Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

NeilPerry posted:

MGSV implies that Ocelot and Miller end up on opposite sides, but in similar roles, backing up one of the clones. It's more likely Ocelot got Liquid to do it.

I mean, you can argue that he's only predicting and doesn't know here, but in general, given how straightforward most of the 'some day in the future, x will happen', I think it should probably be taken at face value that Ocelot probably did it. Besides, it'd be more poignant that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Liquid issued the order to have Miller killed but there's no way he could've done it personally. Miller didn't live anywhere near Shadow Moses island and it's incredibly dumb to think that Liquid could've teleported to Miller's cabin in the woods, killed Miller, then teleported back to Shadow Moses to impersonate Miller so quickly during the course of the MGS1 story.

Pretty sure they say Miller's been dead for three days when they find his body in MGS1, so before Solid Snake even swims to the docks. I'm still a proponent of 'Ocelot killed Miller' because that is a more dramatic and cooler scene in my head than Liquid doing it, just saying that's plenty of time to hop in your Hind D and do whatever.

I'm more interested in MGS2 mentioning Miller's daughter Catherine, who is hopefully the protagonist of MGS: Rerevengeance.

Also, I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but I really like Huey being put adrift in the raft, tossing off his legs to not drown while Ocelot comments about how he'll have to face up to the man he is some day -> Huey drowning himself later in life -> Emma's aquaphobia. Huey is just awful and pathological, and it is kinda cool that they went so hard in on him just being completely delusional. Even in his Peacewalker tapes, there's a lot of weirdness to him, a lot of self-delusion, etc. And it is kinda cool that it comes out as Huey being awful rather than just him being naive.

I mean, however naive you are, you can't look at Hot Coldman and say 'this is a man who is going to bring peace to the world if I help him build an automated nuclear-equipped mobile launch platform.'

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Pretty sure Cipher grew out of the American Philosophers, as part of the CIA and DIA. Big Boss, Campbell, and Solid Snake were all Green Berets. FOX was a CIA venture, FOXHOUND was US Army. The Philospher's Legacy bankrolled it all, and Zero sort of usurped whatever was left of the American Philosophers, and scooped up the splintered Soviet philosophers. I think it's mentioned in Portable Ops that Zero basically wiped out the Chinese Philosophers, so yeah, rip EVA's bosses.

Like, if you're wondering where these guys come from, just assume it is all Jason Bourne sort of stuff where you're a really good Navy SEAL or whatever, then your CO comes and tells you that you're going to be working for some guys at the CIA, and then you keep working for them, etc.

e: I mean as far as Cipher being like three people + computers, as far as spy fiction goes, these guys handling massive intelligence networks of people who don't know who they're working for or why is probably one of the most plausible things in Metal Gear.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 9, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The best part of XOF is imagining that all those times you left bodies laying around in MGS3, smashed things, left the area, then came back later and everything was fixed + all the bodies were gone, is all because Skullface is off camera somewhere dragging the bodies into a pond or burying them, putting stuff back on the shelf.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Skullface shouldn't even have VCP since it's the motherbase attack that gets him banished to Africa in the first place, where he finds 'the garden' etc. The Chicojack is weird and on theme but I don't think it can have been VCP. Maybe it was explained in the Chico Africa missions we never got.

E: I mean, he also had bolts through his heels, so it could just be more maiming for maiming's sake.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Super lame and dumb that skullface only harvested The End's photosynthesis powers and not the bee power parasites Code Talker mentions, imho

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Did they even have those? I thought that was something Code Talker heard about second-hand and the only ones they were able to recover were the ones from The End.

Alternatively: maybe Skully whipped up a batch of bee-parasites off-screen and thats where all the zombie soldiers came from. :v:

Look, they reverse-engineered the vocal cord parasites from backwards-evolutioning parasites in Chinese cattle, they could have found the bee parasites

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Brinstar Brew posted:

You know, as crazy as things in this game get, the most unbelievable element is still that no one shoots Huey

I thought they were actually going to kill Huey, but then I remembered that he has to drown himself in the 90s

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Even in Peacewalker, he's pretty narcissistic and delusional. He's fine working for Hot Coldman until the end of the project when it looks like Coldman is going to actually launch nukes (or maybe because Coldman is also probably going to kill Huey and Strangelove when the project is done).

He's happy to be with MSF, and to build ZEKE, with launch capabilities and stuff, because gosh, it's just going to be a new deterrent for our cool Caribbean Summer Camp!

He has no problem with anything until it starts to hurt him.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time too, but at the same time, every time you came to him with some new information, he told you everything about whatever you threatened him over. But then you come to him with Metallic Archaea, and he tells you all about that. But he didn't volunteer anything about Metallic Archaea or any of that when you first asked him. He absolutely held back on everything until the torture, which makes it more clear he was obviously hedging his bets and he wasn't there to be bros with Snake or anything.

Then with the Strangelove stuff just, haha, he changes his story like three times in the same breath.

So when you go back to Peacewalker, you can see his flexible morals, and you can see how he put his name on all of Granin's research, and was willing to hang with Coldman rather than be outed over that. How he was ready to build ZEKE for MSF, how he blames his dad for his own inability to walk, etc. He felt like a whiny sniveling weirdo in PW, but it was hard to put my finger on it, so I wonder how much of it is intentional.

Also, as someone pointed out, Miller and Snake lost limbs in GZ, but Huey 'gained' legs, so that is a pretty significant marker. Also, Huey struggling to stay afloat in the raft while Ocelot is talking about how he'll 'live for now, but he'll have to face up to the man he is some day' is basically foreshadowing his ultimate fate of drowning himself in his pool.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Gortarius posted:

People have said that the mirror scene is just before Venom gets killed by Solid Snake but... what implies that at all?

I mean it sounds like he is near some warzone...

I guess there is the operation tape.

???????

In addition to what ^^^^ that poster said, the logo change from Diamond Dogs to Outer Heaven in the background behind Venom, which the way it is shown, is meant to demonstrate passage of time.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Does anyone have a list of the descriptions for the Yellow Dot Important combat deployments? I have a dumb pet theory that they are prepping the area (southern Africa) for ~Outer Heaven~

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

sinking belle posted:

nothing happened lol

konami literally barred kojima from appearing on stage, we aren't ready for the bombs he was about to drop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The whole point of Bravely Default is that you're supposed to be jarred into thinking for yourself instead of following the quest markers. You can reach the 'end' of the game like 1/4th through the first part of the story if you really want to. By the second time you're 'repeating' the game, it's started to lay on pretty heavy clues as to what you're actually doing wrong.

If you play the game 9 times it's because you didn't read anything anyone said or watch any cut scenes and mashed A.

Like, yes, it is technically possible to keep playing the game over and over and over in a loop, but the characters literally start telling you 'we can't keep going in this loop, we're doing this wrong'.

People laid into it so hard, but so much of that design is deliberate and party of the story. And not fake 'part of the story' like the 'MGSV has unimplemented features because of The PHANTOM PAIN' stuff.

Like, by the third loop, the fairy that you know is literally the big bad evil destroying the multiverse is telling you 'Keep pressing A, press it a lot, or it'll be very bad, don't stop no matter what, okay, keep pressing it, I'm giving you 5 minutes of button mashing to keep pressing it, but literally don't stop, :)"

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 15, 2016

• Locked thread