Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

The Anime Fans of ADTRW Take on the Real World!! Ganbatte!!

live action films...they're like anime...but real!! we all know about our impeccable taste in anime (akikan FTW) but how about films? More specifically: Asian Films!!! there's a lot of poo poo i could write about asian filmmaking but you didn't sign up for a history lesson so let's get down to the details.

What
We'll be watching (good) live action asian films every week and then posting about them in detail. then we'll go get some nandos

When
the next movie gets posted in the weekend and then you watch it whenever!!! woo!!!

Films?
suggest a movie if you want to watch it with everyone! the upcoming movies list is always open. i pick the next movie we watch semi-randomly but if everyone wants to see a specific movie let me know.

How?
buy the movie or get it some other way.(torrent links are allowed if teh movies unlicensed !!!)

Current Upcoming Movies Pool

quote:

Tamako in Moratorium
Memories of Murder
Branded to Kill
As One
Love Exposure
Kagemusha
Love & Pop (made by Anno...WOW!)
Thirst (2009)
Noroi
In the Mood For Love
Chungking Express
Yi Yi
The Hole
Stray Dogs
Vive Lamour
Last Life in the Universe
Save the Green Planet
3 Idiots
Fallen Angels
The Face of Another
Survive Style 5+
Oh! My Zombie Mermaid
Occult
Ryu ga Gotoku
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (lol)
Rajio no Jikan
Happiness of the Katakuris
Harakiri (1962)
House
The Man from Nowhere
Mother
The Chaser
Adrift in Tokyo
Kamikaze Girls
Drunken Master
Peking Opera Blues
Farewell My Concubine
Millennium Mambo
Still Life
Like Someone In Love
Ikiru
Departures
The Kids' Return
Late Spring
When A Woman Ascends The Stairs
In The Realm Of The Senses
Sha Po Lang
Eat Drink Man Woman
2LDK+Aragami (Duel Project)
Flowers of Shanghai
Tokyo!

Movies we've watched so far:

western film culture has become degenerate. the asian film industry is the last hope of a dying medium (´・ω・`) - Daniel Lopatin

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Movie #1: Linda! Linda! Linda! (2005)

Pinda! Pinda! Pinda! (リンダ リンダ リンダ) is a movie about a group of teenagers getting together to play some cool rear end songs. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kBdIG-NcY) It's a film by Nobuhiro Yamashita who's known for his films about young people feeling lost in life. His movies always invoke a strong sense of melancholia in me. I haven't seen the movie yet either so i'm not gonna write too much here. Just don't expect it to be exactly like K-on!

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNEeKAJQ-qY
discussion starts here

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 23, 2015

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Can we add movies to the pool? If so, I'd like to add Bird People in China. It's really good, and doesn't have crazy violence in it like you'd expect from a Miike movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd11Yxpa8IM
yeah you can! i'll add it to the list

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i'd like to add Thirst (2009) and Noroi to the pool, if possible.

Parallax posted:

list needs more non-Japan/SK films, so: In the Mood For Love, Chungking Express, Yi Yi, The Hole

In Training posted:

Stray Dogs, if you want to do some extremely slow movies. Or vive lamour which a bit more palatable.

boom boom boom posted:

Last Life in the Universe, Save the Green Planet

Davincie posted:

3 idiots, fallen angels
added em

In Training posted:

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
cant believe i forgot about this one. added and i ordered a blu-ray copy for every poster in the thread

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 20, 2015

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Does Snowpiercer count?

boom boom boom posted:

If it does then so does The Last Stand.
id say snowpiercer counts because everything about it is south korean but the other two definitely don't. just having an asian director isn't enough to qualify.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the inane old people ranting club is that way ---->

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

How does a movie based on a French comic, filmed in Eastern Europe, starring mostly British and American actors, in English, have everything about it be Korean?
because it's directed by a korean man, produced by a korean man, written by a korean man, has korean actors in a story that originally didn't feature any korean characters, had a korean cinematographer, was distributed by a korean company, premiered in korea and is listed as a South Korean movie. more importantly, why the gently caress does it matter? what retarded point are you trying to point out here?

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

please stop posting in this thread if all you're going to do is shitpost

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

today's sunday and we'll be watching Love Live! The School Idol Movie Linda! Linda Linda! today!! i see one person already watched it which is good. personally i'll be watching it later tonight. have fun everyone :D

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i actually cant find the movie and davincie is a terrible troll
here's a low quality stream: http://www.dramatv.tv/watch-drama/linda-linda-linda-ep-1-english-sub.html

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Wow great thread! I didn't notice it until this morning though so I'm going to watch Linda Linda Linda tonight.

If the thread is still open for suggestions could Ikiru could be added to the list?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/
i don't think i'll ever close the suggestion box. it's fine if people watch linda linda linda later this week. the next movie isn't til sunday anyways

doomisland posted:

+1'ing
Survive Style 5+
Chungking Express
Bird People in China
Memories of Murder
im still not sure what's the best way to choose the next movie but for now i think i'll randomly pick one out of this guys list because they're all good and multiple people suggested these

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

doomisland posted:

I dunno if we want rotating genres each week so we switch it up or if thats too complicated and just the OP dictates and can be swayed by posting
choosing a random movie out of a new genre every week sounds like a good way to watch lots of different films. i might do that

Stink Billyums posted:

Although I liked 2LDK more, that's kind of begging for a double bill with Aragami, what with the whole Duel Project thing. They're both quite short movies.
i added them as a double feature on the list

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Movie #2: The Bird People in China (1998)

It's a Takashi Miike movie!!! A salaryman and a member of the yakuza are sent to a remote chinese village to evaluate some jade. Hilarious hijinks ensue We get to see some really pretty turtles.

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st1MwQD8V8Y
discussion starts here

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 2, 2015

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

o yeah...we'll be watching The Bird People in China today ppl. have fun!!

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Movie #3: All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001)

A film about the lives of two troubled young boys and the effect the music of lily chou-chou has on them

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDr1scwNC78
discussion starts here

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 13, 2015

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

movie time!!!

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

Japanese bullies are the meanest bullies
theres so many incredibly cruel bullies in japanese media. it's crazy

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

im just gonna post the new movie every saturday/sunday and give everyone the whole week to watch it. its not like we're doing a simulwatch anyways. movie coming in the next post...*drum roll*

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Movie #4: Why don't you play in hell? (2013)

Probably the greatest movie ever made, Why don't you play in hell???? (why tho) focuses on a dorky film crew (THE gently caress BOMBERS), a yakuza family, a runaway girl and a completely normal guy that has nothing to do with the events in the film all coming together to make an extremely bloody feature film for the wife of the yakuza boss. Also features a kid that dresses up like bruce lee and a song about toothpaste. Definitely Sion Sono's funniest movie.

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-wHR4VNf84

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Done

DisDisDis posted:

I watched Bird People and I liked it a lot. The yakuza guy in old age was incredibly cool. I've been holding off on the one after it because it sounds like a downer and I've had a crappy week. I will definitely watch Why Don't You Play In Hell.
lily chou chou definitely isnt the movie to watch if you want to feel good

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the film club is taking a break this week so more people have time to watch the movie and because i'll be at a japanese film festival next week and wont have time to watch anything else.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

:zombie: next movie comin up

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

~Spooky Movie Month :zombie: :spooky:~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

:spooky:SPOOKY MOVIE NUMBER 1:spooky:
Movie #5: Occult (2009)

turn off da lightz for this one...Occult is a horror about the little things in life that unsettle you. A man decides to make a documentary about a mass murder that occurred at a resort and finds himself tangled up in disturbing "miracles", leeches and something calling itself God. Instead of going for straight up visceral horror Occult takes it's time disturbing you. It's easy to tell something is off and everything is spiraling towards the worst possible conclusion but you don't know exactly what is going on until the extremely disturbing and hilarious (yes, hilarious) climax.

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uStog-vuXNw

• Locked thread