Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Why even care if it walks like a duck, and probably quacks like a duck? its an interesting twist, but it kinda throws the other metal gears chronologically off, like what if Big Boss in 1 & 2 and MGS 4 is Ahab and not the real one? why would the real one want a nation of soldiers and away from bullshit when all the emotional impact was on Ahab?

Also with two big bosses running around, what happens to the other one in the rest of the games? it seems like a loose end, or a cliffhanger meant for Metal Gear Solid 6 but with Kojima leaving who knows what will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea people are bitching about 'not really seeing Boss' story' but...I'm pretty sure regardless who we're playing we're still gonna see that story. If I'm playing a dude who just looks and acts exactly like Boss and interacting with people Boss is connected to and in a world Boss partially helped create (and probably BB himself, there's no way the game just will ignore BB) I'm still getting that story.

That said I don't expect a cliffhanger. I'm figuring if this is Fake Snake or whatever we're gonna die in the big finale and Big Boss proper will step in to take back command and all that.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That said I don't expect a cliffhanger. I'm figuring if this is Fake Snake or whatever we're gonna die in the big finale and Big Boss proper will step in to take back command and all that.

But what about my arm upgrades,

How can i check Ocelots racing heart as he thinks about BB with my bio arm if i don't have one!?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amazing Member posted:

But what about my arm upgrades,

How can i check Ocelots racing heart as he thinks about BB with my bio arm if i don't have one!?

Big Boss, in tribute, cuts his own arm off too. War brothers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's someone on Gamefaqs translating pictures of the guide he can get. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718564-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/72361094

Only big thing I can make out so far is that Skullface takes out Zero between Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. Skullface injects him with a parasite that eats away at his brain and he's comatose by the time Phantom Pain takes place. In 1977 he goes to Big Boss(in a coma) and says goodbye. Sometime before he goes comatose he creates the AIs to take over.
EDIT: Sounds like Zero was actually protecting Big Boss. The attack on Motherbase in Ground Zeroes was all Skulface's idea, he calls in Ocelot to watch over Big Boss as he's in a coma, he gave Miller money to start up Motherbase again for Big Boss' eventual return, ect.
EDIT: Parasites are the nanomachines of the 80's. The skull soldiers(and Quiet who is related to them) are powered by parasites, there's some parasite "language" that Code Talker invented, maybe something about parasites infecting people's vocal cords.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 22, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Spoilers brought live to you from a special preview event

http://imgur.com/4Krk9i3

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You know we're not looking at one detail: some gameplay videos have Snake with the big chunk of whatever sticking through his skull and some don't. Given that, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the clone thing is true BUT at some point we switch to the real Big Boss.

We know there's at least one significant enough timeskip (probably a year at least) for D-Dog to grow into an adult.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mokinokaro posted:

You know we're not looking at one detail: some gameplay videos have Snake with the big chunk of whatever sticking through his skull and some don't. Given that, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the clone thing is true BUT at some point we switch to the real Big Boss.

We know there's at least one significant enough timeskip (probably a year at least) for D-Dog to grow into an adult.

No, D-Dog doesn't grow like a real dog. It looks like it's just a couple ingame weeks for him to grow up. It's just like building new MB struts.

Mr.Electric Ocean
May 6, 2007
I really hope playing as a double of Big Boss is a red herring. My gut reaction to that is profound disappointment, but this is entirely without context I guess? I really hope that the guides leaks are intentionally misleading us and my desperate internal reasoning is the following from the blurb about the guide on Amazon:

Someone tell me I'm right just so my lovely nerd rear end can still hope everything is going to go exactly the way I want it to.

But on the other hand, the evidence is that...

- From FOX two phantoms were born
-Hideo Kojima said Big Boss has only ever been in one coma. He was comatose after MG2 and throughout most of MGS4
-There's no shrapnel in his head when he's getting revived by the trauma doctor, yknow, the guy that declares he...went...into a...coma?
-what the gently caress

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Kojima has talked about having the plot cone out differently than before, seems like he meant peace walker stylr and we have piece together whats going on by doing different things to unlock different missions that give more plot info. Gonna be fun seeing people who never played peace walker freak out.

Speaking of, anything in the guide about outer ops? Having my squads get ptsd after a mission is making me believe peace walker is the best game ever.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Remember the mgs3 leak? When they were casting it the whole plot got leaked and that sounded kinda lovely and obvious on paper (cept for bee man of course) and when we finally got it the paper was missing tons and tons of tiny details that made it great.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The game takes place in 1984, around the start of the AIDS epidemic.

The "weapon to surpass Metal Gear™" is obviously HIV.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The game takes place in 1984, around the start of the AIDS epidemic.

The "weapon to surpass Metal Gear™" is obviously HIV.

This is actually pretty close if the weapon to surpass Metal Gear is the parasites. Oh man I really hope Kojima doesn't link that poo poo with aids.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr.Electric Ocean posted:

I really hope playing as a double of Big Boss is a red herring. My gut reaction to that is profound disappointment, but this is entirely without context I guess? I really hope that the guides leaks are intentionally misleading us and my desperate internal reasoning is the following from the blurb about the guide on Amazon:

Someone tell me I'm right just so my lovely nerd rear end can still hope everything is going to go exactly the way I want it to.

-Hideo Kojima said Big Boss has only ever been in one coma. He was comatose after MG2 and throughout most of MGS4
-There's no shrapnel in his head when he's getting revived by the trauma doctor, yknow, the guy that declares he...went...into a...coma?
-what the gently caress

well between mg2 and mgs4 he is brain dead and burned to poo poo. he is basically Frankensteined using parts from liquid and solidus. also i think the shrapnel emerges overtime. plus one of the mgs guides (1 i believe) says he lost an arm at some point.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Mr.Electric Ocean posted:

-what the gently caress

I rewatched the hospital gameplay and you cant see any horns on him, they might be slightly hidden by the bandages but if they are they must be REALLY small. Not even a bump on his head.

EDIT: I lied. It was hidden by bandages, there's an earlier debut from when Moby Dick Studios released their promo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxTOlXF3Kk

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 23, 2015

Mr.Electric Ocean
May 6, 2007

Amazing Member posted:

I rewatched the hospital gameplay and you cant see any horns on him, they might be slightly hidden by the bandages but if they are they must be REALLY small. Not even a bump on his head.

It's a small one under the bandage, but I'm talking about the E3 trailer/the trailer you see after you beat GZ. Paz gets popped and BB gets thrown back in the helicopter, there's no debris in his head. Unless a massive chunk flew deep into his brain and the passage of time in TPP is the debris being pushed out of his brain gradually? Just over a week til there are some solid answers I guess.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vikar Jerome posted:

Speaking of, anything in the guide about outer ops? Having my squads get ptsd after a mission is making me believe peace walker is the best game ever.

They exist. Except now you can optionally play through them too.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
This is from this year's E3 trailer:

The effect on the right side looks almost identical to the way it looked in MGS3, after Snake lost his eye.

No other scene in the trailer is in eyepatch-vision. The real Big Boss in disguise, watching his double? It certainly supports all those spoilers out there.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's just D-Dog vision.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

John Luebke posted:

This is from this year's E3 trailer:

That's interesting, and hard to spot because the light on the left looks normal and distracts from the curved darkness. Good catch

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think you guys are looking for clues where there are none.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yikes, this thread is getting too full of spoilers; I'm out.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Either way, from what I've read so far, the idea behind this seems to be similiar to Raiden's introduction in MGS2. Both you the player, and your character in the game are just nobodies thinking they're the real deal and in the end it turns out the real Big Boss just used you and is completly dicking you over for his own goals.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm clicking this thread because I'm really excited about the best video game ever made but I also don't want to be spoiled about the best video game ever made so I'm scrolling through the pages real quickly so I don't see any spoilers. Anyways this game is gonna own, later.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
So how do you pronounce the name of the new Metal Gear?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Katamari Democracy posted:

*snorts in phlegm, lowers voice, screams* METAL GEAR??????

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sa-hel-anthro-pus

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Funky Valentine posted:

Sa-hel-anthro-pus

Thank you

Control Volume posted:

*snorts in phlegm, lowers voice, screams* METAL GEAR??????

Thanks for this too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sahelanthropus is also an extinct hominid genus from central Africa, so we'll probably be fighting Getter Robo Metal Gear on the Africa map.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Mokinokaro posted:

They exist. Except now you can optionally play through them too.

Wait, really? I've heard that they'll have more tangible effects, like sending people out to gently caress up supply facilities so enemies are short on stuff in the field (ala blowing up armories/food storage in Snake Eater) but I've heard nothing about actually playing the outer ops. loving rad if that's true.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The cool part is that it's going to be way crazier and more conceptual than anything that people are getting from the guide's implications. I think it's gonna be like the "you are Raiden" conceit that got reduced to just a dog tag thing in MGS2, like maybe you are playing as your own brain transplanted into Big Boss' skull or something. It's going to be loving weird and i'm excited

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Moartoast posted:

Wait, really? I've heard that they'll have more tangible effects, like sending people out to gently caress up supply facilities so enemies are short on stuff in the field (ala blowing up armories/food storage in Snake Eater) but I've heard nothing about actually playing the outer ops. loving rad if that's true.

Yeah it's shown briefly in the Mother Base walkthrough video where they play a very short bit as an herbalist getting plants from the warzone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I also don't believe that Venom/bb would be a clone or someone else. This sounds like it's supposed to be a pivotal moment in Big Boss' evolution. I have a feeling that the Ishmael pages are just Konami/Kojima loving with us.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EDIT double post.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yikes, this thread is getting too full of spoilers; I'm out.
:byewhore:

oh wait

D-walker Deluxe (with cheese)

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah it's shown briefly in the Mother Base walkthrough video where they play a very short bit as an herbalist getting plants from the warzone.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that was just them playing with one of the MB soldiers in free mode/a side op, because you can use them in place of BB in all but the main missions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope it's like Peace Walker in that you have to use Big Boss the first time for main missions but after you can use other soldiers if you want. And there are also side missions that can't be done by Big Boss.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea people are bitching about 'not really seeing Boss' story' but...I'm pretty sure regardless who we're playing we're still gonna see that story. If I'm playing a dude who just looks and acts exactly like Boss and interacting with people Boss is connected to and in a world Boss partially helped create (and probably BB himself, there's no way the game just will ignore BB) I'm still getting that story.

I agree with this. Big Boss is 'the legend', or a story/personality that can be applied to anyone. At the same time I think it is pretty unfortunate that you aren't the same 'Big Boss' that went through Snake Eater. If it covers up any loose ends it would be that some people might argue that the real BB should be all disfigured similar to Skull Face after what Solid Snake does to him in Metal Gear 1/2, so his reveal at the end of MGS4 could make a tiny bit more sense.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So the Berets that youngMantis and Eli had in their epaulettes were Red Right?

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Ocelot_Unit

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I saw that "Skullface plans to wipe out the the English language itself to free the world!!" was listed as a spoiler when he literally just says that outright in the Japanese version of the Elegia trailer. Seeing people speculate based on the specific wording and sound cues used in the English language trailers alone is pretty funny considering that part of his motivation :v:

I guess the parasite aspect is new though :can:

standard owl fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 23, 2015

• Locked thread