Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Kororinpa's a solid little Wii game. It's a well-known type of game given a fresh spin with the advent of motion controls, has a decent swathe of content, and is satisfyingly challenging in the late game. And also if you go for all the gold trophies.

This is hopefully going to be a pretty lighthearted LP, just so I can share this forgotten game from early in the console generation. To help make things more interesting, I'd like you to help me pick which balls to use in each update! There are a bunch of different balls that have varying stats, and I tended to never stray far from the starting balls because of their all-around ease of use, so I'm looking forward to being challenged by how the votes turn out. To make sure we see all of the balls, once I use a ball, it will be excluded from future votes.

Currently available balls:

Marble - Nice and easy

The marble is our starting ball. It's simple, slow, it doesn't have any surprises, and is very easy to control, like driving in first gear.

Ladybug - Nice and easy

The ladybug is a little slower than the marble, but otherwise controls the same. Its ability to move smoothly with a non-spherical body is quite impressive.

The animals - Cute sounds
Cat, Dog, Penguin, Pig, Frog

The animals are slower than the marble, and don't bounce as much.
The slow movement can be a little time-consuming, since the marble is slow enough, but they make up for it by being the most adorable things in existence.

Candy - A bit faster

The candy ball is a little more fast and slippery than the marble, but is otherwise a sweet choice for beginners to the game.

Sportsballs - Fast/Bit jumpy/Hard to roll
Soccer Ball, Basketball, Rugby Ball

The sports balls move a little faster than the candy, but they have more grip, and aren't too hard to control – when they're on the ground.

Watermelon - Fast/bit slippy

The watermelon is pretty fast, but doesn't respond well to your inputs: when it picks up speed, it likes to stay that fast.

Car-Crunch - Quick enough?

The yellow cab service in Kororinpa is vicious. This *ahem* ball is so fast it usually ends up crashing into walls.

Gas Tank - Fast/bit heavy

The gas tank is pretty fast, but its weight makes it take awhile to build up to its top speed. Good luck stopping in a hurry with this one. On the plus side, it barely bounces!

UFO - For veterans

They go hardcore out in space: this little guy is fast and responsive, but also incredibly easy to lose control of. You need a steady hand to keep the ball moving where you want it.

Interstellar bodies - FAST but HEAVY
Saturn, Galaxy

How these work isn't important, what is important is that these things can move at over 30,000kph (to scale). They take awhile to build up speed, they take awhile to stop, and they drop like rocks. Spherical rocks, to be precise. Rocks with very little angular drag.

Charlie - Won't stop?!

It's too fast! The slightest touch will start Charlie rolling all over the place, and once he starts moving, he doesn't like to stop. Worse still, he doesn't stop complaining when he's rolling around!

Panda - Last resort

It's too slow! The panda is so lazy, it barely moves when you tilt the stage. You're in no danger of falling off, but you might die of old age before you make it to the goal.

Flash Ball - ???

A novelty, the flash ball can be fully edited to have whatever stats you want! There's no better way to go after the time trials.

-

Drop in your votes, sit back, and enjoy this tasty little morsel of a game.

Part 01: Out For A St-roll
Part 02: Never Know Waddle Do Next
Part 03: Sweet Moves
Part 04: I Candy Do Anything
Part 05: Swish I Had A Basketball Pun
Part 06: Crunch Time
Part 07: Meow We're Talking
Part 08: Tanks For Nothing
Part 09: This Game Won't Beetle Me
Part 10: A Ribbiting Challenge For The Melon, Babe
Part 11: Not Enough Space For All These Jokes

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It's a good thing there wasn't a tie, 'cause then they'd have to share the limelight.

Not a lot happens in this one, but now that we're out of the Park, things should get more interesting. And I'm not actively going for the green gems because I'm waiting for a later ball to grab them; if that's annoying people, I can snag them in the videos with whatever ball I'm using at the time.

Part 02: Never Know Waddle Do Next

Up for vote now: Ladybug, Cat, Candy, Dog, Pig, Frog

Some of the later balls are going to make puns pretty tough, I'm now realising.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Reassessed my plan and I don't need to wait to get the green gems, so now that we've eased into the game, I'll be getting green gems as they come up.

Part 03: Sweet Moves

Balls up for vote: Ladybug, Cat, Dog, Pig, Frog, Soccer ball, Basketball, Rugby ball

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I don't want to skew the results of the votes for this round, but y'all are gonna feel pretty silly if you vote for a certain ball.

Part 04: I Candy Do Anything

Balls available: Ladybug, Cat, Dog, Pig, Frog, Soccer Ball, Basketball, Watermelon, Car-Crunch, UFO

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Sorry for taking awhile, even though it's a short video. On an entirely unrelated note, I started a slightly bigger LP.

If I had remembered to take my basketball with me when I moved out of my last place, I would absolutely have shot some footage of me demonstrating exactly how skilled I am.

Part 05: Swish I Had A Basketball Pun

Up for vote: Ladybug, Cat, Dog, Pig, Frog, Soccer ball, Watermelon, Car-Crunch, Gas tank, UFO

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
No sense in waiting around for this one, I think the result is clear.

Part 06: Crunch Time

Up for vote: Ladybug, Cat, Dog, Pig, Frog, Soccer ball, Watermelon, Gas tank, UFO, Saturn

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Carbon dioxide posted:

IIRC, if you want to give him a real challenge, keep some of the harder balls available for the secret levels.

More along the lines of "the secret levels ramp up in difficulty at the same pace as the regular game", but I double checked, and that's not really the case. The secret levels only get about as hard as the early Day Town levels, so make of that what you will when picking balls for me to use in the main game.

Part 07: Meow We're Talking

Up for vote: Ladybug, Dog, Pig, Frog, Soccer ball, Watermelon, Gas tank, UFO, Saturn

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Five posted:

But I want to save the UFO and Saturn for last.

Not picking those for the next video; I think that's a respectable desire.

If the commentary sounds a little weird, it's probably my cold.

Part 08 - Tanks For Nothing

Up for vote: Ladybug, Dog, Pig, Frog, Soccer ball, Watermelon, UFO, Saturn, Galaxy. And that's definitely everything we unlocked, so that's what you can vote on.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
While I get the next video sorted out, I'll take the vote preemptively this time:

Knowing that they get about as hard as early Day Town and that the remaining balls will be used for the final levels of the game, which three balls of the currently available ones (Dog, Pig, Frog, Soccer ball, Watermelon, UFO, Saturn, Galaxy, and certainly nothing else) do you want to see used in the secret levels?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

azsedcf posted:

The cute must play. Dog, Pig, Frog.

Not to try to influence the vote or anything, but I endorse this message.

Part 09: This Game Won't Beetle Me

The vote is still open, if you have three balls in particular that you want to see used for the secret levels.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Skippy Granola posted:

It ain't Guinea, but my heart belongs to Pig

Well, unfortunately, there aren't enough votes for me to use it in this video.

quote:

Also Pig

Look, you're a charismatic fellow, I'll give you that, but my hands are tied on this, I can't do it.

quote:

Definitely PIG

Fine, I'll do it. You're just so persuasive.

Part 10: A Ribbiting Challenge For The Melon, Babe

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Are there any other Hudson cameos or the like hidden in this game?

Funny you should mention that.

No voting this time, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and bold some words.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 18, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Skippy Granola posted:

But you do need to explain in detail why you dislike Charlie so much

Because I haven't just been playing this videogame, but I've been playing all of you! For fools!

Part 11: Not Enough Space For All These Jokes

That's the end of Kororinpa: that file only has about 70% completion on it, but the other 30% is just beating all of the levels in mirror mode.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Cheers.

http://lparchive.org/Kororinpa/

• Locked thread