Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Much of the content for LoTRO is now free, Gundabad is the most recent expansion pack and you don't need to buy it til end game. I'll revise this thread more soon.

-Choosing A Server-

If you're just starting out, pick Landroval to join us.
Our original server Silverlode is now long closed, so you can't log into those characters anymore. You can transfer them from the game launcher, our new server is Landroval.
Officers who can invite you to the kin if you message them a bunch of annoying references and forum memes:

Grodhir
Nazgun
Grimhesric
Imema
Archafiel
Dragonwort
Blondii

If none are online, you can search Nazgun on the left panel of the social menu (press O) or post in this thread.

Old news: Minas Morgul was better than Mordor in every way except for maybe the epic/book quest, for obvious reasons.

November 2018: Legendary server goes live November 7th.

October 2018: Update 23: Where Dragons Dwell just came out. It's free with VIP or 1995 LP for bums, many quests, two maps, three instances and a four fight raid.
Summary: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Where_Dragons_Dwell

This was great content, though much less necessary or active now. I might delete this picture after this edit

July 31st 2017: The Mordor expansion arrived with over 300 new quests, the new allegiance system, group content and a raid. And of course: The book quest contains some dramatic stuff no one could possibly predict.

https://www.lotro.com
https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/races-and-classes

The Lord of the Rings Online is my favorite MMO and the only MMO with a license to Tolkien's LoTR books. It launched in April of 2007 but has been updated many times since, with expansions including Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, Riders of Rohan, Helm's Deep, Mordor, Minas Morgul and now Gundabad.The game is free to play, known as I believe the first MMO to really shift from subscription only to optional subscription without killing the game, but rather tripling sales and making the F2P concept very popular. Unfortunately most companies squeeze you pretty hard, but LoTRO does not. I'm not going to guess exactly how much it'll cost you because that depends on your amount of free time, patience, and sales, but I've been playing since the beta and average maybe $50 a year total to play, including expansions and everything in between. The game is 100% free for your first 20-30 levels, and then depending on your patience either permanently free or costing some bucks here and there. The "quad pack" of the first four expansion packs goes on sale 75% off every Summer and Christmas.

Updating that text soon as you can now play for free for nearly 95? levels of active content/quests.

quote:

Nazgun Discord Link: https://discord.gg/ewTckTs

POORLY ORGANIZED UPDATE:

Here's a video about the Update 19 housing updates, housing in game has been updated even more since this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbnRqvZ1RnI

A guide to legendary items for anyone who is confused by them, by the same guy who talks funny but is cool and good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDxnWczMrq4

The above LI video is now outdated. You'll want to check the official website, the lotro-wiki or better yet any number of YouTube videos about the new legendary item system. Will update this post with some after I review a few. For now: You go to an elf appraiser in The Last Homely House in Rivendell and they give you a bunch of dumb currencies based on evaluating your old LIs, you then make better LIs that are stronger, but struggle to figure out how to fill 20 slots with a bad UI. It's still going to be changed and improved more in upcoming patches.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Websites to know:

https://www.lotro.com
https://www.twitter.com/lotro
https://www.twitter.com/lotrostore - Check weekly for not just in game sales (open the store in game with ctrl-S) but also for a coupon for a free item every week.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Main_Page - The most up to date wiki on the game that I am aware of, feel free to use the search button on it if you want to see how a mount works or looks or are stuck on a quest.

Going to put this link here since it's been posted twice and is useful
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Zones_by_level

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/

---

Some Video Channels

The main company channel that does some preview streams and hosts smaller streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream/profile

Some of the sponsored streamers are:
https://www.twitch.tv/bludborn/profile Active again, and doing interviews with the new producer
https://www.twitch.tv/stine
https://www.twitch.tv/koolkkyle/profile (Mostly inactive)

A guy who is trying to run an online university about Tolkien and gives lectures in game
https://www.twitch.tv/signumu

YouTuber who covers end game content in short videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPTR7OkPWpgZZyPk3KxkUvA

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 15, 2021

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Thanks for the suggestions, updated the OP with more officers who can invite new players. As far as other ideas for it go, yep I was just reviewing which of the leveling guides would work most in current times, going to look and see how they compare to the one on Turbines site because that one is pretty and might still work if I just did a few circles and lines through it to save people money and maximize joy. And to clear up the new thread/leader thing without bringing any drama to it or hopefully sparking up too much poo poo, I had an urge to get Nazgun more active again for a long time now, hence mailing you all an annoying amount of pipeweed and realizing how even with my help it takes two weeks sometimes to get an invite, so I made a post on the forums, even showed it to some other goons to as "Do you think this will offend him or is it right to the point?" and they all said no that's good, post it. I posted it, he wrote a five paragraph rant including "gently caress you" and something about how we should have been grateful for him keeping the kin alive for a while (which we could have said thanks for except he immediately closed the thread and deleted most the OP so we wouldn't have guides or pictures from it).

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 25, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
You closed the old thread with a giant rant without warning, by your own admission you are too busy in real life to be the kin leader, stepped down without us even having to vote. Does the new thread really need to already be all about you again? If you don't have time for the game, that's fine we understand, play casually. But you seem to have more time to rant on the forums of a game you admittedly said you don't really play than anyone could imagine. I hope you'll stay with the kin and play whenever you have time, but all people wanted was a new active LOTRO thread, kin and community, and it seems like that'll be pretty easy to make work on the new server without a two page guide on how to handle drama, there's no on online to get offended by mild jokes so there is no drama beyond your posts, just a video game that owns big time. Also I will delete the parts of this post concerning you out if it means you won't hijack the brand new thread again.

edit

Read below this cool line for end game tips that own:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of you might already know this, but if you want to save a good thousand gold or fifty bucks worth of turbine points you can go to the skirmish camp inside the building at the entrance of Dol Amroth, barter for tier 9 relics for around 250 marks/250 medallions each, then go decon those to get 1-2 relics from each. Then you click the refine tab of the relic NPC, and you get 1536, yes 1536 shards for each of those relics. The best settings in the game right now cost about 11,000 shards, meaning you just got one for your weapon and one for your class legendary item in a half hour worth of Glinghant runs or so.

I believe I posted this in the old thread, but you get an anfalas star-lit crystal (which you need 6 of total for a perfect weapon) from Book 3 Chapter 3 of the epic quest in central Gondor. Saves you about 200+ gold. You also get some essence, but they aren't the best and might not be what you want, so you can sell those on the auction.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 20, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've finally begun to make my push through central Gondor to hopefully finish the East before Minas Tirith and I've got to say Lebennin is really pretty. There's something tangentially different about Gondor when compared to Rohan, even though they seem somewhat similar (Kingdoms of Men invaded by armies). I don't know what it is, but whereas Rohan seriously began to bore me, Gondor manages to stay interesting and cool to see every time.

Oh and to anyone not sure to join up. Just ask yourself if you ever wanted to see the Shire and do dumbshit for hobbits. The Shire is the best starting zone and it just hits all the right notes. The whole game does that with a lot of the lore. It's by far the best thing about it, seeing the massive explorable world of Middle Earth accessible at your feet.

What do you think of Central and East Gondor so far? I'm in Central currently and enjoying it, though curious what I'll actually be bartering for if I'd be better off using all these currencies for rep. Is there anything very important in either area, or can I afford to buy some cool cosmetic pets right off the bat without having to grind more coins? I agree the starting zones are all pretty magical, and I included a Shire fishing screenshot even if I had to crop it to fit the OP. That's actually taken on Landroval, it was a weird and pleasant thing to see people consistently fishing and chatting on a server.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Sure I'm up for contributions to the thread, I was talking with Bombhand earlier and what I thought was the best idea is to let people who really really want to "research" a game read the official site and the wiki, and to make the OP of this thread just barely long enough, but long enough to reduce a few questions and generate some more curiosity and interest out of new players. Overall though I think giving a few sentences about each topic in the game, and soon some better screenshots, is a cool idea because ultimately we want to help people out in game on a case by case basis when they have questions or need something crafted, not become forum lords or turn into a wiki, because this thread really can't compete with a wiki, but we as players can beat it with quick, simplified advice when we are online or posting.

For those still trying to figure out why to play this game: You pick your favorite race, then browse the classes and maybe ask some defining questions, then pick which one you hope will be your favorite. You explore and read about, slaughter your way through the entirety of Middle-Earth at your own pace and skipping whichever things you find dumb, and you make some friends and poo poo. Bingo-Boffin is cool, though I wonder if it's a good idea to add one more thing (in terms of a new player) in a game that already has one thousand things. Maybe do just enough of the Bingo-Boffin quest to get your pet rabbit if you like those kind of things, then try to catch up and level.

Also I got a chance to ask Frelorn about future additions to Bingo Bartering, since you can already buy about every item you'd want from it and there's something like 48 weeks to go. He said he doesn't work in that department and can't promise anything, but that's surely something he'll pass on to them and something he said he imagine they'd definitely be adding more rewards to. But, that is new fun player stuff, not a source of true Tolkien lore, PVP gear, or end game content so I might get to that last, it's pretty simple too.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Level 50 eh? I'm in Moria and right around there. Maybe we could get an on-level group to run them and then the Moria instances? I know that's a lot to ask but hopefully we'll see a small flourish of activity soon due to server transfers.

I can't remember what level you need for the watcher but it's in the 50s, when you hit that post here and with a decent strategy 2-3 level 100s can kill him for you in a couple of minutes. As far as the grand stair and the other instances so, it's been so long that I might not remember my way around but I'd help with those too. What's your name/class? For the watcher, you really just need a couple of champs spamming ferocious strikes on him to keep his buffs off, and obviously everyone needs to bring some food and a potion or two if you don't have a healer.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Nindurred - Champ. The one thing is that I kind of want to do it with an at-level party. I know that's a LOT to ask since none of the content gets scaled (gently caress you Turbine! :argh:) but I'm interested in "raidin' for realz!" and getting the experience you would have gotten back in the day.

That will pretty much almost definitely require you to wait for the new servers, some of the old instances actually do scale but that isn't one of them. You'd almost have to set a date like a month from now requesting a lot of people, but none of them under level 50 or over level 60 all meet you online for an even that might result in dying a bunch of times even with new gear and buffs and stuff. But if that fails and you still want to see every inch of Moria, you know who to call Thorin Oakenshield at your service etc etc

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Conskill posted:

The new thread piqued my interest, so I loaded up LOTRO for the first time in a year. Immediate thoughts.

1) I left myself on a goddamn cliff surrounded by succubi somewhere in Moria. I have no idea what the Christ I'm doing anymore.
2) No one else in the kinship is on-line. Aww.

What level are you? There's a good amount of level 30s and 100s playing again, with some scattered in between. Also maybe I should add it to the thread, which I'll update soon but everyone post your character name if you're new or returning to the game and want some silver coins and pipeweed, also to the player Nazgun of the kin Nazgun: If you do not get level 100 tomorrow your kin party is canceled and I sell all the pipeweed and buy a mithril pocket watch or something.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

shirunei posted:

I bought moria years ago when things were more lenient for subscribers it is possible to level to that xpacs content without paying money or am i boned?

Yes and no, what level are you and how many turbine points are on your account? Ever buy any quest packs? Depending on those answers and if you mind running some deeds, you can get to level 48 (entrance to Moria quest line in Eregion) for I don't know... zero to ten dollars?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

moebius2778 posted:

There's also skirmish grinding just to get high enough level.

True, we always get similar questions and it's really hard to answer because the real range of the answer is always: Everything is absolutely free if you used to win lotteries, twitter contests, or just have time to grind. Everything is worth just going VIP for if you have no time, no points built up, etc.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Those sound about right, Misty Mountains is way better than Forochel just purely for being actual lore stuff you'll know from the books, even if Forochel has actual Scandinavian sunsets and cool goofy spelled names and poo poo. Also I believe a few more ways to travel through Trollshaws was part of it's revamp update, so I'll once again say I love that area.

Congratulations to the creative player who named his character after the kin Nazgun, who hit level 100 tonight folks. Live your dreams.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

That was part of a planned update, not 100% sure that it made it into the game since I haven't run a character through there in years. All that Trollshaws needed was a few more horse routes and some more quests and it would be a great zone. It's definitely one of the prettiest environments in the game, second only to the Shire in my opinion.

I really like Gondor, to me it's like they took Rohan and said "ok these people have that but better architects and also the sea".

Also Nazgun: Are you trying to gear up now? I'm always up for running Pelargir, the two man version of it is actually your most efficient and easy way to get the best jewelry and essences in game right now in terms of time/effort/reward. I still run the six man version too, but the loot never really seems better and there's a really good chance one person in the group will do something dumb enough to bring your rating from platinum down to gold, where as I hit platinum effortlessly in the two man since I'm pretty geared and so are my buds.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Bert_Bartleby

New Bingo Boffin rewards are in game, don't click if knowing what you get for helping a fat shut in hobbit go on his adventure is considered a spoiler! I believe the pet is just a recolor of a central Gondor pet, so today is a good day for children and sheep lovers and a bad day for cosmetic pet hustlers of the auction house.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Will the horse trader dude still be selling the older rewards back in Michel Delving? Had I known it was a one time thing I'd of picked up the rabbit too.

I believe he is in both spots, selling separate things, but can't remember for sure. Almost sure of it. Even if not, you could get the rabbit in ten minutes on an alt, mail it to your main, so far none of the Bingo pets have been BOA.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It really depends. As a kin I don't think we're by any means across the board level 100's. Most players have characters all across the board, and my personal goal is to get one to permanently stay at Moria level, since those are the best instances that haven't been scaled.

Even then once the server is more populated I'm sure you'll be able to find people at your level to run things with.

Did you run the raid content between Mirkwood and Rohan? I'm with you on Moria having very cool content, but I can't imagine nostalgia keeping me from the rest of the game. Ost Dunhoth had some really cool raids, I remember killing enemies in a hallway at a rapid speed to avoid being killed by oncoming trained oliphaunts as a way to get end game gear, which was pretty great and hard too. Draigoch was great at the time, haven't been back. And all of the Erebor content was really fun, that was Rohan era content but suddenly all just happened to be themed for the upcoming Hobbit movies, oddly enough while the decision was done for marketing the content was really fun anyway.

Also ruffz are you sure symbols are actually selling at 150, or just listed at 150? I went through 6 to get the axe I wanted, and even recently I've seen people still sell at 70-90g in world chat. If you can actually get 150 then sure people should sell them now and buy cheap later, but I've had people in world chat just give me those and refuse to let me pay because if you run end game content you loot them faster than new players are hitting level 100, there's always a slight surplus that increases the longer an expansion has been out. If you do get one from the epic line I haven't gotten it yet, I forget where I'm at but I think like book 3 chapter 6?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Nice lifetime account humblebrag. It hurts. I had two chances. "How long could I play the same video game, fun or not?" I asked myself.

Also I would think the easiest way to check your quest packs is just hit ctrl-s in game for the store, open up the quest packs section. Assuming you are not VIP while searching (VIP gives access to them meaning you can't buy them while VIP since you own them at that moment) then any quest packs still visible are ones you do not own. I guess that is still a little confusing since there are a lot of them, but still a sure way to count which you have and which you need.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Also Beorning class is currently on sale for 750 TP if anyone is interested in either being a big bad bear in a group, or soloing roving threats just mauling through the fuckers by yourself.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zipline posted:

Hm, this can't be right. The Turbine page says I only own Shadows of Angmar Guest and Standard and Mines of Moria. But I had several thousand TP from months of VIP a few years ago and I remember buying two (IIRC) expansions with them last year or the year before when they were on sale. I only have like 300 TP now so I know I spent it. But it doesn't show it...

EDIT: I'm going to try the "see what I cannot buy" trick.

I think that page only counts things added as codes into that page, so when the turbine store was added everything you bought since will be in your records there instead. I think there's actually emails sent and some kind of in-store records too, I just can't remember using any method other than that one.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AskYourself posted:

I figured back then that I would probably play at least 1 or 2 years if the game was any good. Plus I was and still am a Tolkien fan so the odds were very much in my favor so I took the plunge and got the lifetime plans. I still had to buy the expansions so I did spent a couple hundreds bucks on this game. It's all worth it for sure.

Oh and I ran Pelagir in a fellowship for the first time today and it was fun, we got platinum achievement and I was lucky enough to get an Elder king symbol !! So I crafted myself a first age book woot woot :)

Pel duo and six man are on separate cooldowns for the best daily loot, so if you don't get bored run both daily. Also the duo is super easy to hit plat on. And grats on your symbol, not sure of the odds but probably something like 1 person per 10 runs.

Innerguard posted:

Returning after a few years away. Have Nazgun actually moved over to Landroval yet?

Nope, I wanted a good thread title and did not predict a delay from Turbine :) I will update it once we have more info though, or just post it here if it's small news. Post your name if you need some pipeweed or gold! And welcome back.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
My turn for a humblebrag: Of all those who claim the game is easy now, how many have chased the mysterious figure through The Ruined City and returned to the halls of your ancestors bearing treasure? (On tier II). Alright I admit it wasn't actually super hard, but it is a long final boss fight and you gotta have tons of gear and poo poo to even get people to invite you to a group.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Warden's seem to be more hands-on since you have to remember gambit's and all. LM's are face roll as all hell thanks to pets, but also super squishy. Champions can take most things on with no issue and will kill pretty quickly but I found them more skill pattern repetition than hunters, probably cause I played it badly.

No I can confirm that the end game champion is mostly gear based and while always staying in range and learning some finer tips and tricks definitely are helpful, the main focus of the most popular champion spec (red line two handers) is to hit devastating strike, then remorseless strike after. This is excluding hitting one of your smaller abilities for fervor build up, or just hitting the fervor spec button, and a bunch of other self buffs, but to really simplify it it's maybe 5 essential buttons. But like anything, to be really good at it does ramp up the number of things you have to know, buttons to press. If you clobber halfway through a big long animation skill, it immediately finishes it and clobbers, but then your only reliable and instant interrupt is now on cooldown.

I've got a hunter too and I don't think I'd say it's harder, but it does seem to have more builds/specs/options and buttons available to it. Not having to ever worry about being in range or turning around a lot is pretty amazing though, and I'm not sure currently who does more damage.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 30, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Evil Fluffy posted:

This should be in the OP in a size 96 Blingee font/gif. It's one of the best things you can do both for gear and for some nice challenge that comes of facing red enemies.

Getting to 33 can also get you most (maybe all) the TP you need to buy Evendim, which will get you to 40-41.

I can definitely add more stuff I've got some pms with ideas for how much to put in, I was just hoping I could keep it brief and we could all ask these things in kin chat or voice chat, but the people have spoken and I will slowly add more stuff. I do not have size 96 font blingees nor do I think they are a respectable thing so I have instead added a really ridiculous Beorn gif instead, maybe I will introduce each class with a tumblr gif and then a sentence about it, just to make sure cell phone people owe extra data money for browsing this thread.

Also if any level 100s need a first age symbol, I looted one tonight and it's yours if you use it before my alts get hungry!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Granny posted:

Have they abandoned mounted combat yet?

They don't center anything around it anymore and in Gondor it's up to you if you want to use a regular mount or a war steed, so they kind of quietly acknowledged the people and made it an optional function instead of a selling point. I use it only when I plan on fighting in high level areas or just hitting that turbo button on a heavy warsteed to run past 100 mobs without dying. So they didn't remove it, but no you don't really have to give a poo poo about it either.

owl milk posted:

played this a while ago and i remember the optimal deed grinding was making new characters to do the low level ones over and over since they gave the same amount of points but had a much lower requirement (eg kill 10 boars instead of kill 50 giant boars). you could also just level several characters at once if you want to keep them though that's a bit slower

I think I posted about this in the old thread, but to refresh it everyone just got two free character slots to prepare for transfers, so if you are trying to save cash and that's more important than getting a character to level 100 that's two more slots you can make level 20s on, keep in mind not only will you earn some TP by the time each alt hits 20 but you can then mail your alts reputation items from the auction hall or your main. The two you can just right click and max out to kindred at level 20 (minimum) are Bree and The Mathom House. I think Thorin's Hall is 35, so 20 is the real apex in terms of easy money. 5/10/15/20 turbine points for each, so that's essentially 100 turbine points without spending anything, plus a couple hundred you'll probably get from deeds and class (use your main skill 100 times) type of deeds.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 31, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

I'm starting to get active on my guardian Ithoran again, if you still have that symbol I'd love you forever if I could use it. :bigtran: Just have to get my burglar's weaponsmithing guild rep up before I could craft it.

You signed off as I signed in, guess I have to throw this thing in the pools of the dead marshes and see if it skips like a flat stone. RIP

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Conskill posted:

Tell me more about bears. I unlocked them because I have more points accumulated than sense, but I'm not sure I should actually give up my level 51 Manburgler to start one. Are they fun? Any neat utility?

I'm new to them but I run end game content with a few and the main appeal beyond just the aesthetic of being a bear is the mechanics are very good, you can essentially do almost champion DPS numbers while healing yourself if you go redline with a few points into the I believe yellow line has the self heals.

They also make good tanks that can heal themselves, but I believe not as good as guards in terms of pure defense. Basically the ability to actually heal yourself while not being a healer, kind of like a champion if 'bracing attack' was both very good and had a shorter cooldown.

All 3 trait lines are good enough to use, though end game it sounds like red with a little yellow is the one people use to solo roving threats. Funny abilities like stirring an animated pot of honey to make your own food, swarming your enemy with bees, clawing through them, etc.

tldr: they're fuckin good & fun

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm entirely new to this and giving it a try because I have a bit of spare time and a lovely, old computer that won't run anything made in the last 2 years.

Can someone give a rundown on the classes? Are there any that are good for a newbie or any that are terrible?

I'm the lazy idiot student guy who hasn't updated the OP with those enough, so if you don't want to spend the cash to play the beorning master race, check this out, click race then you can browse the classes.

http://www.lotro.com/en/explore/characters

In terms of a new player leveling up you can really do it with any class, since we haven't merged to a big server yet you might want one that solos quickly with a lot of damage (hunter, champion) but honestly the early levels are easy enough that you should just pick one based on the description and your favorite race and see if you like it. The premium/paid classes are runekeeper, warden and beorning, so anyone but those if you want to keep it to zero dollars for a few weeks/months.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Richard M Nixon posted:

Great. I just logged in for the first time in almost half a year. Yay.

So nobody has transferred off yet, it looks? I saw info on the kin transfer but there's info scattered all over the forums and I couldn't tell what was up-to-date. Do we know exactly how this will work? Does everyone hold off on xfers until the kin leader initiates a transfer, then everyone else goes ahead and kicks it off?

I guess I'll have to keep checking the thread to make sure I don't ignore the window and miss the chance.

In other news, FF14 is a loving awesome MMO and sucked up almost as much time as LOTRO did. Less money, though...

I'm running late so I'll edit this for the new guy too, don't pick warden it costs money and is for nerds btw, but transfers for Silverlode are like 6-8 weeks off now (we're at the end of the list) so don't worry about it yet. Yes we know how it'll work, it's mostly explained on lotro.com and the forums. It's free, you choose which characters and if you want your account shared stuff to go to which server, click some buttons, boom. Housing items will transfer, house will transfer, etc. Also new guy if you pick a healing or tank class and are good at it end game I will make you rich, so consider your possible wealth! Or play what's fun.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was eyeballing either the captain or guardian. I've been dicking around with the captain right now, but any compelling reason why the guardian might be more interestin / more fun?

Any of them can be fun, guardian is currently kind of overpowered in the end game because they're tanky as hell even when they drop shield, trait red line and swing a great axe. Then with very little effort they can go back to being the tank of the current 3 man end game content, The Ruined City (Tier 2). Even with it being really good at 100, that only matters if you enjoy the class (or maybe the quests and the world despite the class) enough to hit 100 though. I'm not saying go guardian instead of captain, just that it's more desired by the kin and the server.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If anyone feels like doing the Farmer's Fair for cosmetics, mounts, housing items, potions, whatever you'd like, it's mostly a just for fun event that's probably going on for a few more days I imagine. The best ones for earning tokens are the one hour cooldown Mushroom Hunt (pro tip: stare at minimap, avoid all dogs, press delete to select nearest object and your use button to run to it) or the Egg Scramble, both are fun and both have an hour cooldown so if you want to play your main seriously, just park your alts there.

I've got some dumb screenshots from eating a ton of the colored mushrooms but that'd be a spoiler, so just go eat a bunch of mushrooms!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Richard M Nixon posted:

If you're not using it, HugeBag is a great addon to give you a single unified bag, and it allows you to one-click merge items into a stack and sort items by category. It's been broken for a while and won't sort some newer items, so I made a patch for it.

Download the addon here
And my patch here

While cool, isn't every single feature of that in the game now? You can click the gear on bag 1, max it out, put no slots in the other bags, and boom, one huge bag, the game has a sort option by default too now.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Richard M Nixon posted:

I ran into an issue when I realized that my carefully laid plans to extract all needed legacies from pre-imbued LIs wouldn't work on my FA as I can only do major->major. gently caress. MC had to be frivolously spent on filling the FA with good poo poo. Now, the grind of levels begins. I didn't realize how much it would cost to start opening the rest of the tiers. Maybe grinding for coins or marks would be a smarter option...

Glinghant runs are the best way to get marks to then barter for anfalas scrolls of empowerment, they usually sell for around 50g each on the auction, and you can also barter silver/gold Dol Amroth coins for them. I'd say some combination of all of those + turbine points if you have them is your safest bet.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

loving :laffo: drank beer in the guild house ended up in the misty mountains surrounded by Giants 30 lvls higher than me.

10/10 would go on s bender again

Which keg takes you to the Misty Mountains? I've only got the Moria keg and the Inn League keg in my house and it would own to have a quick port there (even if it is RNG).

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm having a blast with guardian.

Edit I meant to ask: is guardian just obscenely durable even for a tank or are low level fellowship quests jokes? I've yet to find something by lvl 19 that I can't solo

The game is mostly easy for a while due to stat changes over time, promotional items, class changes, and while they could change it back to the way it was I imagine they like new players not becoming discouraged and will probably keep the first half of the levels pretty easy. Also if you actually tank well instead of going two handers you will become the hero of the kin!

Rocketpriest posted:

Since I still can't figure out what class I want to commit to, I decided to sub for a month and make one of everything and level it to 20 to get a taste of it/free riding/all my trait slots. Loremaster was pretty good, except for the weird 'stuck in place' thing some cast-bar spells do for a split second after the cast ends when I really want to be moving in to whack thing with the staff, Champion had even better kill speed than the Loremaster... But what the gently caress is going on with Minstrel? It's like I entered a goddamn cheat code or something. I have 3 different buttons that are one-hit kills on even-con mobs. Granted, one of them takes building up with the ballad buffs, but those skills two-shot poo poo anyway, so who cares? I almost don't want to play it anymore because it just feels broken. I may end up going the Guardian route, now that they have early ranged weapon access and they just seem to get a lot more easy offensive power than they used to. I dunno, I don't have to make my final decision until everyone can ride a horse :v:

It's hard to get a feel for a class even by 20 since it changes a lot by 100 and there's 3 trait lines per class. I haven't seen any good dps minstrels end game so that's probably just how they scale, probably 90 percent of minstrels go full heals. In terms of end game versatility, LMs are pretty good right now. Also I'm writing a letter to turbine now to cut down guardian DPS you people are ridiculous with your optimum tank class that is also a champion and always refuses to tank for us.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 7, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Richard M Nixon posted:

I think it's the inn league. It'll send to to a huge list of random places.

Oh actual inn league stuff, I'm a dwarf and I've got the defiled version of that keg we smashed up or some poo poo, which now seems less cool because it doesn't serve beer or do actually anything.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tamayachi posted:

This is such an odd game, I have like every expansion for it but I never seem to stick around past like level 20. I think with this server merger I'll jump back in and give it an honest to god shot all the way to the endgame. What class is most in demand right now for groups, or does it not really matter at this point and I should just roll whatever?

The feel good answer is of course to pick whatever you like most, but because right now the most popular of the end game content is all 3 man and 6 man, and the 6 man stuff is even more crazy hard than the 3 man, it means 3 man groups are needed to be a top contender (in pve, not pvp).

You can of course complete this with any class, but you will have the easiest time being invited to groups if you are a good guardian or a good minstrel. But back to feel goods, beornings solo roving threats like a tough rear end fuckin' bear, champs are amazing DPS even if people have pointed out, they are more repetitive and a bit harder to play than a hunter, and DPS in general will always be more competitive to find group slots than being a good tank or healer.

Once you settle on a character feel free to post your name and claim your pipeweed and gold from me, then as you level up higher there are few cool goons beside me giving away gear lately too.

edit

I should mention if it takes you til the end of the year to hit 100, then Minas Tirith comes out by then, they could possibly be adding 12 man raids back into the game, but it will more than likely still be mostly 3 and 6 man for PVE, and however many as you can bring for PVP. Even then, Guardian/Minstrel are the demand probably. I've heard the level cap will not raise though, so it'll still be 100 just more content for gear and cool experiences and quests to come.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Zipline posted:

IDK what to level. I got bored of my Hunter main, which is 40, and bought the Beorning. He's at 19 and I'm enjoying it but I hear the class is super gimped at cap. Is that true? In that case I might focus on a Minstrel of Guardian.

I'd say super gimped is unfair, I've seen beornings who do probably 80 percent as much DPS as my champ, all while requiring less heals (can heal yourself and dps), so they still do several solo/tank type roles better than DPS classes can. At level 20 a beorning is like a level 40, but at level 100 I'd agree they stop being gods and just balance out into being a drat good class.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

Been going through Osgiliath slowly the past couple days. This place reminds me of Moria 1.0 with the high mob density, plus there's a fair amount of roaming Signatures and even Elites. Always nice to have a little challenge in the solo game. The whole Eastern Gondor update has been pretty well done in my opinion. It definitely feels like war is in the air and poo poo is about to go down. It's pretty cool being able to look out from a vantage point and see the Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith in the distance.

It definitely has the look and feel maybe even more realistic and grim than the films showed, it seems like even when Gandalf wasn't around the looming shadow of Mordor didn't really fill up many places in the films other than Minas Morgul was pretty accurate to what I imagined, I loved the films but it's just a big compliment to the game that I play even on week days when there's a dozen level 100s online. You might be further along than I am in the questline, I haven't actually seen Pelennor or Minas Tirith in the distance yet but I love the black shadow with red clouds and the occasional lightning bolt to make me feel like the toughest motherfucker this far east.

Also, a singled Ruined City run today and I finally looted this.

lovely screenshot quality and missing two more supreme essence, but the grind is still fun to me. This is what I do instead of updating the op, but I will continue to divide my treasure between our fine members. Except the best stuff, that's bind on acquire, suckers.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Well that loving owns, crazy to think the actual city we get seems like it's going to be bigger than that.

AskYourself posted:

Is that from a t1 or t2 run ?

T2, the only thing you get from T1 is exploring a cool new spooky place and laughing at the troll fight, no loot worth the time. I know I sound like a Turbine salesman but beorning yellow line can heal T2 to the point where you can get hit by several of the timed (every 70 seconds) 20k hits in a row and not die. My group I've done it 3 times with now successfully has been bear healer, guardian tank, champion dps. It seems like the bears damage falls off late game, many of it's abilities are actually based on the champion so as a DPS class it's a fun, more tanky slightly lower DPS champ. As a healer though? Thing is a beast.

Might provides both physical and tactical mastery, and since bears dps with physical and heal with tactical it means you can be an amazing healer without changing almost any of your gear. Also explains why they always survive solo content, and the +25 percent movespeed in bear form helps for the 'run to the troll or the last boss' tactic for T2 Ruined City.

Also I really want to make a kin named Goondor on Landroval with my bear, but I don't want to distract people away from Silverlode too early.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 17, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AskYourself posted:

I'd like to try that soon but there's no chatter about it in /world and I don't have the guts to lead a t2 yet since I haven't even ran it once yet.

I organized and lead Retaking Pelagir fellowship and got everything plat ! Felt good the first time :) My gearing up is doing good too, The only purple I have left is my off-hand, apart from that and my class item everything is teal and gold. I'm close to 20,000 morale too !

I looked on the AH for these two slots but no luck so far. Does Sammy drop a teal 1h sword ? Also if someone can craft a better ranged item please let me know.

It's true, I get that bad rear end feeling questing in Gondor, it's a very different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Being level 100 also is motivating, having 3 digits in your level and all that. It's been great experience coming back.

It's definitely a bit hard to find a group, depending on what time you're going to be online and if you plan to heal or dps it, I can't see your mitigations in that screenshot but especially for a cloth dps you probably need them above 50 percent. I know the best champ offhand sword in the game is from RC, I imagine there is some LM equivalent but I haven't checked wiki or seen one drop. Also grats on your gear, seems like you're getting it done pretty quickly!

Other than that I'd just get another slotted piece of gear and put whichever mitigation you're currently lower on (tactical or physical) as well as a greater morale if you can find another. I would recommend the roving threats trinket as it's got two slots and can be farmed in an evening with a good group.

Would any of you be up for roving threat groups one evening a week? Probably run them for about 90 minutes to 2 hours, it's quickest if we have one captain and one hunter for ports and speed. For the quests you mostly need to be level 100. The nice thing is even if only 4 people show up, we do a weaker region. If 10 people show up and it's a good variety of classes, we stomp like two regions or 8 threats total in no time.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

What is the word on plugins? Are there any that are must-haves or at least major quality of life improvements?

I've still never even tried one, bags are fully customized in the UI by clicking the little gear on your first bag (we had a guy a few pages back who didn't know this and put his heart and soul into updating a bag plugin, rip that guy). In terms of co-ordinates some people use one that tracks roving threats for you, but even that's real lazy and unnecessary in a game with a built in co-ordinate system and a pretty good map interface.

edit

Ctrl+\ is the command to move around just about every single thing on your UI, and the options have a searchbar to make finding options easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been running red as a sword and board guard. You have enough armor that you really ft need the self heal until well after you get catch a breath and the odd oh gently caress situation can be handled with Putins. I suspect I'll respec blue when group tanking becomes a thing I do but my current solution works great through 48 so far.

Edit. Leaving that autocorrect typo because it's awesome.

It's a good idea to give a week to every spec, even the one regarded as the worst one by the community for your class, just so you know which 1 or 2 points you might want from that once you're level 100 and have already filled up the ones in your favorite line. No matter how many Putins I bring, the tactical resistance in the champion's blue line has saved me from being one shot a time or two.

So the 29th Riddermark and one other server opens up for transfer, I have a mid level character there from years ago I will transfer to one of the other servers and report here how smoothly it went, email info, times, etc, it will be different for everyone but it'll be relaxing to get an idea of how it's working currently.

Also I made a kin on Landroval called Goondor, post your Landy alts names here if you want an invite. Not going to build up the kin, just a fun name to have since I know we used to have about 5 of us with Beornings to test out on Landy. Non-bears are welcome but will be talked down to.