Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

...Zzzzz...Bwuh? Oh, uhm did you say something about salaries? Well of course due to the luxuries afforded to my position I can stand a somewhat reduced standard, a measly, oh, I don't know, three units?

Now if you'll excuse me I believe I was scouting out easy escape route- I mean, uhm, planning our glorious expansion! Yes, we'll go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Hey wow, we're finally on the next page! This means the next couple updates will probably be more massive than the last ones, be prepared to scroll down a lot!

Also:

:siren: The next update comes on Saturday. :siren:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Oh huh! I'm actually in! And rather competent, at that! That's fancy.

Hm, salary... well! Let's think over on the various expenses a LEADER and LOYAL MEMBER OF THE EMPIRE has to spend for:

>Good quality booze
>Impeccable, sharp uniforms.
>Expensive, impressive hat to inspire awe in allies and fear into enemies
>Some bitchin' pair of shades. That seems to be the season for them.
>Gigantic portraits of the Emperor.

Yeah, that seems to cover it up. I'd say about 2 units seems to be good for brave, intrepid exploration Leaders.

As for next LP, German Adventure game sounds promising. Alternatively, so is MOO3. I bought that game at launch, you know. I barely played it and was bitterly disappointing.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Space Empires V

I always thought that game had LP potential.

AecTalek
Mar 14, 2010

Libluini posted:

This smooth motherfucker is AecTalek. Loyal and competent? Looks like we have a future fleet commander here.

Since I have been informally promised a position as fleet commander, I shall settle for 100,000 IZ for now.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i played master of orion games so i would like to watch you play a master of orion game

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I'd love to see a Space Empires V LP.

Also, this game is amazingly pointlessly complicated. I appreciate the work being done to salvage this...thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The Aurora Empire Strikes Back

Years 2021 – 2023: Reforms

Lady Historian Zyr Oc Ewjil posted:

Planetary Politics of the Aurora Empire, the Second Hierarchy War, Part I

Just after a new system of state had been established on planet Lowtax, the new capital-in-exile, the Aurora Empire faced instability and turmoil.

Only by pure chance were the plucky Human refugees saved, when some of them made contact with the mighty Velan Empire, a huge alien realm stretching from the little border sector of Xammin across large parts of the known galaxy. The nice women from the Velan Empire helped the refugees greatly and in return, the grateful Humans even adopted the Velan Calendar.

Determined to not abuse their friendship with us Velans further, they started to reform their small pocket of resistance into a formidable force: Several of the new colonies were given up in favor of boosting development of the two best worlds and the ground work for a strong space fleet was laid down.

The leadership of Emperor Cimbri and the Computronium Core on Lowtax itself seemed off to a good start.

Year: 2021

So yeah, things are looking good for now. Since this is still a Let’s Play and not me writing a SF-story, let’s go and look at those things in more detail.

This message confused me a bit at first, since I distinctly remember sending out four Ark-ships last turn. Welp, after looking over everything, it seems like all four Ark-ships arrived, but apparently you only get one message if they all target the same planet.

Efficient but confusing, that’s the Imperium we all know and love by now. :shepface:

Emperor Cimbri gets a rather late congratulation message for his ascension to the throne.

Trumpia is evil, got it.

And it already send out an invasion/colonization force. Looks like their leader isn’t lazy, either.

And I wish the leader of Trumpia could have been named Donald, but sadly it’s not allowed to re-name enemy subordinates.

Thanks to the game starting for real, 2021 is the first time our popularity is actually calculated. And now high enough I feel confident to start with Operation: Planetary Demolition.

This is our capital, Lowtax. Soon the population will rise by quite a lot.

Now imagine the same thing happen four times in a row, just with different planets.

Just after our demolition-spree. Most of the population was just transported back to the capital, which means those 863,5 million people are our entire population for now. But the most important part, since we want to build a lot of ships in the near future: The Ark-ships transported most of the commodities lying around on the decommissioned colonies to the capital, so we still have them.

In a test game I forgot about Ark ships and only got the population. All those Robots, religious paraphernalia and other assorted crap from those planets just straight up evaporated into thin air.

With that population reshuffle done, let’s make sure our goons are all getting paid for their work. AecTalek only wanted 100k Imperial Zongs per year, so that’s what he gets. Pay rises will come as soon as we have a fleet-slot open for him.

Cosmic Afro wanted more and since I’m giving him a scout command, I guess he can have more. 200k IZ per year.

COME ON!

Sometimes I hate this game

OK, after closing all windows and reopening all of them -1, I can give Cosmic Afro his fleet command. The fleet is actually named Rec 01, but we can only see the names of new fleets after properly making them. Because closing and opening the same window again is fun! :shepface:

Finally finished. Ugh, now I need to give him a target. Pure torture with this UI.

Before I forget, Cimbri wanted even more money, but he is the Emperor, so why not? 300k IZ per year for him.

Son Ryo gets his 100k IZ/year, too.

Pyroi, one of the old guard, gets 200k IZ/year. I guess if I finally stop forgetting about him, I’ll put him down as governor of Pluto or something.

After we recolonize the only not totally worthless planet in the Aurora System besides Lowtax itself of course.

KirbyKhan gets 200k IZ/year and our second scout command.

A little bit of torture later, Rec 02 is finished and awaits orders.

Now Habituallyred with his 200k IZ/year. Done.

Another more frugal type. 100k IZ/year. Done!

200k IZ/year, mostly because he is an ambassador already. Since he isn’t bad, he’ll stay at his post.

PurpleXVI wanted 500k per year, but because of Imperial regulations, the only job paying that well doesn’t exist yet. After Emperor Cimbri consulted with the Senate, they decided to give him the mostly ceremonial command of Home Fleet. Home Fleet has no ships, but it still is a rather prestige-heavy post, thanks to it's heroic sacrifice last time around.

PurpleXVI gets 200k IZ/year, the prestige post as commander of Home Fleet and a new political enemy since we had to punt out Pentheus, the old Admiral in charge before him.

I guess PurpleXVI can be lucky the game doesn’t emulate assassinations, except for the Emperor himself. :v:

Hyperman1992 is another member of the old guard. As survivor of the last run and Ambassador to our mortal enemy, he gets 200k IZ/per year.

Cato was an important NPC last time with some crap I wrote for him. So I give him money too. Just for old time’s sake. Since I already have at least three goons for combat fleets and four goons for scout commands, he is kind of grounded right now. But if I ever get to building scouts 5-6, he’ll lead one of the newer ships.

With personal politics done, let’s go back to planetary poo poo. Blue is us, the cursor shows the Thrasys-system, our closest neighbor.

Thrasys only has a single planet: Smoias. I send it to the clipboard for future use.

Smoias looks kind of average, so if you guys are OK with it I guess we could colonize it later. Thanks to our decolonization spree we already worked around our tech level-problem, so as long as the planets aren’t phenomenally lovely, we can go to town now.

Drugs are more important for our long-term survival of course. And to find space weed, we need exploration! Smoias is our first target.

After trying to use the clipboard -> fleet order function, I accidentally forget I’m not using Windows and crash the game. A nasty reminder switching windows with a click doesn’t actually work in Imperium.

Cosmic Afro gets to see Smoias.

This time I just click on the PLANETS-icon and scroll down until I find Smoias. Hopefully by next time I remember how to use the clipboard-menu correctly!

To speed things up, Emperor Cimbri orders two more scouts build for faster reconnaissance of our new home.

Money gets allocated, materials are bought (or hopefully drawn from our large stockpile). If we’re lucky, we will need only two years. If we’re unlucky, I guess three years aren’t so bad either.

Our second scout has to wait since I need him to do something else first, so I hit end turn and the year 2021 VC (Velan Calendar) ends.

Year: 2022

Trumpia is invading/colonizing again. Without actually being there we have no way of knowing what they’re doing, I kind of shrug and get on with it.

We could take a look at Allerlux, but the UI would just lie to us without more information, so we skip past that.

Yeah, yeah. As if Trumpia hasn’t enough planets already. Trumpia is strangely greedy.

Personally, I think Trumpia just did what we did: Decolonise some planets and recolonize them/better ones to boost their tech level.

Our popularity still got a slight boost, even though we basically forcefully relocated most of the human race last time.

Now I have work for KirbyKhan: He gets to re-establish our colony on Pluto. Next turn I’ll have to search for some new target of course.

And I’m being extra careful here: Normally an old colony should be re-colonized just by visiting, but I don’t want to waste a turn, so just in case I give the invade/colonization order.

Cosmic Afro is now in deep space.

923,9 million people live in the Aurora Empire and thanks to our AI controlling the economy, we’re still quite rich.

The subsidy giving us new tech levels on Lowtax every year gets adjusted.

And I took the time to make blueprints for our future fleet. The Scout is as fast and as lovely as always. But at least he is also cheaper than trying to re-design the same ship again, so the blueprint stays for now.

We can have a maximum of twenty different classes, but with the way the game works, we’ll probably never be in a situation where we actually need that many. Also as a reminder for dumb bullshit, the numbers here are all “weight units”. 10 Weapons means 100t weight, it translates to a combat strength of 1.

Our first new class is the Retribution, a 50000t battlecruiser. Right now it would take too long to build them, but in the future they will be the backbone of our fleets. It has giant guns, moderate armor and is slow as gently caress.

The MCHammer-class is a 40k tons cruiser. The ship is very slightly faster than our battlecruiser, but has the same balance of moderate armor and high offensive power. The ship is probably a more efficient warship than our heavyweight, but we’ll see how it goes in actual combat.

Interesting to remember is: Every ship weight class comes with a bonus to armor. So this means even though it looks like our 50k tons battlecruiser has only slightly more armor, the ship gets 2 more strength to defense than the MCHammer. Which is enough to neutralize two scouts’ worth of firepower.

The MCHammer gets +8 base defense strength, the Retribution gets +10. In terms of raw weight, this means to get the real combat numbers you have to adjust the numbers in the screenshot by +(bonus*10).

The Shield-class destroyers will be our main defense for the near future. When our new scouts are finished, the very next bunch of ships ordered will be these ones. Five of those should be some basic defense while we’re scouting and building up our forces.

The Scout2 is just a heavier variant with some more armor and weapons. It’s a little bit slower and has +1 to its defense, thanks to being twice as heavy. Basically the fast frigate to our basic corvettes.

Occasionally, I’ll be creating some ground forces, too. Just assume I’m doing this every odd turn, so I don’t have to make the same screenshot over and over again, OK?

Year: 2023

And our plan worked: Pluto is recolonized!

This is a good opportunity to send some of our population over to Pluto 2.0, before we start hitting the cap and start suffering the consequences.

Thanks to our shenanigans, Pluto now has the same technology level as our capital, sweet! Now let’s send some people over there. 7,2 million across an entire planet probably feel really lonely.

Ark-ship time!

Our technology is barely advanced enough to look into the next system over, so I have to put building a spy antenna on the back burner for now. On the other hand, the other systems after our next neighbor are pretty far away, so if you really want to, I’ll still build one. Even a lovely antenna still gives us some turns forewarning in case of attack.

Stockpiling all the poo poo from our dead colonies worked! For the first time ever build time is showing an accurate number!

Pluto gets its own tech subsidy. If our economy allows it, I’ll boost infrastructure and defenses more in later turns, but for now max tech and some pennies the Emperor found on the ground for the rest is enough.

For some reason reshuffling entire planetary populations and building ships hasn’t forced us to import stuff. I’m not complaining, exports are our only source of money, after all!

We don’t have many robots or heavy power plants and some other important stuff looks like it will run out with my next build order, but for now we’re good.

Some last good news for turn 3: Our people love Emperor Cimbri!

Next: Scouting the Neighbors

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Have we even had one post so far without the game crashing on you at least once?

I look forward to seeing what bizarre curveballs the game "mechanics" will throw us this time around.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i love that the programmers tried to implement a three-dimensional map, which most of the modern space sims don't seem to attempt, before they implemented 'switch between windows by clicking on them'

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just a short head's up and apology in one: I was a bit too busy with other poo poo for this LP, sorry for the unexpected hiatus. Updates commence again on the weekend!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hooray, thanks brother

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Years 2024 –2026: Exploring the Known

And we’re back! This time I made a small buffer again, so I can make another update over the week (because gently caress playing this deranged game during my work week). I've now settled in to a nice rythm of playing an hour or two on Saturday or Sunday, followed by writing 1-2 new updates over the weekend and the following week. Hopefully this means I can end this game without burning out myself.

Whatever game you voted for, it'll be a lot better for me at least, since I only put games on that list I personally like to play. (Also, I think I'll add a short voting update after this post later this day.)

Year: 2024

Also, our two new scouts have been finished.

Also, lots of colonists arrive on Pluto, bringing our first “new” colony up to speed.

CosmicAfro is still in space, getting closer to his first exploration-target.

After looking at my list of goons, AJ-Impy is the next up for a command post. So he gets to command Rec 03.

Sadly, this means I now have to fight with the map-UI again. Remember, I can’t actually select systems like here shown, I have to go deeper and select a planet from within, click SEND ITEM TO CLIPBOARD, then go out of the map screen entirely to use the clipboard and the military menu both at the same time to actually assign a target for one of our fleets. :shepface:

Like this. Planet Phrecrg is now not selected, but available for selection throw two completely different menus. Now that’s some game play right there.

After a while and slowly getting a cramp in the hand from all that pixel-perfect clicking, I finally have enough potential targets for our mighty explorers!

CosmicAfro is still on his way to Smoias, so no changes necessary for now.

This is Stoius, just in case you forgot over the entire loving month of me doing poo poo I actually like. According to the manual, the sun is absolute poo poo-tier, the planet type nearly so and atmosphere-type is the best. Overall, it’s not very good.

On the other hand, there could be Nostrum. So KirbyKhan is flying over there right now. Sorry, KirbyKhan, your 1-year holiday on Pluto thanks to me forgetting about you for a turn is now over!

And here’s Luatax, hard to find outside the map screen because there are three other planets with deceptively similar names. (Please give me something to rename this planet.) Luatax is a mirror to Stoius: lovely atmosphere, but good star type. OK, the planet type is also a level better, so slightly better overall.

AJ_Impy gets his Imperial orders and will be soon on his way.

Therte is next on my list. lovely sun, average planet type, good atmosphere. Next!

Planet Oh God Please Give Me A Better Name, also called “Phrecrg”. Good sun, average planet type, still not bad atmosphere. Slightly better than Therte.

Since Planet Unpronounceable is slightly better, Son Ryo gets orders to fly over and take a closer look.

Now that my two new scouts have their orders, let’s build more ships! 5 destroyers of our Shield-class are ordered.

My plan here is to give them to our Home Fleet to have some chance at blasting enemy ships into space dust in case of invasion. Following that, I’ll be ordering 5 or 10 of our MCHammer-class cruisers so we can to some invading of our own.

This of course depends on how much parts we can produce/buy when it is time. Remember: Raw building time is always the same, regardless of if you’re building 1 or 10 ships of a given class. The amount of needed parts can drag out a building order far longer then you may have planned for, though. So even if I feel like wasting good time, building 5 warships will probably be the better solution.

The money for the order gets allocated immediately. (I learned from my gently caress ups from last time.)

Emperor Cimbri’s popularity is still rising. Mad military buildup? Transporting millions of people around like cattle? People love it!

Our first crash this post. Another misclick into empty space instead of the window.

Our combined population is over a billion now. Humanity seems saved from extinction for now! Our treasury is full. Not full enough for the build order I just did, but who cares? It’s not like we can produce the parts anyway. Nope, we still have to wait. A lot.

After our Ark Ship arrived, Pluto is now in far better shape. Also gently caress, I totally forgot to put Pyroi back as planet leader here! (Consider Verres Pyroi’s vice governor or something, I'll unfuck this soon.)

Our capital looks good. Generally every odd turn, Emperor Cimbri is conscripting new troops just to be on the safe side.

Again, we learned new troops start at half strength and take a lot of turns at peace to get to full strength. So the reason why the last battle of Take 1 was a huge stalemate was grounded in this: Every 100 divisions we recruited to fight the aliens started at half strength and got slowly worse every turn. The enemy on the other hand had his fleet to help out and started at peak efficiency. This time, we will be prepared!

Year: 2025

This year, nothing happens. As always, this is a lie. There could be a lot happening, the game has just some very strict ideas of what is worth reporting and what is not.

Last time we learned to our horrified surprise this simple fact: If you get a message about something terrible, it’s already too late.

Our new Home Fleet is still a long way off. As you know, that remaining build time won’t budge until our space yards have all the material they need. At least this time I didn’t drag things further out by forgetting to pay them. :shepface:

CosmicAfro is still in space.

KirbyKhan: The same

Just imagine I copy/pasted the last bit and added AJ-Impy’s name.

Last scout is Son Ryo. All four scouts are having adventures in space right now.

As you can see, we have a slight surplus for everything our population could need, but we lack a lot of stuff for ship building. All those zeroes? We need that crap.

Our economic AI for some reason sees nothing wrong with this, we make more money (good), but import nothing even though we need a lot of imports for our ships (bad).

Another annoying thing: Our economic AI disagrees with me over Pluto’s development. Emperor Cimbri can order technology levels and that other crap to be raised again and again. Next turn, the Imperial Subsidy will be erased from the computers. No subsidy for Pluto allowed!

Seriously, an AI being dumb I expect, but an AI fighting the player over input? This is too silly for me. As long as no new monetary catastrophe looms, the economic AI gets switched off.

Year: 2026

A new year, no new messages. gently caress, I have to manually look at all my stats again? Man, you guys can feel lucky you don’t have to look up all those almost identical looking information windows to try to find out if something important has happened. I'm already doing this for you, after all.

My posts would probably double in screenshot count if I’d do this. :v:

Still, our last try has made me paranoid enough to do a lot of boring stuff you don’t need to know about, like looking up every single Alien Fleet. And yes, every single fleet of every single alien empire is called “Alien Fleet”. Simple, but confusing. It’s the Imperium-way of doing things.

Anyway, no alien fleet is targeting us for now or close enough to tell, so no they’re no threat for now. We can continue to build up forces and explore our surroundings.

Next time: Waiting for our build order to start. :suicide:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i love this

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Commodore's log, Commodore AJ_Impy, scout flotilla Rec 03

We are underway towards Luatax, or as it shall henceforth be known, Ajtea. I intend to rename half the galaxy after myself, because, let's face it, aliens can't name poo poo for poo poo. So, onward, for the glory of Humanity, Aurora and Emperor Cimbri!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I hope this won't be the first case of an LP resulting in LP'er suicide.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, I have some planet names:

Namek
Spligborp
Dfasd;lkgj
Walter
Kepler
Omicron Persei 8
Pyroiland

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Bob's a good name for a planet.

For a slightly shittier planet, how about Chiron Beta Prime?

I'm still in awe of what a clusterfuck of a game this is. Obviously at least a little of that is probably owed to its being ported between platforms/developed for multiple platforms, but it's loving nutso the inane hoops it presents the player to jump through, it's just insane at its core.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, the update is late again. Sorry about that. Your planet names are noted, start expecting renamings next time around.

Years 2027 –2031: Empire Building

Year: 2027

In 2027, things are moving again.

Cosmic Afro reaches Smoias.

Hyperman1992 sends us a message about the Hierarchy acting up again.

Now the question is: Are the Hierarchy-forces attacking us again or just colonizing some more planets?

Our space yards still don’t have enough parts to commence building.

At least we started importing parts now, so hopefully this boosts our ship building a bit.

Since our economic AI is now switched off, I’ll take the plunge into the madness and adjust our production. Slightly more technology and industry, a lot more military goods and consumer items suffer a bit. Hopefully this means our shipyards get more done faster. Little Timmy won’t get his brand new PS9, though.

Now that the AI can’t interfere, I’m giving Pluto another subsidy. This time for real.

Pluto has now enough colonists living on it I can start raising some troops.

Psyche! Of course 3 divisions aren’t enough, 17 armored divisions follow.

Lowtax now has 235 divisions defending our capital. Most of them at 50% strength, of course.

Pyroi is still on holiday, but his deputy Verres took on his duty as overseer on this year’s military parade. It’s also coincidentally Pluto’s first military parade, since the Imperial Army was basically non-existent before this year.

[Year: 2028

This year we’re flooded with messages.

First, a mystery gets solved: The Hierarchy isn’t attacking right now, just colonizing.

OK, either there was an earlier invasion force I’ve forgotten about or the Hierarchy send out multiple fleets last turn. Since the news system is so opaque, both are equally possible things.

Now I’m sure I haven’t overlooked two invasion messages by the Hierarchy, or have I? :confused: Anyway, Hierarchy has now three planets more. Ugh.

The question I’m asking myself after reading this message: Is this a news item for force which reached their goal inside a single turn and colonized it, or does it mean another, fourth force is being send out?

Another goon warns us about the foreboding realm of Standard. Those clowns don’t want to fall behind and are preparing their own forces.

At this point you already know what this means.

The United States of Universal Robots are another empire which wants to get frisky.

They’ve send their own invasion/colonization force.

After this massive wave of bad news, I’m eagerly looking up our build order. Still not enough parts. And this with only half the maximum order size and still rather small ships!

The economic AI is still off and it shows: This time, the subsidy continues without being erased.

Imports for our shipyards continue.

Our shipyards still eat both local production and imports faster than we can get them. We’re slowly getting a large surplus on weapons, though. Maybe it’s time to lower military production a bit?

Thanks to me giving control to our economic AI during the first years, we still have a lot of money. Our population is now about 50% larger then just a couple years ago. Looks like we’re slowly getting to the point where we have to expand or die.

Most of our population is on the capital and we’re slowly drifting closer to the point where population pressure will start to hurt us.

Pluto is now rather healthy and productive, thanks to the Ark ship bringing more colonists. It’s still an underdeveloped hellhole, of course. Stability is only slightly worse than on the capital, integrity is at max and loyalty is even higher than on the capital.
Material infrastructure like roads, hospitals and the like is basically non-existent, though. Probably because of this, moral infrastructure (basically people’s morale), is also low.

Just as a reminder: Son Ryo is still in space.

The same goes for our other space goons.

KirbyKhan: Still spaced out.

But of course, I almost forgot! Cosmic Afro is in orbit above Smoias. Time for some new orders, I’m paging Emperor Cimbri this very moment!

Imperial Command draws one of the other planets in our investigation-list. Due to some hiccup in the databases, this planet gets assigned the name of our old capital-in-exile, Tratsys. So Tratsys is another planet in dire need of renaming!

Time to send someone to take a look!

Here’s Smoias again. Since our planet needs more production capabilities than I first thought, I guess it’s time to colonize the planet.

Cosmic Afro finally gets new orders from Emperor Cimbri: Smoias is to be “colonized”, followed by a swift journey to Tratsys.

Year: 2029

2029 sees a moderate influx of news.

Cosmic Afro colonized Smoias in record time, before continuing onwards to his next target.

KirbyKhan, after almost 8 years in space, finally arrives over Stoius.

AJ_Impy knows what he’s doing and sends the most important message first: Nostrum detected! Early Game Over: Averted!

I guess Nostrum-detection happens automatically when entering a new star system, because the arrival-message followed after this one.

After detecting Nostrum, AJ_Impy moves into orbit above Luatax, the only planet in the system.

Of course, our building order is still hanging due to missing parts. :shepface:

I’m normalizing production somewhat. Consumer items are still below everything else, but we stopped stockpiling handguns like mad.

Our wealth is still rising.

Conscripting millions of soldiers: Emperor Cimbri’s approval rate skyrockets.

Smoias is a jewel compared to Pluto, which is just jewel-encrusted poo poo. Stability and moral infrastructure are already higher than on Pluto, which is basically next to Lowtax.
Loyalty is a bit lower, most likely because the planet is so far away from the capital. Material infrastructure is almost at zero, which is not surprising, considering the colony was just founded last year.

Without more population, the colony will only grow very slow and be a drain on us, even though the planet is rather good. Time to do something!

Low population is thankfully an easy issue to solve, so I’m sending an Ark Ship carrying a couple million colonists over to Smoias.

Back AJ_Impy, the Emperor orders him to “colonize” Luatax. We need those drugs!

We also need a new exploration-target after colonizing Luatax, so I’m forcing myself to use the map screen again.
After some searching, I add Drider to my list of possible targets.

I have to be careful now, with so many enemy fleets moving around, so I check every time for enemy colonies before adding a new target to my list.

Drider: Hopefully not a planet filled with spider/human-hybrids

Lieter is the last target this time around. All items are now in the clipboard, so I can look the planets up later, or assign them to fleet orders.

Alloylux. Planet type is good, star type is average and atmosphere type is rather poo poo. Basically average overall.

Lieter. Worst star type, bad planet type, bad atmosphere type. Hopefully there will be no Nostrum here, so I can just avoid this piece of poo poo.

More orders are issued. AJ_Impy moves on to Alloylux.

Year: 2030

Now with that hectic wave of colonization and exploration behind us, we’re back to not much happening.

Luatax becomes our forth planet.

Considering “Relics” are supposed to be good things, I’m guessing Luatax is basically paradise planet.

We now have a yearly production of 87 units of Nostrum! Not nearly enough, thanks to our influx of new goons this time around. After doing some math I decide to give 51 units to Emperor Cimbri to halt his aging completely and give every other goon 1 unit to slow down their aging. This gives us some reserve units for emergencies.

When we find some more planets, I’ll prioritize fleet commands, explorers, planet leaders and goons who are ambassadors. In exact that order. Subordinates who are not goons are going to get hosed over, but welp, I don’t have an infinite well of Nostrum so some weeds must be weeded out. :shrug:

Luatax has just become our second important planet next to the capital, so of course an Ark Ship is send to it ASAP.

And Smoias gets a small subsidy, too. The amount of money I’m pouring into infrastructure and defenses are laughably small, but this subsidy is more meant to hold up our average tech level.

100 units (10 million Imperial Zongs) are the maximum you can give to boost technology. You can boost defenses and material infrastructure by thousands of units. I’m not doing that except in emergencies, though.

Luatax, as imperial planet Nr. 2, gets a bit more. Infrastructure and defenses are subsidized with 20 million Imperial Zongs each, while technology gets the customary maximum of 10 million again. The duration is set to less then half of my other subsidies, because I’m guessing after ten years I’ll be able to dial down non-tech subsidies a bit.

Next time: No news again. Will our construction finally start? Stay tuned!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 14, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm enjoying this trainwreck, even I can't quite put together in my head how this sounded like a good idea to you. May you suffer long and prosper? :v:

Good to see you avoiding...SOME of the numerous ways the game will happily gently caress you over. I have to wonder if this game was play-tested at all. It seems pretty rough around the edges even for a product of its time.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Commodore's log, Commodore AJ_Impy, scout flotilla Rec 03

Nostrum! Ajtea is packed with the stuff, enough to make our glorious emperor Cimbri live forever! Also enough that I, along with a bare handful of Cimbri's most loyal goons, get to extend my lifespan, so long as my scoutships don't run into anything fatal. Our next destination is set, so to continue my tradition of naming everything I can find after myself, and as a tip of the hat to our immortal emperor, I christen this one Imperatoria!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Re: Re: Re: Re: Office

Okay guys, listen, I know that we all want a fancy office with all the expensive gilded computers and engraved walls, but this is getting ridiculous, the Emperor still hasn't given me my proper paycheck OR my very important drugs yet, and if you don't open this door RIGHT NOW I WILL HAVE THE MILITIA RIP OUT YOUR EYES AND FEED THEM TO THE SPACE OCTOPI THAT BROUGHT US HERE!

Thanks,

Chief Super Governor Supreme Pyroi

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So how long has it been, now, between you starting construction, and construction actually BEGINNING? Like how many in-game turns/years?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

So how long has it been, now, between you starting construction, and construction actually BEGINNING? Like how many in-game turns/years?

The build order for our five 30k ton destroyers was made in 2024. Right now it's 2031 and construction hasn't begun yet. That's 7 turns of waiting now.

In the future I'll do this slightly different, by looking up which type of production produces which parts and then trying to boost them massively throughout the buying phase, alternating with massively boosting civilian stuff during building phase.

Edit:

Also we have some more good planets now. Hopefully in the future this means less time waiting for our shipyards to buy parts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Yeah, this reminds me. I need all goons who joined the Aurora Empire to give me a number. That number will be your yearly salary in Imperial Zongs. Don't get greedy, if your characters ever do something impressive/get assigned a job, I'll give you pay rises anyway.

I'm also already thinking about what LP I want to do after this. I have three candidates right now and I probably keep mentioning them once a month while weighing your opinions.

1. An obscure German point + click adventure game. Standard LP without much audience input.
2. Ultimate Master of Orion III: Heavily modded version of MO3 with some limited audience input. We can either go easy mode (monarchist robots) or hard mode (scientist crystals).
3. Space Empires V: Mostly vanilla, with some self-made modifications when it makes sense. Protagonist race is made by me, but the audience can decide what kind of frankensteinian race can be our rival.

Ultimately, I want to LP all three of them, you guys just decide which one will be next.

Sorry, over the holidays I completely forgot to post your votes: (Updated)

Master of Orion III ULTIMATE EDITION: 4,5
Space Empires V: Vanilla or Mods, depending on my mood: 3
German Space Adventure Game (name witheld so you don't go and google it): 3

Well, gently caress. I already started preparations for a MO3-LP, but it looks like I misrembered some of the votes. A couple guys went and voted for two games simultaneously (at least I think that's what votes like "I like those two games more then that third game" meant in your head), so I had to dole out half-votes to compensate. And MO3 is now actually losing! (Edit: Not anymore.)

Welp, you have another round of voting to do, I guess. This semi-three-way-tie is kind of an interesting result, though. :v:

On this LP: I loving hate this game, but now that the holidays are over, I'm forcing myself to continue with updates. Next update is ugh, Sunday.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 1, 2016

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
I'll toss a vote in for MO3, since I've literally never seen that game played before.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
IIRC MoO3 has some fan made patches/mods which make it somewhat salvageable.

Still, even the base MoO3 should be better then Imperium.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mightypeon posted:

IIRC MoO3 has some fan made patches/mods which make it somewhat salvageable.

Still, even the base MoO3 should be better then Imperium.

There's a reason the voting option is called MO3 ULTIMATE. :haw:

Edit:

I'm taking your post as another vote for MO3, so +2 votes for MO3 recorded.

Edit2:

This reminds me, I have another weird space game on my HDDs I can make a LP of. Like it's basically standard with me, the game isn' exactly vanilla, since I once used dark space magic to mod alternative pictures into it. But as it turns out, Lost Empire: Immortals is rather hard to mod and whatever I did uglified the UI something fierce. The game service I bought the game from is MIA nowadays and a reinstall not possible. But at least the game is rather simple and easy explain. It's basically a 4X reduced to its bare essentials. It also allows ridiculous things like a map with 5000 star systems and thousands of ships.

After flipping through my manual again, I immediately found more oddities in Lost Empires, like the fact that putting computers into your brain make you bad at fighting and living under Emperor Palpatine gives you great personal freedom. :shepface:

Master of Orion III ULTIMATE EDITION: 4,5
German Space Adventure Game (name witheld so you don't go and google it): 3
Lost Empire: Ugly Immortals: 0

Libluini fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 2, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Years 2031 –2036: Debt Rising

Year: 2031

:sigh: Welp, to get to those other, more interesting LPs I better get on with this. In 2031 I remember to give everyone their drugs. Emperor Cimbri gets enough to be immortal +1, to be on the safe side.

After Cimbri getting more than half of our yearly growth of Space Heroin, every goon gets 2, which is barely enough to slow down aging by 50%. For every two turns, a goon will age a year. And as a fair warning, Emperor Cimbri now has the power to execute everyone of you by taking away your drugs: Nostrum-Withdrawal is lethal and will kill you dead in one turn.

This also means, if our Nostrum-planet is taken over and we have to live from our slowly growing stockpile, I will be forced to kill all goons to let our Emperor live for a couple more turns.

I also give every active fleet commander a slight pay-raise up to 300k IZ per turn.

With some delay, Pyroi finally takes over Pluto as planet leader. Thanks to his drug-allotment, he has now 32 years until I have to make some hard decisions. (Normally, the game would start rolling for his death in 16 turns.)

Pluto has seen some changes, thanks to an ark-ship arriving with commodities and colonists.

Since it has been a while, please remember every point of population equals 100k people, while every point of garrison is a division of 50-100% combat strength, depending on how many turns have passed since their creation. Ship Pool Size and Tech Level are the two only values here you can take at face value. Everything else has some hidden meaning I have to look up in the manual first. :shepface:

Year: 2032

This year, the game pretends nothing has happened. In other games, this may even be true!

First, I take stock of our drug reserve. Supplying our emperor and every goon eats up most of our yearly production. The small rest is slowly collecting in our reserve. Right now, we can survive two turns of being cut off before our Emperor runs out and drops dead. Second, I go through menus and poo poo to make sure everything is still running well.

Year: 2033

Again, no messages. Again, I’m looking through half a dozen menus to make sure no crisis looms in the near future.

Year: 2034

In 2034, thinks start happening. Our Ark-Ship arrives at (soon to be renamed) Smoias.

Luatax gets a visit from our second Ark-Ship. Two more colonies supplied! And two renamings I totally forgot for several more turns. Welp.

Our tech-level is finally high enough a space antenna on our capital planet can reach out to two other systems. On order of Emperor Cimbri, our first space antenna will be built.

Luatax can catch another system close-by. Eh, good enough. And maybe some extra-warning when enemy fleets come from that direction.

Smoias: The same.

Just to put things into perspective, our fast scouts can travel 7 points of range per turn. A “range” of 33-35 points means five years of travel from the first point of contact to the place the antenna sits. Every other ship is either slower or prohibitively expensive. Game mechanics make it impossible to travel faster than 10 points, by the way. That’s the highest speed you get when you build a ship with 100% engines and nothing else.

(And no, engines aren’t getting better ever. Only hull size and building speed change with higher tech-levels. :shepface: )

Building three deep space spy antennas is costly and all our savings are wiped out immediately. gently caress it.

Cimbri is still rather high in popularity. But we’re halfway to our first election now.

Of course, our building order is still… Wait a minute, what the gently caress? OK, wow. Looks like waiting time is over, ship building has actually started this turn!

Status capital: Everything important rising. Except for stability, which is falling. (Remember, this is also a good thing.)

Pluto this turn. My subsidy is still working on infrastructure, no changes otherwise.

Luatax: Also good.

Our last overview for this turn: Smoias. No problems here, either. Welp, that’s it for this year, then. :shrug:

Year: 2036

I’m guessing here our massive antenna building program and our resulting debt is the reason for Emperor Cimbri’s small dip in popularity. But eh, as long as we stay above 60%, we’re reasonably safe.

Still three years until our new destroyers are finished, but at least the shipyards are working now.

Next time: Planet Unpronouncable finally makes me remember to rename things with goon suggestions.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 3, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

quote:

This year, the game pretends nothing has happened. In other games, this may even be true!

This game feels like something the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books would have produced. :v:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Another vote for MoO3, because this LP has me in the mood for some trainwrecks!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Gonna cast my vote for German space game. I'm..95% sure I haven't voted already, in spite of that vote being up for a while.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I don't remember your name from my last vote count, so I think you're safe for now.

Updated vote:

Master of Orion III ULTIMATE EDITION: 5,5
German Space Adventure Game (name witheld so you don't go and google it): 4

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
Am I still able to vote?

If so, I'd like to see the Adventures in Space of what is German

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
If it is still possible to vote I would like to vote for German Space Command Game Thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Eh, I don't remember your name from my last vote count, so I think you're safe for now.

Updated vote:

Master of Orion III ULTIMATE EDITION: 5,5
German Space Adventure Game (name witheld so you don't go and google it): 6 (+2)

OK, the new votes are in. Also:

:frogsiren: New update is incoming! :frogsiren:

I've finally finished writing the next update, now I only need to post it, add the screenshots and all that jazz. Expect the update in 1-2 hours, max.

Edit:

Something funny I just noticed: As soon as I sat down and wrote a nearly 3k words long introduction for my future MOIII-LP, votes for another game started rolling in. :suicide:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 11, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Years 2037 –2041: The Good, the Bad and the Really Ugly News

Year: 2037

This year, Son Ryo reaches the planet which reminds me of finally renaming things with goon suggestions. Or Phrecrg for short. :shepface:

Since I deleted the old report long ago, I have two options to look at this planet: Going to the map, going to our fleets, going to Son Ryo’s ship, going to the system he is in, select the planet, send the planet to the clipboard, go to the clipboard menu, look the planet up.

Alternatively, I can go into the long list of all planets in the sector and try to find the planet among dozens of others with similar brutally hard to read names. Some of which are like just one or two letters off in the name, which means risking to get the wrong report. gently caress that, the long route needs more clicking but is safer that way.

So this is the jewel of the Blosys-system, huh? Good star type, average planet type and slightly above average atmosphere. The planet is also rather far away from the sun, which in Imperium The Game For Serious Game Players translates into being good.

Remember, Pluto in our home system is rather productive in spite of being a lifeless ball of ice because of this.

This is Krik, from our list of recon targets. Star type and atmosphere are acceptable, but the planet type is somewhat lacking. About average, overall.

Anyway, planet P. is good enough for a colonization, so Son Ryo gets right on that.

He also receives one of Pyroi’s naming suggestions, mixed in with some other, rather bad ones. Son Ryo wisely decides to go with Pyroi’s suggestion and renames P. to Kepler, in honor of an ancient pre-imperial astronomer called Johannes Kepler.

AJ_Impy renamed Luatax to Ajtea and plans to name his next colony Imperatoria, let’s hope he finds some good planets then. :v:

Shady Amish Terror suggested Bob and Chiron Beta as names, so I renamed another planet to Bob. It took me some time looking through screenshots to find out which one, though. Welp, the fault clearly lies with the game having so many hard to remember names!

This was once Smoias, if you want to know.

Year: 2038

KirbyKhan reaches the planet of spider/man hybrids.

“Kepler” is colonized.

Another piece of good news: Our ships are finished next year!

Emperor Cimbri is still beloved by the people.

Even though the AI is switched off for the moment (to keep our subsidies running), our debt sinks a bit.

Our new planet needs one of those subsidies, by the way. Tech level maximum, as always and the rest gets a slow one-time boost for the first ten years.

The population pressure on Lowtax gets another hit, since I can now send another Ark Ship. 5% of billions of people are still a lot of new colonists. The extra commodities should keep the new colonists well fed and happy.

Thrarnon starts my new exploration list. With some of our explorers having reached their old goal, we need more planets for them. Thrarnon has the best planet type, a good atmosphere type and one of the worst star types, which overall makes the planet average again.

Liater is from the same star system and has the same star problems. (Obviously.) Planet type is average and atmosphere is kind of lovely. Liater looks a bit like Earth in the picture, but is curiously bad compared with the Jupiter-look a like Thrarnon.

I guess Thrarnon has some good moons or something. :shrug:

Then we have Alloolux. Alloolux is poo poo-tier. Next!

Thete on the other hand, is slightly better than Liater.

Anyway, while I’m thinking of potentially colonizing more planets in the Shersys-System, I order KirbyKhan to colonize Drider. Spider-monsters or not, the planet is good enough for us.

We need more drugs, though. Good planets alone won’t help us in the long run. My next recon target is the Staysys-System. As you can see on the map, it lies basically in between our colonies and if we find a good planet here, we can link up the two halves of our empire. Now let's take a look at the main planet here.

B2 is an even worse star type then K8, poo poo. Planet type is average and the atmosphere at least is good (second best actually). After everything is taken into account, Therte seems to be about average. At least it won’t drag us down.

I’m still hoping we will find some Nostrum here, though.

Son Ryo gets new orders from Emperor Cimbri: His ship immediately leaves orbit and accelerates towards the Staysys-System.

Year: 2039

gently caress, 2039 is one of those years, eh?

This time, Cosmic Afro is the one to reach new horizons for the Aurora Empire.

Drider joins us as a new colony. And I decide Drider is good enough on its own, so the name stays. :colbert:

Finally, our ships have been finished!

Looks like our space antennas got finished on the same turn as our ships. Nice!

As I thought, the rest of the messages are about our antennas.

With three antennas in our three core systems, we should get ample warning if some other empire wants to move in. Which is good, because looking up fleets all named the same manually over the map is horrifyingly hard.

And I’m still not sure if we can even get reliable positions if we don’t have an antenna. Last time around Earth had one, but our capital-in-exile didn’t. ChiefGune got his head cut off too fast for me to fumble around more in the map. Right now I think the answer is a “Maybe”.

Drider belongs to us now! And as a small mercy, all planets joining a player-empire get moved out from their old place in the list and put behind our last colony. Only 300k people live on Drider right now, but I’m planning on changing that.

In a strange twist of fate it turns out I have to: 19078 units of population come close to the threshold of 22k units. From now on, we will have to colonize, or bad poo poo will happen on our capital. (And every other planets going over the population limit.)

Let’s hope we can win the game before too many of our planets reach critical population mass at the same time. I don’t think Imperium can handle dozens of AI-empires splitting off from us and entering the game. :shepface: 19078 units are about 1,9 billion people, by the way.

Drider isn’t the best planet for this, but gently caress it. We need to unload people before the merciless mathematics of overpopulation brings trouble and unrest to our capital. We send close to 200 million people to Drider.

As per standard in the Aurora Empire, Drider gets a nice initial boost for ten years.

Interestingly, my method of pumping up tech levels like mad paid off already: Our largest class is now 700 instead of 600 weight units. (1 unit = 100 tons). I prepare the Awful Day-class Superdreadnought, just in case we slip back. 70000 tons of pure destruction and slow as a fat goon. If we ever get to build those things, expect them to smash everything in their path.

If you go back and compare, the Awful Day-class is already more powerful than the weird super-ships the AI send against us in Round 1. Hopefully we can get our economy strong enough to actually build them.

Of course I made the game crash just after the last screenshot, so I had to redo the Awful Day-class. The new version has slightly more firepower and slightly less armor. It’s theoretically a bit faster, but it still rounds to about two points of range per turn.

This means a fleet of those things would need 15+ years to reach the next system over. poo poo, I think we can only use these ships as defenders, they’re more like mobile star bases than ships.

After finishing (and saving) our new class, I move up and decide to build five of our MCHammer-class cruisers. The smaller destroyers will protect the capital, while the cruisers will be our first attack fleet.

In twenty years, when our yards finish them. :sigh:

Even though the five 40k ton cruisers are still rather modest, I need an obscene amount of money to pay the yards. And remember, all the parts needed for the ships still have to come from somewhere, so the remaining build time won’t actually start for many, many turns.

Also I forgot the economy AI is switched off. Our destroyers caused the AI to do some weird money magic to prevent us from going into debt, this time the AI can’t do jack and we’re going down.

Year: 2040

After all the good news, Imperium suddenly remembers players aren’t allowed to have fun.

Earthquakes don’t do much damage, though. After looking over Kepler, I can’t even really see any major losses. I’m guessing here losses caused by a disaster depend on percentages and since Kepler is still young, there isn’t much to destroy.

Oh and of course our shipyards start doing nothing while the necessary parts roll in.

My brain gets switched back on this turn and I suddenly remember I have four brand new destroyers waiting in our pool. Poor PurpleXVI finally gets some ships to command in Home Fleet.

Far better. Interestingly, Home Fleet is now stronger than all of the ships we build during Round 1 combined. We’re not doing badly this time around. Ignoring the economy paid off!

Since he now has an active fleet command, I give PurpleXVI a slight pay rise and the military title of “Centurian”. (Don’t look at me, I didn’t program this stupid game.)

Kepler is slowly growing. The earthquakes were so devastating, the population quadrupled during the last year! :shepface:

Whatever the disaster did, apparently my subsidies plus natural population growth outmatched it greatly. The planet is even more stable than before the disaster hit!

Our debt is now truly gigantic. Luckily there is no way to stop a ship build order in progress, for good or for bad. The Empire may crumble around us in the near future, but we will get our five cruisers!

Our Nostrum-stock is slowly rising. Still, we consume like 90% of our production, this isn’t good. Hell, alone to keep our Emperor alive we already need more than half.

Emperor Cimbri’s popularity is still at a resounding 68%. Let’s see if the titanic debt will change this in the future. :v:

Ajtea meanwhile has run through the initial boosting subsidiary, so I make a smaller one, mostly to keep the tech level up.

You can really see at which point I started a new build order, right? At least this time I keep my hands off the planets. Since the planets are unable to make debt and don’t even get drained to pay for Imperial debts, taking their money is the worst decision I made back in Round 1.

At least this way our economy still kind of works, since all economy game mechanics deal with planets: As long as our planets have money to trade commodities, debt basically doesn’t exist. Still, any bets if we can get our debt high enough to get an overflow-error and go to super-rich?

We’re still coasting on the last AI-approved settings. The Hierarchy and Trumpia are buying poo poo like mad from us, while only Trumpia and USUR are selling us stuff. The Standard Empire completely ignores us.

I feel we’re in for a long wait if we have to depend on imports for our ship building program. Also I’m really hoping our diplomatic AI isn’t loving up. I sure as hell don’t want to deal with this poo poo, last time I got us invaded, after all.

To boost our ship production, I move all sliders except consumer items to the right. Then I move the military slider a little step back because most of this is stuff like militia arms, which is nice to have but not really important for ship production.

After re-reading the manual to make sure I didn’t miss anything it turns out I wasn’t entirely correct here. Consumer items are indeed mostly useless, as I thought. Space ship equipment and personnel both fall under military though, which makes this slider as important as technology and industrial.

I also ignored the total amounts needed per tonnage. This means the screenshot above basically shows me creating a huge bottleneck. Technology can be taken back a bit, since we only need about half as many computers per ton than raw materials (industry) and the military poo poo.

Interestingly, I found something new while reading the manual: Every empire can have a total maximum of ten fleets and a total maximum of eighty ships. And yeah, only one build order at a time. Shipyards in Imperium are all unionized, it seems.

As you can see, a lot of important things are constantly at zero, since neither our imports nor our production can keep up. We need to boost industry and military production next time, or we’ll have to wait another twenty years for our ship building to start.

If we boost both military and industrial production massively, while boosting technology slightly and cutting consumer goods back by an unhealthy amount, we should be able to eliminate all bottlenecks except for rare earth elements. We aren’t getting enough even though right now technology is slightly boosted anyway. But only one bottleneck means our shipyards should have an easier time importing the missing stuff.

Now we’ll have to see what our population thinks about this, of course. The requirements for keeping our people happy are the exact opposite, after all. :shepface:

Even though I promised myself to never touch this again, I meddle in our taxation and reduce export taxes slightly. But only to the empires we aren’t exporting to right now! This way at least we won’t lose money and maybe the AI will be more inclined to buy poo poo from us.

So, both of our non-trading partners get a slightly better deal.

After dealing with the economy, we have to go back to the map for more inane switching on and off of various UI-elements.

The thing is, I had Tratsys in my clipboard, I really did. But then before our brave explorer reached it I erased it again. So I had to go through the map UI to find out where Tratsys actually is. In retrospective, I probably should have gone through the list. Tratsys at least isn’t that bad of a name. And there aren’t that many doubles with slightly different names to trip you up.

To fresh up your memories from Round 1, Tratsys has the second best planet- and atmosphere types and the best star type. Tratsys is good. For continuity reasons the planet will get renamed later, of course.

Phaison is another planet in the same system. The atmosphere is slightly worse, but the planet type slightly better. This makes Phaison another gas giant as good as an Earth-like planet. Woah, there are a lot of Earth-like moons in this universe, aren’t there?

Bloims falls down the ladder, sadly. Star- and planet type are both the best, but the atmosphere is acidic, which is the worst possible type. If we ever get into trouble with too many planets reaching their maximum population threshold, Bloims will be a nice candidate to unload people on, but until then I pass.

Since both planets are good enough, Emperor Cimbri orders Cosmic Afro to colonize them. One after another.

Now there’s the question of KirbyKhan, who now sits in orbit over Drider, again with nothing else to do.

After some searching in the map screens, I settle on Krayk as new target for him. The planet is basically a bell curve: Extremely lovely star, the best planet type, followed by a below-average atmosphere.

My screen when I give orders to our fleets. This is one of the rare moments in this game when clicking on another window is not only possible, but required. In every other menu you risk crashing the game.

There’s a reason I use multiple save states for this game.

KirbyKhan’s orders are finished and his ship leaves orbit.

Year: 2041

A planet looking suspiciously like our old capital-in-exile enters our empire.

Huh? This is new. But I’m not complaining.

Tratsys is now a planet in our empire.

Our shipyards are still waiting on parts.

Apparently this “relic” worked, the cost for transporting that many people would normally be almost twice as much.

Also some of you may have noticed a certain detail in that screenshot. :v:

Our debt is at catastrophic levels. Welp. :shrug:

Anyway, time for planet Walter to receive its customary ten year boost.

What, Tratsys? Don’t be silly, that was a planet in Round 1. There’s no planet called Tratsys in Round 2, we’re in a completely different sector of space now!

Year: 2042

Since we have four scouts and we’re doing more and more poo poo with our growing empire, the time of turns without messages is slowly ending.

Phaison enters our empire. This of course means another scout free to be send to another star system. With the map slowly filling, this gets progressively harder without accidentally hitting a system already colonized by an enemy empire.

Phaison has a relic, too! Welp, in this universe having a nice climate counts as a “relic”, apparently.

AJ_Impy reaches Alloylux. gently caress, this means two scouts I have to give new orders to. Using the map is always a pain.

poo poo. Looks like Emperor Cimbri is in trouble, his popularity dropped 18% in a single year and is now barely enough for reelection. And by this I mean there’s only a 50% chance of instant Game Over instead of the 100% we get when popularity drops lower.

At least we have 28 years to repair this damage. Since the only really dumb thing we’ve done is making a giant debt mountain, I’m guessing these two events are related to each other. Looks like I have to switch on the economy AI soon to drag us out. Too bad the AI empires never have trouble like we do.

Building five loving medium sized ships brought us to the edge of total collapse.

This loving game :suicide:

First thing, instant Game Over is a more serious threat right now then waiting a couple extra years on our ships. I boost consumer production massively. Our ship building will suffer, but hopefully a couple more PS4s into our people’s homes will make them overlook our economic crisis.

Another emergency measure: Boosting population growth makes people happier, so I’m doing this. 2% boost looks awfully cautious, but please remember, we don’t want our capital to get too high population, either.

I’m sure none of us want to find out the hard way how bad it can get if our capital, centre of production and population, flips over to the bad site.

And with this new crisis, the year 2042 ends. Next time: Crisis in Infinite Lowtax (Alternative title: The Great Debtventure.)

:shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 11, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Libluini posted:

Edit:

Something funny I just noticed: As soon as I sat down and wrote a nearly 3k words long introduction for my future MOIII-LP, votes for another game started rolling in. :suicide:

Clearly you should just do them both. :v: Not because I voted for the MOIII LP or anything.

I'm wondering if anyone's ever written a FAQ or strategy guide for this game, because the mechanics are so weird I really wanna know exactly how they function.

Also, hell yeah, in charge of the awesome fleet... which will never get anywhere because it's too fat and slow. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Clearly you should just do them both. :v: Not because I voted for the MOIII LP or anything.

I'm wondering if anyone's ever written a FAQ or strategy guide for this game, because the mechanics are so weird I really wanna know exactly how they function.

Also, hell yeah, in charge of the awesome fleet... which will never get anywhere because it's too fat and slow. :v:

I'm really hoping I can keep you alive for that long, considering our first four destroyers took nearly twenty years to build. :v:

(In a testgame I tried building the larger ships first. Building started some time around 2070. And never finished, thanks to an early Game Over. :shepface:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'll be naming my next discovery after Imperatoria to Underscoria. Hopefully I can maintain my Nostrum location streak.

• Locked thread