Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't MGO supposed to be releasing this month? I haven't heard jack squat about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Isn't MGO supposed to be releasing this month? I haven't heard jack squat about it.

they've been running mgo betas on steam already sooooo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As if anyone's looking forward to that now. :smith:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The PC beta is pretty garbage. I'm not sure how it works on console but on PC if the host leaves everyone loses their kills and poo poo if I doesn't migrate properly. Also almost none of the cool stuff is unlockable without real cash

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's alright but nothing I would "seriously play" if that makes sense. The objective modes are surprisingly less fun then the TDM mode.

How do you get to play as Snake and Ocelot?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

How do you get to play as Snake and Ocelot?

Someone has to set up a game session allowing it. I've never found an automatch that has it enabled, but if you search for a game with characters allowed you might find one.

Does any play Comms Control or Cloak & Dagger anymore? The only matches I can find are Bounty Hunter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I've decided to enter the uncharted world of Metal Gear fanfilms, starting with this short that came out in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Vm7a7bQ9U

For an amateur independent short that had like zero budget (EDIT: According to the website of the filmmakers, this was made on a mere $3,000) and was probably made by people of little experience in filmmaking (This is the only directorial credit I can find for Agustin Rodriguez on IMDb at least), it's actually not completely terrible? It's better than a lot of stuff I've seen that originates on YouTube at least, though I realize I've added some heavy qualifiers here. I like it- it still kind of captures the goofy but earnest tone of the earlier MGS games, despite the obvious issues that would come with such a production.

I'll be watching Metal Gear Solid: Philanthropy next. Are there any others fanfilms, shorts or feature length, that were actually finished?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 19, 2016

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
More soundtrack chat. Be warned, it's thorough:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that Venom had a leitmotif in this game. I say it's embarrassing because it's all over the place and appears in so many important cutscenes that once you know what to listen for you'll be amazed you didn't hear it sooner. His theme is "V Has Come To" and, from that track, two or three leitmotifs that are associated with Venom appear repeatedly in different tracks throughout The Phantom Pain. I decided to try and make a list of all the tracks that feature Venom's leitmotifs and, in doing so, realized that Big Boss has a leitmotif as well - called "The Other Shadow" - despite the fact he's in the game for about twenty minutes and only appears as himself for about thirty seconds. Even though "The Other Shadow" only appears associated explicitly with Big Boss in his one cutscene in The Phantom Pain, I found that the theme of "The Other Shadow" also appears quite prominently in Ground Zeroes, noticeably whenever Big Boss is heroically carrying either Chico or Paz to safety, so I am confident that it is intended to be Big Boss' leitmotif and I decided to keep track of that as well.

Originally, the point was to try and analyze some of the tracks that weren't included in the game to see if I could interpret what they might have been used for based on the leitmotifs present in them. Turns out that might be possible since some of the tracks that weren't included in the game definitely feature Venom or Big Boss' theme in them. And one features both Venom and Big Boss' theme combined together in a way that is completely unique. Makes you wonder...

Below are all the tracks that I identified as containing Venom or Big Boss' leitmotifs in them with time stamps where applicable if it is not immediately evident. Venom's theme "V Has Come To" actually has two (maybe three) distinctive leitmotifs and I do not always indicate which one is present in each track. However, once you listen to "V Has Come To" and then a few examples from the rest of Venom's list you'll quickly learn to recognize them. Big Boss' theme is much more straightforward: he has one distinctive leitmotif and, once you know what to listen for, you'll hear it clear as day.

I don't have much knowledge of music terminology so bear with me when I try to describe the manifestation of these leitmotifs because sometimes the game does cool things with them that I had difficulty describing. I also can't speak much for any symbolic significance of the leitmotifs because I don't have any musical knowledge, though It wouldn't surprise me if the two themes were mirrors of each other or something like that.

The tracks are listed in the order they appear on the OST and the Extended OST. I placed the OST tracks first, followed by the Extended OST tracks, which is why tracks that appear close to each other in-game aren't always near each other on the list below. The only exception is "The Other Shadow", which I placed first on Big Boss' list even though it is a track from the Extended OST, just to establish his leitmotif.

Venom's Theme

V Has Come To: Plays during the end of the prologue as Ocelot describes Miller's imprisonment and leads Venom to the whaling ship. This is Venom's Theme and it features several different leitmotifs that appear in many other tracks throughout the game.

You Can Call Me Ishmael: Plays when Big Boss burns Quiet and then introduces himself to Venom. Features a few notes of "V Has Come To" at ~00:39, which syncs up with the moment when Venom lifts his prosthesis to the ceiling to catch the burning flower petals.

Return: Plays during the final cutscene of Chapter 1, as Venom and the rest of Diamond Dogs return to Mother Base with Sahelanthropus. Features an ominous remix of parts of "V Has Come To" throughout the track.

Shining Lights, Even in Death: This is an interesting track, which plays over the concluding scenes of the mission of the same name (Mission 43). The track opens with a reprise of the Peace Walker main theme, which plays as Venom stares at the cremation of his infected soliders. A quiet rendition of "V Has Come To" then begins to play. At ~02:35, a triumphant version of "V Has Come To" plays, which syncs up with the moment when Venom smears the ashes of his dead soldiers on his face. However, the dark version of "V Has Come To" ("Behind the Mirror") begins to play at ~03:17 and builds in intensity until the end of the track, which syncs up with the moments when Venom declares that "We are Diamond Dogs".

Disarmament: Plays during the Disarmament cutscene. I believe I can hear a few notes of "V Has Come To" played on the piano at ~01:00, followed by an acoustic riff of the same notes at ~01:20.

Venom: Plays when Quiet first arrives at Mother Base and Venom sends her to the brig. During the last half of the track (from ~2:30 onward), a remix of the dark version of "V Has Come To" ("Behind the Mirror") appears and builds in intensity until it plays in full force, which syncs up with the moment when Venom declares he will eventually kill Quiet himself.

The Last Road: Plays during the approach to OKB Zero in Mission 30. This track is peculiar. It features a slowed down version of "The Other Shadow" (Big Boss' theme), detailed below, an acoustic rendition of "V Has Come To" (~01:15 - ~01:35), further snippets of "V Has Come To" appear as the track continues, and then suddenly a piano rendition of "Sins of the Father" (~02:04 - ~02:45). The track ends with the quiet sounds of the beat from the dark version of "V Has Come To" ("Behind the Mirror"). I can't help but think this track wasn't originally planned to be played outside OKB Zero.

Behind the Mirror: Plays during the conclusion of The Truth when Venom listens to the Man Who Sold the World tape, punches the mirror, and disappears into the darkness. This track's last half (from ~01:39 onward) is the dark version of "V Has Come To" that I repeatedly mention above. The climax of the track, which is the most distinctive part of the Venom leitmotif, plays at ~02:37 and syncs up with the moment that Venom, now a full demon, regards himself and then shatters the mirror.

Regret and Acceptance: By far the most intriguing track on the OST. Between its evocative name and the fact it sounds to me like the last part of the track (specifically, ~03:30 onward) is a combination of "V Has Come To" and "The Other Shadow" (Big Boss' theme) together, I'm dying to know what the original context for this song was and whether it was in fact an encounter between Big Boss and Venom.

Let the Legend Come Back to Life: Plays during the opening of Mission 1 as Ocelot and Venom enter Afghanistan and Ocelot urges Venom to become Big Boss "again". A rendition of "V Has Come To" appears briefly at ~00:40 and then again at ~02:28.

Fighting for the Future: Plays during the opening of Mission 2 when Miller tells Venom to bring down Cipher for what they did to MSF and Venom explains that he's fighting for the future, not the past. A brief piano rendition of "V Has Come To" appears at ~01:00 and then again at ~01:50.

Vengeance: Plays when Venom and Miller leave Skull Face for dead, only for Huey to finish him off. Features elements of "V Has Come To" throughout.

Concerning the Infection: Plays as Venom flies to the Quarantine Platform and Miller and Codetalker explain the circumstances of the second outbreak. Features elements of "V Has Come To" throughout.

Outbreak: Plays when Venom learns about the second outbreak and decides to go in alone despite Miller's protests. The "V Has Come To" leitmotif first appears at ~00:54 and repeats throughout.

Facing a New Dawn: Plays when Codetalker uses Wolbachia to treat the original Kikongo outbreak on Mother Base. The "V Has Come To" leitmotif appears at ~00:53.

Kill Them All: Plays when Venom is forced to kill his men during the second outbreak to prevent them from escaping outside. The last part of the track features a decisively twisted version of "V Has Come To" (~02:54 onward), which syncs up with the moment Venom draws his gun and first opens fire on his men.

Demon: Plays when Venom walks through the hallway filled with the corpses of his soldiers, transforming into a demon. Surprisingly, this track doesn't actually feature any part of "V Has Come To" but I include it for completion's sake.

9 Years: Plays in the trailer for The Phantom Pain that is included in the next-gen versions of Ground Zeroes. The first "V Has Come To" leitmotif appears at ~00:43 and an epic version of the second plays at ~01:07.

The Kingdom of the Flies - It's Not Over Yet: Plays during Venom's final conversation with Eli in the Kingdom of the Flies. A slow rendition of "V Has Come To" plays at ~02:30, which syncs up with the moment when Venom leaves Eli a gun with one bullet.

From the Ashes: I don't know where exactly this plays in the game or if it even does. Where it's placed on the soundtrack suggests it occurs somewhere in the Prologue after Big Boss and Venom exit the hospital but I've looked and I can't find it. Regardless, it's a slow rendition of "V Has Come To".

A New Haven: Plays when Venom brings the child soldiers back to Mother Base. The "V Has Come To" leitmotif plays throughout.

Retrieving the Token: Plays when Quiet burns herself retrieving Shabani's token. An acoustic rendition of "V Has Come To" plays at ~00:50.

Big Boss's Theme

The Other Shadow: Plays during Big Boss' true appearance at the end of Mission 46 as he mounts the motorcycle and rides off into the sunset. Its distinctive leitmotif is heard most clearly between ~01:09 - ~01:28.

Withered Peace: Plays when you're carrying Paz to the LZ in Ground Zeroes before the guards notice she is missing. "The Other Shadow" leitmotif is heard at ~01:22.

The Girl's Gone: Plays when you're carrying Paz to the LZ in Ground Zeroes after the guards notice she is missing. "The Other Shadow" leitmotif plays throughout, most noticeably at ~01:56.

Bloodstained Anthem: Plays during a combat alert phase when you're carrying Paz to the LZ in Ground Zeroes. "The Other Shadow" leitmotif plays throughout.

The Fall of Mother Base: Plays during the end of Ground Zeroes when Mother Base is destroyed by XOF. Now, I'm not sure that "The Other Shadow" actually appears in this track but I swear I hear elements of it so I'm including it be safe. If it doesn't, then I'm including it anyway for completion's sake cause it's a drat good track.

The Last Road: Plays during the approach to OKB Zero in Mission 30. A slower version of "The Other Shadow" appears between ~00:40 and ~01:10. As mentioned above, the Last Road features Venom's Theme as well (and Sins of the Father, which is implicitly about Venom and Big Boss). It does make me think that The Last Road was meant to be play before some kind of meeting between Big Boss and Venom, rather than outside OKB Zero.

Regret and Acceptance: As mentioned above, it sounds to me like a combination of "The Other Shadow" and "V Has Come To", which make me curious about how the track was originally meant to be used.

GROUND ZEROES: Persued [sic]: Plays during a search phase when you're carrying Chico to the LZ in Ground Zeroes. I believe I can hear "The Other Shadow" leitmotif briefly between ~00:43: ~00:50.

Paz is Dead: This excellent track is a combination of all of the Ground Zeroes leitmotifs, including Big Boss' theme, Paz's theme (Love Deterrence), and the ambient Ground Zeroes music. I believe that if there was ever going to be some kind of flashback to Ground Zeroes, perhaps at the conclusion of the Phantom Paz sidequest, this would be the track that would play. "The Other Shadow" appears throughout the track.

Okay, that's all I could find. I might have missed some but it can't have been many.

Doing this definitely gave me a greater appreciation for the soundtrack of MGSV. I loved the distinctive and memorable GZ OST but was comparatively underwhelmed by TPP's, which seemed to only have a few notable tracks. To be fair, some of the best tracks (Regret and Acceptance, Paz is Dead) weren't actually included in the game, but I do think TPP's OST does have more good tracks than people give it credit for. I did miss Harry Gregson-Williams though and I wish he hadn't taken a secondary role for the music in TPP.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 26, 2016

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBE0eG5K1r6/

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Finally made it through this thread and I'll just say that not only are people unable to infer anything that isn't directly spelled out to them, even when it is spelled out for them they still can't process it.

"This character's motivations make no sense even though they explicitly explained it to me and it actually does make sense but I'm a moron" -goons

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Subyng posted:

Finally made it through this thread and I'll just say that not only are people unable to infer anything that isn't directly spelled out to them, even when it is spelled out for them they still can't process it.

"This character's motivations make no sense even though they explicitly explained it to me and it actually does make sense but I'm a moron" -goons

What are you trying to say here?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I think it was a metaphor.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Are people still talking about this terrible game? Just let MGS3 live on in your heart and forget everything that came after.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

notZaar posted:

Are people still talking about this terrible game? Just let MGS3 live on in your heart and forget everything that came after.

This game owned, sorry.

What are all the NeverBeGameOver people up to these days, did they ever break into that Manhattan building?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

This game owned, sorry.

What are all the NeverBeGameOver people up to these days, did they ever break into that Manhattan building?

They did and all they found inside was 3 adolescent clones of Hideo Kojima

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

notZaar posted:

you post poorly

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

This game owned, sorry.

most of them post about anything kojima or konami do and somehow link it to chapter 3. they are also spend their time complaining about nukes/konami conspiracy in which konami have fake fobs set up with fake nukes and also post the lamest loving theories with complete distregart for the text. i think the last time i check everything was in huey's head but also huey was d-dog all along.

oh wait, no the latest theory was how null and grey fox were two different people or some poo poo. i stopped clicking on posts and just assume its all stupidly moronic these days.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Raxivace posted:

So I've decided to enter the uncharted world of Metal Gear fanfilms, starting with this short that came out in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Vm7a7bQ9U

For an amateur independent short that had like zero budget (EDIT: According to the website of the filmmakers, this was made on a mere $3,000) and was probably made by people of little experience in filmmaking (This is the only directorial credit I can find for Agustin Rodriguez on IMDb at least), it's actually not completely terrible? It's better than a lot of stuff I've seen that originates on YouTube at least, though I realize I've added some heavy qualifiers here. I like it- it still kind of captures the goofy but earnest tone of the earlier MGS games, despite the obvious issues that would come with such a production.

I'll be watching Metal Gear Solid: Philanthropy next. Are there any others fanfilms, shorts or feature length, that were actually finished?

no its terrible and all fan films of anything are also terrible and you should stop encouraging them.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Subyng posted:

It's not just goons. Video game players don't care about innovation or creativity. They only want imitations and instant gratification. Video games will never be art because any time a developer takes a creative risk challenging preconceived notions there's a huge backlash. People just wanted this game to be a simple good guys vs the bad guy revenge story where the good guys become the villains at the end AND IT WILL BE SO EPIC OMFG. It's really sad.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ausmund posted:

It's not just goons. Video game players don't care about innovation or creativity. They only want imitations and instant gratification. Video games will never be art because any time a developer takes a creative risk challenging preconceived notions there's a huge backlash. People just wanted this game to be a simple good guys vs the bad guy revenge story where the good guys become the villains at the end AND IT WILL BE SO EPIC OMFG. It's really sad.

Is there a huge backlash? Aren't there complaints for the story of every MGS game, maybe MGS3 less than the others? I dig all of them, and I love the story of MGSV, as minimalist as it may be in comparison to the style of the others.

On the road to the release plenty of people were hyped to see Big Boss become the villain, not everybody is looking for simple good vs evil. As for what we got, it was not what I was expecting, but I love it. The ending cutscene in particular I find very cool.

That said, you are practically playing a saint in much of this game, saving kids and whatnot. I'm sure game stories could get a lot darker than this one. (Granted, I've seen the point raised that raising kids on a mercenary dictator guy's base could be kind of dark)

Also caveat, everybody seems to love Silent Hill 2 right? I guess that's a vote for games as art.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 29, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are you really saving the kids though? I mean your guys say you are, but Diamond Dogs is not exactly some humanitarian organization.

At least one of those children are killed under your watch even, going by what explicitly happens in the text.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Raxivace posted:

Are you really saving the kids though? I mean your guys say you are, but Diamond Dogs is not exactly some humanitarian organization.

At least one of those children are killed under your watch even, going by what explicitly happens in the text.

True, I edited the post right after since I recalled this having been discussed before. It's all about context but I do feel largely for a mercenary story, you're playing a pretty good guy. Not quite like hitting the "evil" button in a Bioware game or something. But sure it's definitely not clean cut.

Ausmund posted:

People just wanted this game to be a simple good guys vs the bad guy revenge story where the good guys become the villains at the end AND IT WILL BE SO EPIC OMFG.

That's a simple story? The good guys becoming the villains at the end is kind of uncommon isn't it? Especially in mainstream gaming, I can't think of many examples offhand. Seems atypical.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heavy Metal posted:

Is there a huge backlash? Aren't there complaints for the story of every MGS game, maybe MGS3 less than the others? I dig all of them, and I love the story of MGSV, as minimalist as it may be in comparison to the style of the others.

On the road to the release plenty of people were hyped to see Big Boss become the villain, not everybody is looking for simple good vs evil. As for what we got, it was not what I was expecting, but I love it. The ending cutscene in particular I find very cool.

That said, you are practically playing a saint in much of this game, saving kids and whatnot. I'm sure game stories could get a lot darker than this one.
I've read nothing but complaining.

Also I'm sure the reason the cutscenes are so sparse is they had to cut and censor a lot of content because it was too controversial.

What MGS fans don't understand is the series doesn't have heroes or villains. Solid says this over and over throughout the series, but nobody pays attention. Only different perspectives. This game is about the futility of war, people think they're doing what's best for soldiers and Big Boss's dream, but they're really just trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. They fight to live in the moment, they have no tomorrow. Yet they fight for the future. It intentionally doesn't make sense and subtly demonstrates how mad all the characters are. But on the surface they seem like, thoughtful, rational, professional people. This is why Huey is exiled, hes the only one that sees through this, so he's "not one of us". Unfortunately these concepts fly over peoples heads, and its not what they want to hear, so they make up some stupid theroy how Venom and Naked are secretly at war with each other or something.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ausmund posted:

I've read nothing but complaining.

Also I'm sure the reason the cutscenes are so sparse is they had to cut and censor a lot of content because it was too controversial.

What MGS fans don't understand is the series doesn't have heroes or villains. Solid says this over and over throughout the series, but nobody pays attention. Only different perspectives. This game is about the futility of war, people think they're doing what's best for soldiers and Big Boss's dream, but they're really just trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. They fight to live in the moment, they have no tomorrow. Yet they fight for the future. It intentionally doesn't make sense and subtly demonstrates how mad all the characters are. But on the surface they seem like, thoughtful, rational, professional people. This is why Huey is exiled, hes the only one that sees through this, so he's "not one of us". Unfortunately these concepts fly over peoples heads, and its not what they want to hear, so they make up some stupid theroy how Venom and Naked are secretly at war with each other or something.

The series has heroes. You can have shades of gray and show that both sides in war are wrong, and that the hero is fighting for a cause that may not be completely right etc. And it can raise questions, but I don't think I really need to explain why we'd find courage, heroism, inspiring stuff etc in these characters in the stories.

And it can even be the ol' "kinda nice bad guy" versus "really really bad guy" story. Even if there's crazy corruption on both sides, it's generally a good thing saving a lot of lives etc when the "good guy" role in these stories wins the day. Even if there's still more to ponder.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heavy Metal posted:

The series has heroes. You can have shades of gray and show that both sides in war are wrong, and that the hero is fighting for a cause that may not be completely right etc. And it can raise questions, but I don't think I really need to explain why we'd find courage, heroism, inspiring stuff etc in these characters in the stories.

And it can even be the ol' "kinda nice bad guy" versus "really really bad guy" story. Even if there's crazy corruption on both sides, it's generally a good thing saving a lot of lives etc when the "good guy" role in these stories wins the day. Even if there's still more to ponder.
It's not a morality issue. Morality is relative, like the times. What this series tries to demonstrate is that war is objectively meaningless.

Like what is the point of Diamond Dogs and Outer Heaven? It's lead by a guy that too afraid to let go and set aside his gun. He perpetuates an endless cycle with no ultimate goal. Whether he's nice or not doesn't matter.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ausmund posted:

It's not a morality issue. Morality is relative, like the times. What this series tries to demonstrate is that war is objectively meaningless.

Like what is the point of Diamond Dogs and Outer Heaven? It's lead by a guy that too afraid to let go and set aside his gun. He perpetuates an endless cycle with no ultimate goal. Whether he's nice or not doesn't matter.

What you're saying doesn't conflict with what I'm saying, and I agree that the series tries to demonstrate that war is meaningless. Maybe antihero is a better catch-all term, but if you root for and feel for the protagonist, it's fair to say they're a hero. At the very least, when the series started on MSX it was indeed pretty clear hero vs villain. Got much more layered and ambiguous as it went, but there is some level of "superspy versus supervillains" story in the rubric there.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I trawled through 25 pages of threads and the general MGS thread seems to be inactive.

I just wanted to ask: I've never played or seen a single minute of a Metal Gear Solid game in my life. Can or should I take a dive into MGSV or would it be completely over my head? Both from a gameplay and story perspective.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

kaesarsosei posted:

I trawled through 25 pages of threads and the general MGS thread seems to be inactive.

I just wanted to ask: I've never played or seen a single minute of a Metal Gear Solid game in my life. Can or should I take a dive into MGSV or would it be completely over my head? Both from a gameplay and story perspective.

I have friends in your situation. From a gameplay perspective it's totally fine as 5 is so different from previous entries you won't mind. From a story perspective they had absolutely no idea what was happening at all and were not able to follow the story in any way but they had fun with their open world sneaking simulator

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Play Ground Zeroes first, it's good and like 2 hours long anyway but I'm sure it contains summaries of all the previous (chronological ) games somewhere

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Play Ground Zeroes first, it's good and like 2 hours long anyway but I'm sure it contains summaries of all the previous (chronological ) games somewhere

This, or you can just dive in to MGSV TPP. It doesn't really matter. If you're deep into the stories and lore of the games, you absolutely should play Ground Zeroes first, but since you are totally new to the series, it would be fine to just come back to it later if you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Story-wise you're going to be completely over your head. But that also doesn't really matter. MGSV doesn't center around its story in the way other MGS games do and you can enjoy it just fine by sitting back, letting the weirdness wash over you, and enjoying some sweet stealth action. Gameplay-wise it's pretty different from every other MGS game so previous experience doesn't matter there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can pretty much get the general gist of what's going on, since many characters haven't appeared in other games (or appear in this game for the first time chronologically)(this game is a midquel btw) and there's a vast amount of audio logs explaining every minor detail, but I definitely second that Ground Zeroes recommendation. It's a fun game in its own right and includes summaries of the two games which take place before this one.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

kaesarsosei posted:

You can play it just fine, all the characters have been completely gutted from their former characterization anyways and the story is pretty self contained thanks to a really dumb retcon that I'm not going to spoil.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
MGSV is really accessible and easy to get into, especially if you're coming from other stealth-ish games like Hitman or Sam Fisher adventures.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

uncleKitchener posted:

MGSV is really accessible and easy to get into, especially if you're coming from other stealth-ish games like Hitman or Sam Fisher adventures.

Only problem is you can't dress up as a model and walk the runway. Though given Metal Gear's previous attempts at disguise-based stealth perhaps that's for the best.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, now I'm really sad there isn't a system where you can impersonate key players in missions as long as you recruit someone who looks like them. That would add a whole cool new element to replaying missions and recruiting guys.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Oh man, now I'm really sad there isn't a system where you can impersonate key players in missions as long as you recruit someone who looks like them. That would add a whole cool new element to replaying missions and recruiting guys.

That would be such a Kojima thing to implement, too.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Just bought a PS4 and finished Chapter 1. Great game play but I was disappointed you didn't have a shootout or fistfight with Skull Face. I don't even think his gun is unlockable??

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Budget Dracula posted:

Just bought a PS4 and finished Chapter 1. Great game play but I was disappointed you didn't have a shootout or fistfight with Skull Face. I don't even think his gun is unlockable??

You've reached the end of the roller coaster :) The track ends unfinished over a chasm and now you have a few hours of plunging into darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
gently caress I love this game so much. I went a couple of months without playing it and my memories of it were starting to sour (always a risk when a game has a story that is by design unsatisfying) but I picked it back up last night, and D-Dog jumped a solider and shocked him and howled ("anyone can see that's a wolf!") and it's so drat good. I never got really into invading other people; maybe I'll try to get that "disarm all the nukes" special cutscene or whatever

• Locked thread