Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Chopsticks - Round or Square?
Round
Square
I can't use chopsticks. I eat sushi with a spork.
View Results

• Locked thread
chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I got a pair of round Count Dooku chopsticks which lead me to find that people find them difficult to use and say things like "You can only use those with certain foods". The only reason I'm asking is because people started getting really vocal about the shape of chopsticks.

Are people just so unskilled with eating that they need the baby cheater square wooden chopsticks and can't use normal ones?

I'll also throw out that I don't like the metal ones because it doesn't feel natural putting metal sticks in my mouth. Same deal with my metal Slurpee straw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Honestly shape isn't as important as material and wood feels so much nicer to eat with than plastic.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
You missed out flat, the superior chopstick shape.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do fine with wood chopsticks, round or square. But give me metal chopsticks and I end up eating the food directly off the plate like a god drat animal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm fine with other, but find no shame in preferring the easier to use flat or at least square ones. I'm quite comfortable eating with chopsticks, but a wider grip area makes for more convenient eating.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Metal slippery chopsticks are the dumbest things from Asia.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Square is horrible and wrong

Tanglefoot
Feb 27, 2002

Wow, I don't think this has ever crossed my mind!!! I have no idea which I prefer.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually bought these last year and they've been great for everything, including appropriately cooked rice. Much better than the random straight metal tubes that most others are, plastic annoyed me (and it's way slippier than these now that I think about it), and I wanted to avoid disposable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DE3HKNK

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I came here just to agree with this post, I can't handle flat, thin steel Korean-style chopsticks at all.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Square is horrible and wrong

no I think you are horrible and wrong

I prefer longer square chopsticks because they sit better in my giant clumsy idiot hands.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I like round over square but can use both.

I like bamboo or wood over plastic or metal because of the slipperiness.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I love the cheap bamboo chopsticks: round at the eating end, square at the holding end, and connected so I have to break them apart to eat.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Legend has it that Confucius said "you mess with the panda, you get the chopsticks". I think square wooden ones wouldn't be too bad, but the metal round ones might be lethal.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Preferably metal, round chopsticks all day every day. With pretty ceramic ends on them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CannonFodder posted:

I love the cheap bamboo chopsticks: round at the eating end, square at the holding end, and connected so I have to break them apart to eat.

I like the shape but hate the way cheap/free chopsticks taste. I mean, it's so rough for the little bit of time it's in my mouth. Egh. I like my round plastic ones with a bit of textured grip at the end. I got a 5-pack off of Amazon for five bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Chopst...ords=chopsticks

They are crappy but somehow I ended up with several cuttlefish designs, and they are now my chopstick spirit animal.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
round, wooden. with a texture or grooves on the end.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
like this except nice dark stained wood and not a lovely photo

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Shape doesn't matter, as long as they're solid ivory. Maybe studded with blood diamonds on the handle. You know, for grip.

If they're not wood, I can't grip anything remotely slippery with them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Look at all you whiny babies who can't use certain kinds of chopsticks. You should be able to use any and all kinds. What happens when you visit a restaurant or a friend's house and they only have metal chopsticks, do you just sit there and starve? How do you think Koreans have been eating for centuries with their metal chopsticks?

A master swordsman can kill a man with a blade of grass.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The first time I used chopsticks was on a date to a fancy Chinese restaurant. It was mildly traumatic at first, but now I own the prettiest, grooved wooden chopsticks with different designs at the top.

I have been to a restaurant that had the world's most top-heavy chopsticks. I'm not sure what the point of them was, but they were bloody difficult.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Look at all you whiny babies who can't use certain kinds of chopsticks. You should be able to use any and all kinds. What happens when you visit a restaurant or a friend's house and they only have metal chopsticks, do you just sit there and starve? How do you think Koreans have been eating for centuries with their metal chopsticks?

i only eat with hanzo steel

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I only eat hanzo steel

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

How do you think Koreans have been eating for centuries with their metal chopsticks?

Yeah well how's that working out for the northern third, huh?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I eat with round metal chopsticks. They were a little slippery at first but like anything else you get used to it. It isn't that big a deal. You just do it. Yeah, you drop a dumpling the first time or so. It ain't that deep.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I hate the cheap plastic ones with the square tops and thick round bottoms. Super hard to grab noodles.
Generic wood ones are pretty good for normal stuff, but I can certainly respect the flat metal ones for things like squid; it really helps to just be able to dig in. (I can't find these, how do I buy a pair?)
For single use ones, bamboo>>>>wood.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 25, 2015

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Lhet posted:

I hate the cheap plastic ones with the square tops and thick round bottoms. Super hard to grab loving anything.

ftfy

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I :dealwithit:

nothing wrong with having a preference though

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I once had a set of marble square chopsticks that were obnoxiously thick and slippery. Couldn't eat poo poo with them and they were definitely supposed ot be purely decorative but my parents insisted we use them nonetheless because they spent money on them, goddammit!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I have a bunch of stainless ones that have grooves cut in the service end which makes them work a lot better. And they're dishwasher safe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Just carry all of them.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Don't bother carrying any of them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's a weird looking won ton.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Yeah. It was pretty bland, too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
All you need is a little pocket space. http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-CD20-Collapsible-Travel-Chopsticks/dp/B0013YQQ5U

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Bamboo with square holdy part and round food part. Anything smaller than the comically long bamboo ones I described hurt my hands because I apparently have giant monster hands.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

Bamboo with square holdy part and round food part. Anything smaller than the comically long bamboo ones I described hurt my hands because I apparently have giant monster hands.

:heysexy:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

If you are budget conscious, op, I recommend you just grab a bunch from the panda express at the mall, but be sure not to rub then together to check for splinters, because that's rude.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Round wood chopsticks. I eat literally everything with round wood chopsticks. Right now I'm eating a bowl of cereal and it's really hard to get the cereal from the bowl to my mouth but gently caress you, don't tell me how to live my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

theparag0n posted:

You missed out flat, the superior chopstick shape.

Tell me more.

I've never used square chopsticks, but I'm in agreement that metal and plastic are the two worst materials possible.
I wouldn't mind trying a pair made of textured, anodized aluminum though.

• Locked thread