Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Frackie Robinson posted:

You know, having read the article I really don't have a good defense any more, I guess I've just got to admit that the amount of enjoyment I get watching the team outweighs the amount that this actually bothers me. I'm going to go ahead and forfeit my right to discuss this matter any further, because I'm unable to look at it objectively.

What's up horribly shamed college football body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chieves posted:

Wow, I know I'm supposed to hate Baylor and laugh at their incompetence and them being terrible and all that (frogs b*tch), but after reading through all of that ESPN stuff, this is all completely depressing and awful, now.

I think if you are looking at a rape scandal as an opportunity to talk trash on a divisional rival you are actually a huge piece of poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

anne frank fanfic posted:

Shocking Baylor Scandal: some rapist dude got kicked off the team and sent to jail following a police investigation. Meanwhile the entire state of Pennsylvania is pedophiles and JT "Florida State" Winston Barrett is raping everybody inbetween shoplifting.

Ah, I see you must be an alumni of UMAD

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ken Starr finally got someone fired for a sex scandal

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

PyPy posted:

And just like the Catholic priest pedophilia scandals, a religious institution is behind one of the most heinous cover-ups in the modern era.

Maybe cancer atheist guy was on to something

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

An investigation is called out as biased towards the Board of Regents by a shamed coach

where have I heard this before

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sir Plus posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

How does this keep getting worse?

Wow no wonder Clinton got away with saying hummers don't count

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

186 posted:

If Penn State taught us anything, it's that there's always more and it's always worse.

Case in point :stare:

I remember telling people when the Penn State thing started that PSU wasn''t unique and that every fanbase was terrible and it would just take a similar controversy to bring it out

I stand justified.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

v2vian man posted:

TO WAVE IN HUMAN GREETING

Prepare rictus
Engorge neck folds
Raise claw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

Maybe if the NCAA had burned Penn State's program to the ground like they should have, Baylor might have fallen in line and made their reports public to plead for mercy.

Yeah annihilating an institution for an ethics violation would absolutely make other institutions more willing to admit ethics violations great take

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

holy gently caress

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Intruder posted:

Holy poo poo

He's transcended normal villainy and ventured into cartoonish supervillainy

Like, I was willing to think Briles may have just been a normal lovely person football coach who prioritizes winning and doesn't necessarily condone rape but puts up blinders so he can win games but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he was offering roofies in exchange for commitments

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Its genuinely incredible how awful this all is

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I don't see how it can't honestly. I don't think the current atmosphere of the country is such that this can be swept under the rug.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

It's awful but I struggle with incredible because it's completely unsurprising. Everything they're doing is very, very credible considering the history of big time college football.

Its no much the original crime and I found incredible as much as the continued actions of the university after it was exposed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

General Dog posted:

Who is this?

It's Dave

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

not gonna lie, super happy I read that whole thing

Favorite part:

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 23, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Plus I looked it up and he was already committed for six years to an institution

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

swickles posted:

Honestly its not the NCAA's area, but after seeing what happened at Penn State, if the DoJ gets involved the NCAA will absolutely drop the hammer on Baylor.

I am really worried about the future of college football is Penn State got heavy sanctions and Baylor doesn't. If a university learns to keep its mouth shut and it will make out better than a university that in any way cracks, we are never gonna see anyone admit to anything ever again

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That was the point. If you don't go after a university clearly trying to cover-up wrongdoing you are reinforcing the habit of doing it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

And Baylor is in the same situation and trying to burn the evidence

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

rebel1608 posted:

Penn State released the Freeh Report to the public whereas Baylor is not even writing down the Pepper Hamilton report; that's the big difference.

I do imagine that if the Freeh Report had been more institutionally damning the BoT might have had more temptation to cover it up. The Freeh Report suggested the BoT was more or less non-culpable and that it was a small group within the University that oversaw the coverup. The Pepper Hamilton report sounds like to blows up everyone in the administration.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

rebel1608 posted:

You may be right and if I'm remembering the sequence of events correctly, by the time the Freeh report was ready Spanier and Curley had been indicted, Paterno was dead, and of course Sandusky was long arrested and indicted, so no one still in power was condemned by it.

So a difference in that sense, but even so I think the point about being open vs. being secretive still stands depending on what the NCAA does

Oh totally, plus, a lot of what was used to indict Sandusky did come from testimony from McQueary et al. I think they were confident enough it would not come back to bite them, but if they were part of the Baylor administration they probably just would have plead the fifth and hoped Sandusky not being indicted would protect them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

old white racist texan football fan

well I never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

we have awoken the sleeping ham

• Locked thread