Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

pillsburysoldier posted:

They may have been asked not to until arrangements were made to delegate their responsibilities and such. It still very much is a small school and there likely aren't a lot of redundancies that can easily absorb their now-vacant jobs quickly.

Yeah, there are still tons of walking dead, it just hasn't been announced so the day to day functions don't get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chichevache posted:

To be fair to Starr "I was raped at Baylor" could have meant anything! It could be referring to Sallie Mae repayments, or a violent rape by a non-Baylor person the victim invited onto the campus, or really anything. It didn't have to mean rape rape. It could be anything.

There is also a chance the sender could have been a guy, and then the Paterno defense comes into play.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

anne frank fanfic posted:

It was only rape cause one party wasnt thinking long term. Potential money, champs, nfl draft money, superbowls?? All that was possible

Ok, I think the schtick has gone on long enough.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

That thread actually gives me a little hope because there are a ton of people trashing the people with these viewpoints. Happy to see its not an echo chamber.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

That can't be true.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sash! posted:

I don't even understand why colleges have police in the first place. Some sort of security force makes sense, of course, but actual police from the local government should be doing the actual police work.

In a lot of states, University Police Departments are funded and staffed through the State PD. Its just a different branch, and helps make it so counties and cities aren't funding the police force, which for a school of say 40,000 is substantial.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Basically its $40 million to Briles, or fire Briles for cause and lose all federal funding plus fines from the DoJ for wanton Title IX violations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah there is supposedly no written report that names names and spells out the specifics. There is a "finding of fact" that is very damning but leaves it unclear as to who exactly did what. Apparently the firm made an oral presentation to the BOR that included a lot of those details, but they didn't want it put in writing. I'm not exactly sure what they're afraid of since they're not subject to FOIA and it sure seems like a written assessment prepared by the school's law firm would be privileged if anyone tried to make them hand it over in a lawsuit.

Settling with Briles makes sense, because right now they don't have to disclose this stuff, but if Briles sues them for breach of contract it will be hard for them to win without revealing specifics of whatever they say he was involved in. Sucks that Briles gets a big payday for being a scumbag, but why stop now I guess.

They are afraid of subpoenas from the DoJ. Not having a written report and only an oral presentation allows them all to run the Alberto Gonzalez defense.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Is McAfee the guy who is just chilling in Honduras or Belize and doing bath salts all day?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Reminds me of this series which is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So what I am seeing is Briles gets an undisclosed buyout and avoids a show cause and Baylor gets to sweep everything under the rug. Its a win/win!!*

*unless you are a victim of sexual assault at Baylor, past or future.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Honestly its not the NCAA's area, but after seeing what happened at Penn State, if the DoJ gets involved the NCAA will absolutely drop the hammer on Baylor.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nervous posted:

I wonder if the Baylor Athletic Department has one of those "Days without a workplace injury" clocks on the wall except it's for sexual assaults instead.

Probably, but it just keeps going up since she was asking for it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

To be fair, he meant he doesn't know what he looks like, and its not really the coaches job to play security.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oakman was gone before Grobe got there. Like, even if he knew what he looked like, its not gis job to play locker room security. So the real question is how did he get in really? If a coach helped dude has got to go. If players smuggled him in, you need to have a talk with security.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Didn't they only even have that position for a few months? Like I remember a huge complaint being they didn't have a Title IX coordinator to begin with.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thats almost as big a tragedy as when those Penn State students had their weekend ruined.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Pre Law and Religion?

Someone has to make sure fags can't get married in the future.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It's similar with med school, like about half my class had degrees in biology or biochemistry. About 35% had a degree in some other science, and the rest were in humanities or business. I got two degrees, one in philosophy and one in physics and they were much more interested in my philosophy degree. Professional schools now are looking more and more for non-traditional students since poli sci (for law school) or biology (for med school) are literally all over the place.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Everything a law firm does is in writing.

Not really. The report was never recorded outside of whatever notes the people hearing it decided to take. I am sure someone somewhere wrote down some statements, but I am sure they were destroyed after giving the report to the Board. This whole thing was designed to make it so that nothing could be subpoenaed or leaked to the press.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the idea behind not presenting a report is to make any existing records covered under attorney-client privilege.

Exactly. Its the same reason why you can't make a defense attorney testify against their client even if they know they are guilty. The lawfirm could have lots of notes, documents, recorded interviews etc. and they are all untouchable unless Baylor and the lawfirm have a lawsuit against each other over the matter. The presentation to the board and any existing documentation or notes taken at that meeting are the only things that are subpoenable. If the presentation is entirely oral and no/limited notes are taken, then there is nothing to subpoena. Yes, its exploiting a "loophole", and its really bad optics for Baylor but its been made clear from day 1 they don't give a poo poo and only care about themselves. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Shady assholes are going to do shady assholish poo poo.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

She should just quitely forward all these messages to their employers HR department saying they are all going public in three days.

Oh who am I kidding, like these people are employed...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Well when you factor in the lawsuits and settlements from a subpoenaed report, then yeah it makes sense.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It's still something though, but not ideal. Baylor should be mentioned in the same breath as Penn State, and probably worse. With Penn State you had one perpetrator and maybe a handful of people covering it up. There is tons of evidence that the entire program at Baylor was trying to cover up rape.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am not trying to compare the crimes, just the degree to which the institution as a whole was complicit in covering them up.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DJExile posted:

Likely sexting to a freshman, a couple reports were stressing that the recipient was over 18.

Still, a staff/student relationship is considered unethical. Good on the new coach for taking a hard line stance assuming it came from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also remember that the assistant coach who blew the whistle on the whole thing was blacklisted and couldn't get an interview anywhere. Noted shithead Coach K is on record saying he shouldn't coach again because he didn't show loyalty IN COVERING UP A MURDER.

• Locked thread