Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
God drat am I ever glad that we didn't hire Art Briles. What a loving lowlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Crossposting from the Horrible Football Posts thread:

quote:

God wants us to win football games. He forgives sin and mistakes and he detests pious message board posts. It's very possible (and I think likely) Briles and our team is being sacrificed by misguided individuals who actually believe winning is "nice" but not important. Baylor being kicked out of Power 5 status will create a downward spiral of irrelevance both in the sports world and every other world. This could have been handled where we do right by God without concerning itself with the anti-Christian media but the BOR decided that to do right by God they had to do right by ESPN. Huge mistake that will cost us millions and jeopardizes our relevance.

I don't know you [Poster] and I imagine you are a great Godly man who desires to be even greater but this Football doesn't matter as much as our image concept is harmful and at the root of self destructive and unfixable snap decisions.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Chilichimp posted:

You don't see anything wrong with allowing an alleged rapist to walk away, unpunished and uninvestigated?

What's your mom/sister/wife/daughters address so we can pass it along to the Baylor admin? I'm sure you'll get a loving clue about why that is a horrifying proposition.

Getting "rid of a predator for once" by pushing them on another school is gross as gently caress, bruh!

But if the person is no longer a Baylor student, Baylor no longer has any ability to punish that person, so I don't really see why or how a disciplinary process would continue. If the alleged conduct was a violation of the law in addition to being a violation of the school's code of conduct, it's on the police/prosecutors/courts to pursue criminal penalties. Baylor University does not have the authority to investigate crimes and punish people for violations of the law if those people are not Baylor students or employees. If Baylor is in possession of information that may be relevant to the investigation of a crime, they should certainly turn that over to the relevant authorities.

Nobody's saying the crime shouldn't be investigated or that rapists shouldn't be punished, only that Baylor University is not the proper institution to carry it out. Waco PD and the Waco DA's office would seem to be the ones falling down on the job here.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

hobbesmaster posted:

Baylor has a PD. They are the primary department responsible for investigating crimes on campus.

Well, if any law enforcement agency is talking about dropping a criminal investigation in exchange for the accused withdrawing from Baylor, that is beyond reprehensible. Even more so if the school is exerting some kind of influence to make that happen. I think a lot of University PD's pass more serious crimes on to the other local law enforcement agencies, but regardless, someone should be investigating this. And it should be a law enforcement agency, not a bunch of school administrators.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So are they doing it? They can't actually do it, can they?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yeah there is supposedly no written report that names names and spells out the specifics. There is a "finding of fact" that is very damning but leaves it unclear as to who exactly did what. Apparently the firm made an oral presentation to the BOR that included a lot of those details, but they didn't want it put in writing. I'm not exactly sure what they're afraid of since they're not subject to FOIA and it sure seems like a written assessment prepared by the school's law firm would be privileged if anyone tried to make them hand it over in a lawsuit.

Settling with Briles makes sense, because right now they don't have to disclose this stuff, but if Briles sues them for breach of contract it will be hard for them to win without revealing specifics of whatever they say he was involved in. Sucks that Briles gets a big payday for being a scumbag, but why stop now I guess.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

swickles posted:

They are afraid of subpoenas from the DoJ. Not having a written report and only an oral presentation allows them all to run the Alberto Gonzalez defense.

But could the DOJ actually get it? What's the argument for it not being privileged attorney work product? I guess you could try to say it wasn't prepared "in anticipation of litigation," but that seems like a tough argument to make when the school hired an outside law firm to come in and conduct this investigation. I feel like lawyers are not who you would ordinarily hire to do that job if you weren't looking to know who has a valid case against you and what the extent of your liability/exposure will be.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
lmao

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Oh wow, In-n-Out and Potbelly? Thank God Waco finally got a couple of fast food options. It was brutal just having like 7 Whataburgers plus McDonald's, Wendy's, Popeyes, Panda Express, Long John Silvers, Burger King, Subway, Sonic, Dairy Queen, Chick Fil-A, Arby's, Taco Bell, Jersey Mikes, KFC, Raising Cane's, Jimmy John's, Golden Chick, Jack in the Box, Schlotzy's, Quizno's, Carl's Jr and Taco Cabana

Didn't y'all get a Fuego too (I think that place is pretty deece)

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 24, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Ohhhh poo poo Patrick Hudson come on down to Austin bro

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Baylor OG (Texas transfer) Rami Hammad was arrested for stalking. He was apparently waiting for the girl when she got to class, she told him to leave, but he was still there waiting for her at the end. She told the professor she was afraid for her safety, so the prof accompanied her. Hammad followed them to the prof's office and began banging on the door, at which point the prof called the athletic department and got no answer several times before giving up and calling the police.

Have you learned nothing Baylor?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yes it's a good thing that it was handled by the cops instead of the AD, that was my whole point. The prof should have called the police first. Picking up the phone to call the AD not just once but several times and only going to the police as a last resort would suggest that some very alarming behavior is still being referred to the AD instead of the cops.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 2, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

Would anything (besides decency) have prevented Baylor seeing the oral presentation and saying, "great job, now destroy all of your notes"?

Yes. They were obviously well aware that they were facing multiple lawsuits from alleged victims and the notes would contain information relevant to those lawsuits. There's a concept called spoliation of evidence. If a judge finds that Baylor deliberately destroyed documents to avoid having them examined by that judge and/or handed over to the plaintiff during discovery, the judge can assume that whatever was in those documents was the worst possible thing for Baylor.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DJExile posted:

The death penalty isn't for criminal matters, nor should it be. Baylor is reprehensible but you really don't want the NCAA getting into legal/criminal issues.

Yes, good point, it should be the DOJ rather than the NCAA that erases Baylor and Waco from the face of the Earth.

Cut to Loretta Lynch speaking to Janet Reno's mask: "Show me again the power of the flames... and I'll let nothing stand in our way. Show me, and I will finish what you started."

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
God drat, fuuuuck Baylor. I hope they come in to Austin undefeated and highly ranked and we just ruin their whole poo poo.

The undefeated part seems likely, since they only play one team with a pulse before they get to us. At the end of October. Unfortunately their schedule leading up to us is bye week, Kansas, bye week, so they can spend three whole weeks planning and practicing to beat us. Plus the part where our team is not that good.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Someone will hire him because he's the best offensive coach there is, but god drat talk about putting a target on your back. If anything at all goes on under his watch, wouldn't the school need to be seriously, seriously worried about the DOJ taking a IX-pound poo poo on them for knowingly bringing in a guy with that history and allowing history to repeat itself? I mean I think even Baylor's little summary report thing they released said it was a violation to bring in players with a known history of assault, wouldn't the same apply to anyone who lets Briles anywhere near their program?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh you done hosed up now, Baylor. The NCAA is one thing, the DOJ is quite another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Very on-brand

• Locked thread