Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

presuming this thread is still open for suggestions i will recommend

peking opera blues
farewell my concubine
millennium mambo
still life
like someone in love

also linda linda linda is really great and charming, its pretty hard to hate. one of the best teen movies really. i'm not gonna watch it again cuz i watched it like 2 weeks ago. its cool how obvious it is that kyoani loves it (not only k-on but live alive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

its cool that the director of academy award winning film departures used to direct pink films in the 80s

maybe we should include some ozu or naruse or oshima for the babies in the thread. i will suggest late spring and when a woman ascends the stairs and in the realm of the senses respectively

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Ka0 posted:

What's a good japanese movie with pretty women.

woman in the dunes

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

2046 is one of wkw's least coherent movies and should be saved until after watching in the mood for love. it works best as a director's response to the (western) critical reception of that movie

seconding lily chou chou. people here will probably like it. especially eva fans.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Discounting the US cut of The Grandmaster (which shouldn't exist in the first place (gently caress you Weinsteins)) its probably second or third. My Blueberry Nights is his weakest, and As Tears Go By is weak on the basis that it shows its seams as a First Movie. This is all relative of course these are only weak in comparison to some of the best and most well regarded movies of the past 30 years. But its interesting to consider wkw's place in the western critical canon because he is seen as a luminary director over here while in hk he is regarded as just an ok one especially compared to contemporaries like. Ann Hui, Tsui Hark, his mentor Patrick Tam. etc.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

In Training posted:

The OP of this thread houses a pretty insane list of movies...can't wait to see what's next

Love Exposure and Yi Yi are the two best non Disappearance of Haruhi movies of the 21st century. I'm excited

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

pulse is a formalist masterpiece

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

hell ya

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i haven't watched bird people in china yet (sorry) but i will before sunday and i will hopefully have things to say about it

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

everyone who watches lily chou chou should keep eva 24 and rebuild 3 in mind while watching it for a better depth of understanding. also shunji iwai and hideaki anno are friends irl. thats cool

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

oh ya i watched both of these. the bird people in china was good it put me in the same mindset as like fitzcarraldo or something similar. really beautiful and lyrical but you can see shades of miikes weirdness poking through. i was only really familiar with his more notorious movies before watching it but its good to know he has breadth to match his depth

lily chou chou was just as harrowing as remember it being from high school tho, if not gaining more resonance the further away i've gotten from my teen years. raw stuff really aided by the digital cinematography like a dogme movie. i dont think it has anything particularly new or unique to say about the teen experience that hasnt already been said by lots of other tv shows/movies but rather its in the way that it communicates these things and the brunt of its emotional thrust is in how real it feels. its a good one to watch if you like being emotionally devastated and makes a nice contrast with linda linda linda

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 11, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

prefuse can you add flowers of shanghai to the list. thanks

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i've watched it before and it's probably the best movie about making movies that isn't 8 1/2 but i'm gonna watch it again

sion sonowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

you should watch love exposure immediately. or whenever prefuse selects it for this thread. its one of the best and most ambitious and audacious movies of the 21st century so far. i also like noriko's dinner table and cold fish. sono is good but he has sort of gone full miike this year and i havent kept up

ill probably watch this tomorrow

• Locked thread