Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Phnom Penh is a notoriously bad post for B visas, and unfortunately for your friend adverse consular decisions are not subject to any appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

peak debt posted:

A Cambodian national resident in Cambodia without Thai dual-citizenship applying for a visa in Thailand probably puts you on another computer-filtered shitlist. Why would anyone do that if they weren't trying to trick the process.

They permit third-country nationals to apply for visas in Bangkok, although discourage it. I've sent clients seeking different kinds of visas (especially E-2s) consulate-shopping, but can't see any advantage for a Cambodian national not resident in Thailand to do this for a B-2.

Sorry I don't have any positive suggestions here, OP. This is what we call consular absolutism - sometimes you just can't get there from here with US visas. Unless your friend is on a watchlist, there's not likely to be any prejudice to applying again, and again.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

The larger question isn't, " Why would you do that?" it's, "Is there a system in place that blackballs you if you do." I would bet at minimum the record is shares and the answer is yes, but I have yet to hear direct knowledge that this is the case from anyone with experience in the embassy here.

State Department missions to various countries generally set their own policies in regard to whether third-country nationals can apply for which visas. I posted a link above from the US Embassy-Bangkok where they say that it is permitted, but not encouraged. I'm not aware of any agency-wide policy blackballing applicants for forum-shopping.

• Locked thread