Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If that is even remotely true how does that program not get the death penalty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Briles is a real piece of poo poo

quote:

Former Baylor coach Art Briles, in an interview with ESPN’s Outside The Lines, defended his decision not to meet with Jasmin Hernandez, a former Baylor student who was raped by former Baylor linebacker Tevin Elliott in 2012, despite a promise that he would.

According to a report by ESPN, Briles backed out of the mid-June meeting once he reached a settlement with Baylor regarding his wrongful termination suit. Lawyers for Hernandez claim Briles used the potential meeting with Hernandez as leverage for his settlement.

“[Briles] used the threat of helping Jasmin in her lawsuit against Baylor as leverage to negotiate his wrongful termination claim against Baylor,” attorney Irwin Zalkin said. “He doesn’t care about victims. He never cared about victims. He’s using victims. He used them to help build up his football program, and now he’s using Jasmin to leverage more money out of Baylor.”

On Monday, Briles said legally he couldn’t meet with Hernandez.

“Well, I would have loved to have done that, I would have loved to have been able to make that meeting but through Baylor and the settlements that were involved, I was not able to attend due to that,” Briles said. “I would have loved to have a chance to tell her how sorry I was that she got victimized.”

Briles said he couldn’t comment on the matter because of “legalities” but that he would be able to in the near future. He did note that he would welcome “the opportunity to speak with her.”

Hernandez, who also appeared on Monday’s Outside The Lines, was skeptical.

“It’s unsurprising to me [Briles didn’t show up] and while I’m sure he would like to go around and tie up loose ends and make public acts of attempting repentance, it just doesn’t come across to me as sincere and I think what he said in his interview with ESPN speaks volumes,” Hernandez said. “Actions speak louder than words and we see his actions here as he put himself and his settlement with Baylor, which is obviously very important to him, above that.

“And then when it comes to just words such as I’m sorry, saying ‘No comment’ instead is just an action that is consistent with his past behavior. To me, it’s just a reflection of his character.”

Briles did say that if he did have an opportunity to meet with the victims who were assaulted by former members of the Baylor football team, the meeting, in his mind, would be productive.

“I’d tell them I’m extremely sorry and my heart aches. And we’d probably have a, hopefully, a good cry session, and then a talk session, and then hopefully a good hug session because it just appalls me that somebody could victimize another human being and there’s no place in society for it and I’ve never condoned it and never will.”

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

gently caress Baylor.

• Locked thread