or trying to. The main thing I don't understand - what do you do with your old LIs?

Is this purely "make a new one from scratch" now, buying stuff from a room in Rivendale? Or do you reforge your current old ones?

My character is 115 pretty sure. I had just done the Iron Hills stuff I think, so quite a bit to catch up on. Thinking I'll probably play for a bit over holiday break.

You "extract" stuff from your existing ones and use that to build new ones in Rivendell, but as far as I could tell you can't do anything with your old ones, so I just tossed them.

Kaysette posted:

Was the Minas Morgul content free for a while in 2020 or something? I’m 130 and did through black book chapter 14.5 but it’s saying I never bought the expansion. Just trying to remember what I did and if it matters if I want to hop back into the new stuff.

E: I know I never did war of the three peaks, will that stuff be important to know going in? I’m assuming it will be.

I never had Minas Morgul, but I was able to finish the Black Book quests. They're like the old Epic quests- everyone gets them.

You also get the Blood of Azog and Dwarf Epic quests, which are pretty substantial. And if you got the giveaway you get "The Fall of Khazad-dûm" raid, which seems to give pretty high-level equipment, though I suspect the Gundabad stuff beats it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Not having to cycle through a million legendaries is nice, but they did gently caress all to introduce the system properly in-game. If you didn't happen to read the blog post about going to Rivendell, you would be pretty screwed

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
War horses are utterly broken and are very much in a need of an overhaul. Since they don't scale at higher levels, the only benefit they provide is a speed boost, but having to deal with Tokyo drifting everywhere makes them fairly useless. Not only that, but they're incredibly weak compared to normal mounts at those high levels, and of course there's no new legendary bridles.

I enjoy Lotro as a tour through middle earth, but there are so many broken systems.

Also, if I decided to gear up at 140, what's the progression?. I'm capped at motes of enchantment, but that's all 130 and below gear, correct? So...just do daily missions to get Ember gear and then do dungeons/raids/instances? I don't think I've ever actually made it to the level cap before it got raised before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I told my friend the only real reason to play this is to gently caress around in Middle Earth, and that's only been reinforced with these changes