Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

anne frank fanfic posted:

We'll make it fit -both baylor and the rapists slogan

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

buddhanc posted:

The baylor athletic chaplain testified for the defense. The victim previously went to the chaplain and told him the while story. Then the chaplain testified in defense of a rapist.

holy poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

You're severely overestimating how much a random McLennan County jury cares about Baylor football, much less when the defendant is a big scary black man.

The cases of Jameis Winston and Lizzie Seeburg beg heavily to differ.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

hahaha when Will loving Muschamp says "nah we're good. this guy is too lovely of a person for my liking" you must really be a god awful piece of poo poo

Seriously, goddamn :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

In light of the recent events out of Waco, Baylor regents will remove sixth-year university president Ken Starr by the end of the month, according to a report from Chip Brown.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ken Starr finally got someone fired for a sex scandal

lmao

and yeah I think there were a bunch of reports saying Baylor would can Starr before they considered dumping Briles.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Does Ken Starr sue Baylor for this or do you think he got a ton of hush money?

There was some talk that he'd be fired as President but just moved to some position at the law school where he'd get the same pay. Basically just gets him out of the limelight.

To be fair I don't know if that's all Chip Brown or what, but it wouldn't shock me if that's what they did.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

some shithead sports talk guy in Detroit is leading off the next run of victim blaming

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jubs posted:

Ken Starr did an interview with ESPN. Things did not go well.

holy poo poo :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Briles released a statement that basically says nothing

quote:

Baylor Nation:

My heart goes out to the victims for the pain that they have endured. Sexual assault has no place on our campus or in our society. As a father of two daughters, a grandfather, and a husband, my prayers are with the victims of this type of abuse, wherever they are. After 38 years of coaching, I have certainly made mistakes and, in hindsight, I would have done certain things differently. I always strive to be a better coach, a better father and husband, and a better person.

Keep in mind, the complete scope of what happened here has not been disclosed and unfortunately at this time I am contractually obligated to remain silent on the matter. The report prepared by Pepper Hamilton, the law firm hired and paid for by Baylor’s Board of Regents, has not been shared with me directly, despite my full cooperation with the investigation. I can only assume that the report, which is not independent, supports the conclusions that the Board has already drawn. I hope to share with you what I was aware of as soon as I can so Baylor Nation can begin the healing process.

I have the utmost admiration for Baylor University, its community, and its important mission. I am truly grateful for having the chance to coach hundreds of young student athletes at this University. I am deeply humbled for having had the opportunity to be a part of Baylor Nation.

Coach Art Briles

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sir Plus posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

How does this keep getting worse?

jesus

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

Is McAfee the guy who is just chilling in Honduras or Belize and doing bath salts all day?

That's him!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously, they haven't been admitting to anything for decades now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Except Penn State didn't "crack", Penn State was blown open by people who finally came forward combined with some fantastic investigative reporting, it wasn't anything the school ever admitted to.

It was blown open to the point that the NCAA had no choice but to respond. They'd rather ignore most of these issues (partly because they aren't law enforcement) every bit as much as the schools themselves ignore women on their campuses being raped.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Penn State's also a... I don't know the exact word, semi-public? school, so the Freeh report was likely coming out one way or another.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

effectual posted:

It's odd he bothered using the word black along with the dogwhistles.

Art filed to be removed as a defendant from the case, not sure how that works. "I know I helped Al Capone launder his money, but I got fired so I'm jot doing it any more"

The case is against the university. He's arguing the suit being against the university prevents him being sued as an individual.

E: One of our legal eagles ITT can probably explain this better than I can but I think he's arguing that the suit only specifies a case against Baylor University and never named Art specifically.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 7, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chichevache posted:

We tried telling him "no". He just wouldn't listen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

The DA is finally asking for the pepper hamilton report

about drat time

Is this an asking thing or demanding thing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scionix posted:

if the DA gets it you can FOIA that poo poo with the quickness cant you?

Hard to say, if it's about any ongoing investigation(s) it may not be FOIA-able.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The death penalty isn't for criminal matters, nor should it be. Baylor is reprehensible but you really don't want the NCAA getting into legal/criminal issues.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

You guys are just now questioning an AFF post?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so dogs are more protected at baylor than women

good to know

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I could maybe understand Grobe not knowing him but jesus Baylor come on now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

2 more women have joined the class-action suit against Baylor, and their Title IX coordinator has resigned

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Baylor dismissed a JC transfer on Monday. School said that was Grobe's decision, Grobe said it was the school's, assistants all pull out some Art Briles hashtag

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Weary of being scapegoated by the university, the football staff simultaneously tweeted the hashtag as a sign of solidarity and protest.

A day later, according to a report from KWTX, Baylor will not take any action against the staff standing up against the university and will allow the tweets to stand. From the report:

Athletic Director Mack Rhoades met privately with at least one coach late in the evening, and indicated nothing would happen to the staffers who sent tweets, sources said.

He also encouraged the coaches to focus on the season.

lol of course not

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mark Schlabach posted:

Baylor University on Tuesday launched a Web site to provide more details about the sexual assault scandal that led to the firings of university president Kenneth Starr and football coach Art Briles and the resignation of athletics director Ian McCaw this summer.

In an open letter to Baylor alumni and students that was obtained by ESPN on Tuesday, interim president David E. Garland wrote that he "directed the University to be more transparent wherever possible about the sexual assault crisis that has severely impacted our campus, our alumni and the entire Baylor family."

"Both the Administration and the Board of Regents are taking this step because we came to understand that, in order to heal, the Baylor family needs more information about what happened and why," Garland wrote.

Garland said the Web site, https://www.baylor.edu/thetruth , will provide details about what happened at Baylor and the school's efforts to learn from its mistakes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

So when is the death penalty coming then?

hahahahahahahaha yeah, that's not happening.

Not that they don't deserve it, but yeah if you think the NCAA is doing anything of note about this beyond maybe a bowl ban, you're sadly mistaken.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/former-baylor-ad-reportedly-asked-for-immunity-for-foot-1788513277

quote:

Crawford says that Baylor officials were not naive that they had a sexual assault problem, but instead may have brought Crawford on as a scapegoat. She also says that at an emergency meeting on February 4 with former athletic director Ian McCaw, former VP Reagan Ramsower, and others, McCaw asked for “immunity for all football players that were still at the university.” Crawford says, “I looked around the room and everyone had their heads down. And I said no.”

gently caress this entire institution

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat that is perfect

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I want to be mad at that, but it's also not like I was expecting them to do anything :geno:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaaahhhh ok that makes more sense

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sounds like a bit more than a scuffle too

quote:

As KWTX reported this evening, Nielsen approached James McBride, a reporter for a small local paper called the Texas Blaze, on the field after the game and allegedly grabbed him by the throat. McBride told KWTX that he was trying to take a photo with a player, when Nielsen came up to him and yelled “No interviews on the field!” McBride said that Nielsen tried to “tomahawk chop” his phone out of his hand, after he which he grabbed him by the neck and pulled him back.
McBride said that he and Nielsen had a history, and that Nielsen was unhappy with his coverage of the team. After the scuffle, McBride says that Nielsen told him, “You’ll never loving work in this business again.”

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"We totally could have released a written report, except it would have been soooooooo expensive"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There is zero chance this ends in anything but settlement, sadly

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol get hosed art

Art Briles posted:

First, that anyone (Baylor student or otherwise) has been hurt, physically, sexually, emotionally, or spiritually is tragic. I would do anything in my power to try and prevent that. Let me be clear: I did not cover-up any sexual violence. I had no contact with anyone that claimed to be a victim of sexual or domestic assault. Anyone well-versed in my work as a coach knows that I strove to promote excellence, but never at the sacrifice of safety for anyone. I did not obstruct justice on campus or off. When I was alerted that there might have been an assault, my response was clear: the alleged victim should go to the police, report it, and it should be prosecuted. And I never knowingly played anyone with a sexual assault allegation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Can't find anything about what the "inappropriate texts" where

(Not that I don't want to see the school/program burn)

Likely sexting to a freshman, a couple reports were stressing that the recipient was over 18.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

Still, a staff/student relationship is considered unethical. Good on the new coach for taking a hard line stance assuming it came from him.

Oh no question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

186 posted:

:lol: if you don't think this is going to happen

Seriously

• Locked thread