Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah the whole Iran situation does pretty much trace back to the oil companies getting the US/UK to gently caress around in Iran so that they could get their sweet, sweet, oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I'm trying to load up on Obamacare being under 42.5%. I'm buying no at 97. RCP is currently at 40.2% and unless a poll is released tomorrow (unlikely) with approval over 52% (even more unlikely) it seems like free money and a 2 day return of 3%

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
New polling markets are out: restart steam

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Everything is pretty lovely at the moment. There's some obvious stuff like will Hillary be polling above 45 by September's end, but you can't buy into no for less than 80 cents already.

I'm banking big on Jeb continuing a nosedive in the polls, especially after he decides to go "GUNS BLAZING" after Trump in the next debate, which will end disastrously for him. I'm also being bullish about Hillary suffering through another little bit of a mild September and giving up a few points to keep her from being a firm choice yet in a lot of voters' minds.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Sep 1, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hahaha, CNN just decided to go against the RNC and the FEC to capitulate to the pressure and let Fiorina in. There goes my money.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahaha, CNN just decided to go against the RNC and the FEC to capitulate to the pressure and let Fiorina in. There goes my money.

Yeah, hopefully the no buys raise enough to keep it from being a complete lose before the debate. 3 cents a share is pretty close to worth less than the outside chance she still doesn't make the debate somehow. Probably Christie burying her beside Hoffa.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gyges posted:

Yeah, hopefully the no buys raise enough to keep it from being a complete lose before the debate. 3 cents a share is pretty close to worth less than the outside chance she still doesn't make the debate somehow. Probably Christie burying her beside Hoffa.

Fortunately I just realised I only bought 10 shares, so I'm only out 4.50 for when I bought in.

I was really thinking of buying in on yes yesterday, too, just because it seemed like something that would be good for ratings and there was so much chatter about it.

In the end, we get Fiorina in a debate with Trump. That's worth 4.50 to me, now let the Iran deal go through you fuckers in Congress.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I got wrecked on this, but I think watching the debate will probably be worth more than what I lost.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
They need her there so they don't have a stage full of men, at least one of whom cannot stop saying horribly sexist things.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I had a feeling in my gut that they were going to tweak the rules glad I didn't put any on those markets.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Nothing right now looks like a good bet even though I dropped $20 into this thing. I want to bet on, like, "approval of senate above %15.5" because its going for like 20-70 right now and is at 15.3. I guess I don't understand what polls they can use though and which ones come out next and which way they trend.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stereotype posted:

Nothing right now looks like a good bet even though I dropped $20 into this thing. I want to bet on, like, "approval of senate above %15.5" because its going for like 20-70 right now and is at 15.3. I guess I don't understand what polls they can use though and which ones come out next and which way they trend.

If I could only put my money in one thing right now, it would be Joe Biden not running for president. You can just about double your money on that one.

edit: I'm currently buying 220 shares of Biden not running for 50 cents, I'm going to be rich (note: rich may be an overstatement).

Yoshifan823 has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Sep 2, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just sold all my Walker NO shares at .85, someone put up over 100 shares at several cents above the next-best offer. That just freed up a bunch for day-trading, though I still think Jeb has a ways to plummet.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks to whoever said the Iran veto thing was a safe bet, I made $60 on that today.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

Thanks to whoever said the Iran veto thing was a safe bet, I made $60 on that today.

Its weird, because "Will Congress reject Iran deal" is at 98c for NO, but "Will Obama veto congressional disapproval" is only at 78c for NO. The second one cannot be a yes without the first one being a yes.

edit: nevermind, the first one has to be a veto override.

Stereotype has issued a correction as of 08:58 on Sep 2, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wanamingo posted:

Yeah that's my biggest money maker right now. I could sell and get about, what, 90 bucks right now? But I'm thinking I should hold out for the solid 100. My question is, when would they declare "Okay this is obviously a no." When the resolution denying the deal passes? It might make more sense to get the 90 and screw with it if that takes 3 weeks or more.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Yeah that's my biggest money maker right now. I could sell and get about, what, 90 bucks right now? But I'm thinking I should hold out for the solid 100. My question is, when would they declare "Okay this is obviously a no." When the resolution denying the deal passes? It might make more sense to get the 90 and screw with it if that takes 3 weeks or more.

I doubt they'll close this one early because the rules are based on legislation actually passing. So your only two exits are the legislation passes or the time expires. Even if they hold a vote and it gets shot down there's still the chance that they could re-introduce it and have it pass for some reason.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Is there some way to know what polls will be released? I'm looking at Obama's approval rating, RCP puts it at 44.9%. The contract closes in 2 days, and the contracts that are hovering around that number are in the 40 to 60 cent range. There isn't some calendar where we know that Fox or CNN or whoever is going to release something tomorrow?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Yoshifan823 posted:

If I could only put my money in one thing right now, it would be Joe Biden not running for president. You can just about double your money on that one.

But the filing deadline is two months out.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Bee posted:

It's slowly getting inflated by people who think he's going to announce when he goes on Colbert's new show next week. It'll drop a bunch after that night when he doesn't announce.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
ˆˆˆha, what he said.

Golden Bee posted:

The real trick to making money isn't being right, it's predicting when people are going to think they're right.

I've got most of my shares right now tied up in waiting for some polls to deviate and get people to buy my shares on Hillary and Jeb, but right now picking a yes on Biden would be smart because next... week? I think he's going to be on Colbert, and a lot of people are going to think he's saying he'll run which should inflate the prices. (Or buy no and sell em all once he announces on the show that he isn't running).

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Me, I already sold. Used the money to buy a bunch of no shares for Carson.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah I should've jumped on it. Some people who can't see the writing on the wall have driven the no price down to 77 cents, so now I'm playing the waiting game.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Romney YES spread is 10/5 now, lol

The primary is such an absolute clusterfuck that I actually don't think that's a bad price.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hottt Tipppp:

The 44+ on the Gallup poll has Nos for crazy cheap right now, I expect the added poll from tomorrow to dip a little, which means people will panic buy them and drive the price up, you could probably get a nice profit there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleOption?marketId=1559#data1

Jeb is already underwater in the RCP average and he's had a bad week. NO should win out in the end and steadily trend toward 100% throughout the month imo, y'all jump in on it now.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yoshifan823 posted:

Hottt Tipppp:

The 44+ on the Gallup poll has Nos for crazy cheap right now, I expect the added poll from tomorrow to dip a little, which means people will panic buy them and drive the price up, you could probably get a nice profit there.

Personally, I always avoid that market. It just seems like such a crapshoot to try and predict a number that's going to be within the margin of error on the poll.

As long as we're throwing out these protips, I'd say now's a good time to bet against Carson's poll numbers. The no shares are 20 cents each right now, and I really can't see the guy maintaining this rise until the end of the month. He's a huge idiot, but unlike Trump, he's quiet and soft spoken.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There's a good chance that Christie won't be in the next CNN debate, which has NOs trading at only 20c. He is currently ranked 10, tied with Paul, and is 11th according to the latest CNN poll. They are only letting 10 people in.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Stereotype posted:

There's a good chance that Christie won't be in the next CNN debate, which has NOs trading at only 20c. He is currently ranked 10, tied with Paul, and is 11th according to the latest CNN poll. They are only letting 10 people in.

drat it I had a bunch of NOs at 10c a day or two ago but got cold feet because it seemed like CNN was just gonna go the "uh our bad it's actually 11 people now" route wrt Fiorina.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

As long as we're throwing out these protips, I'd say now's a good time to bet against Carson's poll numbers. The no shares are 20 cents each right now, and I really can't see the guy maintaining this rise until the end of the month. He's a huge idiot, but unlike Trump, he's quiet and soft spoken.

Aliquid posted:

Jeb is already underwater in the RCP average and he's had a bad week. NO should win out in the end and steadily trend toward 100% throughout the month imo, y'all jump in on it now.

Both of these markets seem essentially to be bets on how well Carson or Bush do in the CNN debate. Bush probably does better compared to his performance in the FOX debate, and Carson, I dunno. People didn't expect much from him the first time around, but I have no clue now. There's a not insignificant chance he says something quite stupid, but then again, the GOP base loves that stuff.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

We're two weeks from the debate, I have no problem taking both those bets for at least until the day of the debate.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Stereotype posted:

I was crushed betting against Fiorina being included. CNN seems so whimsical now that I won't touch anything there for any price. They could be letting in 10, maybe 11, or it will be a tie and they will make it 12.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A Time To Chill posted:

drat it I had a bunch of NOs at 10c a day or two ago but got cold feet because it seemed like CNN was just gonna go the "uh our bad it's actually 11 people now" route wrt Fiorina.

They did:

"If the eligibility window closed today, CNN's analysis of polls conducted from July 16 shows that Donald Trump, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Mike Huckabee, Rand Paul, John Kasich and Chris Christie would qualify for the top-tier debate. With today's change, Fiorina would also qualify for the top-tier debate."

This is from CNN's own report on itself. Count it, that's eleven.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It would be cool if, due to a statistical tie, they let everyone into the big kids debate except Graham, and still hold a kids table debate just for him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fronz posted:

It would be cool if, due to a statistical tie, they let everyone into the big kids debate except Graham, and still hold a kids table debate just for him.

I've been thinking about it, and with the 1% floor and potential ties, it could well turn out that there is a second tier "debate" with one poor, sad candidate at some point.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
They would probably feel pity and let Graham come onto the big stage, but just never speak to him or acknowledge his presence

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Why are these contracts so close to 50 cents?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html#polls

https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleOption?contractId=1170#data1

https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleOption?contractId=1171#data1

The RCP average is 44.8% and the contract ends today. I doubt they will be purging old polls in the next 13 hours, and I imagine that any polls coming out today would already be out. Am I missing something?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Really enjoying Christopher Brown here not understanding how this poo poo works

STOP MANIPULATING THE MARKET

STOP IT !!!

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Sep 4, 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Any reason not to buy Yes on Christie making the next debate? Going at 90c, and it seems virtually impossible that 8 polls with Christie at 0% will drop within a week. CNN would have to specifically exclude Christie, which it already said at the Fiorina announcement that it would not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

Any reason not to buy Yes on Christie making the next debate? Going at 90c, and it seems virtually impossible that 8 polls with Christie at 0% will drop within a week. CNN would have to specifically exclude Christie, which it already said at the Fiorina announcement that it would not.

Link to the Fiorina announcement?

• Locked thread