Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm assuming that you have to wait for three in-game days to pass. I wonder if Ocelot is all "hurry the gently caress up Snake" as time passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ometeotl posted:

You are everything wrong with the world.

I'm glad I could live up to your wonderful standards.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Party Boat posted:

I'm assuming that you have to wait for three in-game days to pass. I wonder if Ocelot is all "hurry the gently caress up Snake" as time passes.

brb smoking my cigar

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Venom is actually solidus, game takes place right before shadow moses, Miller dying is canon

Also ocelot got shocked into being old by a Jedi just like palpatine that's why his voice got gravelly and he's all spry despite being old as gently caress

qed I solved the game

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Party Boat posted:

You have to wait four days. On the fourth, Ocelot does radio in and say that Miller's probably dead but if you hurry you might make it.

Also, fun trivia: if you rescue Kaz on the fourth day, he will be in really rough shape when you carry him to the LZ. Instead of speaking and asking Snake to say "Kept you waiting, huh?", he'll just wheeze and cough.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 9, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Larryb posted:

How exactly do you get this to happen? Is the time limit Ocelot gave you literal, that is if you don't play the mission for a few days or wait around a certain amount of time Kaz will be dead when you find him?

edit: beat by the dude above. i should really check the next page before replying. :|

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Chapter 3 is coming. I still believe.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Nanomashoes posted:

Chapter 3 is coming. I still believe.

kojima has started his new company (with the same name) but dammit if it isnt devs without borders and the logo has a loving skull on it and i poo poo you not the motherfucker is growing a beard. i half expect an eyepatch by e3.

current hilarious rumour is chapter 3 is due out on christmas day for some reason involving moby dick chapters that predict it. or something.

also the recently released soundtrack has music from return to camp omega and two tracks from mission 51.

#believe

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

#neverbegameover

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

this is what is believed to be the return to camp omega track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVARXWwtJFs

and these two from mission 51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EANzlJyhjjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Ds5g0wkkY

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This is pathetic. The game just has a bad half baked narrative, get over it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know that mustaches are a sign of wisdom and/or respect in Japanese culture. What does the beard mean? Also those music tracks mean nothing, they were probably obtained/created before they decided to cut the content. It's not like there's some mysterious mission 52 track.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I know that mustaches are a sign of wisdom and/or respect in Japanese culture. What does the beard mean? Also those music tracks mean nothing, they were probably obtained/created before they decided to cut the content. It's not like there's some mysterious mission 52 track.

that's because mission 52 is one of those harder older missions. there's about another 8 of them left in the code.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

notZaar posted:

This is pathetic. The game just has a bad half baked narrative, get over it.

I get why people are pining for the excised material, but it's ridiculous to think any more content is coming out for this game. And who cares? What we got is some of the most enjoyable and deep gameplay in a game ever so that's more than enough for me.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I get why people are pining for the excised material, but it's ridiculous to think any more content is coming out for this game. And who cares? What we got is some of the most enjoyable and deep gameplay in a game ever so that's more than enough for me.

we've been getting new content almost weekly.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The extended soundtrack came out recently and it features a lot of tracks that were missing from the game (e.g. the awesome track called "Behind the Mirror - Truth Theme" that plays when Venom punches the mirror and disappears into the darkness at the end of the game) and also a bunch of tracks that were clearly made for content that was cut.

One of the more intriguing is this amazing one called "Paz is Dead", which features all of the letimotifs of Ground Zeroes strung together in one fantastic track and really evokes a return to the time of Camp Omega. Another one, titled "Regret and Acceptance", which features a more epic version of the "Behind the Mirror" track above in its latter half. I can only guess what it was originally intended for but listening to the soundtrack is making me sad about what this game could have been if it had been fully-fleshed out and completed.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 26, 2015

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What story reason would there possibly be to going to camp omega?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The Paz sidequest could have easily lead Venom back there.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The snatchers are back.

Camp omega is where the skulls are being developed.

Extract thd researchers working on Metal Gear

Etc

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Sinners Sandwich posted:

There is a noname informant with information about Cipher that you have to rescue. There is actually no cutscene about this stuff, Kaz just says something about cipher after yo urescue the guy.

Also two tanks area heading in to the camp as reinforcements, you better take them out also.

The closest landing zone is a kilometer off the objective to fill out the padding quota.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Almost any of the rescue missions post-Afghanistan could have taken place in Camp Omega. IIRC, the one with the injured intel team member who tells you about Code Talker doesn't even have any guard dialogue that's unique to that mission, and the mission itself is shorter than most side ops, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was meant to be a more involved mission in Omega and got repurposed into a random guard post in Africa at some point after all the guard dialogue had been recorded.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I just beat the game [solid snake voice] what the hell....

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
[solid snake voice] Hell if I know...

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Oh yeah and did shrapnel gently caress up Venom's eye or did they blind the poor fucker?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

That DICK! posted:

Oh yeah and did shrapnel gently caress up Venom's eye or did they blind the poor fucker?

Someone brought this up a few months back and although it's never outright stated, there is no doubt that Ocelot would have ordered his eye removed if it wasn't damaged in the blast.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Venom's eye is damaged when Paz explodes at the end of Ground Zeroes. In The Truth, when there is the slow motion shot of the shrapnel going into Venom's head, you can see Venom's eye turn grey as the fires lick it.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I think he loses it entirely after the ambulance crash.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

he definitely still has it in the hospital sequence in both versions - but it's already grey, and implied blind (but then again they grey out Miller's eyes during Shining Lights Even in Death's cutscene).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the socket is already damaged and loosened so his eye finally pops out comically and rolls away when he sees Ishmael’s powerful “maxi buns” in the flesh.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
When they flash back to Venom's hospital face during the Volgin corpse theft you can clearly see he still has both eyes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BB never fully lost his eye either, did he? It was just burned to uselessness when Ocelot's bullet went too close.

Unless there's mention of them straight up removing it at some point in 3 or PW that I missed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's right, as far as we can tell, there is still an eye underneath Big Boss's eyepatch, it's just been burnt out by muzzle flash.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

esperterra posted:

BB never fully lost his eye either, did he? It was just burned to uselessness when Ocelot's bullet went too close.

Yeah.
Naked Snake's eye was damaged by Ocelot. Para Medic says that the cornea was damaged and the eyeball was ruptured. So he still has his eyeball after it was healed up but it's blind.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
GIS'ing "ruptured eyeball" returns some pretty wicked images. There should've been a part in 3 where BB stares down Volgin and lifts his eyepatch and there's just a violent red orb looking back at him.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

kojima has started his new company (with the same name) but dammit if it isnt devs without borders and the logo has a loving skull on it and i poo poo you not the motherfucker is growing a beard. i half expect an eyepatch by e3.

current hilarious rumour is chapter 3 is due out on christmas day for some reason involving moby dick chapters that predict it. or something.

also the recently released soundtrack has music from return to camp omega and two tracks from mission 51.

#believe
The concept for ZoE3 appeared to have been about exo-skeletons instead of mechs. Kojima's new logo is a skull in armor.

#believe

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kojima should make Snatcher 2, but only after Blade Runner 2 is released.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Red Crown posted:

Kojima said that this was finally the Metal Gear game he'd wanted to make all along. What he meant was that the entire series has been nothing more than backstory/worldbuilding for his anime waifu, who has memetically evolved from Sniper Wolf in MGS1 to Crying Wolf in MGS 4 and into her final form as QUIET: the naked superwoman who Hideo doesn't have to engage in conversation with because she won't talk.

E: Don't get me wrong, I loved the whole thing except for Quiet. I think finishing out the "lineage" of the Metal Gear Family Tree ties the broad themes of the characters off nicely:

Naked Snake is the memetic son of The Boss, Ocelot is the genetic son.

Peace Walker happens and Naked Snake feels detached from The Boss' vision, and relinquishes the name "Snake" and takes up the title he'd previously shunned, "Big Boss". 9 years later in 1984, he produces his memetic clone, Venom, to inherit his physical empire in the form of Mother Base while he forges his shadow empire Outer Heaven. By 1995, Venom has decided to rebel against Big Boss and claim the entirety of the identity for himself, which leads to his downfall by their son Solid. (at least, as I read it)

Big Boss has three genetic sons: Solid, Liquid, and Solidus.

Solidus is the direct clone of Big Boss, and is used by the Patriots to run their physical empire (America, as President) while they press on to create their shadow empire. In 2009 he rebels against them, which leads to his downfall by his "son", Raiden.

Liquid rebels entirely against Big Boss and everything he stands for at a young age.

Solid is the genetic son of Big Boss but is the memetic inheritor of The Boss: a legendary soldier fighting for peace and self-determination.

If you want to draw out the parallels between MGS2 and MGSV even more, Raiden could be said to be the memetic clone of Solid Snake: he's put through the entire Plant specifically to make him a clone of the "perfect soldier", it's only through Solid's intervention that Raiden goes free. Solid's ability to break the cycle of of megalomania and warlordism leads to the eventual dismantlement of Zero and Big Boss' corruption of The Boss' ideals.

This is an old post but to expand on this even further, later on in Rising Raiden chooses to reject this and live on the battlefield as he comes to realize that killing is all he's really been good at and decides to embrace his legacy as "Jack the Ripper" completely. At the end he even echoes Armstrong's comments about soldiers being forced to die for causes they don't believe in. Too bad we'll most likely never get a sequel as it would be interesting to see where this ends up going, whether Raiden will keep his focus or eventually lose himself altogether, effectively becoming a new Big Boss and starting the cycle all over again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Larryb posted:

This is an old post but to expand on this even further, later on in Rising Raiden chooses to reject this and live on the battlefield as he comes to realize that killing is all he's really been good at and decides to embrace his legacy as "Jack the Ripper" completely. At the end he even echoes Armstrong's comments about soldiers being forced to die for causes they don't believe in. Too bad we'll most likely never get a sequel as it would be interesting to see where this ends up going, whether Raiden will keep his focus or eventually lose himself altogether, effectively becoming a new Big Boss and starting the cycle all over again.

I think Raiden basically has lost his sanity at the end of the game a la The Sword of Doom. He's been paralleled with Big Boss pretty hard as it is, and since he's rejected basically everything Solid Snake tried to teach him or stood for, Big Boss is the logical endpoint for him. It's part of Rising's strategy of undoing the few relative bits of optimism that MGS4 still believed in.

It's an incredibly cynical game, and that's part of why I don't really like it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think Raiden is more like the Boss in that he's sacrificing his own well-being and embracing warfare for the good of the world. He's channeling his own bloodlust for the sake of others, while Big Boss used the excuse of helping others to further his bloodlust.

Raiden knows that he is a tool for war and uses himself as one, big boss refuses to accept that he's a tool desperately tries to not get used as one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ocelot is Rafael Cruz

• Locked thread