Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

Which markets have you been playing in, if you don't mind me asking?

Here's what I have right now. I'm planning on selling the Biden shares as soon as possible because I don't think he's going to run, and I got burned on the Palmer one because I didn't clear some buy orders. Occasionally I'll bet on the direction of the country and congressional approval markets if they seem safe enough. I think my biggest individual win so far has been betting that Trump will not have the largest drop in the polls following the first debate.

Pretty much my strategy is to sell once I've made a reasonable profit instead of waiting for the market to close, and to never bet on any of the absolute crapshoots like the Gallup approval rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

By the way, this looks like a pretty good deal: https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleOption?contractId=1166

The filibuster is almost a done deal, yet No is selling in the 80 cent range.

Yeah that one was great all last week, hovering around 50c

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Is there any resource to find out which individual polls come out when?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Welp. Biden didn't announce anything. Glad I held on to the majority of my shares.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Here's what I have right now. I'm planning on selling the Biden shares as soon as possible because I don't think he's going to run, and I got burned on the Palmer one because I didn't clear some buy orders. Occasionally I'll bet on the direction of the country and congressional approval markets if they seem safe enough. I think my biggest individual win so far has been betting that Trump will not have the largest drop in the polls following the first debate.

Pretty much my strategy is to sell once I've made a reasonable profit instead of waiting for the market to close, and to never bet on any of the absolute crapshoots like the Gallup approval rating.

Looks like we're opponents on the Biden market.

Only thing I question there is the Palmer extradition choice, though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Welp. Biden didn't announce anything. Glad I held on to the majority of my shares.

According to the tip it was the 14th, I think.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm still pretty miffed that the "First GOP contender to drop out" was resolved to be Jindal when the dude is still putting out campaign ads on Youtube and tweeting like a candidate.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
New market: Will the federal government shut down on October 1?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm still pretty miffed that the "First GOP contender to drop out" was resolved to be Jindal when the dude is still putting out campaign ads on Youtube and tweeting like a candidate.

They did list suspension as something that would resolve as a drop out. No idea what Jindal was thinking following the McCain playbook on that.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Salvor_Hardin posted:

They've come out and said they understood it was lovely but the rules are rules. They can't just ignore them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
If you're sure Biden won't run, the best time to buy no would probably be right before his Colbert appearance when the bubble will burst.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I really doubt they will, but then again the Republican Party is a field of clowns.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Was someone threatening this?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah this one's a gamble. I'm leaning towards them not shutting it down even though the Iran deal & Planned Parenthood has them in a frenzy but they've been pretty unpredictable lately. I feel like Boehner might wiggle out of this by adding some wordy token nods to the base that when boiled down result in nothing happening. So for example make the President pinky-swear that they'll disclose any "side deals" (there aren't any) plus launching an investigation into Planned Parenthood for wrongdoing (there isn't any)

Golden Bee posted:

Was someone threatening this?

If Congress can't agree on a budget by the end of the month it shuts down by default. Since the Republicans are in control of both chambers they'll likely be going for major concessions from the Dems but both of the current hot-topics are things the Dems absolutely won't budge on. Throw in the opportunity for Rand or Cruz to grandstand like before and who knows what will happen.

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Sep 10, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What is going on with Will "Right Direction" poll at 28.5%+ on September 11?

Nothing has changed almost the entire time, no polls release today, and the average is still just above the line. However judging by the bets for the last few days there was no chance for Yes to win. Hell, yes just dropped like 30 cents today off no polls being released.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Seems like a pretty easy no since an extension and future shutdown would still resolve to no. They will have to fail to even get an extension in place for yes to win.

Plus it's election season and all.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

What is going on with Will "Right Direction" poll at 28.5%+ on September 11?

Nothing has changed almost the entire time, no polls release today, and the average is still just above the line. However judging by the bets for the last few days there was no chance for Yes to win. Hell, yes just dropped like 30 cents today off no polls being released.

Check the comments, Reuters released a new poll at 25% and it just hasn't been added to RCP yet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wanamingo posted:

Check the comments, Reuters released a new poll at 25% and it just hasn't been added to RCP yet.

I quickly quit reading the comments after realizing they're mostly the place to try and bullshit people into buying your shares. With occasional people crying about how the numbers are all hosed up and clearly there's shenanigans going on.

Peacheshead
Oct 21, 2010
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...-colbert-213528

No's on Biden still safe for now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I told you guys to buy short before the taping. Now Biden run's dropped 11 cents.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/09/10/for-biden-calendar-makes-his-2016-decision-tough-to-delay

He's not running

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vox Nihili posted:

Seems like a pretty easy no since an extension and future shutdown would still resolve to no. They will have to fail to even get an extension in place for yes to win.

Plus it's election season and all.

On the other hand, in order to get something through the House Republicans have to agree to it. Given their current passion for defending Planned Parenthood and their current attempt to hold their breath real hard to make the Iran Deal go away, things do not look good for a functioning government come October 1.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think Boehner would rather break the Hastert Rule than give in to the crazies and shut everything down again. Just bought big into NO.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aliquid posted:

I think Boehner would rather break the Hastert Rule than give in to the crazies and shut everything down again. Just bought big into NO.

Eventually, yes. However he's got to make a deal with Pelosi that can also pass through the Senate in time, and there's some big ol' assholes like Cruz, Cotton, and Lee just waiting to gum all the works up to stop it.

Also the true believers in the House are a large enough group to really gently caress with Boehner's ability to get anything done in a timely fashion all on their own. Especially since there are less than 10 legislative days left before the shutdown commences.

Edit: According to the House Calendar there are 7 days left in the month of September when the House will be in session.

Gyges has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Sep 11, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The crazies were more important last Congress, but this round has more Republicans period, therefore Boehner's buffer is larger.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New markets are up! Along with the typical polling questions, you have three questions about this week's debate. Who will win, who will lose, and who will get the most airtime.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Biden Running No shares are still relatively cheap in spite of his Late Show interview, currently hanging around 57 cents. I bought in for much cheaper, but there's still money to be made.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
i see you commenting... vox nihi1i

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

New markets are up! Along with the typical polling questions, you have three questions about this week's debate. Who will win, who will lose, and who will get the most airtime.

Some of these didn't show up for me in the new arrivals section. Run a search for "debate" to see 'em.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fronz posted:

i see you commenting... vox nihi1i

No relation. :)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, who had Rick Perry in the "first to drop out" pool?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

Some poor souls who got screwed by rules wizards when Jindal "suspended" his campaign.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I got money on Carson losing the debate the hardest.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

User Error posted:

I got money on Carson losing the debate the hardest.

Yeah keep in mind that this is based on just raw polling percentages not as a ratio of each individual candidate's starting point. Trump obviously has the furthest to fall but Carson is the only other candidate with a ledge bigger than the standard deviation. IMO No on every other candidate besides those two and MAYBE Bush and Walker is a safe bet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Trump is unlikely to gently caress it all up and Carson has not only poked the Trump but is also positioned for everyone else to come at him for a piece of his polling.

Carson and Bush, maybe Fiorina are the only ones with both enough to lose and a high probability of getting savaged in the debate.

Cruz on the other hand is the only other person with relatively decent polling and is positioned to gain by being the only one not attacking Trump or being attacked by Trump. Rubio is also positioned to gain off Bush's savaging, but he'd have to actually do something, which has proved a problem for him so far. Huck and Walker are both low enough that they could get a bounce, but it's less likely. Rand and Christie aren't going anywhere.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ You actually think someone other than Mr. T will attack Carson?

DaveWoo posted:

I, at one point, owned 152 shares of Perry YES :v:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aliquid posted:

^^ You actually think someone other than Mr. T will attack Carson?

No one else really needs to, but he's done some apostate things. Huckabee especially could be helped if the guy sucking up religious right voters were shown to be of the devil. It's going to depend on the questions asked.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So when do we cash in on Trump's eventual fall?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So when do we cash in on Trump's eventual fall?

I wouldn't try it. Every time he does something that should collapse his support, it rises instead.

You can always bet in the primary winner and president markets, though, he's probably overvalued there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I put a few bucks on Rubio gaining the most from this week's debate.

• Locked thread