Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chilichimp posted:

Depends on program need, and Muschamp needed a loving QB to save his job.

This is off topic for this thread but Muschamp actually thought he had the pieces he needed, it's amazing how clueless he is about offense. After he was fired he specifically talked about how much talent he was leaving behind, and McElwain is like 'I only have 7 scholarship offensive linemen, wtf Will?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how both he and the AD originally survived long enough to resign.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wondered if the website had a place to leave comments. It does not, which might be really smart.

Although it looks like it was set up by someone who doesn't understand how the internet works, so maybe it's just luck.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Definitely bruised up if this pic is the real thing:

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/740260142789361665?ref_src=twsrc

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Toilet Mouth posted:

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but my impression is that the point of a campus investigation is to determine whether the student deserves punishment up to or including expulsion or not, not to create the all-time authoritative account of what exactly happened.

#1 Yes you are, as usual in these discussions

#2 I don't think the point of a campus investigation should be "well dude, transfer and all of this goes away. Otherwise we might find something inconvenient to both of us."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

Because the victim is still a student, isn't she?

I wouldn't go assuming anything here, this is Baylor.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

"The conclusion is inescapable that the motive of Baylor and the Board of Regents was to use its head football coach and the Baylor athletic department as a camouflage to disguise and distract from its own institutional failure to comply" with federal civil rights protections, Cannon wrote to Baylor's attorneys in the latest development in a scandal that has gripped the world's largest Baptist university for months .

Well yes, I guess I have to agree with that. That doesn't mean you weren't hip deep in all of this too though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I believe Baylor being a private institution protects them from FOIA requests? That or makes it easier to nitpick and not release things for spurious reasons, one or the other.

I think they also claim there is no written report as such, they just got verbal updates/reports from the law firm.

e: After thinking about it (not a lawyer obviously) I'm almost sure FOIA just doesn't apply to private schools/institutions.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 17, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

rebel1608 posted:

How many years of contempt imprisonment could AFF rack up?
(reference quote from USPol thread)

This is mild compared to the rest of that image dump.

e: Why was this linked? I can't stop reading it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 23, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

So what I am seeing is Briles gets an undisclosed buyout and avoids a show cause and Baylor gets to sweep everything under the rug. Its a win/win!!*

Has the NCAA said they aren't going to look into Baylor/it's not something they can punish for?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

skaboomizzy posted:

maybe they'll just go back to wishing they're Kansas State, I guess.

For a while there Baylor wished they were Kansas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/765621164865499136?ref_src=twsrc

I want that judge to order the Pepper Hamilton report released more than ever now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You guys are just now questioning an AFF post?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I mean, if he is coming back doing so as an offensive coordinator who isn't in charge is the best situation to hope for. So if he has to come back I hope he goes to Miami under Richt for exciting football reasons. For human reasons I hope he gets blackballed but no way in hell that's happening without the NCAA deciding to give him a show cause out of nowhere.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

"There's this meta-narrative out there, and you're echoing it because it's your job,” [Starr] told Smith. “And then there's reality."

Goddamn I hope the PH report is released in full in one of these court cases.

e: Holy poo poo the spin:

quote:

“I have great confidence — to this day — in Coach Briles,” Starr said. “If there was a question of integrity, you fire the person for cause. Art Briles was not fired for cause.”

He wasn't fired for cause because he threatened to drag Baylor through the courts and make all of the dirty laundry public.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 24, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pillsburysoldier posted:

You know who's really getting the shaft here? Art Briles.

I mean, we also have to consider Ken Starr.

e:

big juicy nectarine posted:

He deserves some justice, agreed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

That Works posted:

:qq:

Man you seriously want this so bad to be a narrative on "the football kids weren't the cause of everything thus are still defensible" don't you?

He's probably right (for once) that the problem is much bigger than football. But they didn't even really, truly throw football under the bus except in some initial press either so...yeah they're just trying to make the problem go away without addressing anything. I suppose Art Briles is a pretty big sacrifice. Hell I don't know, they probably think Ken Starr is too. But the rest of the staff who were almost certainly complicit are still kicking around (including Briles' son) and it doesn't sound like the university as a whole has any interest in doing anything other than waiting for the storm to blow over.

poo poo just look at all the 'well it was off campus so it isn't our business' excuses when one student was raping another. It sounds like they're still pressing for victims names and I cannot imagine it's for any reason other than to shame them with the way everything else has gone down there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

Chafin played in nine of 13 games the following season, including the opener. He was charged with marijuana possession in March and suspended by Briles immediately for spring practice before being reinstated to the team.

This is one of my favorite things about this whole mess. Rape/beat on women all you want, but my god if you smoke a joint there will be consequences.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fast cars loose anus posted:

This quote makes me very angry

To be...fair? Unfair? I'm not sure which.

That's just my impression of donors everywhere, they funnel money into programs and want wins in return, drat everything else. Well drat everything else other than feeling like they're in the loop and appreciated, they really want to feel that too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Was that the son that was molested?

I mean, probably in reality. But no, it was the other adopted son who was on the record saying he was abused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Does Liberty need a new Associate Director for Football Operations?

• Locked thread