Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mangoose posted:

Why does Big Boss have a rock or whatever sticking out of his forehead?

He's already a demon.

Presumably its debris from the GZ helicopter crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

vvv Ohhhhhhh, okay. Wasn't BB "Punished Snake" in Ground Zeroes?

He's "Punished Snake" in the first Phantom Pain trailer from 2013. Before Ground Zeroes even existed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You know we're not looking at one detail: some gameplay videos have Snake with the big chunk of whatever sticking through his skull and some don't. Given that, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the clone thing is true BUT at some point we switch to the real Big Boss.

We know there's at least one significant enough timeskip (probably a year at least) for D-Dog to grow into an adult.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vikar Jerome posted:

Speaking of, anything in the guide about outer ops? Having my squads get ptsd after a mission is making me believe peace walker is the best game ever.

They exist. Except now you can optionally play through them too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's just D-Dog vision.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Moartoast posted:

Wait, really? I've heard that they'll have more tangible effects, like sending people out to gently caress up supply facilities so enemies are short on stuff in the field (ala blowing up armories/food storage in Snake Eater) but I've heard nothing about actually playing the outer ops. loving rad if that's true.

Yeah it's shown briefly in the Mother Base walkthrough video where they play a very short bit as an herbalist getting plants from the warzone.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lasher posted:

Not read into any spoilers too much, but have people tried to link Hayter being "let go" in with this? Like he'll show up voicing the "real" Big Boss at some point?

No, if the fake Big Boss stuff is true then both are voiced by Kiefer.

Hayter's not present because the guy wrecked his voice and can't do Snake properly anymore, as Peacewalker showed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Moartoast posted:

Also I bet we'll get soldiers that end up having better stats than BB in enough ways that we'll eventually just play as an S-rank soldier instead of him for everything but story missions anyways. And story-wise it's still very much going to be about Big Boss, and if speculation is anything to go by the real Big Boss is still going to be very prominent in the game.

As I said earlier, I'd find it hilarious if we play as Venom for part of the game but at some point switch over to the real Big Boss so the previews wouldn't be technically lying.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
An interesting idea.

You know, all I want from thsi thread is a track listing of the licensed music. :colbert:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Motherbase isn't the one that gets attacked, it's your FOB(Forward Operating Base).

No. There are strong hints in previews that MB can get attacked sometimes. It's story/mission related.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flubby posted:

So we're never going to get that bit of the story?

I think we are. I'm betting he's a huge presence in the stuff leading to the "true" ending. Remember it involves replaying the game on expert mode which adds extra bosses (which might be some extra story bits) leading up to 10ish new missions.

I'm actually wondering if the "normal" ending will end Venom's story somehow and we'll switch control to Boss for the sort of new game+ as if we're seeing events from his POV.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BottleKnight posted:

Who is the legendary gunsmith? Is it Sigint? Do we know at all?

Sigint is a Patriot. It's probably someone new.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

There's no way Big Boss is Skullface. It's probably a metaphor thing.

It's obviously a metaphor. It's how the cycle of revenge keeps repeating.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, if it's true there's probably going to be some fun hints scattered throughout. Kojima likes to telegraph stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flubby posted:

Nothing in those spoilers about why that shrapnel seems to be growing into a demon horn. More hallucinations, or maybe Venom Snake sees himself that way?

According to one of the early theories, it's actually a chunk of his malformed skull and not shrapnel, so it might still grow a bit as it tries to heal.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is supposedly the "true ending" twist:

Vemon Snake IS Big Boss. The surgery to swap places with Ishmael never happened due to Quiet's interruption. The game hints they swapped places a lot, partly because due to the damage Snake himself has self doubt about it and he apparently is acting somewhat out of character to Kaz/Ocelot. Supposedly the true ending is him meeting Ishmael who tells the whole truth. And Venom was using the fact he might be a body double to excuse a lot of the poo poo he does in the game, so realizing he's the real deal and has to face the consequences fucks him up mentally.

Honestly if it's true, that's actually pretty drat clever.

EDIT: \/ I did say "supposedly" and it makes more sense than some of the nonsense going around.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 28, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

A full text dump from the game has leaked, thanks to /mgg/.
The GAF spoilers are all true.

It sounds very interesting with how it plays out though and with greater context.

There doesn't seem to be anything from the extra ending in that text dump though. Maybe it's something that's getting patched in? Or, as there's definitely not all the menu text, is hidden in another file?

I'm not questioning the legitimacy, but that text dump isn't "full"

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 28, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

I don't think the "third ending" is actually a thing. It's just people really wanting to be Big Boss.

It's very likely. They're not getting the fact that you are Big Boss. The twist is more that there's two.

Look at some of Ocelot's dialogue in that leak. He brings it up even.

Edit: also some of the guide leaks ate bullshit according to goons in the main thread. Like Quiet isn't vulnerable to water (it actually heals her)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

I'm guessing it time warps back to before the final mission, since you kill your entire base. It'd be a real dick move if you had to rebuild Motherbase again after that.

It doesn't. There are postgame missions.

My guess is that it just rolls back the base itself though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
No one can answer about GZ unlocks as the server needed for the transfer isn't up until Tuesday.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Morale is apparently affected by how much you visit MB and resolve events.

Quiet apparently causes a LOT of negative events when she's left on base since the DDs in general do not like her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That stream also confirmed something about postgame

When Quiet leaves during the story, she seems to be gone for good. You get one more mission with her but never can use her as a buddy again. People are hoping there's a Day 1 patch that at least lets you use her for replays and side ops even if it doesn't fit storywise.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Woah woah hold up where's that? I've never seen or heard of it :stare:

It's the tape from the bald marine in the tape recovery mission, IIRC.

Vikar, transfer on the consoles still seems server dependant and is currently unavailable. I guess they did it that way for people moving up a generation.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The game's style doesn't really leave room for long chats for Boss.

I think the idea was to project the player onto the character more for story reasons.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can also ignore Side Op 150 as that's the one that triggers her final mission (which you are forced into after the op)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

The Japanese voice for Snake/BB is the same across every game, including TPP.

Though he does do separate voices for Snake and Big Boss. The two sound a lot more distinct than Hayter's versions.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dandywalken posted:

Lmao Jesus christ, what the gently caress

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I love that while I was doing the Paz stuff I overheard some of the MB staff wondering why Boss kept hanging out in the construction area.

• Locked thread