Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
:siren: HOLY poo poo AN UPDATE. :siren:

Regular YouTube logo is post-commentary with Grayfawks. Blue YouTube logo is live commentary with the fireteam, Anxious Sloth and Shindragon. Both videos contain many of the same points, so choose your preference if you don't want to watch both.

The Last Array
Sniper Rifles
Rocket Launchers
Arc Damage
Solar Damage
Void Damage
Fallen Captains
Servitors
House of Devils
Sepiks Prime
Strikes Introduction
The Devil's Lair

I might have overloaded on the Grimoire cards for this update, but I figure that should make up for not actually getting a Grimoire update for the last time I posted a video. Also, glad to note, we're OUT of desync city! However, an unfortunate technical difficulty means that the live commentary video (blue YouTube logo) is missing Anxious Sloth's audio up until the second wave of the defense section. I apologize, but there's really no way around this. You can kind of hear his voice if you listen incredibly hard, thanks to my old mic at the time of recording.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hooray an update so I don't have to play this!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Stop playing with my heart like this... :negative:

See you in a month!

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Spudd posted:

Stop playing with my heart like this... :negative:

See you in a month!

(Actually, next update's in another year, as part of Bungie's Destiny 2 advertisement campaign) :ssh:

Highly topical, I'm about to stream The Devil's Lair live. Due to a couple of reasons, I've had to completely relevel our dear beloved Ugg, and I figured, why not stream the strike when I get to it. If you're interested in seeing things happen live, you can check it out here.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 11, 2016

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
There IS an update coming, I swear. Just scheduling causing havoc again. The joys of having an Australian co commentator and 50-hour work weeks :v:. Should be up by tomorrow (Thursday), and if not, send out the search parties.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Heyo, boys and gals. Update's here, as promised. Today we start a new act! Excitement! And, on top of that, we're also officially into The Taken King's changes. Due to some stupidity on my part, I had to record the next few missions fresh, so everything from here on out will be on current-patch values.

As a side note, this video contains one of the Ghost's most popular wooden lines in the entire game... if we'd been playing on the original version. Since this ISN'T Destiny 1.0, we instead get Nolan North's take on things. However, I couldn't let you all miss out on true greatness, so here you are, in all it's glory. :siren: WE'VE WOKEN THE HIIIIIVE! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A64JGvJDd90

While we're on the topic of RIP Dinklebot, here's another old favorite from the alpha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlOYatDYC40

Machine Guns
The Hive
Thralls
The Dark Beyond

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

So... how does your gun function on the moon?

Dr. Dubious
Dec 5, 2010

Amputee Ninja Ryu Hayabusa
We don't ask that question :tinfoil:

If I had to give a reason: Space Magic

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
That's part of the reason I really like the story and lore of Destiny - it's essentially a fantasy epic dressed up in science fiction trappings. I find the juxtaposition interesting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spudd posted:

So... how does your gun function on the moon?

Modern (and presumably future) guns don't actually need oxygen around to fire :eng101:

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Kibayasu posted:

Modern (and presumably future) guns don't actually need oxygen around to fire :eng101:

It's true. The reason you can't use a semi-automatic or automatic underwater now is ( well, actually there's more than one reason it's not effective ) that the slide will jam on the ejected casing because the system just wasn't designed to eject a casing against that much resistance. If you're willing to manually rack the slide after each shot and you're also willing to only be shooting things about a yard away, you can use a gun underwater.

It probably won't do good things for the gun and you should really strip and clean it after. It might do REALLY bad things to your ears and stuff too since water is much less compressible and pressure waves travel faster. Mythbusters didn't go underwater with the gun and I haven't done any research on that aspect. My suggestion: do not take your gun underwater.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
This update's had commentary for almost a week now, I'm just bad at motivation.

The World's Grave
Hive Shredder
Hive Boomer

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Given how many times I've deleted one of my characters to start over, I have to reluctantly conclude I enjoy the story a lot. And the shootings of mans. I like watching others do it as well, so keep it up!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
There is a seed for a great game in Destiny and with the Taken King content it's starting to take shape. I just hope that the next expansion gives us even more Cayde-5.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Sylphosaurus posted:

There is a seed for a great game in Destiny and with the Taken King content it's starting to take shape. I just hope that the next expansion gives us even more Cayde-5.

I agree with this sentiment 100%. Especially about Cayde-6. Dude's the best, especially considering Nathan Fillion voices him.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Pythonicus posted:

I agree with this sentiment 100%. Especially about Cayde-6. Dude's the best, especially considering Nathan Fillion voices him.

I'm really hoping they figure out a way to let you run specific story missions with NPC's as part of your fire team. Taking on a horde of Taken with Cayde-6 and Ikora will probably be the closest we ever come to a Firefly reunion.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
I feel like we were hitting a stride. And then we weren't. Whoops. Let's make it up by swordfighting.

Coming later

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Having only seen the posters and such with hammers and swords I was wondering how they worked in-game. Making them massively overpowered quasi homing attacks seems so obvious.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Kibayasu posted:

Having only seen the posters and such with hammers and swords I was wondering how they worked in-game. Making them massively overpowered quasi homing attacks seems so obvious.

As was started in the video, this is the only time we'll see the sword for a very long time yet. I like it because it's not completely overused and it's fun to jump around flailing a sword at things after spending a few hours shooting mans. As for the hammers, well... that's an equally long way off.

In any case, Bungie is planning on revealing the next expansion on Thursday, which may or may not be included in this LP, depending on how burnt out Fawks ends up by the time we wrap up the Taken King. I'll put up a post with the link when it gets a bit closer if anyone from the thread is interested in getting a sneak peek.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Two more updates left in the Moon, and then we're moving on again! (Let's not talk about the fact that my running average for updates is about 1 per month at this point).

:siren:Strike: The Summoning Pits:siren:
Now that I'm stabilizing a bit in terms of scheduling, I'm putting out the casting call for our second strike, The Summoning Pits, to be recorded on Tuesday, July 5 at 8:00 pm Eastern. If you want your voice heard and your sick skills displayed, here's what you'll need:

A PS4 and a copy of the game.
    A character between the levels of 9-13.
    A PC/laptop with Skype or Discord installed.
    Audacity.
    30-90 minutes of free time.

If you meet the requirements, send me a friend request on PSN at "PythonicusSA" with a mention of the Summoning Pits.

EDIT: I almost forgot that Wednesday nights aren't good for me, so I swapped the date. Whoops.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 27, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Eyy, an update. I want to play this game just playing an fps on controller is awful. Still I'm loving this LP.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
:siren:Reminder that I will be recording the strike TONIGHT at 8 Eastern (four and a half hours from the time of posting), and if I don't have any takers, I'll have to pug. I'd much rather take some of y'all along that go with randoms, so send those friend requests to PythonicusSA on PSN if you're able!:siren:

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 5, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Sorry. I'd do it, but I don't have a character at the level requirements you need. That, and my current setup is kind of awkward.

Edit: I also don't have PS+ right now either, so I'm extra sorry for that.

bman in 2288 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 5, 2016

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
drat. I was working tonight. Looking forward to seeing the strike!

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

All my dudes are level 40 and I didn't really want to delete one to join in :|

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I think it's safe to say that Pythonicus isn't THAT picky about level requirements anymore considering he asked me to join him and my character is light level 319. Also, confession time - I forgot that this thread even existed until I was asked for help last night.

I have to ask Pythonicus, did you actually use that footage? I ask because the two of us joined in on a random pubbie's strike who somehow managed to rack up 200 kills before he even cleared the first trash mob fight, which makes me think he was farming kills for the Necrochasm.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
My thinking is that I'll use it as a sort of bonus side video alongside a full run video. Anyway, I may start the showcase of higher level stuff now, that way it's more evenly spaced out and not just a huge info dump. Also that way, I can nix the level requirement and possibly do heroic versions of strikes instead.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Grayfawks is away visiting family, so for this update, I'm in the commentary "booth" alone. Slightly more informational than usual!* Also, my hosting bill is coming up in a little under a month now and I likely won't have the funds available to resume service, so for the time being, YouTube is the sole video host until I can figure something out. I still have all of the original videos, so re-uploading once I do find my way back to a hosting service won't be an issue.

*May not actually contain more informative material. View at own risk, not responsible for side effects.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 17, 2016

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Just chiming in to say I'm enjoying this LP. Something about playing this game never clicked for me.

Edit: I figured I could be more explicit: The game strikes me as being tedious. Even though I enjoy the components by themselves, the game has an atmosphere of tedium.

Mr. Highway fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 18, 2016

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Mr. Highway posted:

Just chiming in to say I'm enjoying this LP. Something about playing this game never clicked for me.

Edit: I figured I could be more explicit: The game strikes me as being tedious. Even though I enjoy the components by themselves, the game has an atmosphere of tedium.

I appreciate that you're enjoying the LP! There's a lot of truth to the tedium bit, honestly. This game was definitely designed with the MMO grind in mind, and a lot of the endgame content is proof-positive on the matter.

Before we get there, however, we've got a LOT of ground to cover. Today's update is a small one, but important for the future of the LP. Once we get to our next destination, we're going to open things up a bit. We'll be saying goodbye to Ugg for a while and using other classes, but before we do that, I figured it's high time I did a little explaining on some of the things we haven't quite seen just yet. If you don't really care about game mechanics or, really, anything other than bright flashy explosions all the time, feel free to skip it. I apologize if I sound a bit more stilted than usual. I had to script out a couple of things so that I didn't catch myself rambling about all of this and running out of time.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Today's video takes us back, yet again, into the Hellmouth. Except this time, we're doing it to finish out the act on the Moon! Excitement!

So, in a little effort to get some thread participation, I'd like your opinions on which subclass we'll be settling into for the next few videos. Below are your choices:

Sunsinger Warlock
Powerful solo class, can fight out of dangerous areas with powerful grenade abilities and a melee overshield. Can self-res using Radiance, which also reduces grenade cooldown significantly.

Striker Titan
Decent damage-dealing class, very mobile with a shoulder charge ability. Melee-focused, likes to get up close and personal if at all possible, indicated by Fist of Havoc's power.

Defender Titan
Tankiest class in the game. Has a melee overshield which buffs reload/weapon speed, allowing for constant motion and fighting. Ward of Dawn exists and is a little broken.

Gunslinger Hunter
Fast and loose, huge damage if accurate. Can gain buffs to weaponry with constant precision kills, and Golden Gun can oneshot just about all non-boss enemies.

Bladedancer Hunter
The ultimate in damage. Very mobile and melee-focused. Arc Blade is probably the least-balanced super in the entire game.

Denote your votes in replies with BOLD lettering so it makes it easy on me. Cutoff point is Sunday night, 8pm Eastern!

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Earth may be more than just Russia, but the evocative and barren vastness of Siberia works as a microcosm for the dwindling end of humanity. Either that or Bungie just didn't design other Earth maps.

I can't decide if returning to the same dungeon on the moon was done out of pacing, or out of resource constraints. The pessimist is me worries that the game just needed some way to fill in time.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Striker Titan - Never not shoulder charge everything

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Seconding Striker Titan for maximum space rugby.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Gunslinger Hunter as I haven't seen the Hunter Class at all.

Also, I have a lvl30 Titan I could possibly run if you are desperate for "help". Audio recording might be tough, though. I have shite for computers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd like to see the Bladedancer Hunter

Hopefully "least balanced" means "really good"

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Alright, so two votes for Striker means that for our next few videos, I'll be checking some fools into next week! Thanks to those who voted! I'll put it up for another vote within probably three to four videos so that we can showcase the rest of the subclasses throughout what's left of the campaign.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Today's update takes us past the halfway point in the original Destiny campaign, and into our third destination, Venus!

e: most definitely finished processing now.

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 5, 2016

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So, how does this make any sense if you're playing an Exo or an Awoken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Well, there ARE Exo and Awoken in the Tower. The Awoken out in the Reef basically just made their own little hidey hole after the first few waves of Darkness attacked the Traveler, and thereby, Earth. Those that stayed behind were shunned, because Space Elves are assholes. As for the Exo, all sources indicate that they've been part of society since the Traveler's discovery. The Stranger is the exception, as some sort of time-warrior thing, not the rule.

• Locked thread